Author Topic: Wake Forest Post Game  (Read 12523 times)

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 10:42:26 pm
I personally thought we played TERRIBLE in teh first half. it was rediculous - and i honestly didnt think we would go into the locker room as close as we did.

Second half - obviously a completely different story. We looked like a solid basketball team taht had been playing together for a while - not a bunch of new guys.

I give MAJOR props to lee. Though he had a rough game tonight he played trhough. And more importantly he kept his cool. There was a LOT of crap talk going on from one of wakes players in teh first half, but lee seemed to be blowing him off. A few rough fouls, namely the one at the end of the game, a lot of players would have got up swinging - but he was cool. I give him a lot of credit as the leader of the team for how he handled himself tonight.

LETS TAKE OUT DAVIDSON NOW
The University of Charlotte? I think so.

Representing Niner Nation on Rocky Top since 2010.

dax

Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 10:46:17 pm
http://oldgoldblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/wake-at-charlotte-worst-game-ever.html

That was definitely one of the worst games Iíve seen in recent memory. I canít recall seeing a Wake team so entirely incompetent on the offensive end of the floor. Even though we played pretty good defense for the majority of the game, the offensive performance was abysmal all the way through and totally disgusted me for the entire 2nd half.

Quickly though, something somewhat non-basketball related. Time Warner Cable is currently my least favorite corporation in the world. That was probably the worst job Iíve ever seen of running a broadcast. It started with Forsyth County missing the first ten minutes of the game because TW canít figure out how to put basketball on instead of a fishing report, and even once we got the game it the broadcast was pretty abysmal. Terrible announcing, amateur camera work that kept showing replays and close-up shots when important live action was taking place, and generally terrible production.

Combine terrible basketball and terrible TV and youíve got the perfect recipe for a miserable evening. LD played great defense, and the Deacsí D was actually pretty solid all around, but the positives pretty much end there. Chas played well enough for me to feel confident that he will at least be serviceable in the post this season, even though he clearly wonít always play like he did on Monday. Ish annoyed the crap out of me tonight, taking terrible shot after terrible shot and proving he canít shoot a free throw if his life depended on it. In fact, no one was taking particularly good shots, including Jamie Skeen, Harvey Hale, and James Johnson. After the dominance James Johnson provided in the first couple of games, his play tonight was less than stellar, generally looking confused and failing to use his athletic ability to force his will on the defense. Our half court offense looked confused and incapable of actually running whatever was planned. Basically I canít imagine them playing any worse than they did tonight.

I canít think of much else to say. If you saw it, you understand exactly how awful it was. If you didnít see it, I probably canít say enough to express it. Was this likely to happen to us at some point? Yes, it probably was. We werenít going to go undefeated this season, and although it would have been great to get through this early season stretch without a loss, or at least get to Vandy without one, the fact that it didnít happen isnít that surprising. Iím confident that Dino will whip the guys into shape tomorrow and weíll see a considerably different performance on Saturday afternoon.

Honeymoonís over, time to bear down and grind it out.

hahahahahahahahahhahaha

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:34 pm
I know its a coulda shoulda woulda, BUT we could be 5-0 with a few more plays in our loses.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

MKNiner

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Admin Emeritus
Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:41 pm
Great game!  

That was a different Niner team that came out in the second half.  We man handled wake the whole second half.  We were just a few baskets from really opening it up, but I give them credit they hit some big shots.

Coley is a man and really fun to watch.  His 2 second half dunks were tremendous.

Wilderness was unbelievable tonight, and he's just a freshment. :49ers:

Dijuan was great and really gave us some quality play tonight.  I love that kid.

Loved big Phil's intensity and I don't care at all he got T'd up.  Nice to see some emotion from him.

Quality game tonight from the Niners.  Everyone should be proud of them.:49ers:
"The 49ers did it. They said they would start a football program and they did. People said they couldnít; lots of them, mostly outsiders. The 49ers ignored them. This Ė the first spring game in the history of the school Ė proves it."

NinerAdvocate

Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 10:59:02 pm
Coming into this game, I wasnt that worried about Ish. If you saw me and MikeP exchanging thoughts in the shoutbox, he insinuated that Ish would be way too fast for Dijuan....

ummm....

no. :tongue:

Like I said, Dijuan was up to the task. Ish looks like a playground player. As charlieniner said, our "walkon" backup PG outplayed Ish. Where's that story about how Ish snubbed us now?

I was, however, worried about Johnson and Hale. We flat out shut down Hale, but Johnson is a freaking specimen. He was an animal on the boards. He can play for me anytime. I have a hard time believing that he wont be all ACC very soon.

LD Williams absolutely smothered Leemire the entire game, but you guys are right, he took tons of cheap shots to do it, and damn if Wake doesnt tug on jerseys more than any team I can remember. They should have had at least 2 techs called on them for that crap.

Now for the fun part -

I love, love, love how this team gets after it on defense. It is an absolute joy to watch. Charlie Coley is SICK, and the rest of the guys are no slouches either. I loved Anjuan's post game comment on why he likes Dijuan's game "he plays defense" - it was just the way he said it.

And how about Wilderness' comment about the crowd? "That crowd was LIVE" He said that 2 or 3 times. And he played his ass off tonight. Folks, this kid is a FRESHMAN. And so are several other guys on this team. I swear, if Coley was a frosh too, I would be absolutely terrified of playing us in 2 years. Just how much better are these guys gonna get?

We do need to work on our half court offense, although it definitely improved in the 2nd half. At this point, I cant help but anticipate how much improved Gerrity can make us, because that's our biggest weakness right now.

And while Wake is most likely a bottom half or third of the ACC team, they have some elite athletes, and we handled them. That bodes well. Wake also has one of those schedules designed to maximize their win potential. They wont lose more than 2 games in non-conference. They'll take their lumps in league, but they should still have a good record.

But they deserve to lose every game they wear those godawful tie-dyes to. Ugh.

metro

Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 11:01:52 pm
Quote from: NinerAdvocate;272308

I love, love, love how this team gets after it on defense. It is an absolute joy to watch. Charlie Coley is SICK, and the rest of the guys are no slouches either. I loved Anjuan's post game comment on why he likes Dijuan's game "he plays defense" - it was just the way he said it.

8 blocks, 11 steals I believe.

I think Coley blocket one shot with his rib cage.  :lmao:

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 11:03:02 pm
Quote from: zerogeneticsdc1;272302

I give MAJOR props to lee. Though he had a rough game tonight he played trhough. And more importantly he kept his cool. There was a LOT of crap talk going on from one of wakes players in teh first half, but lee seemed to be blowing him off. A few rough fouls, namely the one at the end of the game, a lot of players would have got up swinging - but he was cool. I give him a lot of credit as the leader of the team for how he handled himself tonight.

I'm glad he didn't retaliate, and there were a few times that I would have wanted to if in Lee's shoes.  That being said, they were getting to him though.  Lee forced a lot of shots trying to shut them up instead of taking the shots when he had them.  I hope he learned tonight that he does not have to force things for us to win.  I know he feels like he has to score for us to be successful, but if he just lets the game come to him I think we will be more successful as a team.

Way too many offensive boards given up.  Against a good shooting team, that will kill us.  I know they were taller.  Use your @$$ and put it in their way.

I love to watch this team.  They don't back down, and they seem to pull for one another.  All the folks clamoring for defense will have to find something else to fuss about.  Dare I say, we could work on our shooting.

It was a great win, but our next two games are against better teams.  Fortunately, we're at Halton.  I love beating the University of Ohio at Winston-Salem, though.  L.D. Williams didn't thump his chest too much after the game.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

Max Power

• Assistant Coach
Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 11:05:39 pm

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 11:10:51 pm
Amazing the way we go after it on defense every single possession!! This is definitely a solid win for this young squad.  I was really sad I couldn't make it though, I had my ticket an everything, came home from classes today and took a nap and when I woke up I felt like I was gonna barf my guts out (sorry for the visual) :( so I stayed home and watched from my sick bed and cheered like a mad man.  NINER NATION was fantastic tonight, and it made me so proud to be a Charlotte 49er!

TheProvider

• Freshman
Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 11:10:56 pm
Wake coach said after the game "I'm hoarse from yelling so much tonight to be heard.  It was the loudest enrivonment we had played in.  Much louder than Iowa the other night".  Nice job Niner Nation!

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #35 on: November 29, 2007, 11:11:19 pm
WOOT!

Wow what a game,  its been a while since we've had a team to play defense like that.

Crowd was great,  I had Wake fans on both sides of me in 116 and I loved it.  The only time the really stood for Wake was when they took the lead when the score was in the early 50's.

Goldwire, held to 11 points on 4-of-13 shooting, hit the first free throw and intentionally missed the second as the 49ers (4-2), overcame 39 percent shooting with suffocating defense.

That's from the AP story and it sure is the truth.

Anjuan was the MAN tonight, Coley was as well.  

Charlotte missed 18 of its first 23 shots, including when Phil Jones lost control of the ball on the way up for a hook shot, sending the ball clear over the top of the backboard

Yea Phil you need to work on that hook.  I don't know what it is though, but when Big Phil plays over 20 minutes we haven't lost this year.

This was a fun game to watch, and the defensive intensity was great!

I loved the way Harris played, we actually had a PG running the offense.

Niner89

• Senior Captain
Reply #36 on: November 29, 2007, 11:12:03 pm
Quote from: NinerAdvocate;272308
Coming into this game, I wasnt that worried about Ish. If you saw me and MikeP exchanging thoughts in the shoutbox, he insinuated that Ish would be way too fast for Dijuan....

ummm....

no. :tongue:

Like I said, Dijuan was up to the task. Ish looks like a playground player. As charlieniner said, our "walkon" backup PG outplayed Ish. Where's that story about how Ish snubbed us now?

I was, however, worried about Johnson and Hale. We flat out shut down Hale, but Johnson is a freaking specimen. He was an animal on the boards. He can play for me anytime. I have a hard time believing that he wont be all ACC very soon.

LD Williams absolutely smothered Leemire the entire game, but you guys are right, he took tons of cheap shots to do it, and damn if Wake doesnt tug on jerseys more than any team I can remember. They should have had at least 2 techs called on them for that crap.

Since when Mike is the expert anyway.:lmao::lmao:
I told him to call 911 . . . because the house is . . . on FIRE.

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 11:18:50 pm
9933 the official attendance.  It sounded like 20,000 at some points.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 11:24:24 pm
Wake fans are an even bigger bunch of crybabies than I expected.

Quick, someone call the WAAAAAAAAAAAHmbulance!!

metro

Reply #39 on: November 29, 2007, 11:30:32 pm
was this a TWC game??

good for Lutz to kick an ACC team's ass on statewide TV tonight, hope some high school kids took note.

Iron9er

Reply #40 on: November 29, 2007, 11:33:15 pm
Fun game.  We looked ugly alot of times, but we made the plays to win.  And the youngsters led us.

Anjuan has game around the basket.  Major game.

Coley really did a number on Wake's inside players' psyche by swatting so many shots.  They were clearly bothered by him, even though he was smaller...

Phil looked better, more aggressive.  Also, our offense is SO much better when we just pass it in to him and let him cave in the defense...he REALLY passed well and gave some beautiful passes to Wilderness late.

Dijuan...damn, I like him.  He really truly should be a back up change of pace point guard, but the dude plays as hard as anyone I've seen in a Niner uniform.  And if he can start hitting open shots like he did tonight---watch out.

Much better performance tonight, guys....and our crowd, as always, is unreal...where were the Wake fans?

Anborn

• Senior
  • psychic spy, jedi master
Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 11:33:20 pm
Quote from: Max Power;272313
Coley Dunk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvwrOeg9zUY

nice.... too bad 4 didn't go up for some real D... Coley would have severly posterized him.  I think he knew it too, which is why 4 just slid under.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 11:38:55 pm
but guess what.  The ACC can't play ugly.  

I hate to say it but we played like a A-10 team tonight.  Nasty smothering "D", boards, steal and low 60's.

We kind of looked like the SLU's tonight.

Tintin
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 11:43:29 pm
Quote from: metro;272328
was this a TWC game??

good for Lutz to kick an ACC team's ass on statewide TV tonight, hope some high school kids took note.

We won...  c'mon that may be asking to much...  haha

49er96

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 11:51:52 pm
Agree with all posts.  Hard to believe we have a freshman with as much potential as Wilderness.  Awesome.

Also like the fact we played physical.  I want to see us play with toughness.  We have been lacking in that dept. for a while.  Glad to see Phil had 4 fouls and a T.  That's great.  (Weird to say but you know what I mean.)

Have liked Dijuan everytime I have seen him play.  He plays hard.

We need to find ways to win when Lee is having an off night and we did it tonight.  Feels good.  

Coley is great.

At least through 6 games we know there will be ups and downs (hopefully not as far down as the Monmouth game) but we play hard.  If we continue to play hard AND tough we can find ways to win.  GO NINERS!

UNCCTF

• Assistant Coach
Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 11:57:14 pm
Quote from: Tintin;272334
We kind of looked like the SLU's tonight.

Except we didn't get clobbered by 41 points against a MAC team.

Kent State 81, SLU 40

Dijuan was the man tonight.  He completely douched Ish Smith.

dax

Reply #46 on: November 29, 2007, 11:58:13 pm
Quote from: UNCCTF;272345
Except we didn't get clobbered by 41 points against a MAC team.

Kent State 81, SLU 40

Dijuan was the man tonight.  He completely douched Ish Smith.

did anyone else realized we finally played well on a hockey rink?

Anborn

• Senior
  • psychic spy, jedi master
Reply #47 on: November 30, 2007, 12:14:11 am
Quote from: dax;272346
did anyone else realized we finally played well on a hockey rink?

hahahahahaha.  pretty soon noone will get that.  its one of those comments that will date us as time goes on.  :)

dax

Reply #48 on: November 30, 2007, 12:16:18 am
Quote from: Anborn;272352
hahahahahaha.  pretty soon noone will get that.  its one of those comments that will date us as time goes on.  :)

we've actually won our last two games on hockey rinks.

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #49 on: November 30, 2007, 12:21:52 am
AP Photos:

Photos by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

To view all of them go to : [media]http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/gallery?pg=2&cap=0[/media]

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos