Author Topic: 1977 Team  (Read 3773 times)

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:54:53 pm
Is there going to be a game this year to honor the '77 team?

Those of us who were alive then remember how great they were. They beat the Michigan team that lost to IU in the '76 Championship. The undefeated IU team.

If someone knows, post a reply and keep bumping it. 

DrJ708

• Walk On
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:59:08 am

Those of us who were alive then remember how great they were. They beat the Michigan team that lost to IU in the '76 Championship. The undefeated IU team.

They lost to Marquette not to IU and it was in the final 4.

cltniners

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:08:19 am
clt says we will honour the 77 WBB team.

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 07:52:08 am

They lost to Marquette not to IU and it was in the final 4.

They were referring to Charlotte beating Michigan in the regional final and that Michigan had played the undefeated Indiana team in 1976 in the national title game.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 08:16:36 am

Someone dropped the ball with this.  Should have been a big deal made with the 40th Anniversary.

Knowing how our leaders here do things, If it happened before Phil Dubois was here, it didn't really happen and must be destroyed.

FridayNiner

• Walk On
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 08:30:38 am
A video of that last 3 seconds...
We would have played the Tarheels for the national championship, and probably would have won, Marquette beat them handily.

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 09:53:55 am
I've heard they were trying to get the old team back together, but there were some issues getting them all back together. I don't know what they mean by that but it just sounds like excuses to me. 
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:58:03 am
I've heard they were trying to get the old team back together, but there were some issues getting them all back together. I don't know what they mean by that but it just sounds like excuses to me.
Excuses for laziness and not going the extra mile? It has been 40 years so you won't get every player. Some just don't care, but at least honor the ones who are willing to come. It's our biggest moment in program history and the fact that we haven't and aren't going to honor them is kinda surprising and sad.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 10:54:11 am
We're going to honor the 16-17 women's team at halftime of the men's final home game on Senior Day. Perfect.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 11:00:54 am
We're going to honor the 16-17 women's team at halftime of the men's final home game on Senior Day. Perfect.
Is that just a joke? I really hope it is.....

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 11:03:50 am

If you were on the final 4 team why would you come back and get this stink on you?
Mahna Mahna

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 04:17:15 pm
No joke. The women are going to forfeit their road game that night to appear in Halton.  ::)

FridayNiner

• Walk On
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 04:37:29 pm
Excuses for laziness and not going the extra mile? It has been 40 years so you won't get every player. Some just don't care, but at least honor the ones who are willing to come. It's our biggest moment in program history and the fact that we haven't and aren't going to honor them is kinda surprising and sad.

Chad Kinch passed away in the late 90's...

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 04:43:33 pm

Chad Kinch passed away in the late 90's...

Kevin King comes to most games. Massey is in poor health. Watkins is an assistant somewhere(?). Maxwell is who knows where. etc etc

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 05:00:18 pm
lew died in 2014
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 05:53:59 pm
lew died in 2014

So I guess a reunion/recognition after all these years would be more sad than celebratory.  :'(

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 07:46:50 pm
Maxwell is on the Celtics' broadcast team and used to be on WFNZ regularly in the off season. Watkins would be the hard one to have attend. He was an assistant at Missouri.

If he can't make it due to a coaching conflict, that's not the worst thing in the world. I went to a Phillies' game in 1990 where they honored the '80 World Championship team. They announced Pete Rose was unavailable. The crowd was split between boos, cheers, and laughter. He was in Federal Prison.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 08:31:56 pm
No joke. The women are going to forfeit their road game that night to appear in Halton.  ::)
I really need to get more sleep during the week lol

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 10:29:49 am
“Maybe it’s like somebody playing golf and they hit a hole-in-one,” Rose said. “They cherish that moment, but then they never have another hole-in-one.”

[/size]Judy always the sales person for the program.  Nothing says believe in us like the AD saying well maybe we just got lucky and it won't ever happen again.  #thanksjudy

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article134839844.html#storylink=cpy
Mahna Mahna

scollie41

• MemberPF
  • Junior
  • 49er Club Member & FSL Owner
Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 11:13:01 am
“Maybe it’s like somebody playing golf and they hit a hole-in-one,” Rose said. “They cherish that moment, but then they never have another hole-in-one.”

Judy always the sales person for the program.  Nothing says believe in us like the AD saying well maybe we just got lucky and it won't ever happen again.  #thanksjudy

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article134839844.html#storylink=cpy

Not her quote. That was Lee Rose they were quoting.

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 11:16:33 am

Judy always the sales person for the program.  Nothing says believe in us like the AD saying well maybe we just got lucky and it won't ever happen again.  #thanksjudy

I swear people use any and all occasions to take a shot at her.  Correctly or incorrectly.  Never let the facts...

[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 11:24:23 am

Fair enough - still sounds like something she would say though.  Her sales pitches are right in line with that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:27:26 am by WBNiner »
Mahna Mahna

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos