Author Topic: Kevin Olsen - 2016 JUCO QB - signed with Charlotte  (Read 31465 times)

cltniners

Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 10:49:30 pm
clt links to the observer story about a 4 star qb signing with the local FBS team. That 4 star qb is also the brother of the star tight end of the best team in the nfl, which happens to be in Charlotte.

The link:

They do have a story about former Tarheel Hakeem Nicks getting a chance with the Giants!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article50184220.html

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 10:59:54 pm
clt links to the observer story about a 4 star qb signing with the local FBS team. That 4 star qb is also the brother of the star tight end of the best team in the nfl, which happens to be in Charlotte.

The link:

They do have a story about former Tarheel Hakeem Nicks getting a chance with the Giants!

Clt is unfair. There's El NiŮo happening, 70 degrees

Our best writer is occupied studying Santa forecast
"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; itís been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 11:14:04 pm
To interrupt clt's 10:00 o'clock show, this is a big signing.  This get is huge and perhaps his notoriety can not only help recruit, but build a little bridge with the Panthers and the rest of the metro area.  There have been a lot of crappy days to be a Niner in the last couple of months, but this one should be one we should enjoy.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 12:00:40 am

The link:

Clt is unfair. There's El NiŮo happening, 70 degrees

Our best writer is occupied studying Santa forecast

Sneak peak at paper: 

Chance of rain today is 100%, UNCC may sign a JUCO quarterback, Go Heels.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:09:26 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

upperdeck

• Sophomore
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 06:33:56 am
Sounds like a talented guy. Hopefully he contributes to more of a passing threat for the offense, agree with everyone that was by far the biggest weak link this year (especially given the coaches decided to throw a certain amount no matter the circumstances).

What got him the suspensions? Was it silly stuff, or something more serious?

Not silly stuff.

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 06:54:12 am
  Olsen, a top-10 quarterback recruit while at Hills, was suspended three times while enrolled at the University of Miami where he violated team rules, failed a drug test, and was charged with DUI and possessing a fake driverís license, ESPN.com reported.

Olsen joined the football team at Towson University but was dismissed from the team before he ever took a snap for violating team rules, The Record reported.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/wayne/ex-wayne-hills-qb-kevin-olsen-trying-fresh-start-0

Let's hope he has turned it around. Being near his brother should help.
"When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly." - Jase Robertson

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 07:21:20 am
Didn't we pass on a qb with less issues? As far as I know Ferguson had no legal troubles and had never been dismissed from a team. Looks like the coaching staff realized you have to take a chance on questionable character if you want to win. Hopefully being in the same city as his older brother will set him straight. I look forward to seeing him play.

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #32 on: December 17, 2015, 07:38:29 am
He made some mistakes years ago. Went to juco and didn't have issues. Have to give kids second chances, especially when they've proven they have matured.

We weren't the only ones to not go after Riley last year. I don't know the why, but something or someone was giving the coaches red flags. Similar to Olsen, he proved himself enough this season to earn the respect of the staff. It just didn't work out.

I'm excited Olsen is here. He's the kind of kid Charlotte needs to pull in to compete. It's a risk sure, but you don't win at anything without taking a risk.

Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #33 on: December 17, 2015, 07:50:57 am
Also, people are bitching about the observer not writing an article but where is the press from the AD. We just signed arguably our best recruit ever in our biggest sport for the position we in which we struggled the most. No mention of it from the AD on the official Twitter page or website.

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #34 on: December 17, 2015, 07:55:28 am
Also, people are bitching about the observer not writing an article but where is the press from the AD. We just signed arguably our best recruit ever in our biggest sport for the position we in which we struggled the most. No mention of it from the AD on the official Twitter page or website.
Because minitrue

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Reply #35 on: December 17, 2015, 08:04:36 am
Didn't we pass on a qb with less issues? As far as I know Ferguson had no legal troubles and had never been dismissed from a team. Looks like the coaching staff realized you have to take a chance on questionable character if you want to win. Hopefully being in the same city as his older brother will set him straight. I look forward to seeing him play.
Relationships matter. Richardsons. Think about it
"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; itís been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Reply #36 on: December 17, 2015, 08:05:39 am
They can't....

ice up son

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 08:07:33 am
They can't....

ice up son
are you saying they can't within the rules?  Because they can now that the ink is on the NLI.

Plenty of coaches twitter profiles and athletics programs were welcoming kids yesterday.

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #38 on: December 17, 2015, 08:11:17 am
They can't....

ice up son

I was under the impression that coaches and ADs could discuss a recruit once the NLI was signed. Am I wrong?

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #39 on: December 17, 2015, 08:11:28 am
Man, this is how I feel about Charlotte 49ers athletics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTZmECTVbs

I just can't walk away.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Reply #40 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15:37 am
They can't....

ice up son

are you saying they can't within the rules?  Because they can now that the ink is on the NLI.

Plenty of coaches twitter profiles and athletics programs were welcoming kids yesterday.
ou are correct if they gave the letter signed

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #41 on: December 17, 2015, 08:28:16 am
I think for JUCO's in the past, they let it all out in 1 release. For Signing Day, they notified per signee, if I'm not mistaken.

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
Reply #42 on: December 17, 2015, 08:29:44 am
No stats from last year. GCCC is full of former D1 QBs.
I don't think he has thrown a pass in a football game since high school. He's 21.
"When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly." - Jase Robertson

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #43 on: December 17, 2015, 08:37:13 am
I don't think he has thrown a pass in a football game since high school. He's 21.
http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2015-16/players/kevinolsenndwb?view=career

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #44 on: December 17, 2015, 08:37:55 am
No, he threw a number of TDs at his JUCO in California this past season.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #45 on: December 17, 2015, 08:38:52 am
Not true. He played @ Riverside last season.

http://www.rccathletics.com/sports/fball/2015-16/players/kevinolsenndwb

Game Log: http://www.rccathletics.com/sports/fball/2015-16/players/kevinolsenndwb?view=gamelog

13 TDs, 10 Ints.

Decision making was Dilfer's biggest criticism @ 2012 Elite11 camp (Top 25 HS QBs in nation). But he pulled himself together (focus) and ended up #11 in the camp. He'll need to continue to develop that focus here.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:58:37 am by NinerAdvocate »

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #46 on: December 17, 2015, 08:59:04 am

My take on the coaching staff's thinking on the Riley thing is this:
We thought Barden was going to be the four year starter and was better than he was last season. 
Bringing in a transfer with issues, essentially over recruiting your four year starter, will cause Barden to transfer.  It would also, in the staff's mind, send a bad message to future recruits. 

My take on the coaching staff thinking on Olsen:
Bring him in.  He's the best available player.  We need him, current players will have to suck it up.

Basically, last year we were pollyannaish in this matter.  I think the staff realizes this now.  College football is dog eat dog. 
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #47 on: December 17, 2015, 09:06:18 am
I agree.  I think the staff now realizes this is big boys football and players transfers all the time.  Texas A&M just lost their top two QB's in less than a week.  One was a 5 star and the other a 4 star over perceived treatment.  Coaches are use to change and Lambert knows he must put a better offensive on the field this yr than last year.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #48 on: December 17, 2015, 09:07:26 am

My take on the coaching staff's thinking on the Riley thing is this:
We thought Barden was going to be the four year starter and was better than he was last season. 
Bringing in a transfer with issues, essentially over recruiting your four year starter, will cause Barden to transfer.  It would also, in the staff's mind, send a bad message to future recruits. 

My take on the coaching staff thinking on Olsen:
Bring him in.  He's the best available player.  We need him, current players will have to suck it up.

Basically, last year we were pollyannaish in this matter.  I think the staff realizes this now.  College football is dog eat dog.

I agree.  I think the staff thought Barden was going to be the man and put all their eggs in his basket.  Sometime between Riely and now, they realized they might not have what they thought they had in Barden.  Their loyalty to Barden hurt us in this situation.

As far as Olsen, it is nice to have some (cautiously optimistic) good news for a change as a 49er fan.

HighFlying49er

• Sophomore
  • BSCE 2004, FSL Owner
Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 09:20:10 am
I think Tintin's approach to the Riley situation is on point, but it's water under the bridge now.

I also think there is some validity to Oldrow's comment regarding the Richardson relationship, and that's not a bad thing.  Sure, Olsen is a risk with his history, but the staff realized that they misjudged Barden last year and their loyalty cost them.  I am sure that they also consulted with the Richardsons regarding Olsen's growth and maturity and how being close to his brother could help him continue that growth.  They also know that a strong bond between Charlotte and the Panthers can only help in the eyes of recruits and the community.  Stadium Named after Panthers Owner? Check.  Current Panthers helping at camp? Check.  Pro Bowl player's brother on the team?  Perfect!

After Kevin proved he could stay out of trouble in California, I think he has also realized that this is his third, and likely last chance at D1 football.  I'm hopeful he's matured a lot in 2 years, and we're about to see some special things in Richardson Stadium next year!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos