Author Topic: Football student support  (Read 2155 times)

footballnow

• Walk On
on: October 16, 2017, 01:43:34 pm
As an Alum who was looking forward to football here for decades, it is very disappointing to go to these games and see such a poor student showing. Except for the first game, alumni and visitors seem to make up the majority of attendance. It is a great stadium and atmosphere which gives you an opportunity to share in the football experience. Also, I  think these games are free to students? I encourage you to give it a try, it could be fun.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:15:19 pm
I understand your concern, and this something that many of us have been frustrated with in the past. That being said, it's hard to expect people to support a program that doesn't win. We are 2-13 at home over the last 3 seasons, with no wins against FBS opponents. There are too many other options on Saturdays in the fall to spend the day watching bad, sometimes incredibly bad, football. Losing sucks. The students owe nothing to the program. Their student fees run our AD, and they are receiving little to no return on that investment. A good team, that can beat quality opponents, will draw a crowd.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:11:46 pm
As an Alum who was looking forward to football here for decades, it is very disappointing to go to these games and see such a poor student showing. Except for the first game, alumni and visitors seem to make up the majority of attendance. It is a great stadium and atmosphere which gives you an opportunity to share in the football experience. Also, I  think these games are free to students? I encourage you to give it a try, it could be fun.

Alumni, visitors/general public SHOULD make up the majority of fans at any college game.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:27:44 pm

Alumni, visitors/general public SHOULD make up the majority of fans at any college game.

This is true for both football and basketball.  The exception is maybe for basketball at small time schools located in the middle of nowhere, especially midweek games. 

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

chargrad2008

• Walk On
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:48 pm
Honestly, I don't blame them for not showing at this point.  I used to be fuming to see them walk the opposite way from the stadium around kickoff time (probably to continue to keep tailgating) but now I understand why.  A quality, watchable product is not being put out there right now.  Mike is right.  The students don't owe the program anything.

We are still working the kinks out as far a stadium is concerned. Mostly, the sound/PA situation, music being played during game action, etc.

At least we are getting national publicity from the viral tailgating videos from the past few weeks!

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:00:34 pm
Honestly, I don't blame them for not showing at this point.  I used to be fuming to see them walk the opposite way from the stadium around kickoff time (probably to continue to keep tailgating) but now I understand why.  A quality, watchable product is not being put out there right now.  Mike is right.  The students don't owe the program anything.

We are still working the kinks out as far a stadium is concerned. Mostly, the sound/PA situation, music being played during game action, etc.

At least we are getting national publicity from the viral tailgating videos from the past few weeks!

It bugs me that the PA system has been an issue since Day 1, and remains a disaster. Iíve commented on it in surveys. Plenty others complain. No action.

tasheets

• Walk On
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 04:16:51 pm
Another Judy blunder. WE SHOULD NOT BE TELEVISING home games. They should only be on tv when the game is sold out. If I were a student I would rather sit in my dorm, watch the game and drink a beer or two.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 05:25:34 pm
I know everybody on here would have loved to have had football as a student.

But good on the students for not having blind loyalty.

The AD does have to earn their attendance. Many of us go to basketball despite the years of terrible results. Unfortunately we enable the AD.  Look at ECU. Have 2000 people in a 60000 seat stadium a couple weekend and the fire gets hotter under a great many people.
#bus1

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:20 am

It bugs me that the PA system has been an issue since Day 1, and remains a disaster. Iíve commented on it in surveys. Plenty others complain. No action.

It's always going to be an issue until they put equal volume/quality speakers on the far end of the stadium.

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:59 am
comic

f***ing

sans
DUCK FAVIDSON

GreenWhite13

• Walk On
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 11:46:51 am
There are plenty of students: 29,000+ & plenty who are going to tailgates .. but, like mentioned, there's no interest in the game. A lot of universities have "tailgate only" students, but, they have programs good enough to overcome that. A decent record/home record would bring out enough of the students for us. First home game, everyone had hopes.

clt12thman

• Walk On
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 12:05:22 pm
I think the interest could be there and we could have a really good and loud/vocal student fanbase at both the football and basketball games. I've personally wanted to try to get a diehard group of students fans together (Think Oakland's Black Hole Section) and make the atmosphere during games at Richardson Stadium less like a golf gallery and more like a football game, but it's impossible to start something like that or generate student interest when we're getting beaten every game and there's a great tailgate right next door.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 12:08:11 pm
I think the interest could be there and we could have a really good and loud/vocal student fanbase at both the football and basketball games. I've personally wanted to try to get a diehard group of students fans together (Think Oakland's Black Hole Section) and make the atmosphere during games at Richardson Stadium less like a golf gallery and more like a football game, but it's impossible to start something like that or generate student interest when we're getting beaten every game and there's a great tailgate right next door.

We had that for a while.  One of the best student sections in the nation.  Our teams just haven't been any good lately, and the AD quit doing the incentives that were working to get students out to games.  I guess they couldn't see the long term benefits of what they were doing and stopped.  Another reason why I want a change in the AD.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

clt12thman

• Walk On
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 12:17:15 pm

We had that for a while.  One of the best student sections in the nation.  Our teams just haven't been any good lately, and the AD quit doing the incentives that were working to get students out to games.  I guess they couldn't see the long term benefits of what they were doing and stopped.  Another reason why I want a change in the AD.

I've got three more years here so I hope something happens. It was so odd being at a college game with no loud student section. They honestly should try to foster that atmosphere though, a section could make the place really intimidating to play in because of the stadium's size and the proximity of the fans to the field.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 06:29:51 pm

I've got three more years here so I hope something happens. It was so odd being at a college game with no loud student section. They honestly should try to foster that atmosphere though, a section could make the place really intimidating to play in because of the stadium's size and the proximity of the fans to the field.

clt agrees.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 06:48:53 pm
Winning does and will solve everything. Just wish we'd win so this could be proven here. There is lots of "solution" at places like klempzen, bama, et al.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.Ē
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 09:33:22 pm
Winning does and will solve everything. Just wish we'd win so this could be proven here. There is lots of "solution" at places like klempzen, bama, et al.
Winning won't solve everything here. It still won't garner the local coverage we deserve. See MBB during our run.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 09:44:24 pm
Winning won't solve everything here. It still won't garner the local coverage we deserve. See MBB during our run.

Yeah even that. I'd love to see it. But if we were winning I wouldn't give a s*** what the o said or didn't. Maybe I should say winning would solve everything for me, because for some even winning wouldn't be enough. For those, happiness probably isn't attainable anyway.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.Ē
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 09:52:48 pm

Yeah even that. I'd love to see it. But if we were winning I wouldn't give a s*** what the o said or didn't. Maybe I should say winning would solve everything for me, because for some even winning wouldn't be enough. For those, happiness probably isn't attainable anyway.

I am with you.  Winning is enough for me.
#unc-CHeatingPays

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 10:21:09 pm

That's an understatement.  If we win, I want the same thing other winning teams get.  Good coverage from the local paper.  I never understood why someone in the AD did not try to alleviate that problem. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 10:40:49 pm
Ignore the Observer. They have no validity as a real local paper (at least from the sports coverage perspective).  I was asking these same questions in the late 80s and nothing has changed and nothing will ever change.  They are not worthy of your attention, consternation or frustration.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 11:47:51 pm
For the record, Iím in the just win crowd.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 10:19:35 pm
0.500 record and you would have a full stadium all the time.   Who knows what would happen if the team put back-to-back home wins together!?  Could be crazy.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 10:22:12 pm
0.500 record and you would have a full stadium all the time.   Who knows what would happen if the team put back-to-back home wins together!?  Could be crazy.

Lol...no

NinerNurse

• Walk On
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 10:34:49 pm

Lol...no

He has a point.. Winning fixes things. Once we start hosting App State, Duke, UNC, etc. students will show up if we have a good product on the field. Itís not like we have a 70k capacity stadium. Just put a decent product on the field and the seats will be filled

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos