Author Topic: Blue Line Status  (Read 4729 times)

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerAdvocate

cltniners

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:22:28 am
clt says the light rail is our monorail.

emf

• Senior
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:06 am
That's quite a jump in time.  For months they've been saying everything's fine, now suddenly they need six more months.  They had to have known they weren't going to make the August target if there's thousands of electrical connections that haven't been made.

EDIT: Yeah, I thought I remembered CATS saying recently that they're ahead of schedule.  December 16, 2016, the CATS CEO says:
Im keeping my fingers crossed every day, from a weather standpoint, Charlotte Area Transit System CEO John Lewis said of the construction pace, noting that an August opening represents a seven-month schedule advance. I think were on track for that.
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/12/16/forecast-2017rail-line-takes-next-step.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:04:24 am by emf »

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:56:14 am
clt says the light rail is our monorail.

So who is Lyle Lanley? CHP?

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:24:59 am
That's quite a jump in time.  For months they've been saying everything's fine, now suddenly they need six more months.  They had to have known they weren't going to make the August target if there's thousands of electrical connections that haven't been made.

EDIT: Yeah, I thought I remembered CATS saying recently that they're ahead of schedule.  December 16, 2016, the CATS CEO says:
Im keeping my fingers crossed every day, from a weather standpoint, Charlotte Area Transit System CEO John Lewis said of the construction pace, noting that an August opening represents a seven-month schedule advance. I think were on track for that.
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/12/16/forecast-2017rail-line-takes-next-step.html
Say it aint so? Another project on UNCCs campus is behind schedule? Wow never heard that one before
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:32 am
But but but but the Blue Line makes $500 worth it to park in the lot formerly known as Silver Lot!

We got ourselves a clusterfuck and a half here, boys.
DUCK FAVIDSON

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 09:47:18 am
Electrical connections seems like a weird excuse to me. I'm no expert but the whole thing is very close to being done, not a year away from being done. They're already driving and storing vehicles in NODA which makes me think there's more to the story than just "electrical connections."
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

NinerAdvocate

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 09:51:37 am
The extra 12 mos should also be spent rebranding the thing as the Green Line or Gold Line, which it always should have been.

And unless there is a bigger undisclosed issue, I think there is some Montgomery Scott level expectations management going on here.

Hooner49

• Senior Captain
  • #namechangenow
    • University Name Change Campaign
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:29:07 am
The extra 12 mos should also be spent rebranding the thing as the Green Line or Gold Line, which it always should have been.

And unless there is a bigger undisclosed issue, I think there is some Montgomery Scott level expectations management going on here.

A rebrand requires money.
(08:50:08) The_White_Samurai: 90% of farts that come from a diet such as Hooner's result in bleeding.

(10:25:26) NLP49: Dude, you're not Hooner. Only Hooner is.
(10:25:32) NLP49: And even he doesn't rub it in our faces.

(11:59:07) Charlotte2002: hooner's honesty is admirable

cltniners

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:57:06 am
clt says this was more of a shelbyville idea.

sad.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 11:15:02 am

I think the  issue is the line is continuous, you don't change from S. Blvd to the U.  If you change one side you need to change the entire thing.
Mahna Mahna

NinerLove

• Sophomore
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:23 am

I think the  issue is the line is continuous, you don't change from S. Blvd to the U.  If you change one side you need to change the entire thing.

While technically true, I don't think it would be terribly confusing to have center city be the junction point and use "Green" or "Blue" from that point.  I mean it's not like we have multiple "lines" anyway, at least at the moment.  If anything it might even be a helpful indicator telling riders the direction from town, etc.  Or even better, I like "Green" going north (toward the university since this is the fartherst point north) and "Blue" headed south.  But there is a "Gold" line they use for the street car that runs from the arena to Novant.

http://www.lynxcharlotte.com/citylynx-gold-line/

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 11:42:03 am
What? Expensive choo-choo go over schedule? How could that possibly happen?

cltniners

Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 01:19:21 pm
clt has news. the blue line stop on campus will be demolished and replaced by a new stop. lots more bricks.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 02:44:45 pm
clt has news. the blue line stop on campus will be demolished and replaced by a new stop. lots more bricks.
CHP strikes again?  ;)

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 03:36:00 pm
Norfolk southern has been dragging their feet relocating their tracks. They were also the cause of delays on the original piece of the blue line.

The project was otherwise ahead of schedule and under budget.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 03:42:08 pm
Norfolk southern has been dragging their feet relocating their tracks. They were also the cause of delays on the original piece of the blue line.

Could Charlotte have built into the contract that if this isn't moved by X we get to fine you?

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 04:11:24 pm

While technically true, I don't think it would be terribly confusing to have center city be the junction point and use "Green" or "Blue" from that point.  I mean it's not like we have multiple "lines" anyway, at least at the moment.  If anything it might even be a helpful indicator telling riders the direction from town, etc.  Or even better, I like "Green" going north (toward the university since this is the fartherst point north) and "Blue" headed south.  But there is a "Gold" line they use for the street car that runs from the arena to Novant.

http://www.lynxcharlotte.com/citylynx-gold-line/

It's OK to still discuss this, but years ago I brought up whether the line to campus could be called the Green Line. We even approached CATS at planning meetings and were told the decision was already made, and it would be a continuation of the original Blue Line and NOTHING could/would change it. They said it had to do with existing bus lines out to the area called Blue Line, yada, yada, yada. So, yes that horse has been dead for some time, but I know much pleasure is derived here of beating deceased equine of various colors, shapes, genders, and sizes, so by all means, continue if you must.   
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 05:05:34 pm

Could Charlotte have built into the contract that if this isn't moved by X we get to fine you?
railroads hold an immense amount of power. They had very favorable laws created for themselves back when they dominated the economy. As powerful/important as oil is today, the railroads used to be far more powerful. For example, railroad employees don't have to pay into social security.

While NS has been a king sized bag of dicks related to all things  rail transit in Charlotte, there isn't really much that can be done. The blue line and Amtrak are reasons for the line upgrades and relocations on their right of way. Theoretically they could have been even more difficult than they already are.

cltniners

Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 05:27:49 pm
clt says how does this impact what really matters?

Tailgating.

emf

• Senior
Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 07:59:11 pm
Just watched a Facebook Live presentation. Couple interesting bits are that the JW Clay/UNC Charlotte bridge will be lit like Duke Energy for special occasions, and that there will be signs on the Interstate indicating if a parking deck is full or not.

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 08:33:03 am
Just watched a Facebook Live presentation. Couple interesting bits are that the JW Clay/UNC Charlotte bridge will be lit like Duke Energy for special occasions, and that there will be signs on the Interstate indicating if a parking deck is full or not.

So baby blue instead of green.  Got it.

By the way, how predictable was it that they would not use that brand new overhead pedestrian bridge to advertise in some way, shape or form that a nearly 30,000 student public university with D1 football and basketball exists literally across the street?

The [university city parters logo]universityCity[unc charlotte crown logo] thing might be the most confusing and ridiculous bit of "branding" I've ever seen. 

Every time they have an opportunity, they just dig a deeper hole.

niner319

• Walk On
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 09:20:07 am

So baby blue instead of green.  Got it.

By the way, how predictable was it that they would not use that brand new overhead pedestrian bridge to advertise in some way, shape or form that a nearly 30,000 student public university with D1 football and basketball exists literally across the street?

The [university city parters logo]universityCity[unc charlotte crown logo] thing might be the most confusing and ridiculous bit of "branding" I've ever seen. 

Every time they have an opportunity, they just dig a deeper hole.

God our "Branding" is terrible.  I've had multiple people that I have met that moved here recently from out of town that know absolutely nothing about our University.  Some have been here two years and they do not know that Charlotte has a football team, they do not know just how big our school is, or even where it is located. We are becoming a big school, but we still have a small mindset. 

Some of that falls on the people just being unaware moving to a new city.  But a lot of it falls on branding and marketing and not having a strong presence in our own city. 

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos