Author Topic: Al Jefferson to the Bobcats  (Read 36528 times)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:00 am
I like the signing personally and dont really understand why people are upset about it.

You get good big man to address your most pressing needs at a price that is in the ballpark for a guy of his talent.  His signing isnt going to place you out of the lottery, and we still have 2 additional potential lottery picks as well.

Doing nothing in the hopes of getting Wiggins is stupid.  Especially considering the amount of teams that will be attempting to do the same thing this season.  Its a proactive move by the bobcats and i like it.
I don't mind the signing, just think JJ Hickson could have been a better bargain, 3 years $15 million instead of 3 years, $41 million.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 10:21:20 am
I like the signing personally and dont really understand why people are upset about it.

You get good big man to address your most pressing needs at a price that is in the ballpark for a guy of his talent.  His signing isnt going to place you out of the lottery, and we still have 2 additional potential lottery picks as well.

Doing nothing in the hopes of getting Wiggins is stupid.  Especially considering the amount of teams that will be attempting to do the same thing this season.  Its a proactive move by the bobcats and i like it.
I don't mind the signing, just think JJ Hickson could have been a better bargain, 3 years $15 million instead of 3 years, $41 million.

I like Hickson as a energy guy off the bench, he's  an NBA journeyman and will be coming off the bench in Denver.  He's not your long term solution to the center position, which is what we are looking for. 

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 10:45:56 am

I like Hickson as a energy guy off the bench, he's  an NBA journeyman and will be coming off the bench in Denver.  He's not your long term solution to the center position, which is what we are looking for.
Hickson is 4 years young (24), has plenty of time to improve. Jefferson was signed to a 3 year deal and can opt out after 2, so he isn't a long term solution for anything either.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #53 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:16 am
I don't hate it for 3 reasons..
#1- only a 3 year deal
#2- MJ spent some $
#3- Jefferson is supposedly a great teammate- should halp Bizzzzzmack

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:29 am

That assumes Hickson would want to come here though.  At 3 years and $15 mill, there's no reason they couldn't get both guys.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 11:43:52 am

That assumes Hickson would want to come here though.  At 3 years and $15 mill, there's no reason they couldn't get both guys.
Hickson signed with Denver.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 11:45:12 am

Agreed. Aside from Okafor, the Bobnets have had zero "luck" in the draft.  But even then, that was also the Dwight Howard draft, it could be argued that "luck" was not on the Bobnets side.

A side note: that was also Jefferson's draft.  He went 15th.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 11:47:08 am

Hickson signed with Denver.

Right.  I meant at that price, assuming the Bobnets were interested and Hickson was interested, they could have afforded to sign both guys.

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 06:59:56 pm
Jefferson will put up the best offensive numbers of any center this upcoming season and the Whorecats will battle for a playoff spot.  The team desperately needs to have some on court success and with teams like Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Milwaukee going backwards, its an opportunity for Charlotte to get a 6 through 8 seed.  Couple seasons of playoff appearances will go a long way.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #59 on: July 08, 2013, 07:34:54 pm
an opportunity for Charlotte to get a 6 through 8 seed.  Couple seasons of playoff appearances will go a long way.

They had that and blew it up.  I thought the entire idea behind dumping Wallace and Jackson and such was barely making the playoffs and losing in the first round every year wasn't good enough. 

Mahna Mahna

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #60 on: July 08, 2013, 08:35:44 pm
an opportunity for Charlotte to get a 6 through 8 seed.  Couple seasons of playoff appearances will go a long way.

They had that and blew it up.  I thought the entire idea behind dumping Wallace and Jackson and such was barely making the playoffs and losing in the first round every year wasn't good enough.

That team backed into the playoffs and wasn't very talented.  This current set up is much younger and has a legitimate dominant post player.  Larry Brown worked magic with that 8 seed team, it was not a sustainable playoff team, because Brown wasn't stable.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #61 on: July 08, 2013, 09:45:35 pm

I was not a fan of them getting rid of Wallace and not trying harder to retain Chandler.  But having said that, I think the difference of the 6-8 seed scenario is that was considered the best the 2010 team could be.  While this team might be considered on the up swing.

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #62 on: July 08, 2013, 10:39:08 pm

I was not a fan of them getting rid of Wallace and not trying harder to retain Chandler.  But having said that, I think the difference of the 6-8 seed scenario is that was considered the best the 2010 team could be.  While this team might be considered on the up swing.

The best the Hornets/Bobcats can hope for is to become a Pacers type team, hopeing for the 1 pick in the right year is a lot of luck... hasn't worked so far.

NWA you have great points about the way the NBA is set up right now, I just would rather have a good team and hope they get great than have a horrible team and hope they luck into a franchise player.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #63 on: July 08, 2013, 11:15:48 pm

The best the Hornets/Bobcats can hope for is to become a Pacers type team, hopeing for the 1 pick in the right year is a lot of luck... hasn't worked so far.

NWA you have great points about the way the NBA is set up right now, I just would rather have a good team and hope they get great than have a horrible team and hope they luck into a franchise player.

Yeah normally I wouldn't be upset with just getting better.  What pisses me off is that the entire plan was to follow the OKC model.  That means getting lucky in the draft.  Roll the dice one more year and then change course if need be.  I don't understand changing course when the best draft in years is in front of them. 
Mahna Mahna

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #64 on: July 09, 2013, 07:51:55 am

Yeah normally I wouldn't be upset with just getting better.  What pisses me off is that the entire plan was to follow the OKC model.  That means getting lucky in the draft.  Roll the dice one more year and then change course if need be.  I don't understand changing course when the best draft in years is in front of them.

True, maybe the front office got sick of hopeing for luck the last two years, the Bobcats were in a good position to get the number 1 pick the last two  year and have nothing to show of it but two ok players... they probably realized the path of the Durant model takes a lot of luck and we do'nt seem to have that on our side.
NWA - 5/8/13

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #65 on: July 09, 2013, 08:42:41 am
The biggest thing and major difference between the NFL and NBA is that if you suck asshole in the NFL you get the first pick.  The lottery in the NBA doesn't guarantee that.  Some would say that is beneficial while others would disagree.  Depends on your viewpoint.

To be honest, I think the issue isn't solely with the NBA, eventhough I think it's more prevalent in the NBA, but many owners just want a profit.  If their team is 32-50 but they have a profit, why should they spend more money to upkeep the product if they're already reaping benefits?

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #66 on: July 09, 2013, 10:12:40 am
True, maybe the front office got sick of hopeing for luck the last two years, the Bobcats were in a good position to get the number 1 pick the last two  year and have nothing to show of it but two ok players... they probably realized the path of the Durant model takes a lot of luck and we do'nt seem to have that on our side.

This is a fair idea, but the person that banked on the failed strategy of sucking to get better draft picks should be fired then. That level of failure needs repercussions.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #67 on: July 09, 2013, 10:55:04 am

This is a fair idea, but the person that banked on the failed strategy of sucking to get better draft picks should be fired then. That level of failure needs repercussions.

I'm not going to act like I know the hisory of who's running the shots for the Horcats so was Cho around when they got rid of Wallace/Jackson and blew it up?  Didn't they fire people left and right the last few years, you can't really fire the owner...
NWA - 5/8/13

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #68 on: July 09, 2013, 11:01:40 am

Signing Jefferson does not make the Bobcats a playoff team.  They are still going to be in the lottery, and depending on how other teams do, they are going to have the potential of getting 2 more lottery picks as well.

Look, at some point they were gonna need to start signing guys.  They need immediate help in the post.  They could have waited to attempt to sign a guy next year, but I'm not crazy about the potential big men free agents next year (Gortat, Bosh). 

They used their amnesty on Thomas, so the money is close enough to a wash for me.  I just dont see what the big deal is.

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #69 on: July 09, 2013, 11:11:04 am

Signing Jefferson does not make the Bobcats a playoff team.  They are still going to be in the lottery, and depending on how other teams do, they are going to have the potential of getting 2 more lottery picks as well.

Look, at some point they were gonna need to start signing guys.  They need immediate help in the post.  They could have waited to attempt to sign a guy next year, but I'm not crazy about the potential big men free agents next year (Gortat, Bosh). 

They used their amnesty on Thomas, so the money is close enough to a wash for me.  I just dont see what the big deal is.

Yeah I still think they will be in the bottom third of the league also, I also read they had to get ABOVE the salary cap threshold or have to pay penalties, so getting a Center for 2 years gauranteed to get away from this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

The starting five will probably be, Kemba, Henderson, MKG, McRoberts/Zeller, and Jefferson... that team still doesn't look like world beaters and I'm sure they will have a shot at a high draft pick next year also.
NWA - 5/8/13

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #70 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:25 am

That same guy drafted Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka.  That's 3 all stars and 1 all first team def player, over a 3 year period.  Again, I wasn't crazy about the Wallace trade.  But Cho definitely earned some leeway.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #71 on: July 09, 2013, 12:14:33 pm

That same guy drafted Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka.  That's 3 all stars and 1 all first team def player, over a 3 year period.  Again, I wasn't crazy about the Wallace trade.  But Cho definitely earned some leeway.

Jordan is the one who traded away Jackson Wallace and all of those guys.  Cho was hired in 2011, because Jordan's strategy wasn't working.  Cho took over the worst team in NBA history.
#bus1

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #72 on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:35 pm
Tanking for draft picks is like dumping your wife for a hot high school girl.

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #73 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:14 pm
Tanking for draft picks is like dumping your wife for a hot high school girl.

I'm confused. What is your point??
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #74 on: July 09, 2013, 03:17:54 pm

Jordan is the one who traded away Jackson Wallace and all of those guys.  Cho was hired in 2011, because Jordan's strategy wasn't working.  Cho took over the worst team in NBA history.

Right, but they were/are using the same plan, trade away veterans for future draft picks.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos