Author Topic: Adkins promoted to OC  (Read 3395 times)

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 04:17:11 pm

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 07:15:22 pm
One thing I didn't consider, I don't think there is anyone else on staff with QB coaching experience. Let's keep that in mind.

I've always said we needed a quarterback coach, but just aren't confident in Mullens to do this job.  I don't expect to see advancement in Klugh's footwork, reads, and anticipation, because I don't believe Mullens is a capable teacher of these things.

Mullen has actually always been our QB coach since he was hired. Our QBs seem to get worse so this isn't going to be a huge change.

Our scheme is still going to be a 6 play RPO spread. Nothing will change until the offseason when a new scheme (hopefully pro style, triple option, or air raid) can be installed. I hate run heavy RPO spread offenses like what we and Auburn run.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 07:27:43 pm
One thing I didn't consider, I don't think there is anyone else on staff with QB coaching experience. Let's keep that in mind.

I've always said we needed a quarterback coach, but just aren't confident in Mullens to do this job.  I don't expect to see advancement in Klugh's footwork, reads, and anticipation, because I don't believe Mullens is a capable teacher of these things.

Mullen has actually always been our QB coach since he was hired. Our QBs seem to get worse so this isn't going to be a huge change.

Our scheme is still going to be a 6 play RPO spread. Nothing will change until the offseason when a new scheme (hopefully pro style, triple option, or air raid) can be installed. I hate run heavy RPO spread offenses like what we and Auburn run.

clt says thanks Brad!

Niner Cum Laude

• Walk On
Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 10:23:24 pm
The move is kind of expected if you listened to the post game when Lambert kept repeating something to the effect of "we are not putting the players in positions to succeed and maybe we are asking too much out of Klugh".  He made a move and we will see if this new guy calling the plays can make thing simpler for the offense. 

Don't know how this demotion to QB coach and no longer being the play caller is going to work for Mullens.  You got a disgruntle employee still hanging around... I don't see this ending well.  Should of just pulled the band-aid off and fire the guy.

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 08:19:29 am
Not sure how to make the play calling simpler when the number of different plays we run are so small.  We might as well line up like Army and run the ball 95% of the time in the I formation.  3.5 yards per carry average should keep us marching.  At least it will allow the defense to rest or shortens the game so the opponent doesn't have a chance to run up the score on us.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 08:30:30 am

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:51 am
At least they made a move to try and change. I wanted heads to roll and people to get fired, but this shows at least they are trying.
Hopefully it works out for the best we have nothing to lose.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 10:20:10 am
Not sure how to make the play calling simpler when the number of different plays we run are so small.  We might as well line up like Army and run the ball 95% of the time in the I formation.  3.5 yards per carry average should keep us marching.  At least it will allow the defense to rest or shortens the game so the opponent doesn't have a chance to run up the score on us.

I would be more than okay with this.
DUCK FAVIDSON

NinerAdvocate

Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 11:01:11 am

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 11:02:08 am
Personally I have no interest in running the triple option.

LzeroKI

• Walk On
Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:29 am

Funny you bring that up. Joe Thompson (he's still on the roster, right?) ran a slightly modernized version of this offense (the Wing-T) as a qb in high school.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 11:51:49 am
This change will make absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in our suckiness. To be cliché, we're rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. EVERYBODY needs to GO after this s*** storm of a season is over.  >:D
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 11:59:50 am
This change will make absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in our suckiness. To be cliché, we're rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. EVERYBODY needs to GO after this s*** storm of a season is over.  >:D

I think the coaching move was their way of saying "we hear you".  There is not much you can do mid-season, and this probably will not help, but it has been effective in sending a message.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Crusader

• Freshman
Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 12:54:16 pm

Maybe Jack Lengyel could teach Charlotte the veer?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8riYEo9NOjs

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos