Author Topic: Soccer/Futbol (Football) thread  (Read 89551 times)

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #50 on: August 03, 2013, 03:00:52 pm
I find it shocking and disheartening that The RailHawks are getting no mention in this expansion talk. They have already expanded their stadium to 10K draw great crowds and great regional attendance as well. They are also in a soccer mad tei city area that would support MLS like no other. With only 1 other major league team in the area (hockey) MLS would dominate there. MLS would have a team in the heart of the 8th most populous state in the nation.

Putting a team in Miami is ridiculous. They have already had a chance and failed. Miami is a HORRIBLE town for supporting their teams.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #51 on: August 03, 2013, 03:02:19 pm
The RailHawks also provide gainful employment for ex Niner Floyd Franks. That makes them even cooler.  :D

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #52 on: August 03, 2013, 05:27:33 pm
I saw Raleigh mentioned before in an article.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #53 on: August 03, 2013, 05:31:27 pm
I think they'll add the two teams in florida, and add two teams in the midwest.  MLS understands something that C-USA tried to do, giving teams a rival.  I think North Carolina will get a team when Atlanta gets a team, and it won't be this round of expansion. 
#bus1

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #54 on: August 03, 2013, 08:51:17 pm
Hopefully we get the sometimes rumored MLS.2 and some promotion regulation. No way that doesn't include the RailHawks. But I bet we are a decade away from that at least.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 01:10:35 pm
World Cup groups are set.

What do you guys think about the USMNT's chance to get out of its group?

Germany
Ghana
Portugal
US

The first game against Ghana is basically a must-win.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

UC Niner

Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 01:18:54 pm

Germany
Ghana
Portugal
US

We won't beat Germany, but we need to keep it close and not let their strikers demolish our back line (so hope Germany takes it easy on us) for possible tiebreaker scenarios (mainly goal differential).  I think the U.S. can get out of this group.  The U.S. is a better team than Ghana, and really Portugal for that matter.  Portugal has Ronaldo, who is arguably the best player in the world right now (with Messi injured).  We'll see though.  I definitely think it's possible for the U.S. to advnace.   

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #57 on: December 06, 2013, 01:31:10 pm
Oh great, Ghana again. 

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #58 on: December 06, 2013, 01:31:43 pm

Germany
Ghana
Portugal
US

A bad group to get, but not insurmountable. The order of games helps (Ghana-Portugal-Germany), as long as the US can win the first game. Will have to get a point against Portugal or Germany's subs (hopefully, if Germany takes care of business).

The worst group was definitely Group B, so it could be worse. If the US was in Australia's spot, I'd say we have basically no chance.

Brazil, Argentina, and Columbia got about as good a draw as you could expect. Could write some really good conspiracy theories with this, considering these are the three highest population centers in proximity to the games. Two of the three weakest seeds (Switzerland and to a lesser extend Belgium) got good draws too, which could blunt criticism of them being seeded if they make the next round.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #59 on: December 06, 2013, 02:05:20 pm
Germany?  Portugal?  & Ghana beat us last time?  We're screwed.  When is 2018?
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:04 pm
Ony one match in Manaus.  I don't think any team wants to play in the Amazon. 

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #61 on: December 06, 2013, 02:58:38 pm
After thinking about it for a while, its a manageable draw. 

Ghana is a must win.  Draw Portugal. Pray that Germany beats the piss out of both Ghana and the fighting Ronaldos.  Then we play bunker ball to a draw in the 3rd match. 

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #62 on: December 06, 2013, 04:14:26 pm
Of course the other conspiracy theory is France:   http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/world-cup-potgate-scandal-sees-france-earn-easy-205635811.html
 And naturally, after changing the rules in a way that could benefit France, they end up in probably the easiest group. Very fishy.

I can't believe the rest of the confederations approved this, but maybe they thought there'd be a good chance their teams would end up in the easier group. My suspicion is that there was quid-pro-quo of some kind involved, possibly involving swiss bank accounts given that's the way that FIFA seems to have handled other decisions.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #63 on: December 06, 2013, 04:46:22 pm
With a field like this, there won't be any "USMNT failed to live up to expectations" talk. However, I think it's reasonable to think that we should get out of this group in 2nd place. Portugal are typical underperformers and I don't see how we couldn't beat them.

England's probably got a tougher draw than us now that I've had time to reflect on it.

Fire Scotty!!!

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #64 on: December 06, 2013, 09:42:30 pm
Germany?  Portugal?  & Ghana beat us last time?  We're screwed.  When is 2018?

... four and a half years from now.
DUCK FAVIDSON

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 03:57:50 pm
Julian Green officially declares his intentions to play for the US instead of Germany. Will probably make his debut for the USMNT against Mexico next week.

Think he'll make the official World Cup roster?

Nice to see players of this caliber starting to choose the US. http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2014/03/140326-MNT-Roster.aspx

Fire Scotty!!!

49erFan1

• Senior
Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 04:27:57 pm
Julian Green officially declares his intentions to play for the US instead of Germany. Will probably make his debut for the USMNT against Mexico next week.

Think he'll make the official World Cup roster?

Nice to see players of this caliber starting to choose the US. http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2014/03/140326-MNT-Roster.aspx

More good news Gedion Zelalem declined to accept an invite to play with the German National Team in an upcoming match.   He's a player who once he is a citizen (currently a resident of the US) would be eligible for the USMNT.  He's an Arsenal youth player and an impressive one at that.  He's compared frequently with Cesc Fabregas.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #67 on: March 27, 2014, 08:02:20 am
Has everyone picked an MLS squad yet?

I've officially hopped on the Toronto FC bandwagon. Bradley and Defoe have them off to a 2-0 start, and are looking like a contender so far.

Fire Scotty!!!

49erAlumnus

• Senior
Reply #68 on: March 27, 2014, 09:58:05 am
Celtic wrapped up their 3rd straight Scottish Premiership title last night. That will keep them in the CL qualifiers.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #69 on: March 27, 2014, 10:32:19 am
Has everyone picked an MLS squad yet?

I've officially hopped on the Toronto FC bandwagon. Bradley and Defoe have them off to a 2-0 start, and are looking like a contender so far.

I pull for DC United largely because they're local

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #70 on: April 14, 2014, 04:08:38 pm
MLS team in Atlanta?!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20140414/mls-atlanta-expansion-arthur-blank-don-garber.ap/

Will play in the new stadium as well. Unless you're filling it like Seattle does, a football stadium makes a bad place to house an MLS team, IMO.

Fire Scotty!!!

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #71 on: April 14, 2014, 05:55:24 pm
MLS team in Atlanta?!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20140414/mls-atlanta-expansion-arthur-blank-don-garber.ap/

Will play in the new stadium as well. Unless you're filling it like Seattle does, a football stadium makes a bad place to house an MLS team, IMO.

I feel like MLS is screwing up a bit on their recent expansions. Orlando yes, because they had a great organic thing going with Orlando City FC, but NYCFC, Miami and especially Atlanta seems like a stretch. Seems like they are just going for big money owners rather than building on top of previous soccer cultures like Portland and Seattle.

I just don't understand why Raleigh isn't getting any love from MLS. Look at what they have built with the Railhawks. Imagine what they could do in MLS.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #72 on: April 14, 2014, 08:13:54 pm
MLS team in Atlanta?!

I feel like MLS is screwing up a bit on their recent expansions. Orlando yes, because they had a great organic thing going with Orlando City FC, but NYCFC, Miami and especially Atlanta seems like a stretch. Seems like they are just going for big money owners rather than building on top of previous soccer cultures like Portland and Seattle.

I just don't understand why Raleigh isn't getting any love from MLS. Look at what they have built with the Railhawks. Imagine what they could do in MLS.
As much as I'd prefer a team be in Charlotte, Raleigh is more likely to support it. I just don't see Miami working, nor Atlanta.

Fire Scotty!!!

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #73 on: April 14, 2014, 11:56:11 pm
MLS team in Atlanta?!

As much as I'd prefer a team be in Charlotte, Raleigh is more likely to support it. I just don't see Miami working, nor Atlanta.

I'm hoping the acquisition of the eagles USL pro franchise by the hounds comes to fruition and they play their games at memorial stadium. I will be there.

jfickett

Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 09:00:20 am

Here in Jacksonville, the Armada FC is starting to create some decent buzz.  Jax is actually a very soccer-friendly city; we had one of the highest turnouts ever for a USMNT friendly against Scotland in Everbank Field just a couple years back.  The NASL expansion is trying to capitalize on that by bringing a new team here.  Dario Sala, former FC Dallas GK, has been brought on as the GM.  Local entrepreneur has put up a lot of capital to get it started and seems very dedicated.  For the time being, they will play at UNF's Hodges Stadium, but if interest warrants, they are looking at building a dedicated facility downtown near the already-existing sports complex.

http://www.armadafc.com/

Love the logo/branding.  Hopefully they can get some decent talent for the NASL level and win some games!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos