Author Topic: Commit Alert: 2017 QB Nick Tronti  (Read 24501 times)

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #50 on: December 16, 2016, 11:59:19 am
Some of you guys glasses have a bit too much of a green hue. 

Our goal is to one day be out of CUSA, and into one of these better leagues. Ride your moral high horses about college recruiting into the sunset, but at that point (if it ever comes) you all will be thankful these verbal commitments are not binding, as we are gonna need to get some kids like this. 

With that said, hope he sticks with us, especially seeing the offers he has.  I don't see any of it as a particularly better opportunity than what we are offering.  He could come here and be the undisputed starter for at least 3 years if he plays well.  Would be huge for the program.  (Let's not crown him a Heisman candidate if he sticks though IE: Brooks Barden)
I know kids will commit and decommit in Football, that's the nature of the beast. I've never seen a staff publicly peddle a kid to other schools after he's committed. Do that s*** behind out of the public eye.

I don't disagree.   "I sent a quarterback to Auburn."  vs. "I sent a quarterback to Charlotte."  One of those statements looks better than the other on a high school coach's resume.  Not saying that's the way it should be.  It's the way it is.  While I have seen coaches tout kid's offers before, I will say I haven't really seen them tout a kid that's already verbally committed to one place, while touting the offers of another place. 
#bus1

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #51 on: December 16, 2016, 12:20:38 pm
the kid has not indicated that he's decimating has he?
nah, but his coaches are actively trying to push him elsewhere it appears.

Kudos to him if he ignores them.

Yeah, I wouldn't recruit any of their players again.  They come off looking like pimps on twitter.
The Things I Would Always Like To See From 49ers Mens Basketball:

1. Good young men with good character.

2. Actually be taught good fundamental defense.

9ballNiner

• Walk On
Reply #52 on: December 16, 2016, 12:22:17 pm
Some of you guys glasses have a bit too much of a green hue. 

Our goal is to one day be out of CUSA, and into one of these better leagues. Ride your moral high horses about college recruiting into the sunset, but at that point (if it ever comes) you all will be thankful these verbal commitments are not binding, as we are gonna need to get some kids like this. 

With that said, hope he sticks with us, especially seeing the offers he has.  I don't see any of it as a particularly better opportunity than what we are offering.  He could come here and be the undisputed starter for at least 3 years if he plays well.  Would be huge for the program.  (Let's not crown him a Heisman candidate if he sticks though IE: Brooks Barden)
I know kids will commit and decommit in Football, that's the nature of the beast. I've never seen a staff publicly peddle a kid to other schools after he's committed. Do that s*** behind out of the public eye.

I don't disagree.   "I sent a quarterback to Auburn."  vs. "I sent a quarterback to Charlotte."  One of those statements looks better than the other on a high school coach's resume.  Not saying that's the way it should be.  It's the way it is.  While I have seen coaches tout kid's offers before, I will say I haven't really seen them tout a kid that's already verbally committed to one place, while touting the offers of another place.

Today, the word 'verbal commitment' really means verbal reservation.  The school or the player can rescind at any time.  Although I'm not sure what circumstances must exist for the school to rescind.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #53 on: December 16, 2016, 12:54:30 pm
Today, the word 'verbal commitment' really means verbal reservation.  The school or the player can rescind at any time.  Although I'm not sure what circumstances must exist for the school to rescind.
It's just theatre for the fans. Verbal commitment means little beyond the recruit saying they want to reserve a spot and the school wants to hold them a spot. Either can back out at any time with no rules. The school only has a little more public penalty if other recruits become wary of a place that seems to be backing out on guys at the last minute, can hurt the trust in the coaches (particularly for those recruits where responsible parents are watching the process more closely). But lately, news like that is quickly forgotten and it doesn't seem to matter one bit (witness the SEC oversigning that went on for so long, had zero effect on their ability to sign the best recruits).

You know what would be really interesting? Just treat the scholarship like a job offer without restrictions on when it can be signed and allow schools to offer whenever they want. My guess is that it would help with parity, as late bloomers and players worried about spots would tend to go to lower profile schools probably, but it would also mean that some schools would be stuck with guys that fail to develop.

cltniners

Reply #54 on: December 16, 2016, 01:03:34 pm
clt is verbally committing support to tronti.

NinerNirvana

• Sophomore
Reply #55 on: December 16, 2016, 08:15:12 pm

In reply to JWF

Coach Aaron Avery@CoachAaronAvery[/size] [/url] 2h[size=1px !important]2 hours ago[/size][/color]
[/color]@2011niner@Charlotte49erFB our job is to get him every offer in the country. Nick loves Charlotte and remains a strong commitment to them.

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #56 on: December 16, 2016, 09:35:37 pm
Hard to believe that line of thinking. Would ask him if he signed with Florida or FSU would his answer be the same.

In all probability kid has silently signed off on it.
If he was a solid commitment then he would probably shut down the process (and the recruiting process is a crazy grind). Most kids are glad it is over and settled.  Looks like a situation of I have signed but you do what you need to and we will go from there.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:37:18 pm by TheShowDawg »
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #57 on: December 17, 2016, 04:16:44 pm
Hard to believe that line of thinking. Would ask him if he signed with Florida or FSU would his answer be the same.

In all probability kid has silently signed off on it.
If he was a solid commitment then he would probably shut down the process (and the recruiting process is a crazy grind). Most kids are glad it is over and settled.  Looks like a situation of I have signed but you do what you need to and we will go from there.
Florida or FSU would punish the coach for doing that, but we can't.
#unc-CHeatingPays

chidave

• Junior
Reply #58 on: December 17, 2016, 04:25:51 pm
We have the sane number of scholarships to offer as they do. That's why its bad form to do that publicly. He could cost one of his kids a scholarship in the future if college coaches don't trust him.

cltniners

Reply #59 on: December 17, 2016, 08:17:38 pm
We have the sane number of scholarships to offer as they do. That's why its bad form to do that publicly. He could cost one of his kids a scholarship in the future if college coaches don't trust him.

clt agrees.

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #60 on: December 18, 2016, 09:17:08 pm

In reply to JWF

Coach Aaron Avery@CoachAaronAvery 2h[size=1px !important]2 hours ago[/size]
@2011niner@Charlotte49erFB our job is to get him every offer in the country. Nick loves Charlotte and remains a strong commitment to them.

Yeah, this may be your job prior to him committing.  Openly begging other schools to offer him after he has committed is EXTREMELY disrespectful to our coaches and program.  It is basically asking other schools to try to come in and turn him.  I would seriously consider not recruiting their players going forward, because these coaches are showing that they will smile in our coaches faces, and then stab them in the back.
The Things I Would Always Like To See From 49ers Mens Basketball:

1. Good young men with good character.

2. Actually be taught good fundamental defense.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #61 on: December 19, 2016, 11:25:58 am
Let's please try not to anger people that are very close to a kid we are trying to keep committed. 

You might not like their actions, but they are looking out for the kid first and foremost.  We can say their actions are selfish, but I'm sure they do not mean it that way.  We are looking out for our University first and foremost. 

The chips are gonna fall where they may.  Your tweets will not affect this kid's commitment one way or the other. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:06:14 pm by ImfromClayton »
#bus1

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #62 on: December 21, 2016, 01:36:28 pm

Ponte Vedra’s Nick Tronti became just the sixth area athlete to earn the state’s most prestigious high school football award when he was named Mr. Football on Wednesday afternoon.

It was a sterling finish for Tronti, who becomes just the second athlete from St. Johns County to capture the top honor, joining Nease’s Tim Tebow (2005).

http://jacksonville.com/sports/2016-12-20/ponte-vedra-s-nick-tronti-earns-mr-football-award

cltniners

Reply #63 on: December 21, 2016, 03:16:49 pm

Ponte Vedra’s Nick Tronti became just the sixth area athlete to earn the state’s most prestigious high school football award when he was named Mr. Football on Wednesday afternoon.

It was a sterling finish for Tronti, who becomes just the second athlete from St. Johns County to capture the top honor, joining Nease’s Tim Tebow (2005).

http://jacksonville.com/sports/2016-12-20/ponte-vedra-s-nick-tronti-earns-mr-football-award

clt just forwarded this to Saban & Mayer.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #64 on: December 21, 2016, 09:42:27 pm

If this kid stays committed to us, it will be a miracle now.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

akjones989

• Walk On
Reply #65 on: December 21, 2016, 10:25:41 pm

If this kid stays committed to us, it will be a miracle now.

Or, he'll go to a program that has already had an elite QB commit to them, ride the pine, and then transfer out. Sometimes a sure thing is a better option.

cltniners

Reply #66 on: December 21, 2016, 11:16:51 pm
clt bets he is a 49er

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #67 on: January 05, 2017, 10:21:10 pm
Tronti offered by Indiana

His coach proceeded to tweet it 3 times and continues to pimp this kid publicly on twitter (@USF new OC). I'd have no problem with him doing this privately but doing it publicly is disrespectful to our school IMO.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 11:04:51 pm
I did find out he comes from a family of D1 athletes.  Was told the family knows the drill.  Of course doesn't mean he won't flip, but family won't be shocked and easily woo'd as perhaps others would be.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:46:19 am by NinerWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

jfickett

Reply #69 on: January 06, 2017, 06:05:17 am
Guys. I need you all to prepare for the fact that he is not coming here. Virtually 0% chance. Just......prepare for it. The decomittment is coming any day now.  Don't let it shock you. Just close the thread and move on with your life when it happens.

cltniners

Reply #70 on: January 06, 2017, 06:30:08 am
Tronti offered by Indiana

His coach proceeded to tweet it 3 times and continues to pimp this kid publicly on twitter (@USF new OC). I'd have no problem with him doing this privately but doing it publicly is disrespectful to our school IMO.

clt says the HS coaches don't seem very savvy.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #71 on: January 06, 2017, 08:45:54 am
Tronti has committed to UNC Charlotte, but he said he expects to visit Hawaii and either Tulane or Florida Atlantic, in addition to Charlotte during the last three weekends in January before signing day.

“I’m pretty firm with Charlotte,” he said. “They’ve been there from the beginning.”

http://sjcpreps.com/news/936/all-county-football-nick-tronti-is-the-record%E2%80%99s-2016-offensive-player-of-the-year/

chidave

• Junior
Reply #72 on: January 06, 2017, 08:59:23 am
Smart kid too, if I was going to take a recruiting trip and was firm to Charlotte, Hawaii and Boca Raton wouldn't be bad places to escape from the blizzard of '17.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #73 on: January 06, 2017, 09:04:38 am
Guys. I need you all to prepare for the fact that he is not coming here. Virtually 0% chance. Just......prepare for it. The decomittment is coming any day now.  Don't let it shock you. Just close the thread and move on with your life when it happens.

Cool story bro

jfickett

Reply #74 on: January 06, 2017, 09:05:11 am
"Pretty firm"

So firm, in fact, that he's shopping around still. So firm, he's letting his coaches still pimp him on Twitter.  So firm, he's going to be a spokesman for the local Mattress Firm store.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos