Author Topic: Mine Shaft  (Read 12271 times)

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 11:05:28 am
I've always wanted to see what the inside of the mine shaft looked like back when we played there. Do any of you guys have any pictures you could share? I can't find any anywhere.

It usually looked something like this:

49ers    117

Visitors  38
Classic

Also............... That score was pretty realistic during Foster's reign.  Breaking 100 was pretty much standard procedure for us back then.
I think it was in the Mineshaft that they gave away a Poulan chainsaw everytime we broke 100.
#unc-CHeatingPays

N1NER

• Junior
Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 12:26:42 pm
The only Mine Shaft memory I have is from Midnight Madness in 1996.  That place was packed!!  I can only imagine how rowdy that place was for a game in it's glory days.

I was there.  That was Colson's coming out party.  Still haven't replaced that guy at PG.

N1NER

• Junior
Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 12:28:11 pm
The Mine Shaft was alcohol accessible too, but you had to BYOB.   :)

So is Halton, you just have to be careful about it.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 03:27:58 pm
Thought you were talking about the Shaft down off of Old Concord rd (I think).  Famous for penny draft back in the late 80s.  Burned down around 1990.  Who remembers the Shaft?

MeMeMe.... ;D

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 10:45:28 pm
I've actually got a VHS tape of our game in the MineShaft against East Tennessee State.  It was around 1993.  I believe the last game played there.  I'll put it on DVD eventually.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 02:09:27 am
I've actually got a VHS tape of our game in the MineShaft against East Tennessee State.  It was around 1993.  I believe the last game played there.  I'll put it on DVD soon.

? :D
The University of Charlotte? I think so.

Representing Niner Nation on Rocky Top since 2010.

Pork Chop

• Senior
Reply #31 on: June 20, 2010, 06:38:18 am
I saw College of Charleston win their very first game as a DI school in the Mine Shaft.  I also attended Jeff Mullins basketball camp in there. 
"You sir are the greatest poster ever." - NLP

"I don't know if the ban stick is big enough to take the 'Chop man down." - Niner Advocate

"Pork Chop's 'stache deserves its own thread." - Hooner49

Two Millionth Fan at a home 49er basketball game 11/24/2003

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #32 on: June 20, 2010, 03:46:33 pm
I've actually got a VHS tape of our game in the MineShaft against East Tennessee State.  It was around 1993.  I believe the last game played there.  I'll put it on DVD soon.

Haha!  I don't know how soon "soon" will be.  I've already put it off for about 10 years now.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 09:17:03 pm

Haha!  I don't know how soon "soon" will be.  I've already put it off for about 10 years now.

hah Normmm - I think its becoming well known that this thread will live or die by you... do NNN PROUD!  :p :D

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #34 on: June 20, 2010, 09:44:20 pm

hah Normmm - I think its becoming well known that this thread will live or die by you... do NNN PROUD!  :p :D

You post a lot more when quarantined in a foreign country.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

Gas49er

• Walk On
Reply #35 on: June 20, 2010, 10:12:03 pm
The Mine Shaft was great.  I graduated in 1989 and remember the ETSU game there and Jarvis breaking his wrist.  I also remember plenty of racquetball games in the basement and intramural volleyball games in the gym.  I also remember Mullins' first year and playing UNCW in there.  My final memory though is my oldest son who is now 15.  He was probably 18 months old and we were on the 4th or 5th row.  An pre-season exhibition game.  You know how squirmy that age can be if you have any children!  The team came out for warmups and they took the balls off the racks and began dribbling and shooting.  He didn't move a muscle for 15 minutes.  He was amazed and focused on all of those basketballs!  Must have been fall of 1996.  Nice Father's Day memory.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #36 on: June 20, 2010, 10:31:20 pm

If you want to stop him just start posting a bunch of anti-Chinese propaganda... they'll pick up on it.

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
Reply #37 on: June 20, 2010, 11:30:28 pm

I will not deny this.

dorm72

Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 03:42:21 pm
I recall a game in the Mine Shaft UNCC v Campbell Camels where I was sitting down kind of low on one end just a row or two up from visitor's bench.  Pete's dad was coach then (Press Maravich) and he was known for losing it.  Well he lost it that night and got run.  It was pretty hilarious seing Coach Maravich get tossed from Mine Shaft.  The bar version had a great promotion where beer actually decreased in cost as the night went on, starting at like 1/per and dropping 10 cents an hour till it was a like a a dime/per.  Easy way to get toasted that's for sure.   

LakeNorman49er

• Senior
Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 05:11:35 pm
I recall a game in the Mine Shaft UNCC v Campbell Camels where I was sitting down kind of low on one end just a row or two up from visitor's bench.  Pete's dad was coach then (Press Maravich) and he was known for losing it.  Well he lost it that night and got run.  It was pretty hilarious seing Coach Maravich get tossed from Mine Shaft.  The bar version had a great promotion where beer actually decreased in cost as the night went on, starting at like 1/per and dropping 10 cents an hour till it was a like a a dime/per.  Easy way to get toasted that's for sure.   

press maravich coached app state.  this same story has been posted before but it was about maravich being tossed while coaching app state.  maybe maravich coached at cambell too.  i don't know.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:13:18 pm by LakeNorman49er »
ninermike:  "LakeNorman49er= Get your misquote of me out of your signature line. "

persinger (when discussing tarholes):  "we will do a big pre-game story on the upcoming tarhole game"

persinger (when discussing 49ers):  "we never do pre-game articles on any game.  it is not our job to inform the public about the local teams."

49ersRock

• Walk On
Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 12:58:28 am
I was there the night Press Maravich was tossed from the game.It was actually pretty funny...Press took his jacket off and tossed it up on the rim as he exited the Mine Shaft.Appalachian State actually made a run after Press was tossed,but the Niners hung on for the victory.

I was there for a game against Oklahoma and Alvin Adams.Oklahoma was ranked 15th in the nation if my memory is correct.The Niners gave Oklahoma all they wanted,but Oklahoma held on for the win.The Niners did'nt lose another game in the Mine Shaft after that for a long time.I'm thinking the Niners won like 70 some straight at the Mine Shaft after that Oklahoma loss.Maybe someone can come up with the exact consecutive wins at the Mine Shaft during that streak during the 1970's.

niner94life

• Walk On
Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 02:42:57 pm
For a good walk down memory lane (and for a few pictures of the Mine Shaft back in the day), check out this website.  They've scanned our yearbooks along with some other schools in the state. 

http://digitalnc.org/collections/nc-yearbooks

Hate that they dropped creating yearbooks.  In the early 90's when I was in school they sold a video yearbook.  Never bought one, but Atkins Library may have saved some backup copies.

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 03:04:04 pm
For a good walk down memory lane (and for a few pictures of the Mine Shaft back in the day), check out this website.  They've scanned our yearbooks along with some other schools in the state. 

http://digitalnc.org/collections/nc-yearbooks

Hate that they dropped creating yearbooks.  In the early 90's when I was in school they sold a video yearbook.  Never bought one, but Atkins Library may have saved some backup copies.

Great find.  I scanned through the '77 yearbook.  Check out all of the beer ads.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos