Author Topic: Conference Realignment  (Read 293556 times)

chidave

• Junior
Reply #1875 on: October 31, 2017, 08:14:12 am
http://www.clintonchronicle.com/sports/petition-delay-action-pc-football

Presbyterian BoT is holding a vote to decide whether to drop to the Pioneer League.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #1876 on: October 31, 2017, 08:42:52 am
If you're not one of the big boys, it's getting hard to justify football. 

Sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off in FCS.  I know that makes some of you nauseous, but part of me would rather be JMU than Troy. 
#bus1

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #1877 on: October 31, 2017, 09:06:32 am

Sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off in FCS.  I know that makes some of you nauseous, but part of me would rather be JMU than Troy.

Hey, I wish we'd never trailed at LSU in route to an easy victory this year.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

charlottewkndbuzz

• Walk On
Reply #1878 on: October 31, 2017, 09:07:54 am

I think we would have been stuck with a 15k stadium for even longer, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:52:54 am by charlottewkndbuzz »

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #1879 on: October 31, 2017, 12:14:10 pm
One day the Big 12 will implode - it's impossible for anyone to be in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma and thrive much

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #1880 on: November 16, 2017, 06:42:43 pm
Big South expanding to 12 members in 2018 with the additions of Hampton (MEAC) and USC Upstate (ASUN). In addition, current member Campbell will become a full member in 2018 when its football program (Pioneer) joins the BSC in that sport as well.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #1881 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:22 am
Big South expanding to 12 members in 2018 with the additions of Hampton (MEAC) and USC Upstate (ASUN). In addition, current member Campbell will become a full member in 2018 when its football program (Pioneer) joins the BSC in that sport as well.

That's a pretty strong overall move for BSC.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

Niner17

• Walk On
Reply #1882 on: November 17, 2017, 09:26:03 am

That's a pretty strong overall move for BSC.

I hope Judy has the vision to get us a spot in the Big South soon before they blow up and become a Power Conference

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #1883 on: November 17, 2017, 10:39:25 am
Why do all sports have to be in the same conference? Why can’t your football and basketball be in one conference and your golf team be in a local conference. I assuming it is just tradition and “fairness”. From a cost standpoint it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #1884 on: November 17, 2017, 11:49:33 am

One thing I learned from our History program (big shouts to classmate JFicket) is that you can't judge a past decision from additional information that you know now. I still think that with the information we knew at the time regarding conference realignment, etc. the decision to go for CUSA was the right decision.

That being said, with the additional information we have available to us now I'm beginning to feel that you may be right.

I went to Mississippi State for gradschool. Charlotte will always be #1 in my heart, but even at MS State, with Dak Preskot, and then again this year, I just knew we weren't going to beat Alabama. There is still hierarchy even at the highest level. What level of achievement you expect, or what level of failure you are willing to accept is a personal decision. I am happy with Mississippi State being #15 in the country.

I am still not sure what level Charlotte would have to reach for me to be happy with our program. The first 2, maybe 3 years were cool simply because they were new. To be honest with you, I'm still not sure I would really be that enthusiastic if we were annually having .500 seasons in CUSA and making the lowest level of bowls ever 2 or 3 years. I think there are way too many bowls to be honest. I was hoping that we could attain some level of FBS success along the lines of App State or GA Southern. Perhaps this is unreasonable. They have tradition that we lack, but there are many things we have going for us that they lack.

If we ever end up like Temple (prior to the past few years) where we are just hemorrhaging money and consistently ranking in the bottom 100 teams I want us to drop back to FCS. I don't say that as a knee jerk reaction as to what's going on right now. I mean, if after 15-20 years we just cannot get out of the cellar we may need to reevaluate.

*edit*

I LOVE football, but the idea that it pays for everything else is nonsense outside of about 35 schools. In Temple's situation they actually cut other scholarship sports along with increasing student fees, etc. I know many on this board would not care if we sacrificed other programs so that we could keep paying for football, but for me if we are ever in that situation I would not be ok with it (unless those programs equally sucked for the same massive amount of time, then I'd be ok with it).

At this point, it looks like the power conferences are squeezing everyone out. The pressure is for a greater number of conference games in both basketball and football, as well as a higher number of games between power conferences and less against the rest. This isn't 2009 (Boise State/TCU), everything is going the opposite way now.

If things keep going the way that they are I would much rather see much more regionally aligned conferences.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:01:09 pm by Ben H »

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #1885 on: November 17, 2017, 01:30:14 pm

One thing I learned from our History program (big shouts to classmate JFicket) is that you can't judge a past decision from additional information that you know now. I still think that with the information we knew at the time regarding conference realignment, etc. the decision to go for CUSA was the right decision.

I am still not sure what level Charlotte would have to reach for me to be happy with our program.

If things keep going the way that they are I would much rather see much more regionally aligned conferences.

Ben, excellent post and I agree especially with those three points.  When we were supposed to be in a league with ECU I was pretty jacked.  Now we are stuck in a league with UTEP and our closest rival is ODU. 

That second point is the best question posed on this site in a while, and I don't know the answer. 

I think the only way this junk is sustainable is regionally aligning.  Us playing teams in west texas for a conference game is plain idiocy. 
#bus1

FridayNiner

• Walk On
Reply #1886 on: November 17, 2017, 01:52:18 pm
Let's go regional!!!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #1887 on: November 17, 2017, 03:03:37 pm
Why do all sports have to be in the same conference? Why can’t your football and basketball be in one conference and your golf team be in a local conference. I assuming it is just tradition and “fairness”. From a cost standpoint it doesn’t make a lot of sense.
I've wondered this for years. Even your p5 schools with hoardes of cash would probably be on board of possible so they could funnel more money to revenue sports by cutting costs on non-revenue sports. Makes 0 sense to fly some of our sports across the country to compete when they generate virtually no revenue.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #1888 on: November 17, 2017, 04:07:49 pm
clt ate a burrito for lunch.

Also, the regional model is the only thing that makes sense for college sports to survive.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #1889 on: November 17, 2017, 05:01:43 pm

Also, the regional model is the only thing that makes sense for college sports to survive.

Agreed.

I've felt this way ever since the last crazy round of realignment spread the conferences out all over the place.

We need to embrace a regional conference set up of non P5 teams in the area. 
App St, ECU, Davidson, College of Charleston, UNCW, UNC Asheville....et al.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #1890 on: November 17, 2017, 05:59:08 pm
These large conferences aren't going to survive now that the TV money is drying up and their audience is going to start shrinking.  Regional conferences is where everything is going to go except for maybe a handful of large school and even they I think will end up back there.  Not sure how long it will take but we will either end up with large regional leagues or smaller regional leagues. 
Mahna Mahna

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #1891 on: November 17, 2017, 07:11:09 pm
This isn't really a conference, but I thought it would be cool if every state had their own Tourney.  Say in April after NCAA's are over.  I think NC has 18 D1 B-Ball schools.  So that is 2 play in games, & then a 1st Rd of 8 games, Quarterfinals of 4 games, Semis is 2 games, & then the Final.

Maybe non revenue sports (anything other than FB or Men's B-Ball) should go to regional conferences.  Why would State or Clemson want to pay to send athletes to Miami or Boston in a non money making sport?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:15:07 pm by stonecoldken »
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

punchdrunk

• Walk On
Reply #1892 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:03 pm

yes and no.  Let me politely explain the no part.  In the early 2000s, many schools knew football was the future tide.  We didn't.  The good CUSA schools conspired to leave the schools like UNCC that looked at football as the devil and left to reform the Big East.  I will never forget, a golf outing at Rocky River and Mike Hummer sitting in my cart, Judy grabs a bull horn to thank everyone stupid enough for coming.  Her lecture was how all those Big East football schools were basically nuts and the basketball only A10 was the future.  From that day, we haven't accomplished jack.  Today Memphis, UL, Cincy, Hou, USF have all been ranked top 20 in CFB, hell top 5.  ADs now require some business savvy and see a trend.  Then again, we are talking about a person who made a youtube video last year upset Twitter tagged her at a soccer game, claiming its nobodys business where SHE IS....

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos