Author Topic: Something else to muck up the "University City" area  (Read 13057 times)

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:28:14 pm
Yeah I posted about this in one of the other university city development threads.

It's a real shame. This area was slated for transit oriented development with a mix of single family homes, small retail / office, and multi family.

Now we'll have a big disgusting auto mall next to one of the light rail stops.

To make thing worse, the guy that wants to develop this auto mall is the chairman of University City Partners.

It's a f***ing joke.

It says their goal is to lure the auto dealers that may be negatively impacted by light rail...which means we'll just end up with empty old car dealerships all up North Tryon.

Just stop the light rail at NoDa and call it a day. The city has already fucked the success of this line. With leadership like University City Partners, the university area deserves every shitty development it gets.

emf

• Senior
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:49:42 pm
I sent Barnes a quick email asking him to vote no on this auto mall.  It's probably a foregone conclusion the dealership will be built at this point, everything else is theater, but it can't hurt.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/citycouncil/meetthecouncil/pages/district%204%20michael%20barnes.aspx

chasmo101

• Junior
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:10:43 am
Zoning meeting is September 16... time to make a difference. Allowing development that is short sited is what has occurred too often in the UC area... Time to make smart choices.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:20:43 am
So create more blight on North Tryon by leaving a bunch of vacant auto dealer lots by moving them a short distance away to an open field. University City has some horrible zoning strategies. Continuous impracticable sprawl of big box store and cheap apartment complexes only to be replaced my more big box stores and cheap apartment complexes a few years later.   

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:54:07 am
Nothing says "University" like an auto mall.  Come on guys, get with the program! These leaders know what is best!

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:24:02 am
it amazes me there are enough people buying new cars to support more auto malls.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:26:25 am
I don't think there is anything wrong with an auto mall in theory just as long as it is not placed in an area that will get in the way of transit related development.

This is especially short sited because it seems to me that when the light rail line is in place the UC corridor is going to explode with development. Way more than the south side line. Why do I say that?  I may be wrong but just based on how close some of the really bad neighborhoods are to the south line it would seem to me that the UC area would be more attractive for potential investors and residents. Not saying that the north tryon corridor is a rose garden by any means but it doesn't seem as bad as south tryon. Especially the areas really close to the south end area.

I have never explored off of N Tryon so correct me if I'm wrong.

Just seems like the transit related development is UCs big chance to get out from behind the 8 ball.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:29 am
My zoning views, pay to put something else there, or quit meddling in others' livelihoods.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 09:51:09 am
I don't think there is anything wrong with an auto mall in theory just as long as it is not placed in an area that will get in the way of transit related development.

This is especially short sited because it seems to me that when the light rail line is in place the UC corridor is going to explode with development. Way more than the south side line. Why do I say that?  I may be wrong but just based on how close some of the really bad neighborhoods are to the south line it would seem to me that the UC area would be more attractive for potential investors and residents. Not saying that the north tryon corridor is a rose garden by any means but it doesn't seem as bad as south tryon. Especially the areas really close to the south end area.

I have never explored off of N Tryon so correct me if I'm wrong.

Just seems like the transit related development is UCs big chance to get out from behind the 8 ball.
No it won't.

NoDa will, just as SouthEnd has. Look at the southern end of the blue line though. It hasn't done a single thing for development in that area.

UCity will continue to be a poorly developed surburban cesspool even after light rail is finished (and I don't mean all suburbs are cesspools, UCity is a just one of the most poorly developed areas of Charlotte).

UCity will never be a destination except on gamedays. People will then get in their cars or on the train and leave.

My zoning views, pay to put something else there, or quit meddling in others' livelihoods.

Zoning laws exist to build neighborhoods in a way that helps a lot of people. This proposal would hurt the UCity area and also create further blight on N. Tryon street. Look at Independence and the southern portion of S. Blvd. There are a lot of empty car dealerships that have simply been left to decay. They look terrible and bring down the property value for everyone else around them.

Zoning laws are how you don't end up with a chemical factory next to a neighborhood. They're a good thing in most cases. They protect against short sighted developers that do not care about the long term viability of an area.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:51:46 am
Let's build a light rail that provides easy access to car dealerships!   ???   Makes perfect sense.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 12:05:54 pm
Let's build a light rail that provides easy access to car dealerships!   ???   Makes perfect sense.

Makes it easier to shop for a car by yourself...
DUCK FAVIDSON

aosbor18

• Walk On
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 12:32:20 pm
This is the exact kind of development University city doesn't need. It's not dense, its not pedestrian friendly and it does nothing for most people that live here. I emailed Barnes as well though it sorta seems like he's already on this side.

chasmo101

• Junior
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 03:34:02 pm

No it won't.

NoDa will, just as SouthEnd has. Look at the southern end of the blue line though. It hasn't done a single thing for development in that area.

UCity will continue to be a poorly dev areas developed surburban cesspool even after light rail is finished (and I don't mean all suburbs are cesspools, UCity is a just one of the most poorlyUCity will never be a destination except on gamedays. People will then get in their cars or on the

Zoning laws exist to build neighborhoods in a way that helps a lot of people. This proposal would hurt the UCity area and also create further blight on N. Tryon street. Look at Independence and the southern portion of S. Blvd. There are a lot of empty car dealerships that have simply been left to decay. They look terrible and bring down the property value for everyone else around them.
They protect against short sighted developers that do not care about the long term viability of an area.

Can someone provide the e-mail address to those that can influence this decision?

aosbor18

• Walk On
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:55:35 pm
I emailed barnes and the mayor, here is what barnes response was "
Good afternoon.

Thanks for your e-mail.  Feel free to speak at the Sept. 16 public hearing on this case.  You may also wish to share your thoughts with the Mayor and other Council members.
www.facebook.com/barnesforcharlotte
Twitter:  @barnes4CLT

P.O. Box 481629
Charlotte, NC 28269
"Leading Charlotte To A Brighter Future"

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 03:32:41 pm
Does CLT even have a Mayor? :))
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Charlottean

• Walk On
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 04:40:29 pm
I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, but has anyone/alumni wanted/planned on putting a Charlotte fan store, University focused restaurant/bar in University City or specifically UCity Place?

Also, why hasn't anyone touched the old Gus' Original 49er building in 3 or 4 years?

BleEDgreen49er

• Freshman
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 04:45:14 pm
I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, but has anyone/alumni wanted/planned on putting a Charlotte fan store, University focused restaurant/bar in University City or specifically UCity Place?

Also, why hasn't anyone touched the old Gus' Original 49er building in 3 or 4 years?

I've been wanting to, its part of my whole plan... one day...

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 04:49:40 pm
I am guessing it is due to the seemingly bad reputation that UC is getting (or at least I perceive) for crime.

I have been meaning to post about this for a while.  From what I hear (and this could all be anecdotal so PLEASE correct me if I am wrong with facts, nothing would make me happier).

It just seems that the last decade as the university itself has gotten nicer the UC has been "de-gentrifying". It seems like I am always hearing people talk about crime in the area and how there are no nice places to live.

To me that is the biggest challenge long term to Charlotte. How to encourage positive growth and crime reduction around the university.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:42 pm
Cheap housing attracts some bad mojo...
Mahna Mahna

Charlottean

• Walk On
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 04:57:18 pm
From my knowledge of the area, where is the cheap housing other than student off campus housing?
Also I feel like there is a lot of activity on the weekends during the summer at UCity Place. It does not seem unsafe, lots of children and families...
Is a lot of this based on local news reporting on crime. I just looked at a map of crime rates, and it seems that the only area where there is a high occurrence of crime is on Old Concord road. To me thats basically old Newell not U City.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 05:04:33 pm
From my knowledge of the area, where is the cheap housing other than student off campus housing?
Also I feel like there is a lot of activity on the weekends during the summer at UCity Place. It does not seem unsafe, lots of children and families...
Is a lot of this based on local news reporting on crime. I just looked at a map of crime rates, and it seems that the only area where there is a high occurrence of crime is on Old Concord road. To me thats basically old Newell not U City.
There is a city-owned government housing complex across 49 by Colville. I don't remember the name of the road anymore though.

I know a few of the "student" apartments off campus that rent by the room have a really high number of non-students. My sister lived in University Walk two years ago and got stuck with two super-ghetto girls that did not go to school. They had a lot of different dudes over a lot too and my sister felt uncomfortable, so she almost never stayed there.

A lot of Colville, Colville II, and the other developments from the 80's have a high percentage of non-students. I used to live in Colville and it was majority non-student when I was there. I looked at a few units there and some of them were really bad inside. You could tell there had been some pretty low-class individuals living in there. Holes all in the walls, carpet with cigarette burns all in it. Nothing cleaned in what looked like years. It was disgusting.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 05:06:47 pm
If they could zone the UC "Section-8 free" that would take care of so many problems.  When you import people that think students have more than they do you are just dropping trouble into a target-rich environment.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Charlottean

• Walk On
Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 05:11:03 pm
Is the crime targeted at students? I didn't know anyone that had a problem while at school, or is it crime within that area?
Also, the 29 side of the school does not seem to be bad. Is this one pocket making the whole area look bad? Why don't Charlotte alum know this and still open something?

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 05:50:48 pm
If they could zone the UC "Section-8 free" that would take care of so many problems.  When you import people that think students have more than they do you are just dropping trouble into a target-rich environment.
You can't really zone it that way though. Section 8 is a voucher. There aren't "Section 8 Complexes." I mean I get what you're saying, I just want to point out that section 8 is not a type of housing. Section 8 vouchers allow low income people to choose where they want to live.

I could rent my place out to someone with a section 8 voucher if I wanted to.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos