Author Topic: Lebrongate continues  (Read 11024 times)

Powerbait

Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 12:43:28 pm
But I do know he is a showman, and always has been.  He makes basketball games an event, I think it's pretty awesome.  That's not to say I don't appreciate people like Durant also, but LeBron's biggest crime is having fun.
Yea. I feel this is unrelated to "Lebrongate," but I think all that kind of stuff (about being a showman)  is lame. Just get out there and do work, son. Like I've always thought the dust throwing thing is horribly lame. If you want to show how good you are or w/e, do it on the court.

Well, he certainly does that too.  He's the best basketball player of all time. 

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 12:44:57 pm
It was douchebag move. However, donating $3 million to kids charities was not. At least Lebron raped or murdered anyone here folks.  He made a career move for him. Miami > Cleveland, even when it's getting hit by a hurricane.

See, I think running up millions of dollars in gambling debts and not paying is a douchebag move.  I think raping a chick is a douchebag move.  I think LeBron is the basketball equivalent of Chad OchoCinco.  He's just out there having fun, but people wanna piss on his parade.  And, I think shitting on cleveland after the way the owner treated him, and his teammates, is totally justified.
You brought up OchoCinco after I made my post. I think OchoCinco is great lol. I guess I see Lebron's stuff as not having fun and more so about stroking his ego.

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 12:47:14 pm
The t.v. special was a dumb PR move, but fans getting all worked up because they were somehow jilted by it is equally stupid. Race is pretty clearly not the issue, rather it's fans having unfair expectations of player loyalty to their team and how they should behave when they leave. Obviously none of those fans cared when the team waived Darnell Jackson last year because he wasn't a star player, so issues of loyalty go out the window all of a sudden. The furor over it is hypocritical and blown way out of proportion (as is most of the ginned up drama in sports).

Powerbait

Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 12:47:43 pm

You brought up OchoCinco after I made my post. I think OchoCinco is great lol. I guess I see Lebron's stuff as not having fun and more so about stroking his ego.

Chad OchoCinco had his own news network.  He wore a hall of fame jacket on the sidelines.  If anything, his stuff draws a lot more attention to himself.  But, it is all in good fun, just like LeBron's stuff is.  The team he is on is almost always smiling and they do stuff together.  Their pregame stuff was golden. 

Yes, he bitched out in the playoffs last year (while still posting almost a triple double average), but he had just found out one of his boys was f***ing his mother.  And that other people on the team knew and that possibly more than one of them was doing it.  I can imagine that he was just a little pissed off. 

Powerbait

Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 12:47:59 pm
The t.v. special was a dumb PR move, but fans getting all worked up because they were somehow jilted by it is equally stupid. Race is pretty clearly not the issue, rather it's fans having unfair expectations of player loyalty to their team and how they should behave when they leave. Obviously none of those fans cared when the team waived Darnell Jackson last year because he wasn't a star player, so issues of loyalty go out the window all of a sudden. The furor over it is hypocritical and blown way out of proportion (as is most of the ginned up drama in sports).

Oh, I agree with all of that.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 12:48:57 pm

Yeah, see, I just thought it was funny.  I don't know how it was a douchebag move.  I didn't watch it.  It didn't affect me in anyway.  But I do know he is a showman, and always has been.  He makes basketball games an event, I think it's pretty awesome.  That's not to say I don't appreciate people like Durant also, but LeBron's biggest crime is having fun.

I had no problem with Lebron up to this summer.  Honestly, I don't really give a s*** now either.  I'm not losing any sleep over it.  I like to watch him play basketball but I hate the Cavs and like 99% of America, have no feelings at all about the Heat.  No one (except for pathetic Cavs fans) cares who he plays basketball for.

His entire free agency debacle turned me off mainly because it was all contrived and shoved down our throat at every turn.  I know he gave some money to charity.  I'm glad about that.  It doesnt change the fact that it was annoying and people don't like annoying. 

Lebron is caught between two identities.  He wants to be the fun loving global megastar and also the best basketball player of all time.  In his quest to get there, he ruined both identities over the course of 1 summer. 

Powerbait

Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 12:50:21 pm

Yeah, see, I just thought it was funny.  I don't know how it was a douchebag move.  I didn't watch it.  It didn't affect me in anyway.  But I do know he is a showman, and always has been.  He makes basketball games an event, I think it's pretty awesome.  That's not to say I don't appreciate people like Durant also, but LeBron's biggest crime is having fun.

I had no problem with Lebron up to this summer.  Honestly, I don't really give a s*** now either.  I'm not losing any sleep over it.  I like to watch him play basketball but I hate the Cavs and like 99% of America, have no feelings at all about the Heat.  No one (except for pathetic Cavs fans) cares who he plays basketball for.

His entire free agency debacle turned me off mainly because it was all contrived and shoved down our throat at every turn.  I know he gave some money to charity.  I'm glad about that.  It doesnt change the fact that it was annoying and people don't like annoying. 

Lebron is caught between two identities.  He wants to be the fun loving global megastar and also the best basketball player of all time.  In his quest to get there, he ruined both identities over the course of 1 summer.

Yeah, now he's Ty Cobb.  I don't have a problem with that identity either.  Although the racial aspect of both scenarios is sad.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:41 pm
It was douchebag move. However, donating $3 million to kids charities was not. At least Lebron raped or murdered anyone here folks.  He made a career move for him. Miami > Cleveland, even when it's getting hit by a hurricane.

See, I think running up millions of dollars in gambling debts and not paying is a douchebag move.  I think raping a chick is a douchebag move.  I think LeBron is the basketball equivalent of Chad OchoCinco.  He's just out there having fun, but people wanna piss on his parade.  And, I think shitting on cleveland after the way the owner treated him, and his teammates, is totally justified.

I agree with what you said about Lebron personally, I don't think he's a douchebag, but I think he has poor PR skills and is over hyped.  That in itself is annoying.  Donating $3 million to kids charities is great, and there is nothing wrong with making a good career move; but I found the hour long special more than unneccissary, the constant 24/7 talk on all shows sports related about Lebron Decision 2010 was annoying, and the fact that TNT/ESPN always promotes a Lebron Kobe final when it never happens also annoys me.  He's a great basketball player, but he's not the second coming of Jordan.  For me, he's missing that clutch abillity.  I would rather have Dwayne Wade take the final shot than Lebron.

Powerbait

Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 01:21:53 pm
LeBron James is a lot better basketball player than Wade and is better than Jordan also.  He is now playing with another superstar and has a star at C/PF. 

I think the hype around him is ridiculous, but ESPN does that.  They are awful.

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 01:25:58 pm
LeBron James is a lot better basketball player than Wade and is better than Jordan also.  He is now playing with another superstar and has a star at C/PF. 

I think the hype around him is ridiculous, but ESPN does that.  They are awful.

wow,  dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 01:29:46 pm
LeBron James is a lot better basketball player than Wade and is better than Jordan also.

He might have more talent than Jordan - I think there have been a few players we had more talent that Jordan.  I don't think he has thus far shown he has the desire and drive that Jordan did.  I don't want to open that discussion back up... but I guess I did.

As for Lebron - he has awful handlers and does not understand the power of public perception.
Mahna Mahna

Powerbait

Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 01:37:29 pm
LeBron James is a lot better basketball player than Wade and is better than Jordan also.

He might have more talent than Jordan - I think there have been a few players we had more talent that Jordan.  I don't think he has thus far shown he has the desire and drive that Jordan did.  I don't want to open that discussion back up... but I guess I did.

As for Lebron - he has awful handlers and does not understand the power of public perception.

I don't see how you can say that.  He's taken a team of role players to the top of the NBA.  The only time he had someone close to star level on his team he made an NBA final.  Jordan played with one of the greatest basketball players of all time on his roster.  If LeBron could have gotten ANYONE close to that caliber to stay in Cleveland, he'd have a few rings already.

Kobe is playing with one of the greatest frontlines in NBA history.  He gets a lot of credit, but no one has 2 players on the level of LA's frontcourt let alone 3. 

When LeBron wins 8 championships with D-Wade, people are going to talk about how he couldn't do it on his own.  It's such bullshit.  The guy lives up to the hype and he gets s*** from basketball fans because he can't win a title by himself.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 01:46:42 pm

I don't see how you can say that.  He's taken a team of role players to the top of the NBA.  The only time he had someone close to star level on his team he made an NBA final.  Jordan played with one of the greatest basketball players of all time on his roster.  If LeBron could have gotten ANYONE close to that caliber to stay in Cleveland, he'd have a few rings already.

Kobe is playing with one of the greatest frontlines in NBA history.  He gets a lot of credit, but no one has 2 players on the level of LA's frontcourt let alone 3. 

When LeBron wins 8 championships with D-Wade, people are going to talk about how he couldn't do it on his own.  It's such bullshit.  The guy lives up to the hype and he gets s*** from basketball fans because he can't win a title by himself.

I'd say the overall talent pool of the NBA is diluted in comparison to past generations due to expansion/international/etc.

Could   James be better then Jordan?  Sure.  At this moment, I don't think he   is, and a bunch of that has to do with his lack of drive (in comparison   with Jordan).  Also, they're 2 different players (position, size, skill   set).

The race card was a b**** move, plain and simple.

Powerbait

Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 01:48:39 pm
It is totally hypothetical.  Jordan is the ESPN poster child, so he is always gonna get the GOAT treatment from them. 

I just know I watched both of them in their prime and Jordan would not have dropped 60 on LeBron.  He's the best basketball player I have ever seen, hands down, bar none. 

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 01:51:23 pm
It is totally hypothetical.  Jordan is the ESPN poster child, so he is always gonna get the GOAT treatment from them. 

I just know I watched both of them in their prime and Jordan would not have dropped 60 on LeBron.  He's the best basketball player I have ever seen, hands down, bar none.

???

Lebron is an average defender at best... don't let those run down from behind blocks fool you.

Powerbait

Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 01:53:24 pm

???

Lebron is an average defender at best... don't let those run down from behind blocks fool you.

They don't. 

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 02:18:41 pm
What it comes down to is why was the question even asked in the first place?  To start controversy of course, the only thing the media is good at nowadays.

Race plays more of a factor to a minority than a non-minority.  Many of us don't realize it, because we are white males.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 02:36:14 pm
Wow, what has Powerbait been smoking?

I can't wait to see Lebron at 32 like Kobe. His athleticism will have diminished and he'll be nothing.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

gangreen95

• Walk On
Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 02:38:34 pm

thanks Jerry West

sometimes I am not sure why....BUT I love my alma mater despite itself

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 02:41:06 pm
While LeBron did donate money to charity, its completely transparent that he did it to feel less guilty for shaming an entire state on national television, not out of the kindness of his heart.  If he wasn't a complete doucher, he would have donated money to charity regardless and issued a press release.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:46 pm
It's not like the 60-minute special that ran 74 minutes had a surprise ending, "Hey Cleveland, I'm ditching you for Miami."  It was reported the day BEFORE where he was going, so if you don't like it, don't watch. 
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 04:14:41 pm
Durant nailed it. Sign your deal, send a Tweet. Move on

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 04:15:59 pm
It's not like the 60-minute special that ran 74 minutes had a surprise ending, "Hey Cleveland, I'm ditching you for Miami."  It was reported the day BEFORE where he was going, so if you don't like it, don't watch.

For someone constantly making threads about things he could ignore, your post here is funny.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 04:43:49 pm
I did hear Micheal Wilbon say that there is a general split among races about how it was perceived.  Similar to the OJ Simpson verdict.  The black community, in general, had less of a problem with how it was handled.  I do find that interesting.  He explained that they saw it more as the player controlling his destiny (sticking it to the man), rather than an owner randomly moving a player around as he pleases.

That's how I saw it.  Hell, he's cemented himself as my favorite NBA player of all time.

I can see that logic by the community.  But isn't that just as racist?

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 04:53:40 pm

I'd say the overall talent pool of the NBA is diluted in comparison to past generations due to expansion/international/etc.

Could   James be better then Jordan?  Sure.  At this moment, I don't think he   is, and a bunch of that has to do with his lack of drive (in comparison   with Jordan).  Also, they're 2 different players (position, size, skill   set).

The race card was a b**** move, plain and simple.

This.  Lebron is still a work in progress.  Karl Malone made the NBA finals on a mediocre team.  Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Reggie Miller, Jason Kidd, Allen Iverson. 

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos