Author Topic: Bobcats (Hornets) Upcoming Draft  (Read 8997 times)

Basden05

• Junior
on: May 21, 2013, 11:11:13 pm
While it might seem like the Hornets were the big losers of the draft, I don't think that it the case at all. This is a super weak draft and as it turns out, we will probably end up getting the player we want in Ben McLemore anyway.

The Cavs are most likely going to select Noel with the first pick, but apparently, they are also in love with Otto Porter as their future small forward. The Magic need a point gaurd and it just seems like Trey Burke is a good fit with them. Washington is also in need of a small forward and it would seem ideal that they would select Porter if he doesn't go first overall, which is pretty unlikely.

That leaves us picking at four and one would have to think there is no way we pass up on McLemore who is the best overall prospect according to sum. I really like the idea of drafting Anthony Bennett though. Could be a Larry Johnson 2.0 and how fiting that we are changing our name to the Hornets!!
2009 NNNIT Champion

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:17:13 pm
I agree.  Blessing in disguise.  I don't want to touch Noel with a 10 ft pole and I don't think we would have passed him up if we had the 1. 

I really like Bennett

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:22:22 pm
If Mclemore is gone I bet they take Alex Len. Just a gut call.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:24:27 pm
I like Trey Burke, and yes, I am one of the black helicopter folks who firmly believe the draft is fixed.

Betcha a bunch that the bugs get the #1 next year and pick Wiggins. They will get it if they do whatever the league office wanted them to do.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:14:21 am
Orlando, like the Hornets, need everything.  But I'd be surprised if McLemore goes past them.  Nelson ave 15 ppg and 7 apg.  There center Vucevic ave 13 ppg and 11 rpg and PF Harris ave 17 ppg and 9 rpg..  I don't think they're interested in Burke or Noel. 

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Basden05

• Junior
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:16 am
Orlando, like the Hornets, need everything.  But I'd be surprised if McLemore goes past them.  Nelson ave 15 ppg and 7 apg.  There center Vucevic ave 13 ppg and 11 rpg and PF Harris ave 17 ppg and 9 rpg..  I don't think they're interested in Burke or Noel.

Yes and no. The Magic are pretty set at Center and Small Forward in Vucevic and Harris. While Nelson is still putting up ok numbers, it has been reported multiple times that they want to draft a point guard. Having said that, Burke could be a reach with the second pick and they could indeed turn to McLemore and just draft a point guard in next year's loaded draft.

I would be happy with either McLemore or Bennett
2009 NNNIT Champion

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:45 am
and yes, I am one of the black helicopter folks who firmly believe the draft is fixed.

Oh no, et tu brute?

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 08:54:35 am
We need scoring in the post, go with Alex Len. Put up 23 and grabbed 12 against Noel.

Chisox17

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://www.ninerreport.com
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 09:04:23 am
There is no way Mclemore falls to #4.  I'd love it if he did, but I don't see that happening.

Anyone but Oladipo.  He is awkward, fouls too much, can't pass or shoot at an NBA level, and is turnover prone.

Other than Oladipo, I'd be happy with any of the top 7 or 8 players.
2010 NNN POSTER OF THE YEAR

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:04 am
In 9 years (or is it 10? I lost count), the Bobcats have NEVER "beaten" the lottery odds, as in, they have never landed above the spot they were supposed to get or better.

Just ridiculous bad luck.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:42:35 am
Trade the pick and try to pick up two late first rounders.  Draft has some depth, but no sure thing.  Wait till next year and pray for this Wiggins kid to play out like everyone keeps saying he will (not convinced).

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 10:52:12 am
Trying to trade down could be a good idea, but it is unlikely since it is such a weak draft at the top.  I do think some middle to late first rounders are good rotation guys for playoff teams.  As a Nets fan I would love for them to land Tim Hardaway Jr. at 22.

Although you never know if a team falls in love with a player and is desperate to trade up, I just don't see it in this year's draft.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 11:35:09 am
Trade the pick and try to pick up two late first rounders.  Draft has some depth, but no sure thing.  Wait till next year and pray for this Wiggins kid to play out like everyone keeps saying he will (not convinced).

That's what I'm thinking. I think Plumlee and Steven Adams could both help them.  But you don't take those guys at 4. I think s9er is right, and it will be Len.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 11:38:54 am
 :blank:
There is no way Mclemore falls to #4.  I'd love it if he did, but I don't see that happening.

Anyone but Oladipo.  He is awkward, fouls too much, can't pass or shoot at an NBA level, and is turnover prone.

Other than Oladipo, I'd be happy with any of the top 7 or 8 players.

He's currently definitely not a better shooter than Henderson. Not sure he's a better body/athlete either.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:58 am
Trying to trade down could be a good idea, but it is unlikely since it is such a weak draft at the top.  I do think some middle to late first rounders are good rotation guys for playoff teams.  As a Nets fan I would love for them to land Tim Hardaway Jr. at 22.

Although you never know if a team falls in love with a player and is desperate to trade up, I just don't see it in this year's draft.

True, but it's worth a shot.  Hell, even if they switch back with somebody for a later first round and 2 second rounds might be better.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 11:43:11 am
In 9 years (or is it 10? I lost count), the Bobcats have NEVER "beaten" the lottery odds, as in, they have never landed above the spot they were supposed to get or better.

At this point, their OKC plan of blowing up and rebuilding in the draft has to be viewed as a fail. They missed on Davis and looks like they'll miss on McLemore too.

Powerbait

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:58 am
The lottery is awful.  They need to get rid of it. 

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 11:58:38 am

At this point, their OKC plan of blowing up and rebuilding in the draft has to be viewed as a fail. They missed on Davis and looks like they'll miss on McLemore too.

I don't think McLemore is a franchise changing player.  Next year is the year to have the #1 pick, if Wiggins lives up to the hype.  For all you conspiracy theorists I predict the Raptors get the #1 pick.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:09 pm
still SMH that they owe a #1 for Tyrus Thomas

Powerbait

Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:39 pm
The Bobcats weren't going to win a title with their roster before they blew it up anyway.  Drafting guys like Biyombo isn't going to help them win a title either. 

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 12:04:14 pm

I don't think McLemore is a franchise changing player.  Next year is the year to have the #1 pick, if Wiggins lives up to the hype.  For all you conspiracy theorists I predict the Raptors get the #1 pick.

Perhaps not. Just saying he seems like a safer pick to build around than Oladipo.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 12:12:23 pm
The bigger question is what they do with the current roster.. Gerald Henderson had a nice year, but I would let him walk rather than over pay him even slightly, he has about a 5 mill qualifying offer, he'll get more but I wouldn't pay him . I'd amnesty Thomas and get him outta here. Mullens isn't worth his 5 mill QA ..
The only FA I'd like to see them retain is McRoberts for crying out loud. 

Powerbait

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 12:14:01 pm
Yeah, the roster is awful.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 12:26:09 pm
Yeah, the roster is awful.

Really is amazing that with all of those lottery picks the team has such a dogpoop roster.. very little value here.
Bizmack is terrible and further cements me feeling that the only ferners' drafted in the 1st should be done so by the Spurs or Mavs in the late 20's.. MGK has promise but isn't close.. Kemba I like.. The rest really is a collective of crap.

Powerbait

Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 12:32:08 pm
I like Henderson, Kemba and MKG. Ben Gordon is a sniper too.  They have a collection of backups in the front court and a worn out Haywood. 

So, a decent backcourt set up with potential for growth.  Tons of cap space next year though, so they should be able to pick up someone decent.  You hope.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos