Author Topic: Commit Alert: 2017 QB Nick Tronti  (Read 24502 times)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 03:20:39 pm
clt asks when does he sign? this spring?
I think February is when the signing period is for football. Might be January though.

Signing Day is February 1st.  There is an early signing period for those enrolling in the spring and that is December 14 - January 15.
Yep, that one is primarily for JUCO's, but some HS kids are able to do that.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 03:16:28 pm
Won FL 5A  player of the year today.

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 06:58:14 pm
Won FL 5A  player of the year today.

Feeling really good about this kid.  Will feel even better once he signs.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 04:20:04 pm
Am I the only jack@ss that thinks the way this kid has blown up that our chances to keep him are slim?  I just can't see how he doesn't back out of his commitment to sign at a school in a bigger conference after how he closed out his season.

Gotta be getting some P5 interest at this point don't cha think?
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 04:26:31 pm
Am I the only jack@ss that thinks the way this kid has blown up that our chances to keep him are slim?  I just can't see how he doesn't back out of his commitment to sign at a school in a bigger conference after how he closed out his season.

I don't know about Tronti, but his HS HC and QB Coach are certainly trying to get other schools to look at him.

cltniners

Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 04:38:46 pm

I don't know about Tronti, but his HS HC and QB Coach are certainly trying to get other schools to look at him.

clt thinks this is the best spot for him. We obviously do well with dual threat qb.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 04:51:44 pm

clt thinks this is the best spot for him. We obviously do well with dual threat qb.

I've got nothing against Olsen, but the fact that Klugh (dual threat) thrived while Olsen struggled in our system says a bunch about how well it would be suited to a player like Tronti. Mullen definitely prefers a dual threat QB.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 05:13:44 pm

Even though I know how sausages and hot dogs are made, I'll still eat them occasionally. But knowing what goes into and comes out of college athletics recruiting makes me sick, and I may soon make a conscious effort to avoid any knowledge of this sometimes very slimy process.  >:(
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 05:20:11 pm

Even though I know how sausages and hot dogs are made, I'll still eat them occasionally. But knowing what goes into and comes out of college athletics recruiting makes me sick, and I may soon make a conscious effort to avoid any knowledge of this sometimes very slimy process.  >:(

What's slimy about this?

Yeah, it sucks if a commit goes elsewhere... but if you accept a job offer but get a higher-paying position at a more established firm before you start... do you turn it down?

It sucks to be in this position, but this isn't exclusive to college sports. These guys are trying to get roster spots at the best schools that they can to prepare them for post-college life, whether that's the NFL or the professional world. If a better offer comes along, who are we to judge?
DUCK FAVIDSON

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 06:39:29 pm

What's slimy about this?

Yeah, it sucks if a commit goes elsewhere... but if you accept a job offer but get a higher-paying position at a more established firm before you start... do you turn it down?

It sucks to be in this position, but this isn't exclusive to college sports. These guys are trying to get roster spots at the best schools that they can to prepare them for post-college life, whether that's the NFL or the professional world. If a better offer comes along, who are we to judge?

I'm referring to kids that verbally commit and back out. You and others may think that's ok but I think it's not. Slimy is what comes to mind. Dishonest. Unethical. Any of those words fit in my opinion.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 07:05:54 pm
It's ok for a kid to back out of an oral commitment, that's why there is a signing period.  It is not right for a coach to try to steer kids for their own selfish interests if that is what is going on.

Some kids commit because they think they may not get another offer, then they improve and have a monster year and can do better.  Nothing wrong with that.

If my kid committed to UNCA because that was the only school calling, then blew up and WFU or GT came calling, I'd pull her to the side and "You know, you might wanna rethink this".

I think people that don't see that are not being realistic or just being shameless homers.

[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 08:56:30 pm
It's ok for a kid to back out of an oral commitment, that's why there is a signing period.  It is not right for a coach to try to steer kids for their own selfish interests if that is what is going on.

Some kids commit because they think they may not get another offer, then they improve and have a monster year and can do better.  Nothing wrong with that.

If my kid committed to UNCA because that was the only school calling, then blew up and WFU or GT came calling, I'd pull her to the side and "You know, you might wanna rethink this".

I think people that don't see that are not being realistic or just being shameless homers.

Then I'm a shameless, ethical homer. Proudly. People who mislead people are NOT realistic and are shameless frauds.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 09:36:07 pm
49er1 = real life of the party

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 09:39:38 pm
My only issue is the public peddling the coaches are doing for Tronti.

https://twitter.com/CoachAaronAvery/with_replies
https://twitter.com/FrankGaris/with_replies

Niner2395

• Walk On
Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 10:27:18 pm
I hope Nick sticks with us.  He would fit in great with us and could help propel Charlotte to greatness. If we lose him to a major P5 school, you cant blame him for it, but i really hope he is set in his decison and doesnt get swayed by his coaches because we need him.

akjones989

• Walk On
Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 10:47:41 pm

The kid is good. Most schools already have their prospects locked down. Why would he go ride the pine at a bigger school? Sure, maybe he could work his way into a starting role. I don't see a Florida or Tennessee not having an established QB coming in.

cltniners

Reply #41 on: December 16, 2016, 06:31:07 am

clt says that is embarrassing for the coaches.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 07:11:06 am
Some of you guys glasses have a bit too much of a green hue. 

Our goal is to one day be out of CUSA, and into one of these better leagues. Ride your moral high horses about college recruiting into the sunset, but at that point (if it ever comes) you all will be thankful these verbal commitments are not binding, as we are gonna need to get some kids like this. 

With that said, hope he sticks with us, especially seeing the offers he has.  I don't see any of it as a particularly better opportunity than what we are offering.  He could come here and be the undisputed starter for at least 3 years if he plays well.  Would be huge for the program.  (Let's not crown him a Heisman candidate if he sticks though IE: Brooks Barden)
#bus1

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #43 on: December 16, 2016, 08:47:10 am

Our goal is to one day be out of CUSA, and into one of these better leagues. Ride your moral high horses about college recruiting into the sunset, but at that point (if it ever comes) you all will be thankful these verbal commitments are not binding, as we are gonna need to get some kids like this. 

With that said, hope he sticks with us, especially seeing the offers he has.  I don't see any of it as a particularly better opportunity than what we are offering.  He could come here and be the undisputed starter for at least 3 years if he plays well.  Would be huge for the program.  (Let's not crown him a Heisman candidate if he sticks though IE: Brooks Barden)
I know kids will commit and decommit in Football, that's the nature of the beast. I've never seen a staff publicly peddle a kid to other schools after he's committed. Do that s*** behind out of the public eye.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #44 on: December 16, 2016, 09:18:13 am

I know kids will commit and decommit in Football, that's the nature of the beast. I've never seen a staff publicly peddle a kid to other schools after he's committed. Do that s*** behind out of the public eye.

Doing that stuff on twitter speaks volumes, it almost seems desperate on their end.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #45 on: December 16, 2016, 09:27:23 am
I've never seen a staff publicly peddle a kid to other schools after he's committed. Do that s*** behind out of the public eye.

I'm in agreement with you but I'm afraid what we are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.  It seems to be more acceptable to do this crap publicly than it used to be.  Until we get a larger stadium, start going to bowl games, get into a better league, etc, this may start happening more frequently. 

Stealing recruits is the nature of college sports.  I remember the "good ole days" when we stole some recruits from lesser programs in basketball while at the same time having a few stolen from us.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:31:04 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #46 on: December 16, 2016, 09:30:47 am
the kid has not indicated that he's decimating has he?

"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #47 on: December 16, 2016, 09:48:19 am
the kid has not indicated that he's decimating has he?
nah, but his coaches are actively trying to push him elsewhere it appears.

Kudos to him if he ignores them.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #48 on: December 16, 2016, 09:58:15 am
“Charlotte just felt right,” Tronti said. “I feel they are on the up and up. The Panthers’ owner (Jerry Richardson) is behind them. … The coaching staff was pretty successful. I feel we’ll get to win some games soon and obviously, I hope to play early.”
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

chidave

• Junior
Reply #49 on: December 16, 2016, 10:00:47 am
I think he's a prefect fit for our system, and we may be set at QB for a long time with him here. It's better to have a QB that several programs are trying to flip than one that none are  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:02:44 am by chidave »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos