Author Topic: We're baaaack!  (Read 12006 times)

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #75 on: November 05, 2009, 03:00:42 pm
An interesting question was raised about the Yankees this morning no Mike and Mike, didn\'t get to hear their answer, but I thought it\'d be interesting to ask all of you.

With all of the $$ spent this past season, would a World Series victory not be as exciting? With that payroll, they SHOULD win the World Series. In years past, according to SWOLE, they won through the farm system and developing players.

So which is more exciting? Or are they as equally awesome?

I've wondered this for years about the Yankees.  For the most part, it doesn't seem to bother their fans.  And I definitely don't blame the Yankees for taking advantage of the system the way it's currently set up.  But as an outsider, I certainly don't look at their teams as "magical" or "special" seasons.

Can you imagine an NBA team that had Kobe, Lebron and Dwight Howard?  Even worse, Magic, Bird and Jordan?  That's kind of what the Yankees have every season.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #76 on: November 05, 2009, 03:32:34 pm
Can you imagine an NBA team that had Kobe, Lebron and Dwight Howard?  Even worse, Magic, Bird and Jordan?  That's kind of what the Yankees have every season.

Yet they think THEY are the underdog and their "back's against the wall".  Poo-poo on you for bringing up their payroll, though.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

ninerball49

• Senior Captain
  • is that trips?
Reply #77 on: November 05, 2009, 04:47:49 pm
Quote from: J Felt;439040
An interesting question was raised about the Yankees this morning no Mike and Mike, didn\'t get to hear their answer, but I thought it\'d be interesting to ask all of you.

With all of the $$ spent this past season, would a World Series victory not be as exciting? With that payroll, they SHOULD win the World Series. In years past, according to SWOLE, they won through the farm system and developing players.

So which is more exciting? Or are they as equally awesome?

You can\'t buy much in sports.  A high payroll can pay to keep you in the playoff hunt, but it takes more than a high priced all star team to win when it counts.

So, IMO a high payroll can buy you a playoff spot, but it doesn\'t buy you anything come October.

tell that to the small market teams..but exactly..even if you're not literally buying championships, they're basically buying the playoff spot over all the small market teams so they don't have a chance.  it's irrelevant that the yankees have underachieved despite getting paid ridicustupid salaries for over a decade..the fact is this is the only sport where money overrules parity and in my opinion, that's what makes it unbearable to watch.  that and the fact that baseball games last for 4.5 hours and half that time you're literally watching nothing happen
we have football

clap clap clapclapclap

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos