Author Topic: Conference Realignment  (Read 224648 times)

cltniners

• Athletic Director
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

Ben H

• Senior
Reply #1826 on: April 12, 2017, 02:37:24 pm
Wow, that's really funny.

Of course, that also blocks us from filling the void since we are a public school.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:44:51 pm by Ben H »
Ben H

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #1827 on: April 12, 2017, 04:56:35 pm

Of course, that also blocks us from filling the void since we are a public school.

LOL.  You are trying to be funny, aren't you?  Sadly, I think our chances are slim to none of filling that particular void anytime soon. 

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:58:46 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #1828 on: April 12, 2017, 05:13:48 pm

LOL.  You are trying to be funny, aren't you?  Sadly, I think our chances are slim to none of filling that particular void anytime soon.

"Things women have said to you in a bar" for $200, Alex.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #1829 on: April 12, 2017, 08:36:36 pm
So Harry's story has kicked off more ridiculous what if games, most of which are completely without merit and therefore unlikely.

I'll humor the topic with one at least somewhat credible proposal, though I dislike it:

An administrative merger could also work. The administrative functions of a conference could be consolidated. The 26 schools of CUSA and Sun Belt merge their operations while remaining two independent conferences. One commissioner negotiating one media contract. One staff sending out the numerous weekly releases. Consolidated operations can help the conferences in negotiating championship events. For example the league office might negotiate an agreement with New Orleans to host the Sun Belt basketball championship in 2018 and CUSA in 2019 and with Birmingham to host CUSA in 2018 and Sun Belt in 2019. Leveraging two conferences can improve bowl ties and be used to create flexible scheduling or have the conferences back each other up on existing contracts.
 An administrative merger can also be used for scheduling purposes. NCAA rules require a conference to either play a double round robin in basketball or play 14 games. Neither CUSA nor Sun Belt plays a double round robin, both have chosen to play 18 games. In basketball each conference could play a 14 game schedule to comply with NCAA rules while playing at least four games against regional teams of the other conference to fill out the schedule. North Texas would play 12 divisional games, two CUSA crossover say Marshall and ODU, then play AState, UALR, Texas State and UTA in the remaining games. AState would play 10 divisional games, and either 4, 5, or 6 Sun Belt crossover games and either 2, 3, or 4 CUSA teams depending on how the schedule adjusts to account for the difference in the number of teams.
 In football teams are required to play a round robin within their division whether it is a 5 team division like Sun Belt or 7 team division like CUSA. CUSA teams are only required to play 6 conference games and Sun Belt only four but both conferences elect to play 8 games. If they wanted to CUSA schools could play completely within their division and then replace one or both crossover games against regional Sun Belt schools to comply with the scheduling rules. For example UTSA might play everyone in CUSA West, Louisiana and Texas State, their placing in the CUSA standings would be based on divisional play alone. Meanwhile Louisiana might end up playing four divisional games, two CUSA opponents like UTSA and La. Tech and then cross over in Sun Belt play to face USA and Coastal. Their spot in the standings might be based on just divisional play or divisional play plus the two Sun Belt crossover games.

Now, I have one other idea that I haven't suggested because it will be ridiculed...

What if... CUSA tried to partner with one of the P5 conference networks? They already have the infrastructure, and they lack content.

I had an idle thought once last season that a partnership with the Big10 network makes insanely good sense for the MAC... I'm not sure if the Big10 has enough reason to do it, but the geographic overlaps make lots of business sense...

Ok, flame away...
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #1830 on: April 12, 2017, 08:58:15 pm
So Harry's story has kicked off more ridiculous what if games, most of which are completely without merit and therefore unlikely.

I'll humor the topic with one at least somewhat credible proposal, though I dislike it:

An administrative merger could also work. The administrative functions of a conference could be consolidated. The 26 schools of CUSA and Sun Belt merge their operations while remaining two independent conferences. One commissioner negotiating one media contract. One staff sending out the numerous weekly releases. Consolidated operations can help the conferences in negotiating championship events. For example the league office might negotiate an agreement with New Orleans to host the Sun Belt basketball championship in 2018 and CUSA in 2019 and with Birmingham to host CUSA in 2018 and Sun Belt in 2019. Leveraging two conferences can improve bowl ties and be used to create flexible scheduling or have the conferences back each other up on existing contracts.
 An administrative merger can also be used for scheduling purposes. NCAA rules require a conference to either play a double round robin in basketball or play 14 games. Neither CUSA nor Sun Belt plays a double round robin, both have chosen to play 18 games. In basketball each conference could play a 14 game schedule to comply with NCAA rules while playing at least four games against regional teams of the other conference to fill out the schedule. North Texas would play 12 divisional games, two CUSA crossover say Marshall and ODU, then play AState, UALR, Texas State and UTA in the remaining games. AState would play 10 divisional games, and either 4, 5, or 6 Sun Belt crossover games and either 2, 3, or 4 CUSA teams depending on how the schedule adjusts to account for the difference in the number of teams.
 In football teams are required to play a round robin within their division whether it is a 5 team division like Sun Belt or 7 team division like CUSA. CUSA teams are only required to play 6 conference games and Sun Belt only four but both conferences elect to play 8 games. If they wanted to CUSA schools could play completely within their division and then replace one or both crossover games against regional Sun Belt schools to comply with the scheduling rules. For example UTSA might play everyone in CUSA West, Louisiana and Texas State, their placing in the CUSA standings would be based on divisional play alone. Meanwhile Louisiana might end up playing four divisional games, two CUSA opponents like UTSA and La. Tech and then cross over in Sun Belt play to face USA and Coastal. Their spot in the standings might be based on just divisional play or divisional play plus the two Sun Belt crossover games.

Now, I have one other idea that I haven't suggested because it will be ridiculed...

What if... CUSA tried to partner with one of the P5 conference networks? They already have the infrastructure, and they lack content.

I had an idle thought once last season that a partnership with the Big10 network makes insanely good sense for the MAC... I'm not sure if the Big10 has enough reason to do it, but the geographic overlaps make lots of business sense...

Ok, flame away...

I once thought of a scenario involving the commissioner selling the CUSA tv rights to the longhorn network as a way for the longhorns to force more tv companies to pick the channel. It wasn't an idea I was particularly fond of.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

cltniners

• Athletic Director
Reply #1831 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:53 am
clt asks what happened to our sec push?
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #1832 on: April 13, 2017, 08:35:54 am
clt asks what happened to our sec push?
It is taking place behind closed doors.  It may be a little while longer before any announcement is made.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #1833 on: April 20, 2017, 09:23:20 pm
Savannah State has announced that they will reclassify to D-II after joining D-I ranks in 2002. Spent 8 years as an independent prior to joining the MEAC in 2010.

Meanwhile, D-II California Baptist has accepted an invitation to join the WAC and will formally apply for D-I membership next year. The 9,000+ student private school in Riverside will open a new 5,200 seat basketball arena this year.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:35:36 pm by Run49er »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos