Author Topic: 1998 NCAA Tournament: Charlotte vs. UNC-CH  (Read 10831 times)

thelew1014

Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 02:34:02 pm
Quote from: TheNinerAlchemist;403170
The quote I just posted for you says "I agree that this should be threaded, as it was a big game." This makes the legitmacy of a thread being posted directly contingent on whether or not it was a big game, unless I'm misreading it.

No, you didn't misread, but I did miscommunicate.  I was trying to say that yes it deserved a thread, and yes it was a big game... but not one contingent of the other.

Should have been A & B and not B > A.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 02:35:49 pm

Originally Posted by NinerAdvocate  
Let's try to keep all posts in this forum informative, rather than just conversational. Thanks.

QFT!!!!

TheNinerAlchemist

• Senior
Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 02:40:59 pm
Quote from: thelew1014;403173
By the way, is there a thread for the Michigan game yet?

That game is the holy grail of Niner videos.  No one on here has it...maybe.  I am currently in the process of...well, I can say no more.  But don't expect any news on it any time soon.
I turn all things to gold.

thelew1014

Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 02:44:42 pm
Quote from: Mr. Bojangles;403177
QFT!!!!

As far as keeping this strictly informational, I couldn't disagree more.

You take a class to learn the material, not to read the textbook.  The difference between classes and just getting and reading the book is discussion.  While this forum is great and the information is very valuable, I think it loses a lot of its worth if discussing these events is discouraged.

The 49ers Insider

• Junior
Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 02:44:46 pm
Quote from: TheNinerAlchemist;403179
That game is the holy grail of Niner videos. No one on here has it...maybe. I am currently in the process of...well, I can say no more. But don't expect any news on it any time soon.

:shades:

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 02:46:07 pm
Quote from: thelew1014;403173
I find that hard to believe for some of us.  Arizona was a #1 seed that year, that's why I used them as an example.  However, it seems like a lot of us put Chapel Hill on a pedestal, even if it is out of hate.  We hate them, so for a lot of people this game is bigger than a loss.
I would also find a loss to #1/#1 #1 Arizona in OT in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to be a more historically significant game than this year's win over X.

It being against UNC only adds a little bit to it because it has allowed us to back up our claim that that's why they won't play us and not because "we are scared" or "couldn't run with them."

I don't care who it was, I think it is horribly demeaning to our program to rate a loss of any kind higher than a win.
There is no way our loss to #1/#1 #1 UNC in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tournament was less important of a game than our win over UNCG this year.

Case in point, 1977 vs. Marquette.  We lost that game... Final Four or not, it's not a bigger game historically than X.
Nope, it's much bigger because it was in the Final Four. We have a banner hanging in rafters for a game we lost and it's something our fans stand on to promote our program.

If you want to look at it in terms of what it did for program, our loss to Marquette in the Final Four and our loss to #1/#1 #1 UNC did more for our program than our win over UNCG this year.

I realize this is not a forum for debate so I apologize. Perhaps the mods could move this to a new thread in 49er Sports Forum?

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 02:52:44 pm
Quote from: thelew1014;403181
As far as keeping this strictly informational, I couldn't disagree more.

You take a class to learn the material, not to read the textbook.  The difference between classes and just getting and reading the book is discussion.  While this forum is great and the information is very valuable, I think it loses a lot of its worth if discussing these events is discouraged.
I agree. However, the point of these threads is not for debate but soley for the purpose of providing information for someone to look through. If they have to scroll through pages of us debating, it will be a lot more difficult than just seeing the information all together. These threads are supposed to be us making the textbook, since none exists.

We need a separate thread labeled "DEBATE" I suppose so that we could debate it as well. A far better solution would be for us to have the ability to tag posts that only contain debate so that someone can toggle viewing them or not viewing them. The 2nd thread idea is just a lot easier to implement.

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 02:55:44 pm
Apparently there's a Cinci fan with this game.

thelew1014

Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 02:55:45 pm
Quote from: 49or bust;403189
I agree. However, the point of these threads is not for debate but soley for the purpose of providing information for someone to look through. If they have to scroll through pages of us debating, it will be a lot more difficult than just seeing the information all together. These threads are supposed to be us making the textbook, since none exists.

We need a separate thread labeled "DEBATE" I suppose so that we could debate it as well. A far better solution would be for us to have the ability to tag posts that only contain debate so that someone can toggle viewing them or not viewing them. The 2nd thread idea is just a lot easier to implement.

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?p=403190#post403190

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 02:57:13 pm
Quote from: thelew1014;403140
I'll go ahead and say it... for those who were rolling their eyes that the win vs. Xavier got a thread... you'd better be up in arms about this one.

wrong-----this game was HUGE!!!!!

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 02:59:09 pm
Quote from: thelew1014;403159
I agree that this should be threaded, as it was a big game. My post was targeted ad those who were complaining that we were recognizing the Xavier game.

However, to say that a loss is 20 times bigger than any win is ridiculous, and pretty much admits that we're not a proud program. To qualify yourself with "Yeah, well, we went to overtime vs. a 1 seed" is pretty sad if you lost in overtime.

Oh my----no it does not at all-----do you think the Xavier "win" is bigger than the Marquette (F4) loss?

Edit: oops---I see now you do......WOW!!!!!
:ohmy:

Cha_49

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 03:02:00 pm
Quote from: thelew1014;403140
I'll go ahead and say it... for those who were rolling their eyes that the win vs. Xavier got a thread... you'd better be up in arms about this one.

This is the game in which I became a Niner fan.......so it was obviously HUGE win.  

We may not have won the game, but we damn sure won the hearts of many fans out there, including me.
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. What I can do, I ought to do, and what I ought to do, by the Grace of God, I will do."
Engraved on Ms. Bonnie Cones Memorial

Hooner49

• Senior Captain
  • #namechangenow
    • University Name Change Campaign
Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 03:03:22 pm
My dad was yelling so much at the TV that night, he actually had a heart attack the day after this game. (He's survived :smile:)
(08:50:08) The_White_Samurai: 90% of farts that come from a diet such as Hooner's result in bleeding.

(10:25:26) NLP49: Dude, you're not Hooner. Only Hooner is.
(10:25:32) NLP49: And even he doesn't rub it in our faces.

(11:59:07) Charlotte2002: hooner's honesty is admirable

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 03:18:22 pm

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 03:54:04 pm
This game & the follow-up the next fall would have been even bigger if we hadn't been robbed in regulation by the refs.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

TheNinerAlchemist

• Senior
Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 01:00:50 pm

Over40NINER

• Athletic Director
Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 11:47:14 pm
Quote from: TheNinerAlchemist;403605
Video, part 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6J007JON
Is there any reason I cannot watch this when it gets down to the final 3 minutes of the 2nd half?  That was the best part.
This post was sponsored by Over40NINER......... the NNN 2009 POY.

TheNinerAlchemist

• Senior
Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 05:53:46 pm
Sorry about the delay. I have no idea where the second part cuts off, but this covers the entire end of the game.  Let me know if there's a problem with it.  My DVD ripping software has been acting up recently.

Part 3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MX3DLNA9

Over40NINER

• Athletic Director
Reply #43 on: May 25, 2009, 10:54:41 pm
Quote from: TheNinerAlchemist;409974
Sorry about the delay. I have no idea where the second part cuts off, but this covers the entire end of the game. Let me know if there's a problem with it. My DVD ripping software has been acting up recently.

Part 3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MX3DLNA9
Thanks for doing this, but it's not working.  It won't allow you to watch the video without downloading;  but when you download, the screen is non-viewable.
This post was sponsored by Over40NINER......... the NNN 2009 POY.

TheNinerAlchemist

• Senior
Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 12:16:07 am
Quote from: Over40NINER;410007
Thanks for doing this, but it's not working. It won't allow you to watch the video without downloading; but when you download, the screen is non-viewable.

Ugh.  It looks like everything I've posted in the past few days is turning out like that.  I'll figure it out.

metro

Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 10:21:19 pm
Quote from: UNCCTF;403167
If Arizona was the top seed, and the game was in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, then yeah.
Lew- the new SCK

UNCCH had: Antwan, Haywood, Vince, Shamond Williams, Okulaja

hell the game has its own webpage:
http://www.hoops4thesoul.com/on-this-day-in-basketball-history-1975/

NinerAdvocate

Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40:22 pm
Quote from: TheNinerAlchemist;410011
Ugh.  It looks like everything I've posted in the past few days is turning out like that.  I'll figure it out.

yeah, sound works, video is scrambled.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos