Author Topic: Calling it now!  (Read 2706 times)

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
on: October 31, 2017, 10:47:06 pm
Going dancing in NCAA Tournament this year or next! 
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:44:35 am
Both !

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:25:10 am
Based on?

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:40:43 am
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:04:10 am
Based on?

Just a gut feeling about the core and balance of this squad.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:31:39 am
Based on?

Just a gut feeling about the core and balance of this squad.

Too many unknowns inside to make the call this early. I see us improving, maybe NIT but the NCAAs are a stretch for me.

Good and bad news is we will finally have another player in the NBA after this year.

s9er

• Head Coach

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 11:00:32 am
That's the double edge sword.  I hope we win 30 games and Jon averages 30 per game, but if that happens, he's gone for sure. 
#bus1

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 12:16:17 pm
That's the double edge sword.  I hope we win 30 games and Jon averages 30 per game, but if that happens, he's gone for sure.

I'd love to be able to wish him luck in the draft after an NCAA tournament game.  Sign me up.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 02:24:35 pm

I'd love to be able to wish him luck in the draft after an NCAA tournament game.  Sign me up.
same. 

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 05:24:25 pm
Mods should rename this thread to "Big Dreams".  We are so far away from the NCAA at this point.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 05:40:44 pm
clt says our recruiting is odd. First fb class was best.

Price had his best class in year one.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 07:43:57 pm
Mods should rename this thread to "Big Dreams".  We are so far away from the NCAA at this point.
.    Not really. Previous years results have nothing to do with this year. We may not make it this season but we have just as good a chance as anyone not in  p5 league.

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 08:19:33 pm
.    Not really. Previous years results have nothing to do with this year. We may not make it this season but we have just as good a chance as anyone not in  p5 league.
I hear you and I love the optimism.  I hope we do it, but the odds are not in our favor.  Consider this. 

1) We have only finished with a record above .500 in conference play 2 times out of the last 10 seasons and 0 times in the last 7.
2) Conference USA has been a one bid league since we joined and I don't see that changing.
3) Conference USA top half is a pretty dang good group of teams.  La. Tech has been a 20 win team since we joined, but MT has really been good as well.  Rice rolled us twice last year by 17 and 19 points.  I could go on.  So the expectation here is that we get so much better and/or they get so much worse that we surpass them.
4) Conference tourney is such a wildcard.  Not only do you have to be pretty good (20+ wins) to get in that 1st bye, but you need to be playing your best ball and have a little luck to win it all.
5) Transfers in college basketball add another wildcard from season to season.  How many of these freshmen will be here in year two?  Davis could see that there is nothing left to play for in college after this year and give it a go at the pros.  That would be good, but is ambitious as well.

Like I said, I hope you guys are right, but I still think that you are dreaming big.  Price better be bringing in good talent each year to compete with the top of CUSA.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:21:10 pm by Dowless »

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 09:15:05 pm
I saw this thread last night but didn't want to lead off with negativity. I was thinking the OP was being sarcastic but then someone said, not NCAA but maybe NIT... are you all on happy pills? Are y'all saying you "hope" or that there's an actual good chance of it actually happening?

Let's see if we can get our RPI out of the 200s first before we talk about an RPI in the range of 60.

We definitely aren't winning the conference regular season so NIT isn't possible. Do conference regular season winners still make NIT if lose conference tournament?Winning the conference tourney is our only hope of any post season. Possible? Sure. Likely, hell no.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 10:02:42 pm
We are going to win the whole tournament.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 10:06:59 pm
I hear you and I love the optimism.  I hope we do it, but the odds are not in our favor.  Consider this. 

1) We have only finished with a record above .500 in conference play 2 times out of the last 10 seasons and 0 times in the last 7.
2) Conference USA has been a one bid league since we joined and I don't see that changing.
3) Conference USA top half is a pretty dang good group of teams.  La. Tech has been a 20 win team since we joined, but MT has really been good as well.  Rice rolled us twice last year by 17 and 19 points.  I could go on.  So the expectation here is that we get so much better and/or they get so much worse that we surpass them.
4) Conference tourney is such a wildcard.  Not only do you have to be pretty good (20+ wins) to get in that 1st bye, but you need to be playing your best ball and have a little luck to win it all.
5) Transfers in college basketball add another wildcard from season to season.  How many of these freshmen will be here in year two?  Davis could see that there is nothing left to play for in college after this year and give it a go at the pros.  That would be good, but is ambitious as well.

Like I said, I hope you guys are right, but I still think that you are dreaming big.  Price better be bringing in good talent each year to compete with the top of CUSA.
.   So the league is really good, but has almost no chance for 2 bids?          Also, as I said before, what we have done recently has zero to do with this team. We had a stretch of 9 NCAA bids in 12 years......since then, 12 years with no bids. Things can and do change, regardless of recent trends. This team will be BY FAR Price's most balanced. I am confident, barring major injuries, that we will be in post season play of some sort, beyond the CUSA tourney.                          It seems like some posters think RPI rankings actually carry over from season to season. We don't have to "get out of the 200s" because everyone starts the season equal in the RPI. You win enough against quality opponents and you can have a solid RPI.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:16:37 pm by 919R »

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 12:31:55 am
^ id be curious to see stats of big jumps year over year. Our schedule is so weak we would need 26+ wins for an at large bid.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 07:19:09 am
Man Jon could have a big year.  Teams will get punished far worse for doubling him this year.  I'm not sold on NCAA yet, especially given this conference, but this could be a very good team.  It makes me want to go to the conference tourney for the first time in years.

We just don't have the depth in the post. Any significant injury there, and we are screwed. 
#bus1

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 07:33:44 am

.   So the league is really good, but has almost no chance for 2 bids?          Also, as I said before, what we have done recently has zero to do with this team. We had a stretch of 9 NCAA bids in 12 years......since then, 12 years with no bids. Things can and do change, regardless of recent trends. This team will be BY FAR Price's most balanced. I am confident, barring major injuries, that we will be in post season play of some sort, beyond the CUSA tourney.                          It seems like some posters think RPI rankings actually carry over from season to season. We don't have to "get out of the 200s" because everyone starts the season equal in the RPI. You win enough against quality opponents and you can have a solid RPI.

Unless you have been hiding under a rock, you should know how the NCAA treats CUSA and other non-P5 leagues.  If you were hiding under a rock let me introduce you to the 2015-2016 UAB squad that was 16-2 in conference and 26-6 overall and the 2014-2015 La. Tech squad that was 15-3 in conference and 25-8 overall.  Both NIT teams after they lost in the conference tournament.  Is it impossible for us to go to the NCAA in two years? No, but it is going to be tough for me to reach that conclusion coming off a 13 win season in a good, albeit disrespected league.

rt1923

• Walk On
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 08:28:56 am
I would like to see marked improvement on the defensive end of the floor now that we have Haslem, allowing Garvin to play in a more natural position. Maybe we can get some blocks and more hard fought rebounds, limiting second chance opportunities.  We have the firepower spread around the floor to be competitive with anyone in C-USA, just need to be hard-nosed on defense every night.

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 09:07:43 am
I would like to see marked improvement on the defensive end of the floor now that we have Haslem, allowing Garvin to play in a more natural position. Maybe we can get some blocks and more hard fought rebounds, limiting second chance opportunities.  We have the firepower spread around the floor to be competitive with anyone in C-USA, just need to be hard-nosed on defense every night.

Absolutely.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 09:41:20 am
If you cannot enjoy some irrational optimism this time of the year then you are missing out on one of the best things about college sports.  Post-season play would be great, and I will be there (wherever there is) to see it, but my goal is to finish top 3 in the conference.  That is when I will know Price is the real deal.
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:54 am
If you cannot enjoy some irrational optimism this time of the year then you are missing out on one of the best things about college sports.  Post-season play would be great, and I will be there (wherever there is) to see it, but my goal is to finish top 3 in the conference.  That is when I will know Price is the real deal.

Irrational optimism is fun and certainly part of sports, but as Niner's currently living through our longest NCAA drought - it's understandable that people can't quite get there mentally.  Heavy is the weight of the past on the dreams of the future.
Mahna Mahna

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:01 am
I saw this thread last night but didn't want to lead off with negativity. I was thinking the OP was being sarcastic but then someone said, not NCAA but maybe NIT... are you all on happy pills? Are y'all saying you "hope" or that there's an actual good chance of it actually happening?

Let's see if we can get our RPI out of the 200s first before we talk about an RPI in the range of 60.

We definitely aren't winning the conference regular season so NIT isn't possible. Do conference regular season winners still make NIT if lose conference tournament?Winning the conference tourney is our only hope of any post season. Possible? Sure. Likely, hell no.

You're overreacting a bit to a statement where it was said the only way we possibly make the NITs is if we have solid post play. That's a big if too.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos