Author Topic: A-Roid  (Read 9221 times)

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 11:40:28 am
Quote from: CharSFNiners;383462
I took it as the least athletic sport out of the big 4 (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) and I'd agree and add MLS to that as well.  Of course they're more athletic than golfers.

MLS does not require more athletic ability than MLB.  Hockey is a tough call, but NFL some spots require more and some require less.  NBA is definitely the most athletic sport.

Remember, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, etc. played baseball, not Fabio or Renaldo or Beckham.

I would say MLB CF is about just as athletic, if not more athletic than any other pro athlete.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 11:40:42 am
Quote from: metro;383464
Dieon Sanders dominated the NFL but couldn't bat his weight in baseball.

Michael Jordan couldn't sniff minor league baseball either.

Ricky Willimas a horrible pro baseball player too.

their is no logic to that. these guys werent baseball players. i bet no baseball players could play pro football, basketball or golf.

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 11:43:24 am
Quote from: ninerfan55;383469
their is no logic to that. these guys werent baseball players. i bet no baseball players could play pro football, basketball or golf.

Kenny Lofton, Bo Jackson, Tom Glavine and Tony Gwynn would disagree.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 11:44:06 am
Quote from: 49timesthelovin;383463
Hmmm, that doesn't make any sense.  Often times guys body's will break down late in their career, because of early steroids use.  Everybody loves Griffey, so hopefully that is not the case.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Chipper has taken them before.  Throw Nomarr in that fire too.

Thanks Captain Obvious, as I posted down, I meant HGH, but I guess you couldn't take the liberty to read those two posts that pointed it out ahead of you.  Next time read previous posts before posting.. Thanks

metro

Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 11:44:14 am
Quote from: 49timesthelovin;383466
Bo Jackson.
greatest athlete of all time

strong fast and hand eye coordination

metro

Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 11:45:32 am
???

I played against Ricky Williams alot in pro ball.  He was brutal at baseball.

metro

Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 11:47:24 am
Quote from: Charlotte2002;383471

Akili Smith was a minor league team with me.  

He batted like .089.

that fall he was an All American QB at Oregon

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 11:47:27 am

Are you retarted? There's a lot of cases where players have D1 Scholarships sitting on the table for football, but they get drafted out of HS by a MLB team and they choose to go that route.  Roscoe Crosbey out of Rock Hill, SC was one that sticks out in my mind, I don't think he ever made it to the bigs, but he was drafted and had a D1 scholarship sitting on the table to pretty much the college of his choice.

Jeff Francoeur was either heading to Georgia on a Football schollie or going to the Braves, he chose to go the MLB route. Don't be so niave.

metro

Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 11:48:12 am
Quote from: Charlotte2002;383471

Kenny Lofton was a freak in his day.

49timesthelovin

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 11:51:32 am
Quote from: Ninerballin;383472
Thanks Captain Obvious, as I posted down, I meant HGH, but I guess you couldn't take the liberty to read those two posts that pointed it out ahead of you. Next time read previous posts before posting.. Thanks

Thanks Captain Oblivious, you said that after I said what I said.  HGH is used for that and building muscle.  Steiroids is also used for repairing injuries, they both have negative effects long term.

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #35 on: February 07, 2009, 11:54:14 am
Quote from: metro;383475

He batted like .089.

I'm saying Gwynn and Lofton were big time college basketball players, who probably could have made a career at least overseas in basketball, but both were very good (Gwynn great) baseball players.

Tom Glavine was a big time goalie prospect, which is arguably the most athletic position in hockey, and then was a great pitcher.

Baseball players are athletes, they just get a bad rap from the way the sport is played and guys like David Wells.

I even remember one time in school playing pick up bball and this group of kids had next, never seen them before at the courts but they all seemed to know each other, they complete rolled 3 wins off in a row and left.  Found out after they were some guys from the school's baseball team. (This was legit comp games too, not any BS).
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Jersey Niner32

• Sophomore
Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 11:55:11 am
ARod is a **** anyways
-The rest of his ream, former coach, and most fans hate him.

All this is (to me) is just another reason why he sucks.
- ESPN will now follow him around 24/7 like they used to (and do when he's in the news) with Barry Bonds.

At least Chase Utley is a product of hard work and the fastest swing in baseball
-And by the way (even as a Phillies fan) I don't think Chipper ever used...maybe it's because I couldn't find the proof, but he didn't seem like "that kind of guy." (he was/still is a complete player, not a home run guy.)
Niner Basketball
-The team that is always one year away (maybe this year will be it? :49ers:)
:49ers:

"Jersey Niner has good taste in one of his professional sports franchises.  He gets my vote."  -Pork Chop

shagg49er

• Junior
Reply #37 on: February 07, 2009, 12:09:50 pm
Quote from: CharSFNiners;383462
I took it as the least athletic sport out of the big 4 (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) and I'd agree and add MLS to that as well.  Of course they're more athletic than golfers.

Exactly!  Thank you.  I agree that you have to have some athleticism to play baseball and some baseball players are great athletes.  I also think it has a lot in common with golf in the hand eye coordination and concentration.  I never said it was easy, just that for what its worth they are the least athletic.

Also MLS definitely has better athletes as a whole than baseball.  I by no means watch soccer more than an occasional world cup or olympic game, but having played it as a kid and being around players in college and what not, it is an intensely athletic sport.  Saying they aren't athletes would be like you telling me that ALan Webb or Prefontaine were not athletes.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:47 pm
Quote from: metro;383464
Dieon Sanders dominated the NFL but couldn't bat his weight in baseball.

Michael Jordan couldn't sniff minor league baseball either.

Ricky Willimas a horrible pro baseball player too.

I don't know about Ricky Williams, b/c up until you mentioned him I never knew he even tried baseball.  What you mentioned were two guys that couldn't hit the ball, sorry but in my opinion, that's not athleticism.  It is timing, focus, hand eye coordination, and bat speed.  Having a 40" vert or being able to run a 4.2 40 is not going to help you at the plate.  Good try though.

I'm not saying baseball players are not athletes and I will agree that a good MLB CF is a high level athlete, on par with many other sports.  I'm just saying if you take a summation of athletic ability from every position they're not equivalent to other sports.

Quote from: Charlotte2002;383468
MLS does not require more athletic ability than MLB.  Hockey is a tough call, but NFL some spots require more and some require less.  NBA is definitely the most athletic sport.

Remember, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, etc. played baseball, not Fabio or Renaldo or Beckham.

I would say MLB CF is about just as athletic, if not more athletic than any other pro athlete.

I hope you've played soccer at a decent level and not on a rec league team.  I played against guys who eventually went on to play at Wake, Chapel Hill, and UVA (not slouches at the collegiate level).  These guys could easily run 40 times on par with NFL players, had verticals very similar to NBA players and are required to have the stamina that outlasts any other sport.  MLS may have been a bad comparison since outside of a few players is essentially a minor league compared to the top leagues in Europe.

Fabio, Renaldo, Beckham?  Soccer is the dominate sport in their countries, so yea I don't expect them to play baseball.  Deion was also a standout in track and field at the collegiate level as well, and I want to say Bo was too, but I can't say for sure.

As you somewhat eluded to with your NFL comment, certain sports require certain athletic abilities and among positions in those sports some require more athletic ability.  I just feel baseball as a whole is at the lesser end.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 12:16:42 pm
Quote from: metro;383475

He batted like .089.

There are plenty of pitchers in the league now who would love to bat .150...  what's your point?

shagg49er

• Junior
Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 12:21:13 pm
Quote from: CharSFNiners;383487
I don't know about Ricky Williams, b/c up until you mentioned him I never knew he even tried baseball.  What you mentioned were two guys that couldn't hit the ball, sorry but in my opinion, that's not athleticism.  It is timing, focus, hand eye coordination, and bat speed.  Having a 40" vert or being able to run a 4.2 40 is not going to help you at the plate.  Good try though.

I'm not saying baseball players are not athletes and I will agree that a good MLB CF is a high level athlete, on par with many other sports.  I'm just saying if you take a summation of athletic ability from every position they're not equivalent to other sports.

I hope you've played soccer at a decent level and not on a rec league team.  I played against guys who eventually went on to play at Wake, Chapel Hill, and UVA (not slouches at the collegiate level).  These guys could easily run 40 times on par with NFL players, had verticals very similar to NBA players and are required to have the stamina that outlasts any other sport.  MLS may have been a bad comparison since outside of a few players is essentially a minor league compared to the top leagues in Europe.

Fabio, Renaldo, Beckham?  Soccer is the dominate sport in their countries, so yea I don't expect them to play baseball.  Deion was also a standout in track and field at the collegiate level as well, and I want to say Bo was too, but I can't say for sure.

As you somewhat eluded to with your NFL comment, certain sports require certain athletic abilities and among positions in those sports some require more athletic ability.  I just feel baseball as a whole is at the lesser end.

what he said

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 12:47:05 pm
Quote from: CharSFNiners;383487

Soccer: The sport to play if you feel the need to act like you have been attacked by an AK47 any time you are touched.

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 12:54:23 pm
Quote from: s9er;383493
Soccer: The sport to play if you feel the need to act like you have been attacked by an AK47 any time you are touched.

Soccer:  The sport you play when you don't make any other team.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

CTNiner2009

• Junior
  • Class of 2009
    • Wayton Open
Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:49 pm
So there are going to be no consequences at all for taking roids?  No suspension, no fine, nothing?
Since I started following Charlotte in 2006, I have never seen the 49ers make an NCAA tournament. I hope one day that will change.

CTNiner2009

• Junior
  • Class of 2009
    • Wayton Open
Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 01:00:31 pm
Quote from: Chisox17;383467
As long as my boy Frank Thomas is clean, I'm happy :biggrin:

I could have sworn his name was on the Mitchell report.
Since I started following Charlotte in 2006, I have never seen the 49ers make an NCAA tournament. I hope one day that will change.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #45 on: February 07, 2009, 01:24:55 pm
Quote from: s9er;383493

Quote from: Charlotte2002;383500
Soccer:  The sport you play when you don't make any other team.

I agree, the flopping is bad, but some would say it about basketball too.  

Typical response I heard throughout HS.  Too bad I also played basketball so it had nothing to do with not making another team.  It's fine if you don't like the sport, but to knock it as not athletic, or on par with other high level professional sports, is ignorant.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 01:57:24 pm
Quote from: CharSFNiners;383507

Typical response I heard throughout HS. Too bad I also played basketball so it had nothing to do with not making another team. It's fine if you don't like the sport, but to knock it as not athletic, or on par with other high level professional sports, is ignorant.

Sometimes I think peoples irrational hatred for soccer gets in their way of thinking.  I cant believe that anyone who has watched the sport for even a second would take a shot at the athletic ability of soccer players.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #47 on: February 07, 2009, 01:57:31 pm
Quote from: CharSFNiners;383507

Typical response I heard throughout HS.  Too bad I also played basketball so it had nothing to do with not making another team.  It's fine if you don't like the sport, but to knock it as not athletic, or on par with other high level professional sports, is ignorant.
The top athletes in the world outside the US and maybe Dominican Republic play soccer and not much else. In the US, the top athletes play football, basketball, or track, a few with superior coordination play baseball, and a few top athletes play soccer. Better athletes play soccer if you include the world leagues....but who cares?

This argument never ends because it always depends on how you define athletic ability. Is it a combination of speed and endurance? Then soccer tops baseball any day. Only the top baseball athletes approach the speed required of the world professional leagues (MLS is minor leagues at best), and none of them have the endurance. Is it strength and hand-eye coordination? Baseball demands these skills more-so than soccer, and most soccer players would fare poorly at similar skills (though remember, the top athletes elsewhere, cept maybe Cuba, dominican republic, Venezuela play soccer).

People who try to point at the diving as evidence soccer players aren't tough are really being obtuse. I assume they're joking. You think guys like A-rod, Bonds, Sosa wouldn't dive if it gave them any advantage in the game? They cheated to hit home runs, of course they'd dive if it helped them. Soccer players worldwide are tough as hell, as long as they are required to be. I do hope they start using replay to clean up the fakers and speed up the game.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #48 on: February 07, 2009, 02:05:53 pm
Football players are worse.  Bigger cheaters with no consequinces and generally bigger assholes.
and NBA players smoke the ganja and are even bigger asses than football players.

Tintin

Quote from: shagg49er;383438
I am slightly, he didn't seem like someone who would do it, but whatever.  More reasons why I don't understand how you can watch or care about baseball.  Boring, most good players cheat, and most are a-holes.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #49 on: February 07, 2009, 02:12:49 pm

Chris Weinke coundn't play baseball and won the Heisman, Josh Booty couldn't couldn't make it and still played college football, JR House left a scholarship at WVU to play QB and got 15 AB's in the majors.  Mark Farris (did you know him Metro?) couldn't make it with Piuttsburgh and ran the option at A and M.  The Pirates All Star CF Nate McLouth turned down football offers to play baseball.  I dare say a whole lot of good football players are playing pro baseball.

Tintin
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos