Author Topic: Wake Forest Post Game  (Read 12508 times)

gamer

• Senior
Reply #100 on: December 01, 2007, 01:33:51 pm
Too bad Ish Smith didn't "fit" here. He could have provided valuable rest time for Harris while allowing Lee to stay at his natural position.
The greatest boon in the popularity of Chapel Hill sports was the advent of cash registers that automatically figure change.

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #101 on: December 01, 2007, 02:18:23 pm
Quote from: gamer;272889
Too bad Ish Smith didn't "fit" here. He could have provided valuable rest time for Harris while allowing Lee to stay at his natural position.
Ishmael Smith looks like he has a lot of untapped talent and physical gifts... and it doesn't look like WFU has the coaching staff to teach him. Right now he just looks like a street baller with no real basketball skills.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #102 on: December 01, 2007, 04:03:01 pm
Quote from: eason49;272893
Ishmael Smith looks like he has a lot of untapped talent and physical gifts... and it doesn't look like WFU has the coaching staff to teach him. Right now he just looks like a street baller with no real basketball skills.

Learned them on the mean streets on I-49 Harrisburg.

LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Reply #103 on: December 01, 2007, 05:40:00 pm
Quote from: gamer;272889

I think we're in good shape there with the combination of Gerrity/Harris after 2more games

bball49er

• Junior
Reply #104 on: December 01, 2007, 09:53:05 pm
Quote from: BigTimeNiner;272873
Wilderness needs to work on that jumpshot or defenses will simply play off of him and not let him drive. I love his game, but it is going to get tougher for him as teams figure him out.

I agree on Goldwire, he can shoot the 3 whenever he is open and it fits in the offense but he is forcing way to much. I think he is trying to hard, he has got to let the game come to him.
I can't disagree with anything you posted.  However, if Wilderness can't bust that J now he probably never will be able to do so.  He appears to be quick off the dribble and most surely has some moves.  If he can be a 70%-plus FT shooter he will be fine.

Leemoan, I can't help you there.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #105 on: December 03, 2007, 10:07:34 am
Quote from: metro;272839
Dewwy reminds me soooo much of Kummer on the floor.  By his JR/SR year he'll be an above avg substitution and give 15 quality minutes.

I just made the same comparison to somebody at work.  I think Kummer may have been able to shoot the 3 a little better, but yes they are very similar.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #106 on: December 03, 2007, 10:12:54 am
Quote from: Powerbait;272843
If he is still a sub by his junior year, we're going to have a heck of a squad.

He is third in ft attempts and second in overall percentage, so not only is he driving and drawing fouls, but he is also making the fts.  

In 15 minutes he is averaging 5 pts and 3 rebounds.  If he was a 30 minute guy, 10 and 6 would be great for a freshman 2/3.  Heck Anjuan is averaging 11/5.  He also has 10 assists to the 11 tos vs An'juans 5 assists to 16 tos.

And this is after An'juan's 21 pt explosion against WFU.  I think Dewhurst is by far the best all around player and I don't like that when Lee was struggling against WFU we didn't put him on the floor.  There is no reason An'juan and Charles can't be on the floor together.  Especially since I think Charles is the most well-rounded player on our team and has the most potential.  

If he is a person who is going to be relegated to backup his whole career, I would not be surprised if he transferred.  The guy is too good to leave on the bench for 3 years.

I agree with your observation of Dewhurst.  And I also think he is the most rounded player on the team.  However, he is not as far along scoring wise right now as Wilderness and Coley.  I think that's why he may not be getting quite as many minutes.  I see your Wilderness numbers, but I think it's more a matter of Dewhurst not being as aggressive as Wilderness right now.

LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Reply #107 on: December 03, 2007, 12:12:55 pm
Quote from: Normmm;273225
I just made the same comparison to somebody at work.  I think Kummer may have been able to shoot the 3 a little better, but yes they are very similar.

I don't know about that comparison.  Dew is much more athletic than Kummer, a slasher and excellent offensive rebounder.  

Lutz calls Dewhurst the best offensive rebounder on the team.  The guy has mad hopz and just kind of floats to the rim.

I don't remember Dewhurst taking a jumpshot this year.

bball49er

• Junior
Reply #108 on: December 03, 2007, 12:18:39 pm
Quote from: LeftyNiner;273249
I don't know about that comparison. Dew is much more athletic than Kummer, a slasher and excellent offensive rebounder.

Dewhurst has a much better vertical than Kummer had back in the day.

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #109 on: December 03, 2007, 12:23:52 pm
I don't know about that comparison.  Dew is much more athletic than Kummer, a slasher and excellent offensive rebounder.  

Lutz calls Dewhurst the best offensive rebounder on the team.  The guy has mad hopz and just kind of floats to the rim.

Not good since he's shooting 26%, but I think he'll settle down and do better as the year goes along. It looks like he is trying to settle into the offense.

Other than his FG percentage, he's been a solid contibuter. He's 3rd from the FT line, which is vital as a slasher, and he averages a lot of boards for getting the amount of minutes he gets. 3 per game alongside 15mpg. He's the only non-guard with double digit assists, too.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #110 on: December 03, 2007, 03:23:58 pm

I agree Dewhurst is more athletic and at this point in their careers Kummer was the better shooter.  I think you forget Coach Kummer would take it to the hole too!  But mostly I'm talking about their all-around games.  Kummer was a good passer and rebounder.  Coming out of high school there was talk of him playing all 5 positions.  In comparison to Dewhurst I think he is the most all-around player on this team.

It's kind of silly but I just like comparing players.  If not Kummer who would you say?  Basden, Young, Cedric Broadhurst?

LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Reply #111 on: December 03, 2007, 05:23:42 pm
Quote from: Normmm;273327
I agree Dewhurst is more athletic and at this point in their careers Kummer was the better shooter.  I think you forget Coach Kummer would take it to the hole too!  But mostly I'm talking about their all-around games.  Kummer was a good passer and rebounder.  Coming out of high school there was talk of him playing all 5 positions.  In comparison to Dewhurst I think he is the most all-around player on this team.

It's kind of silly but I just like comparing players.  If not Kummer who would you say?  Basden, Young, Cedric Broadhurst?

Smooth like Eddie but not overly quick.  I think he has plenty of game we haven't seen yet.  Ok, so maybe Kummer didn't just play on the perimeter.

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #112 on: December 03, 2007, 06:30:46 pm
Quote from: bball49er;272976
However, if Wilderness can't bust that J now he probably never will be able to do so.  

Eddie couldn't hit the anything when he was a freshmen but practiced his shot and got pretty good by his senior year, Wilderness can do the same with a little work.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

TheProvider

• Freshman
Reply #113 on: December 03, 2007, 07:51:18 pm
When Gerrity becomes eligble, look for those ally-oops to Coley to get flushed.  Gerrity is faster than Harris and presents more defensive problems because of his scoring ability.  We will be a tough out in the A-10 this year.

BigTimeNiner

• Junior
Reply #114 on: December 03, 2007, 07:58:06 pm
Quote from: TheProvider;273376
When Gerrity becomes eligble, look for those ally-oops to Coley to get flushed.  Gerrity is faster than Harris and presents more defensive problems because of his scoring ability.  We will be a tough out in the A-10 this year.

Faster than Harris?????

Harris looked pretty good against Ish Smith.

Over40NINER

• Athletic Director
Reply #115 on: December 03, 2007, 10:58:51 pm
Quote from: BigTimeNiner;273377
Harris looked pretty good against Ish Smith.

Yes, he did.
This post was sponsored by Over40NINER......... the NNN 2009 POY.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #116 on: December 03, 2007, 11:12:33 pm
Quote from: TheProvider;273376
When Gerrity becomes eligble, look for those ally-oops to Coley to get flushed. Gerrity is faster than Harris and presents more defensive problems because of his scoring ability. We will be a tough out in the A-10 this year.

Hard to believe he would be faster than Harris.  I haven't seen him play yet though.  Those missed ally-oops weren't all on Harris. I believe Coley banged some of the back of the rim a couple times.  Coley redeemed himself with that high flying dunk against Wake though.

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #117 on: December 04, 2007, 08:21:47 am
Quote from: cibik02;273410
Hard to believe he would be faster than Harris.  I haven't seen him play yet though.  Those missed ally-oops weren't all on Harris. I believe Coley banged some of the back of the rim a couple times.  Coley redeemed himself with that high flying dunk against Wake though.

I have a feeling that Coley will find his dunk at the Davidson game.... :biggrin:  just a hunch.  ...or maybe a wish...
Go NINERS!

Gill2003

Reply #118 on: December 04, 2007, 12:55:53 pm

Powerbait

Reply #119 on: December 04, 2007, 02:16:33 pm
Quote from: ChevEE;273439
I have a feeling that Coley will find his dunk at the Davidson game.... :biggrin:  just a hunch.  ...or maybe a wish...

Did you miss the jam vs WFU?

Gill2003

Reply #120 on: December 04, 2007, 02:22:03 pm
Quote from: Powerbait;273587

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NvwrOeg9zUY

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #121 on: December 04, 2007, 02:24:52 pm
Quote from: Powerbait;273587

No, I was reffering to the alley-oop (sp*)  he's been looking for.
Go NINERS!

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #122 on: January 19, 2018, 12:50:03 am
When Gerrity becomes eligble, look for those ally-oops to Coley to get flushed.  Gerrity is faster than Harris and presents more defensive problems because of his scoring ability.  We will be a tough out in the A-10 this year.

Gotta love full of s*** ADs on chat pages

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos