Author Topic: clt says ezu and appy to play in the big city  (Read 3783 times)

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:50:28 pm

Maybe due to high ticket demand we have to play unc-tweetsie at BofA in '19.😜
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:29:45 pm
I don't know how this topic is not exploding on this board. This is completely sickening. We let the only two group of 5 schools in our state schedule a series in our back yard before we could.  What recruit on planet earth if recruited by all three of us would pick us over them if they attend this game? Disgusting. So tired of watching our peers do things like this while we sit on our hands. Donating money to this current 49er AD is asinine. You might as well light it on fire.
#bus1

cltniners

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 07:02:58 am
I don't know how this topic is not exploding on this board. This is completely sickening. We let the only two group of 5 schools in our state schedule a series in our back yard before we could.  What recruit on planet earth if recruited by all three of us would pick us over them if they attend this game? Disgusting. So tired of watching our peers do things like this while we sit on our hands. Donating money to this current 49er AD is asinine. You might as well light it on fire.

clt says we have women's bball to market, football can wait until sept

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 09:03:18 am

clt says we have women's bball to market, football can wait until sept
Clt thinks we will market in Sept? Clt must have forgotten last Sept already.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 09:10:32 am

You do realize we are playing Chapel Hill, Maryland, and Duke on-campus right? Hate taking up for Judy but this one aspect she hasn't "sat on her hands" with.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:29:11 am
I think this is a failure on our part, ECU is a marquee in-state opponent and we should have been able to secure at minimum a 2-1-1 with them. We were on the verge of being in the same conference with them. I don't have any inside sources but I would imagine our stadium size is a big reason this did not happen.

Overall I like our schedule but there is a glaring hole where ECU should be, and I would love it if we can get the App series extended. Proximity breeds rivalries in college sports and the more we can play those two schools the better.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 09:40:02 am

You do realize we are playing Chapel Hill, Maryland, and Duke on-campus right? Hate taking up for Judy but this one aspect she hasn't "sat on her hands" with.
We have a contract to play Chapel Hill here. If we are good by then ( a very big "if"), I'd be surprised if they did anything other than pay us to cancel that contract. If they are confident of a big win, of course, they will happily make the recruiting trip.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 10:24:13 am
We have no control over BofA stadium so we can't stop any team from playing there. Doesn't App have to pay rent to use the stadium? This could be a money losing endeavor. Last time ECU played South Carolina at BofA the game didn't draw well and the tickets were expensive. I doubt ECU fans will be very excited about traveling to see them play App. App may have more fans show up than ECU but their fan base isn't gigantic. This game won't be played until 2021 so who knows where our program will be at that time or where their programs will be.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 10:25:56 am

We have a contract to play Chapel Hill here. If we are good by then ( a very big "if"), I'd be surprised if they did anything other than pay us to cancel that contract. If they are confident of a big win, of course, they will happily make the recruiting trip.

Yes nothing is static in college football, we could all be dead before any of this happens. So would you rather have a four game series with ECU (2A-1N-1H) or play a B10 team H-H and ACC team H-H?

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 11:41:25 am
At first I was upset, but upon further consideration, not so much. We need to make smart decisions. Right now we can't even fill up the Rich. Attendance is pretty low, and we need to focus on that first. I am not for having a major game in BOA stadium and losing money. We will play in BOA at some point, hopefully, when our program and attendance are better.

This could really apply to both this topic and the SEC topic, but here is our attendance compared to the rest of CUSA, and some other programs -
    ECU    44,133       
1    Southern Miss    28,588       
    Appalachian St    26,153       
2    Marshall    24,760       
3    UTSA    23,038       
4    UTEP    23,001       
5    Rice    21,425       
6    LA Tech    20,412       
7    ODU    20,118       
8    North Texas    19,882       
9    WKU    18,454       
10    MTSU    17,243       
11    FIU    16,789       
12    Charlotte    14,192       
13    Florida Atlantic    10,073       

I think that winning and going to a bowl game would really see a jump in our attendance, could be wrong, but I am optimistic. We need to bring this up to be a viable option for BOA or any other conference. Bringing in good OOC competition will also help.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 12:49:21 pm

Yes nothing is static in college football, we could all be dead before any of this happens. So would you rather have a four game series with ECU (2A-1N-1H) or play a B10 team H-H and ACC team H-H?
I've no opinion. I suppose I'd like us to do all that (and do it before we all die).

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 12:51:34 pm
At first I was upset, but upon further consideration, not so much. We need to make smart decisions. Right now we can't even fill up the Rich. Attendance is pretty low, and we need to focus on that first. I am not for having a major game in BOA stadium and losing money. We will play in BOA at some point, hopefully, when our program and attendance are better.

This could really apply to both this topic and the SEC topic, but here is our attendance compared to the rest of CUSA, and some other programs -
    ECU    44,133       
    Appalachian St    26,153       
2    Marshall    24,760       
3    UTSA    23,038       
4    UTEP    23,001       
5    Rice    21,425       
6    LA Tech    20,412       
7    ODU    20,118       
9    WKU    18,454       
10    MTSU    17,243       
11    FIU    16,789       

I think that winning and going to a bowl game would really see a jump in our attendance, could be wrong, but I am optimistic. We need to bring this up to be a viable option for BOA or any other conference. Bringing in good OOC competition will also help.

I bet FAU jumps us in attendance next year.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 12:59:24 pm

ECU    44,133       
    Appalachian St    26,153       
2    Marshall    24,760       
3    UTSA    23,038       
4    UTEP    23,001       
5    Rice    21,425       
6    LA Tech    20,412       
7    ODU    20,118       
9    WKU    18,454       
10    MTSU    17,243       
11    FIU    16,789       

Even if we sold out every game to max allowed 16,630, we would still be in the same spot on that list.  That is a problem.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 01:23:49 pm
We have no control over BofA stadium so we can't stop any team from playing there. Doesn't App have to pay rent to use the stadium? This could be a money losing endeavor. Last time ECU played South Carolina at BofA the game didn't draw well and the tickets were expensive. I doubt ECU fans will be very excited about traveling to see them play App. App may have more fans show up than ECU but their fan base isn't gigantic. This game won't be played until 2021 so who knows where our program will be at that time or where their programs will be.

I would bet a jug of Boone hooch that App's Coach Satterfield will not be there in 2021.  I think there is probably a bigger chance that App is hoping to make it to a bowl that year, than planning their conference championship celebration, just because rolling the dice and hiring a good coach on their budget is really difficult.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 02:55:18 pm
Even if we sold out every game to max allowed 16,630, we would still be in the same spot on that list.  That is a problem.

I know lots of you are on the "expand the Rich" now bus, but one word of caution. I am with you, we need the stadium to be bigger. But if we expand before we can put butts in seats we will be losing money and it will look bad. Let's win, market better, and bump attendance. Expand revenues, and then expand the Rich!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 03:18:16 pm
I would love to hear judy's opinion about this game.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 11:34:23 pm

The way things are going. I would be shocked if 1 or 2 of those games get bought out and never happen.

I used to be against us playin at BOA but no longer. I could get behind it for App or ECU. I think we would all be shocked by the attendance. We need something to get those 100k alumni off the couch. A big game against and in state peer school would make for a big event and a great weekend in Charlotte for opposing fans and long distance alumni alike. I just don't think we understand how playing another in state school would drive demand. I also think we would get better total attendance for App or ECU than we would for duke or wake. Maybe not state or Cheat but it wouldn't be night and day. App and ECU have a lot of fans. And our alumni bases know each other well and there is a lot of crossover. It could be bigger than we think.

cltniners

Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 06:32:50 am
clt has inside info. B of a will be selling moonshine for the appy fans and four loko for the EZU fans.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 08:28:30 am

I would bet a jug of Boone hooch that App's Coach Satterfield will not be there in 2021.  I think there is probably a bigger chance that App is hoping to make it to a bowl that year, than planning their conference championship celebration, just because rolling the dice and hiring a good coach on their budget is really difficult.

I'll be surprised if he is there after next year. I've been told his daughter is graduating high school and if he's making a jump that will be the time.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:34 am

I'll be surprised if he is there after next year. I've been told his daughter is graduating high school and if he's making a jump that will be the time.

App should rack up a lot of wins next season. Outside of UGA and maybe Wake their schedule is cupcake city. The don't play the "better" Sunbelt programs. Satterfield on paper will look good for a lot teams seeking a coach.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-appalachian-state-mountaineers-football-schedule.php

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 10:39:12 am
I used to be against us playin at BOA but no longer. I could get behind it for App or ECU. I think we would all be shocked by the attendance. We need something to get those 100k alumni off the couch. A big game against and in state peer school would make for a big event and a great weekend in Charlotte for opposing fans and long distance alumni alike. I just don't think we understand how playing another in state school would drive demand. I also think we would get better total attendance for App or ECU than we would for duke or wake. Maybe not state or Cheat but it wouldn't be night and day. App and ECU have a lot of fans. And our alumni bases know each other well and there is a lot of crossover. It could be bigger than we think.

I agree with you, broadly speaking, but disagree specifically. Overall, I think you are spot on. Playing local teams would drive up attendance. How much? Not sure, but I think that playing App and ECU regularly would drive up tickets much more than playing FAU or UTSA or whatever. To be honest, playing Elon brings as many people, if not more, than playing most CUSA teams.

At this point, I think we would lose money playing at BOA. We are getting like 13,000 people a game. Remember that even ECU, with 44,000 attendance average, has had trouble selling enough tickets at BOA - and yes, I get that we are the local team - but we are so far behind in interest/tickets that I think this negates that. But, I guess we will never know whether this is true or not unless we try. So right now, I wouldn't be deadset against it.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 02:36:01 pm

Erik Spanberg ‏@CBJspanberg 
Game in CLT for @ECUAthletics vs @AppState_FB will be Sept. 4, 2021. Teams will also play in Greenville (2024/2026) & Boone (2025)

chidave

• Junior
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 02:40:12 pm
That's smart to play the first one at BoA.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos