Author Topic: CUSA TV Negotiations to Begin in Spring  (Read 3724 times)

chidave

• Junior
on: February 27, 2017, 09:46:39 pm
http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/college/mtsu/2017/02/27/conference-usa-begin-tv-deal-talks-spring/98483024/

I'm not very optimistic but negotiations for our next TV deal are about to get underway.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:48:32 pm
They need to push exposure as much as possible. At a minimum at CUSA TV app for devices and we need to leverage ESPN3 as much as possible.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:39 pm
Conference USA also launched its own in-house network, C-USA TV, last year. Member schools are responsible for producing games and subscription revenue goes right back to the schools."We've had a few hiccups," MacLeod said of the in-house production so far. "The growing pains continue but we're still making some strides.
"Some of our schools are getting a lot better but we still have more to do quite frankly. We'll get better."
That's an extreme understatement. CUSA.tv should hire Campus Insiders to run the thing and start selling advertisements to offset some of the production costs.

cltniners

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:34 am
clt says spring is already here.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:33:45 am
Not sure what is on the table...

I will say that I have enjoyed having some CUSA games on ASN. We get that in the triangle.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:41 am
I cannot reconcile any of the hand wringing and whining with the fact that I frequently see other leagues games televised on ESPN networks. We have already whored our schedule out for travel purposes, and we are not being paid squat; do whatever it takes to get on ESPN and at least make our games part of their college basketball narrative. CUSA doesn't exist as far as ESPN is concerned.

I'd play HOOPS any night of the week they wanted. Plain and simple.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:58:24 am by NinerAdvocate »

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:59:26 am
CUSA.tv absolutely needs an app and if schools are going to be in charge of their own production there has to be standards. You can't just have your radio guy talking over a crappy stream. you have to have an on screen score and clock. There are no excuses for this.

For once, we weren't the embarrassment of the conference though. Charlotte Athletics did a pretty good job of having a professional production with a high quality stream. Thank the Lord we did something well!
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:02:07 am
I agree with NA. The basketball scheduling has been an unmitigated disaster. The are Thursday/Saturday popular game nights for the P5 leagues making TV spots slim and the lack of interest in attending 2 games in 3 days as a fan hurts the environment. The lone unexpected bright spot has been the production quality of Campus Insiders game. I'm rooting for that outfit, they've done a great job.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:07:04 am
I would whore out basketball and football games to whoever would broadcast them. Play any night of the week. TV at all is better than cusa.tv.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:24:58 am
That's tough, I don't know if ESPN (which basically means ESPN3 on Saturdays) is worth it to me to play a home game football game on Tuesday or Wednesday unless there's significant compensation. What we have now is awful but those 6:00 kick-offs are nice on Saturdays.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:54 am
Wanna kill our football program, start playing games on Tuesday and Wednesday night.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 11:01:19 am
I would not whore our football out. No. Just hoops.

Football - we have to decide if we want to be noon fodder for any chance at ESPN. Even then their inventory is deep. Still competing with low end P5 games, which they have dozens of (see 75% of B1G and Big 12 games).

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 12:07:16 pm
How many people watch CUSA football games with how they are currently boradcast? 50K?

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 12:35:30 pm
I'd rather prioritize in person attendance. Nothing that would get in the way of that. If that is all clear, then pursue TV.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 07:30:21 am
How many people watch CUSA football games with how they are currently boradcast? 50K?
depends on the channel. Some of the beIN games had 1000 or less. Our game against Marshall had 40,000 though I believe. At the time it aired, it was far and away the most watched beIN broadcast for cusa. Not sure how games after that performed.

ESPN games draw hundreds of thousands.

CBS sports games are tens of thousands.

ASN varies wildly by who is playing, but some games get decent numbers.

At this point I'd prefer to go all in with ESPN and at least ensure everything is on espn3.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 07:31:12 am
I'd rather prioritize in person attendance. Nothing that would get in the way of that. If that is all clear, then pursue TV.
I wouldn't because that doesn't help me watch away games.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 08:18:29 am
That's tough, I don't know if ESPN (which basically means ESPN3 on Saturdays) is worth it to me to play a home game football game on Tuesday or Wednesday unless there's significant compensation. What we have now is awful but those 6:00 kick-offs are nice on Saturdays.

How do you feel about playing a nationally televised AWAY GAME on a Tuesday or Wednesday night?  I am in favor of that concept.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:20:19 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

chidave

• Junior
Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 10:34:40 pm
I'd be cool with one away game, but once those mid week games start they can turn into this http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=There-will-be-0-MAC-games-on-Saturdays-in-November-in-2017

No MAC games on Saturday the entire month of November.

chidave

• Junior
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:30:03 pm by chidave »

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

cltniners

Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 04:59:51 pm
clt says just go full stream with ONE partner

NinerAdvocate

Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 07:05:22 am
From a former ESPN employee and Marshall alum..

While this story is being reported everywhere, it isn't exactly accurate.......

ASN isn't going off the air and it isn't disappearing, in fact, look for it to add up to 10 million homes rather quickly and add an OTT app.....

Sinclair is NOT putting it out of business or selling it, it is however about to take in a partner to manage the network.....I've been a consultant to ASN for two years and the management team has been the singular problem in the network being successful.....the operations will move, management team wil be gone and replaced by a new team that will be chosen by the managing partner, but Sinclair will still be the major or at least a major player in the Network.....this should be seen as a solid opportunity for the rights owners that currently have contracts with ASN....... while this may not be the best solution for ASN, it is a giant step in the right direction.

This and other articles are premature and mostly inaccurate (but have some facts correct)...... no deal is as yet final, but one should be finalized soon

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 09:02:10 am

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 09:09:42 am
Somewhat off topic: MW considers cutting the TV cord
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-azhoops-20170310-story.html
A reasonably well produced internet steam is just as good as TV to me. Better when you take into account the scheduling that the MW points out, and the end to the disappointment that comes with negotiating TV contracts.
#unc-CHeatingPays

cltniners

Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 09:57:10 am
Somewhat off topic: MW considers cutting the TV cord
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-azhoops-20170310-story.html
A reasonably well produced internet steam is just as good as TV to me. Better when you take into account the scheduling that the MW points out, and the end to the disappointment that comes with negotiating TV contracts.

clt says we should get ahead of the curve as well. Quality and consistent 4K stream.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos