Author Topic: Wake Forest Post Game  (Read 12508 times)

gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
    • http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com
on: November 29, 2007, 09:12:54 pm
VICTORY!!!

:49ers: :49ers: :49ers: :49ers:

"We did a market survey of how people know us, and we got everything. There was UNCC, UNC, NC Charlotte (and) just plain North Carolina. We were all over the board, and it was like, nobody knows who the heck we are....We hate the UNC on it." - Charlotte AD Judy Rose

shagg49er

• Junior
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 09:20:29 pm
I can see the headline tomorrow on the front page of the Big O

NINERS AVOID UPSET BID BY DEACS!!!!

Heck yeah!! GO NINERS!!!

Anborn

• Senior
  • psychic spy, jedi master
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:23:52 pm
I didn't see it.  :(  Just looking at the box scores....

We were out rebounded by 15.  Was WF that much taller?  Or were we playing small a fair bit?

We had 10 steals (led by Harris with 4)!  Sure seems like alot.  Were we that good at the pressure man and playing in passing lanes... or were WFU guards lacking handles?

Blocked shots = 8 (led by 4 from Coley)...  I can't wait to see him play in person with all the athletic talk.  He must be nuts.

Glad to see we can win if/when Goldwire has an off night.  Wilderness is gonna be a STUD!!!  Impressions by those at the game?

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:23:54 pm
sorry about my continued prediction re lee.     something was wrong in my dream.
but 'all is well that ends well'    or so they say
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

dax

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:25:45 pm
coley had too high light reel dunks.

wake over all had a size advantage.

jcl49er

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:34:29 pm
Our athleticism compensated for the lack of size.  One of the better performances from a Niner team, I've seen in a while.  Win or lose, this team continues to play with an enormous amount of intensity and heart which makes it really hard to get down on them for their fallacies.  

Unfortunately, work kept me from attending but I did get to watch it on TV and the crowd was fantastic.  The commentators (Dave Telep was one), continuously commented on "Niner Nation" and how loud it was there.  Hopefully, that will carry over into the Davidson game.

Wake is a bit down this year but anytime you can beat a team from a power conference, it's a good thing.  Now we just need to take care of business on Wednesday or the thrill of this win will be short-lived.
Quote from: Emerson
What you do is so loud that I cannot hear what you say.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:36:37 pm
correct me if i'm wrong; but i believe we beat the hell out of the ACC recruits?
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:41:48 pm
Yeah and they were pissed about it, they looked like they were going to fight while shaking hands after the game.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:45:25 pm
ish smith with 4 pts (2-8) but 5 assists.
Jamie skeen with 8 pts (2-7).
It's a good thing the big O did that feature story on them, instead of say....Anjuan Wilderness (21 pts on 9 of 13 shooting and 6 rebounds).

cakewalk5

• Senior Captain
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 09:51:36 pm
But according to Wake Prep School's message board, "UNCC" played a dirty game using a bunch of thugs with a mean coach and the refs wouldn't give them a break.  Just check out their Scout Message Board.

Now who was the dirty team?  Saying our guys seemed to be reactionary to the Deacs' mess.

Gotta love a bunch of preppies whining over getting douched.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 09:52:08 pm
Quote from: Anborn;272261
I didn't see it.  :(  Just looking at the box scores....

We were out rebounded by 15.  Was WF that much taller?  Or were we playing small a fair bit?

We had 10 steals (led by Harris with 4)!  Sure seems like alot.  Were we that good at the pressure man and playing in passing lanes... or were WFU guards lacking handles?

Blocked shots = 8 (led by 4 from Coley)...  I can't wait to see him play in person with all the athletic talk.  He must be nuts.

Glad to see we can win if/when Goldwire has an off night.  Wilderness is gonna be a STUD!!!  Impressions by those at the game?

1.)  Wake was overall taller, James Johnson is pretty sick I'm not going to lie, quick, agile, and a good post game to go with decent enough perimeter skills.

2.)  We played the lanes and had good help defense from the bigs on the weak side which led to...

3.) Giving us many blocks.  The man guarding would make his man double clutch under the goal or alter his shot, and a help defender would be there for the block, though if we missed the block this did allow for Wake to get rebs.

4.) Finally, Goldwire...  he was clutch in the end but for most of the game I felt he tried to hard, namely b/c he let L.D. Williams get to him.  That guy is a punk and took numerous cheap shots at Lee and never was called on them.  Lee has to be better then that.  He's the best guy on the team thus putting a target on his back.  I do give him credit, he came up big when it mattered.

Overall, it was the same intensity as usual except with bigger and better payoffs, we got not one Coley dunk, but two, and his tip in off Ian's miss was probably more amazing then the dunks.  His steal on the inbounds was great, I'm wondering if that was coaching or he was noticing how fast they were inbounding and outletting the ball up the court.  I'm thinking it was him, b/c once again we lacked the ability to get back on D, minus Coley.

Dijuan did great, hit open shots, controlled the tempo, minimized TO's (or so it seemed haven't looked at the box score yet), and played great D on Ish.  Ish is fast on O, but seems like a liability on D.

Phil even got a T, and 4 fouls.  He played aggressive like we've wanted him too.  Even made some great passes.

Gaby gave good mins.

Mack was consistent at both ends.

Lastly, Wilderness was amazing.  He seemed like one of the few guys with the skills to physically do as he pleased.  If they matched someone smaller on him (Hale) he abused them, if the were bigger he went to the perimeter, hell, he even posted up Wake's McFarland and beat him with an inside move.  The guy played amazing.  He hit FT's and finished, another thing people had complained about him on here.

It was a subpar first half, but the second half they were a different team and it showed.  It was great and enjoyable.  The crowd was great and they need to keep that up.

Games like this give me hope, sadly I'm too realistic to expect this night in and night out, but it sure gives you something to look forward too...  and know, I like Bobby, but don't start up the extension talk again.:49ers:

dax

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 09:52:30 pm
Quote from: cakewalk5;272272
But according to Wake Prep School's message board, "UNCC" played a dirty game using a bunch of thugs with a mean coach and the refs wouldn't give them a break.  Just check out their Scout Message Board.

Now who was the dirty team?  Saying our guys seemed to be reactionary to the Deacs' mess.

go look at the foul counts and see who got the break with the calls.

http://www.charlotte.com/niners/story/384225.html

cakewalk5

• Senior Captain
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 09:53:36 pm
My favorite post by their fans, "UNCC is a horrible team.  We shouldn't lose to a team that lost to Monmouth."

Wow...what does that make Wake?  

:baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby::baby:

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 09:55:58 pm

For real...  L.D. Williams should have been punched in the mouth, what an asshole.  He got away with so much bull**** it was disgusting.  McFarland is too goofy for his own good and a train wreck.  I was impressed with Johnson though.  That guy is going to be damn good, especially when their recruits come next year.

Refs not making calls, I guess they turned their TV's off with a minute to go.  That minute alone was one of the biggest pieces of horse**** I've ever seen.  They tried to give Wake the game.  The clean swipe on Phil?  How does he make that call... HE WAS BEHIND HIM!!!  Anyother time that's called a foul just for coming from behind and reaching around someone like that.  Phil pulls the ball to one side and the guy wraps around from the other side...  It's called reaching in.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 09:59:55 pm
wake forest fans cant just say "maybe charlotte isnt that bad." instead its uncc is a bunch of thugs and there fans are fat and obnoxious and them us losing to monmouth is like them losing to us. get over yourselves. they have a deluted sense of graduer. they have been to the same number of final fours as us one and we went more recently. it amazes me that some fans just cant say good game.

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 10:00:03 pm

90% of those posters didn't go to Wake, and I am being conservative.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

cakewalk5

• Senior Captain
Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 10:05:32 pm
Quote from: ninerID;272278
90% of those posters didn't go to Wake, and I am being conservative.

Wake has Wal-Mart fans?!!!!

STOP THE INSANITY!!  Maybe not Wal-Mart fans since Wal-Mart fans seem to pull for a half-decent team...maybe Big Lots fans.

OK, new rule:  Wal-Mart fans apply to the Tarholes; Big Lots fans apply to the Deacs.

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 10:09:37 pm
I saw great defense! Defense.  Defense.   Defense.  and Wilderness is a bad man.

ninerball49

• Senior Captain
  • is that trips?
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 10:12:57 pm
I was VERY impressed with the attendance.  It was truly a great home court advantage...and there were definitely not nearly as many Wake fans as I thought there would be.

LD Williams liked my Charlotte hoodie in his face when he was walking to the locker room.

Dijuan.  GREAT game.  Didn't do highlight stuff..but he played a great solid effort.

Gaby had a SICK block...Coley had several nasty blocks and two excellent dunks.

Phil played aggressive.

Both teams were very physical...LD Williams and Teague were talking smack all game, and so was McFarland (you're terrible.)

I could say much much more, but Scottys poster said it all.

WAKE CANT SURVIVE THE WILDERNESS!

I was sitting right beside the 49ers edge of the court..he was getting treatment all night..looked like he had a calf strain..and he was limping the whole game...WOW.
we have football

clap clap clapclapclap

switchfoot

• Assistant Coach
Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 10:19:06 pm
One of the best games I have been to in a while. I was SOOOOO glad to see us attack the basket tonight. WONDERFUL JOB GUYS!

Goldniner

• Walk On
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 10:20:37 pm
JCL---missed you tonight.  Saw your parents as we were right in front of them. Kudos to the Ticket Department...they really took care of the long time season ticket holders.  A great night for Niner Nation!  The crowd was electric and the train was PACKED coming back to 485.

charlieniner

• Walk On
Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 10:21:30 pm
How sweet the win over Wake must be for Dijuan Harris.   He was overlooked coming out of high school in Charlotte
while coaches (including Bobby) drooled over Ish Smith from nearby Concord.    Then Dijuan earns a scholarship and OUTPLAYS Smith in
Bobcats Arena.     Dijuan had 10 pts, 5 assists and 4 steals with only 2 turnovers.    Smith finished with 4 pts, 5 assists and 4 turnovers.
    Anjuan was amazing, Phil was finally agressive, Coley had some great blocks and dunks, but without Dijuan Harris we don't win.
    Also, kudos to the syudents for NOT rushing the floor.

spartyniner

• Sophomore
Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 10:23:47 pm
I second the thought about students not rushing the floor.  Husband called and I couldn't even hear him, but I was glad to know that we "acted like we'd been there"

Great win- CANNOT WAIT for Wednesday night.:49ers:
Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment?
-The Program (1993)

cakewalk5

• Senior Captain
Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 10:28:24 pm
Quote from: charlieniner;272289
How sweet the win over Wake must be for Dijuan Harris.   He was overlooked coming out of high school in Charlotte
while coaches (including Bobby) drooled over Ish Smith from nearby Concord.    Then Dijuan earns a scholarship and OUTPLAYS Smith in
Bobcats Arena.     Dijuan had 10 pts, 5 assists and 4 steals with only 2 turnovers.    Smith finished with 4 pts, 5 assists and 4 turnovers.
    Anjuan was amazing, Phil was finally agressive, Coley had some great blocks and dunks, but without Dijuan Harris we don't win.
    Also, kudos to the syudents for NOT rushing the floor.

This team is promising to win without Leemire being a factor for most of the game.  Dijuan, Mack, Coley, and Wilderness are going to be good at the end of the season...we've seen them take lumps, but I bet this team right now could beat last year's team at any point.

Not a single game has been a blowout, and these guys showed so much more emotion than anything seen in the last few years.

Max Power

• Assistant Coach
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 10:35:06 pm
Great game to watch. Great crowd... whoever said we would outnember the Wake fans 10 to 1 was wrong. It was more like 30 to 1. I was shocked at how few Wake fans were there.

We couldn't hit anything in the first half. We had a ton of blocks. Great defense. Anjuan and Coley were awesome. Wake isn't very good... they will probably be one of the bottom 3 or 4 in the ACC.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos