Author Topic: Something else to muck up the "University City" area  (Read 13054 times)

cltniners

Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 08:36:01 pm
clt says that u city needs more density.

aosbor18

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 10:34:32 am
Has anyone checked that facebook link from earlier, every person who has responded has been strongly against this, except UC partners of course

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 10:44:13 am
Has anyone checked that facebook link from earlier, every person who has responded has been strongly against this, except UC partners of course
Those in favor of it have no reason to comment on it.  The loudest voice does not always represent the majority.
Go NINERS!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 10:49:52 am
Those in favor of it have no reason to comment on it.  The loudest voice does not always represent the majority.
In this case, I think it is fair to say that most people in UC, if made aware of this development, would not be in favor of it.

Nobody wants car dealerships in their area. They do not add anything positive to an area. They have their place in society, but it should not be beside what was supposed to be one of the premier light rail stations on the blue line extension.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 09:17:20 pm
In this case, I think it is fair to say that most people in UC, if made aware of this development, would not be in favor of it.

Nobody wants car dealerships in their area. They do not add anything positive to an area. They have their place in society, but it should not be beside what was supposed to be one of the premier light rail stations on the blue line extension.

truth is, when they build car dealerships, NO BODY ELSE wants to be around them. This project will NOT promote a pleasant, "collegiate atmosphere" for the area.   
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 09:20:17 pm

truth is, when they build car dealerships, NO BODY ELSE wants to be around them. This project will NOT promote a pleasant, "collegiate atmosphere" for the area.
All one has to do is drive down South Blvd or Independence to see what happens to car dealerships 20 years down the road.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:03 pm

All one has to do is drive down South Blvd or Independence to see what happens to car dealerships 20 years down the road.

Yeah, they use them for post-apocalyptic movie sets.  ??? :'(

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

aosbor18

• Walk On
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:15 pm
Heads up, the meeting on this is next monday september 16th

Noreaster

• Senior
Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 04:05:25 pm
Good point at the end of the article.  Plenty of dealerships now use parking decks instead of just paving over an enormous lot.  Scott Clark Toyota did that on Independence, and it works just fine.  There is some open display area, but a majority of the cars are in the deck.  No reason that can't be done here to encourage a mixed use of the property, with non-car dealership uses closer to the station.

emf

• Senior
Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 10:58:32 pm
No vote taken, deferred to September 25, but the plot thickens as apparently there's 30 acres on the other side of the light rail, opposite the proposed auto mall that's under contract, and already zoned for an auto dealership... the potential exists that there'd be auto mall on one side of the line and an auto dealership on the other.  A lot of... well, to put it politely, "arm-twisting", that if the city approves the auto mall then the car dealerships won't build elsewhere, closer to the line, or "letting" the city develop transit-oriented development on other properties along the line.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/16/4319422/council-members-raise-concerns.html

chasmo101

• Junior
Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 06:32:36 am
Time to step up, this is where the university, (students and student govt) need to be vocal. It looks lke there are some with a vision of what should be. But the "Parks" don't really care.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 09:58:38 am
This issue should be at the top of the priority list for all supporters of the university.

Would be great to geta  few people there for the next meeting.

I do not like the threats around a purchase option, etc. Auto folks are trying to bully their way to getting what they want.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
#unc-CHeatingPays

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 01:59:25 pm
Although it probably had no impact, I would like to think the trolling myself and several others did on the UCP facebook page contributed to this.

UCP is pathetic and since she has run it since its inception, it is fair to say that she was pathetic at her job.

I also like to think that UCP commercials during our football games contributed to her ouster. Those things are terrible.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 09:18:29 pm
Bottom line: the UCP should do all it can to turn the area around the University into as much of a "college town" environment (with the accompanying "soul") as possible. Anything else would be just a sham and the UCP would be another "civic group" selling out to crap like that damn proposed auto mall for the business interests and money (kickbacks?) it would make for people who couldn't care less about the University, the area, or the "soul" that our college campus and surrounding area needs, and dammit, deserves.   

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

chasmo101

• Junior
Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 11:20:11 am
Bottom line: the UCP should do all it can to turn the area around the University into as much of a "college town" environment (with the accompanying "soul") as possible. Anything else would be just a sham and the UCP would be another "civic group" selling out to crap like that damn proposed auto mall for the business interests and money (kickbacks?) it would make for people who couldn't care less about the University, the area, or the "soul" that our college campus and surrounding area needs, and dammit, deserves.

The key is a leader that can be a voice... Will this happen??

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerAdvocate

Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 08:30:16 am

$100 says they are hoping to sneak it by during the holiday craze.

I hope that doesnt happen.

emf

• Senior
Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 09:10:41 am

$100 says they are hoping to sneak it by during the holiday craze.

I hope that doesnt happen.
That was my thought as well.  This is like the second or third deferral on a decision.

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #47 on: November 01, 2013, 08:26:24 am
The timing of this move is interesting.

Was the former director supportive of the auto mall. Based on the development of the UC area since she has been in charge, it would make me think she was.   However, I could be wrong.

The new guy is only acting, so could he just be the fall guy who supports this travesty of an automall in a tOD zone?

Interest edit o see how this plays out.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #48 on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:49 am
Edit. Didn't see that a new Exec Director was named. Hope her experience in Center City helps support a transition for UC from a suburban nightmare to a livable walkable 24/7 area.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #49 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:21 am
The timing of this move is interesting.

Was the former director supportive of the auto mall. Based on the development of the UC area since she has been in charge, it would make me think she was.   However, I could be wrong.

The new guy is only acting, so could he just be the fall guy who supports this travesty of an automall in a tOD zone?

Interest edit o see how this plays out.
She defended it on Facebook pretty hard when I and a few others here were attacking the idea of it, so I'd definitely say she was a supporter.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos