Author Topic: Mine Shaft  (Read 12270 times)

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
on: June 14, 2010, 11:53:11 am
I've always wanted to see what the inside of the mine shaft looked like back when we played there. Do any of you guys have any pictures you could share? I can't find any anywhere.

I've heard great stories and descriptions - sounds like it was pretty awesome.

thanks
The University of Charlotte? I think so.

Representing Niner Nation on Rocky Top since 2010.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:13:47 pm
I wish they had not ripped the seats out of there.  We should hold the holiday basketball game in there since it is always so poorly attended.  I would LOVE to watch another game in there.  If I ever win the lottery - in addition to the major football donation I would make would be a gift to refit the MineShaft and hold at least one game there a year as a One Night Only affair. 
Mahna Mahna

C49er

• Senior
    • http://www.Charlotte49erFootball.com
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:15:14 pm
I wish they had not ripped the seats out of there.  We should hold the holiday basketball game in there since it is always so poorly attended.  I would LOVE to watch another game in there.  If I ever win the lottery - in addition to the major football donation I would make would be a gift to refit the MineShaft and hold at least one game there a year as a One Night Only affair.

Make sure you save up for an A/C system too.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:17:31 pm

Make sure you save up for an A/C system too.

Holiday game would be in Dec - so I think the AC can go unaddressed.
Mahna Mahna

thelew1014

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:46:57 pm
I would love a holiday game in the Mine Shaft... especially with throwback unis!

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:53:14 pm
I would love a holiday game in the Mine Shaft... especially with throwback unis!
3rd

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:01:53 pm
Thought you were talking about the Shaft down off of Old Concord rd (I think).  Famous for penny draft back in the late 80s.  Burned down around 1990.  Who remembers the Shaft?

lake49er

• Sophomore
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:09 pm
 I sure as hell do. That place was awesome. Would be great to have a place like that backing up to campus.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:53 pm
Thought you were talking about the Shaft down off of Old Concord rd (I think).  Famous for penny draft back in the late 80s.  Burned down around 1990.  Who remembers the Shaft?

Just missed it - Got on campus in 91.  I do recall seeing the burnt remains and the sign.
Mahna Mahna

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:33:57 pm

yeah I heard about that place! Isn't it the one that all of the frats and sororities would have their fundraisers at? One of those - buy a beer and xx% of the proceeds go to this charity?

UNCCTF

• Assistant Coach
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:45:28 pm
I have my dad's old yearbook from around 1974.  It has some pictures of basketball games in it; I'll see if I can't get some of those scanned in the near future.

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 12:08:53 am
I have my dad's old yearbook from around 1974.  It has some pictures of basketball games in it; I'll see if I can't get some of those scanned in the near future.

that would be awesome! We need to compile some for history's sake.

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 11:39:15 am
I sure as hell do. That place was awesome. Would be great to have a place like that backing up to campus.

I frequented that place fairly often- not sure I would use the word awesome to describe it, but I do have some fond memories (or blurs)...
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

Tenniner

• Sophomore
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 01:19:55 pm
The Mine Shaft was awesome. At one point we had a hellacious home winning streak in it.  The Shaft was ok. It was accessible alcohol. That was about it. 

Over49er

• Junior
Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 05:28:48 pm
The Mine Shaft was awesome..... The Shaft was ok. It was accessible alcohol. 

The Mine Shaft was alcohol accessible too, but you had to BYOB.   :)
This post is brought to you by The Over40NINER....... The 2009 NNN POY

Over49er

• Junior
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 05:32:53 pm
I've always wanted to see what the inside of the mine shaft looked like back when we played there. Do any of you guys have any pictures you could share? I can't find any anywhere.

It usually looked something like this:

49ers    117

Visitors  38

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 06:11:06 pm

49ers    117

Visitors  38
Classic
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

Chipper

• Junior
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 09:20:09 pm

I don't think we have a similar place now.  Even with all the new bars in the University area.  Picasso's is good for watching games but it's not really a hangout spot.

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 09:41:55 pm

I don't think we have a similar place now.  Even with all the new bars in the University area.  Picasso's is good for watching games but it's not really a hangout spot.

Saucers, Boardwalks, and wine vault tend to be the "hangout and have a beer" spots.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 09:49:33 pm
did this thread get highjacked?

the only "Mineshaft" EVER was down beyond halton in the belk gym!

and don't you forget it!!!       that's where it all started.
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Over49er

• Junior
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 10:07:56 pm

49ers    117

Visitors  38
Classic

Also............... That score was pretty realistic during Foster's reign.  Breaking 100 was pretty much standard procedure for us back then.

LakeNorman49er

• Senior
Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 06:29:39 am
did this thread get highjacked?

the only "Mineshaft" EVER was down beyond halton in the belk gym!

and don't you forget it!!!       that's where it all started.

early i like your attitude.
ninermike:  "LakeNorman49er= Get your misquote of me out of your signature line. "

persinger (when discussing tarholes):  "we will do a big pre-game story on the upcoming tarhole game"

persinger (when discussing 49ers):  "we never do pre-game articles on any game.  it is not our job to inform the public about the local teams."

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 10:41:27 am
The only Mine Shaft memory I have is from Midnight Madness in 1996.  That place was packed!!  I can only imagine how rowdy that place was for a game in it's glory days.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 10:47:40 am
The only Mine Shaft memory I have is from Midnight Madness in 1996.  That place was packed!!  I can only imagine how rowdy that place was for a game in it's glory days.

My freshman year madness was at the mineshaft with a dunk off between Henry and Jarvis.  Amazing stuff I tell you what.
Mahna Mahna

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:05 am
did anybody take a camera inside of the mineshaft? ive yet to see a photo

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos