Author Topic: Bobcats name change?  (Read 72341 times)

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 04:29:40 pm
We should be thinking of a new name for the team in New Orleans, not Charlotte.  Then we could just get the Hornets back. 
the Jazz need the new name. New Orleans Jazz, Charlotte Hornets and Utah Wife Swappers
YES!!!! PLEASE!! Why can't we do this??

The greedy NBA owners would get more merchandising money from this anyways.

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 04:31:49 pm
We should be thinking of a new name for the team in New Orleans, not Charlotte.  Then we could just get the Hornets back. 
the Jazz need the new name. New Orleans Jazz, Charlotte Hornets and Utah Wife Swappers
YES!!!! PLEASE!! Why can't we do this??

The greedy NBA owners would get more merchandising money from this anyways.

We should go to a Jazz forum and see if there is a name they'd prefer over the Jazz.  We'll give them Bobcats.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

JoeSixPack

• Assistant Coach
Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 04:32:16 pm
Bobcats is a stupid name.

Flight is also a stupid name.

Hornets name should've never left town. Shame on whoever didn't stand up and fight for it.  Cleveland kept the Browns name.  Someone should have fought for Hornets.

Kinda scared at the thought of considering a new name.  The NBA seems to have a bad recent history at creating new names/identities......Wizards? Bobcats? Thunder?  Real dumbass names with every worse color combinations.  Someone should be shot everytime the Wizards wear those copper and black unis.  They look REAL STUPID in them.  The original Bobcats unis were not much better.

At this point, with the Hornets name likely gone without a lot of wasted effort.  I'd rather go old school and name the team Carolina Cougars.  At least it would have a historic tie in to pro basketball in North Carolina. 

ETA:  Just read in shoutbox.  Charlotte Royals wouldn't totally suck.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:38:10 pm by JoeSixPack »

JoeSixPack

• Assistant Coach
Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:05 pm
New Orleans Heineken Looters!

Nicely done. That is perfect for N.O.  Love the extra one stuffed in his back pocket.  A tubfull is not enough.  Let me get ONE MORE.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:39:28 pm by JoeSixPack »

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:46 pm
Bobcats is a stupid name.

Flight is also a stupid name.

Hornets name should've never left town. Shame on whoever didn't stand up and fight for it.  Cleveland kept the Browns name.  Someone shouldn't fought for Hornets.

Kinda scared at the thought of considering a new name.  The NBA seems to have a bad recent history......Wizards? Bobcats? Thunder?  Real dumbass names with every worse color combinations.  Someone should shot everytime the Wizards wear those copper and black unis.  They look REAL STUPID in them.  The original Bobcats unis were not much better.

At this point, with the Hornets name likely gone without a lot of wasted effort.  I'd rather go old school and name the team Carolina Cougars.  At least it would have a historic tie in to pro basketball in North Carolina.

"Cougars" has a different meaning today than it did then.

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 04:38:08 pm
Aside from a nice historical reference, I totally disagree. I'm so sick of teams being called "Carolina" w/e. If it is in Charlotte, it needs to be the Charlotte w/e. I don't care about the Hurricanes in this sense because f*** Raleigh, but not here.

Charlotte Cougars could work, but u lose the alliteration.

I say we stop being pushovers and go take our name back. That includes the city's government helping.

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 04:45:01 pm
New Orleans Heineken Looters!

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeSixPack

• Assistant Coach
Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 04:48:36 pm

"Cougars" has a different meaning today than it did then.

fair point.

JoeSixPack

• Assistant Coach
Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:08 pm

I say we stop being pushovers and go take our name back. That includes the city's government helping.

agree this is the best option, but I have doubts if we have any influential people in Charlotte who would be willing to stand up and fight for "Hornets".  Would like to be proven wrong.

I would support it, but doubt my name alone would mean much.

survivor45

• Assistant Coach
Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:54 pm
We could change the name from the Bobcats to the Ackbars just to piss off Ole Miss:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/24/admiral-ackbar-ole-miss-m_n_475349.html

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 04:57:45 pm
Charlotte 23rds
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

zepandragefan

• Walk On
Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 05:00:00 pm
I'd love to have the Hornets name back. I've still got my #2 Larry Johnson teal jersey from back when I was in 7th grade. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen.

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 05:02:50 pm
We could change the name from the Bobcats to the Ackbars just to piss off Ole Miss:
[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/24/admiral-ackbar-ole-miss-m_n_475349.html]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/24/admiral-ackbar-ole-miss-m_n_475349.html[/url]

Wowwwwwwwwwwww that is so lame that Ole Miss is changing their mascot. Whatever. If they voted on it and it wasn't forced down their throats then more power to em.

Ackbar may be an acceptable replacement.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 05:11:42 pm
I like Cougars - I know the name means something different now days, but we have history with that name.  If not Cougars then I do like Owls - could be pretty kick ass.

Obviously getting Hornets back would be the best - I just don't see Shin letting that happen and he owns the name - case closed.
Mahna Mahna

Get Em Gokhan

• Walk On
  • got Gokhan?
    • Niners in the Minors
Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 05:25:06 pm
How about the Charlotte Chiggers? Would beat Richmond's Spiders by a mile.

Or...

Charlotte Jesters. No alliteration, but it would follow the lines of the Queen City.

Gökhan Şirin - F - #15/#3 Career Charlotte Stats:43GP 1GS 48/127 - 148Pts - 407Mins - 50Reb - 9Ast - 4Stl - 4Blk - 36PF

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 05:25:24 pm
Shinn was in the paper a year or 2 ago trying to make nice.  This would be a huge gesture to his native state to make us the Charlotte Hornets.

He could try to get the Jazz name back from Utah.  Or even better, the NO Mardi Gras.

You can't go with Chiggers, Got em Girkhan.  That rhymes with a derogatory name for black people that would definitely be used a lot, unfortunately.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Over49er

• Junior
Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 05:28:07 pm
I heard they're considering changing the name to the "49ers" to reflect on the gold mines up the roads, a highway that runs through the city, and the region's leading university. 

This post is brought to you by The Over40NINER....... The 2009 NNN POY

Hooner49

• Senior Captain
  • #namechangenow
    • University Name Change Campaign
Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 05:28:33 pm
Charlotte Hunters.

this.

...or Charlotte Hoons.
(08:50:08) The_White_Samurai: 90% of farts that come from a diet such as Hooner's result in bleeding.

(10:25:26) NLP49: Dude, you're not Hooner. Only Hooner is.
(10:25:32) NLP49: And even he doesn't rub it in our faces.

(11:59:07) Charlotte2002: hooner's honesty is admirable

mightymitchfan

• Junior
Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 05:35:28 pm
I heard they're considering changing the name to the "49ers" to reflect on the gold mines up the roads, a highway that runs through the city, and the region's leading university.

I heard Dubois is pushing this also.  And when we begin to get confused with the NBA team it will be the perfect time to change our name to the "Lambs" to show submissiveness to the mothership.

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 05:49:46 pm
I always liked Charlotte Royals.  I think it sounds awesome.  However, I remember the first time around when they were deciding on the name, Royals came up and apparently there are some copyright issues since the team that is now called the Sacramento Kings used to be called the Rochester/Cincinnati Royals from 1945 to 1972 and apparently they still own the rights.  There is also an MLB team with the same nickname.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #45 on: March 02, 2010, 06:22:30 pm
Owner reference- Carolina Travelers.  Owner reference with continued feline theme- Piedmont Pussies.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #46 on: March 02, 2010, 10:21:24 pm

agree this is the best option, but I have doubts if we have any influential people in Charlotte who would be willing to stand up and fight for "Hornets".  Would like to be proven wrong.

I would support it, but doubt my name alone would mean much.

Jordan should penthouses in Vegas, Charlotte, NOs and Chicago for Shinn, and call it even for the name.

truninersfan

• Sophomore
Reply #47 on: March 02, 2010, 10:35:07 pm

Ahhh nostalgia. The way things should have always been. The way things should have stayed. I still say we sue for our name back.

HORNETS OR BUST!!!

Old Navy has some vintage Charlotte Hornets Ts.

which old navy store did you see the shirts at? the only old navy i know is concord mills, university area still have one?

TheNinerAlchemist

• Senior
Reply #48 on: March 02, 2010, 11:35:43 pm
Bobcats is tolerable.  If the NBA changes the name, it will be to something worse.  Let it go.
I turn all things to gold.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #49 on: March 02, 2010, 11:52:29 pm
Bobcats is ok if not for the reference to Bob's (Johnson's) Cats.

I used to like how some cities shared a common mascot among the pro sports teams:
Dallas - Cowboys & Mavericks & Rangers (Texas)
Chicago - Cubs & Bears
Atlanta - Hawks & Falcons
Detroit - Lions & Tigers
St Louis - Cardinals & Cardinals (before moving to Phoenix)
Miami - Dolphins & Marlins (Florida)
Houston - Astros & Rockets
Pittsburgh - Pirates & Steal-ers (ok..that's a strecth)

Charlotte - Bobcats & Panthers (Carolina)

I liked it ok because it kinda worked with the Panthers.  But I understand how the reference to Bob Johnson sullies it too.

I lke the Cougars for the same reason but can see the backlash for the new age definition of the Cougar as someone pointed out earlier too though.

Any other cool cat mascot possibilities???
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos