Author Topic: Kevin Olsen - 2016 JUCO QB - signed with Charlotte  (Read 31463 times)

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
Reply #50 on: December 17, 2015, 09:30:52 am
Not true. He played @ Riverside last season.

http://www.rccathletics.com/sports/fball/2015-16/players/kevinolsenndwb

Game Log: http://www.rccathletics.com/sports/fball/2015-16/players/kevinolsenndwb?view=gamelog

13 TDs, 10 Ints.

Decision making was Dilfer's biggest criticism @ 2012 Elite11 camp (Top 25 HS QBs in nation). But he pulled himself together (focus) and ended up #11 in the camp. He'll need to continue to develop that focus here.

Thanks. For some reason I was thinking Garden City CC and not Riverside.
"When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly." - Jase Robertson

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 10:17:17 am
I think Tintin's approach to the Riley situation is on point, but it's water under the bridge now.

I also think there is some validity to Oldrow's comment regarding the Richardson relationship, and that's not a bad thing.  Sure, Olsen is a risk with his history, but the staff realized that they misjudged Barden last year and their loyalty cost them.  I am sure that they also consulted with the Richardsons regarding Olsen's growth and maturity and how being close to his brother could help him continue that growth.  They also know that a strong bond between Charlotte and the Panthers can only help in the eyes of recruits and the community.  Stadium Named after Panthers Owner? Check.  Current Panthers helping at camp? Check.  Pro Bowl player's brother on the team?  Perfect!

After Kevin proved he could stay out of trouble in California, I think he has also realized that this is his third, and likely last chance at D1 football.  I'm hopeful he's matured a lot in 2 years, and we're about to see some special things in Richardson Stadium next year!
Jr grandson on staff ;)
"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; itís been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #52 on: December 17, 2015, 03:16:34 pm
I don't want to be that guy that trashes a recruit we didn't get, but I will any way. Have you ever heard Ferguson talk? The guy sounds like a wannabe gangster. Olsen is obviously no angel but his issues were making poor choices regarding alcohol. I don't think our staff questions Olsen's character (and hopefully won't ever have to) but I think our coaches might of questioned Ferguson's character maybe thinking he was a ME type player.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #53 on: December 17, 2015, 03:36:34 pm
I don't want to be that guy that trashes a recruit we didn't get, but I will any way. Have you ever heard Ferguson talk? The guy sounds like a wannabe gangster. Olsen is obviously no angel but his issues were making poor choices regarding alcohol. I don't think our staff questions Olsen's character (and hopefully won't ever have to) but I think our coaches might of questioned Ferguson's character maybe thinking he was a ME type player.
Then he is going to love Memphis.
#unc-CHeatingPays

truninersfan

• Sophomore
Reply #54 on: December 17, 2015, 04:02:45 pm
Was Charlotte the only school interested in Olsen?

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #55 on: December 17, 2015, 04:08:37 pm
Was Charlotte the only school interested in Olsen?
Nah, he tweeted some other schools that had offered him.

I think Eastern Illinois was one of them.

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #56 on: December 17, 2015, 04:20:23 pm
Eastern Illinois is an FCS team who's mascot is....get this....the Panthers.
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #58 on: December 18, 2015, 08:46:05 am
Observer article.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article50346555.html

The addition of Olsen gives the 49ers four legitimate starting candidates at quarterback.
I guess this answers the question wondering if D Scott actually covered any of our games last year.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #59 on: December 18, 2015, 08:53:21 am
^^ As soon as I read that line (Which was like the 2nd or 3rd one) I knew that article was another piece of trash.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #60 on: December 18, 2015, 09:02:54 am
Observer article.

The addition of Olsen gives the 49ers four legitimate starting candidates at quarterback.
I guess this answers the question wondering if D Scott actually covered any of our games last year.
Yea, don't we also have another QB transfer who sat out last year? Will we rotating all 5 next season?   ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:05:14 am by 4ever niner »

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #61 on: December 18, 2015, 09:06:39 am
^^ As soon as I read that line (Which was like the 2nd or 3rd one) I knew that article was another piece of trash.
Your first clue should have been the writer's name, Rick Scott.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #62 on: December 18, 2015, 09:07:15 am
Observer article.

Yea, don't we also have another QB transfer who sat out last year? Will we rotating all 5 next season?   ;D
I imagine we'll see the competition come down to Olsen and Klugh. I could even see us rotating Klugh in occasionally if we want to run since he is reportedly very fast.
Unless Olsen and Klugh are both terrible though, I doubt we see any kind of a rotation like we did last year. If we do, Judy should clean house after game 1 and pick a fan from the stands to coach each game because the results will be the same.

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Reply #63 on: December 18, 2015, 09:20:56 am
Observer article.

I imagine we'll see the competition come down to Olsen and Klugh. I could even see us rotating Klugh in occasionally if we want to run since he is reportedly very fast.
Unless Olsen and Klugh are both terrible though, I doubt we see any kind of a rotation like we did last year. If we do, Judy should clean house after game 1 and pick a fan from the stands to coach each game because the results will be the same.
That quote about 4 starters is shameful.  David must of been studying cold fronts and El Nino with his cohort.
"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; itís been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #64 on: December 18, 2015, 09:23:02 am
Observer article.

Hopefully an FBS QB emerges from the 6 we currently have projected on the roster next year.  I think the depth chart might look something like this:

Olsen
Barden
Klugh
Thompson (RS)
Johnson (HB?)
McNeill  (Holder?)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:50:46 am by Mr. Bojangles »

trickynbc

• Freshman
  • BSEE 2010, I Wanna Go Fast!
Reply #65 on: December 18, 2015, 09:32:46 am
I imagine Matt Johnson move to a different position, he's too big and too good of an athlete not to be on the field.
"Why not pick Charlotte?" - Joe Thompson

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #66 on: December 18, 2015, 09:38:27 am
Observer article.

Hopefully an FBS QB emerges from the 6 we currently have projected on the roster next year.  I think the depth chart might look something like this:

Olsen
Barden
Klugh
Thomas (RS)
Johnson (HB?)
McNeill  (Holder?)
I assume you mean Joe Thompson (not Thomas)?

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #67 on: December 18, 2015, 09:50:31 am
Observer article.

Olsen
Barden
Klugh
Thompson (RS)
Johnson (HB?)
McNeill  (Holder?)
I assume you mean Joe Thompson (not Thomas)?

Yep

NinerAdvocate

Reply #68 on: December 18, 2015, 10:13:19 am
I imagine Matt Johnson move to a different position, he's too big and too good of an athlete not to be on the field.

Yes, I hope so. He's a very good athlete. I think he'd make a good H back, though we dunno if he can block or catch a pass. He's every bit as big as Bolus though, and Richard Murphy is graduating. 

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #69 on: December 18, 2015, 10:42:17 am

Yes, I hope so. He's a very good athlete. I think he'd make a good H back, though we dunno if he can block or catch a pass. He's every bit as big as Bolus though, and Richard Murphy is graduating.

The idea of a back that can run a sweep with a pass/run option is tantalizing to me.

If we find a way to work Johnson into the offense as an H-back or as a second halfback in a two-back set, defenses will have a difficult time planning for him. We made it easy on them this year by subbing him in and out... really telegraphing what we were going to do.
DUCK FAVIDSON

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #70 on: December 18, 2015, 12:21:56 pm
If all 5 of those QB's are here when camp starts I'll be surprised

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #71 on: December 18, 2015, 12:28:01 pm

Wouldn't be the worst thing either. The fewer scholarships we have being used on non-FBS quality players the better. I would put my money on Barden. I don't know if it would happen but Lee and Matt could likely graduate now, and could probably be solid contributors on FCS squads as grad students.

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #72 on: December 18, 2015, 12:36:18 pm

Wouldn't be the worst thing either. The fewer scholarships we have being used on non-FBS quality players the better. I would put my money on Barden. I don't know if it would happen but Lee and Matt could likely graduate now, and could probably be solid contributors on FCS squads as grad students.

There is a reason big boy college football allows for 80 some scholly's grab and sign as much talent as possible and see what sticks when they actually get on the field.

Before this past season I would have thought having 3 QB's on the roster would have been fine, the returning starter, the backup and the future, unfortunatly they all had huge flaws and we should have had 1 or 2 more on the roster. Injuries alone can take a few guys a year.  I hope we stock pile them in the future to avoid the mess we had this year.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

cltniners

Reply #73 on: December 18, 2015, 02:37:15 pm
Observer article.

That quote about 4 starters is shameful.  David must of been studying cold fronts and El Nino with his cohort.

clt says El NiŮo is Spanish for "the Nino"

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 03:45:12 pm
So, I get that he was highly recruited in HS, but I have no idea how JUCO stats stack up. Are his stats really that good?

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos