Author Topic: G5 Discussing Starting Own Playoff  (Read 4746 times)

chidave

• Junior
Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 06:08:24 pm

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

NinerFutbol

• Walk On
Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 03:46:15 pm
I do not see the P5 giving up ANY of their monopoly status or diluting it with G5 programs - It is ALL about the $$$.  Perhaps after every P5 program has gold-plated toliet seats and locker and weight rooms from marble and brass, they may consider a G5 if it would make their payday easier.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 03:55:45 pm
I do not see the P5 giving up ANY of their monopoly status or diluting it with G5 programs - It is ALL about the $$$.  Perhaps after every P5 program has gold-plated toliet seats and locker and weight rooms from marble and brass, they may consider a G5 if it would make their payday easier.

The legal ramifications of not providing a certain level of access I think will force their hand to keep a path open for G5 conferences.
Mahna Mahna

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 04:50:46 pm
Have a G5 Playoff, & call it "The REAL National Playoff" just out of spite.   :))
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 07:27:44 pm
Southern Miss beatwriter Pat Magee offers his 2 cents on the G5's place in an expanded CFP.

Sunherald.com: UCFís win is more proof: Group of 5 schools should demand more of the CFP

chidave

• Junior
Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 07:58:49 pm
Auburn was 2-2 against teams in the playoffs, and was on the verge of making it themselves. UCF stood toe to toe with them and came out on top. They made a strong statement for acess today as Auburn is a legit playoff caliber team.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 08:13:23 pm
Maybe we can hope that the exclusion of two of the P5 conference this year will motivate expansion to 8.

However. I doubt that the powers that be will guarantee a spot for the top G5 team.

The expansion to 8 would occur to meet the interest of the P5 conferences which would all miraculously have at least one team in the top 8 rankings each year.

The current model takes the top 4 teams into the playoff so I would assume they keep that model and the G5 would continue to be shut out. Even and undefeated UCF would not have made the top 8 and there is no reason to think the rankings would be any different if their were 8 spots. Those valuable playoff spots would be coveted by the P5 teams and thatís who will get them.

You can make a case that expansion to 8 and the continued failure of the G5 to access even that expanded playoff would actually widen the gap at least from the perspective of the general public.

ďThey arenít even good enough to make an 8 team playoff.  How good can they actually be???

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 08:27:27 pm
This commercial is such BS.  Everyone doesn't have a shot and where are the non P5 mascots.

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 02:04:44 pm
This commercial is such BS.  Everyone doesn't have a shot and where are the non P5 mascots.

Everybody that counts can make it. Now, don't you feel better?

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 04:08:33 pm
I'm not in favor of an 8 team playoff simply because I think they will just slot 1 G5 team and then give them the worst possible matchup. Kind of like how the committee does Wichita State every year. I also think it waters things down. I already think we have too many bowl games and half don't mean anything anymore.

I would be interested in a G5 playoff however.

Big time sports media will always promote what they think will make them the most money. So, that's either talk about the biggest names, or talk about the teams that play on their network. They are also constantly promoting the idea that players should get paid because they bring in so much money for schools, when most schools actually lose money on sports. Don't get me wrong, I do see a valid argument on why Alabama, etc. should pay their players but that ignores the reality of most programs. Which brings me back to my first point, they are not going to recognize that because it doesn't fit a narrative which will bring in money and ratings.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:10:16 pm by Ben H »

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 07:59:47 pm
Football NIT

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 10:12:46 am
We'd struggle to make a 14 team CUSA playoff

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 10:40:02 am
We'd struggle to make a 14 team CUSA playoff

Judy would brag about us going to post season if we were in a CUSA 14 team playoff.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 11:21:15 am
I'm surprised Judy hasn't embraced CBI/CIT in B-Ball or WBI in WBB yet.

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 11:48:56 am

We havenít been good enough to make those tournaments  :(

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 12:40:07 pm
Didn't Oregon St buy in their way with a losing record one time?

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 12:43:35 pm
Frost will change his tune once he settles in at Lincoln- His AD will make sure of that.

PS: Here's all you need to know from the current 'Godfather' of college football-"..Alabama coach Nick Saban has been saying for a while he prefers the Power Five play only itself."
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:48:45 pm by UnclePugsly »

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 12:57:17 pm

We havenít been good enough to make those tournaments  :(

clt says karen is keeping the program low to keep pace with the men.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #45 on: January 03, 2018, 01:14:59 pm
clt says people want to watch the "P5" play other teams.

UCF-Auburn Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Posts Highest-Rated Non-CFP Semifinal Peach Bowl of New Yearís Six Era The Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl between UCF and Auburn (12:30 p.m.) earned a 5.1 overnight, the highest-rated non-CFP Semifinal Peach Bowl in the New Yearís Six Era. The game was up 28% from the 2015 season game and 55% from the 2014 season game.  The 2016 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl was a CFP Semifinal.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #46 on: January 03, 2018, 01:17:38 pm
Didn't Oregon St buy in their way with a losing record one time?

The CBI and CIT pay tournys - you have to buy your way in no matter your record.  I am kinda of surprised we haven't played in them just so Judy could claim post season.
Mahna Mahna

blindref73

• Walk On
Reply #47 on: January 03, 2018, 02:50:10 pm
The CBI and CIT pay tournys - you have to buy your way in no matter your record.  I am kinda of surprised we haven't played in them just so Judy could claim post season.

Can't afford to do that when SHE's spending all of OUR money on employees that don't work here anymore.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #48 on: January 09, 2018, 09:41:46 pm
Marshall beatwriter Doug Smock chimes in.

WVGazettemail.com: G-5 won't escape Mickey Mouse treatment

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos