Author Topic: How did you guys miss this?  (Read 5684 times)

Neo

• Walk On
on: December 07, 2007, 10:19:33 am
SOUTH ALABAMA BOARD OF TRUSTEES VOTES TO ADD NCAA FOOTBALL

Courtesy:  South Alabama    Release 12/06/07

Board of Trustees Resolution

Preliminary Timeline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOBILE, Ala. -- The University of South Alabama Board of Trustees approved the addition of football to the intercollegiate athletic program at its regularly-scheduled meeting on Thursday. The decision came after a recommendation from USA President Gordon Moulton based on input from student, faculty, alumni and community groups.

The intention is that the Jaguars will field a team in 2009 with a full transition to the Football Bowl Subdivision by 2013. USA is a charter member of the Sun Belt Conference.

In conjunction with the football announcement, the Board also approved the addition of a 200-member marching band program for the Department of Music.

“This effort is really about the students and alumni, and bringing them closer to the University,” said Moulton.  “We also believe this will strengthen our already close relationship with the community”

The University of South Alabama over the past four decades has grown from a startup urban institution to a comprehensive university with an ever-increasing traditional and residential student body. Throughout the maturing of the institution to its present status as one of Alabama’s fastest growing universities, the issue of NCAA-sanctioned intercollegiate football has arisen at numerous junctures.

In 1999, not long after the current administration began, the University responded to requests from some of its constituencies and conducted a formal analysis of the football issue. USA, with the assistance of external consultants, undertook a comprehensive review of the costs and benefits of such a program and gauged community interest through various means, including a season ticket drive. At the time, the University and its board of trustees determined the timing was not right for the addition of NCAA-sanctioned football. As an offshoot of the 1999 process, a club football program was developed at the University.

The football issue again arose this summer and was independently fueled by the Student Government Association, The Vanguard student newspaper and a group named “Students who Stand.” During the fall semester, a petition was arranged and over 2,500 signatures were presented to Moulton at the basketball home opener on Nov. 11.

“This is an historic day for the University of South Alabama and our athletics department,” Director of Athletics Joe Gottfried said. “With the future of intercollegiate athletics driven by football, we are excited as we enter a new era. College football will have a major impact on our athletics program, our university, Mobile and the surrounding communities.

“I want to thank President Moulton and Board of Trustees for their vision to establish football at our institution.”

“This is a good day for the Sun Belt Conference,” Commissioner Wright Waters said. “We are prepared to do whatever we can to help South Alabama, including with scheduling. As soon as they get their Division I-A certification, they will walk in automatically as our 10th football member.”

The Jaguars will begin their schedule at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in downtown Mobile in the fall of 2009. The 40,000-seat facility is home to the GMAC Bowl and the Senior Bowl, plus numerous high school football games each year.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 02:36:28 pm by Neo »

Powerbait

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 10:22:10 am
No wonder Bobby wanted to go there.

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:22:42 am
NEO!!!!  I about had a heart attack when I read the first line.  How about we make the South Alabama part bold or something...

Let's see, We move to CUSA, South Florida adds football.  We get kicked out of CUSA for not having football....  And Bobby turns them down and they get football.  We sure as heck better hear some GREAT news come 2008.
Go NINERS!

survivor45

• Assistant Coach
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 10:47:19 am
Quote from: ChevEE;274644
NEO!!!!  I about had a heart attack when I read the first line.  How about we make the South Alabama part bold or something...

QFT!

I'm on a laptop with a funky mouse scroller.  All I saw was:

How did you guys miss this?          
                                                BOARD OF TRUSTEES VOTES TO ADD NCAA FOOTBALL

Neo

• Walk On
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:36:57 pm
Quote from: ChevEE;274644

Let's see, We move to CUSA, South Florida adds football.  We get kicked out of CUSA for not having football....  And Bobby turns them down and they get football.  We sure as heck better hear some GREAT news come 2008.

FIXED!!!  Sorry for the heart attacks!

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 02:55:07 pm
yet another school with far less resources than we have moving ahead with football.

Holy crap, start in 2009, FBS by 2013!!!
http://www.usajaguars.com/fls/8300/Football/Timeline.pdf?SPSID=99695&SPID=12275&DB_OEM_ID=8300
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 03:10:39 pm
I can't believe how fast they are doing it. They just brought it back up this summer and they've already given the official go-ahead AND they're going to start playing in 2009. Talk about a fast-track!!! Dang....

:ohmy:

Submarley734

• Senior
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 03:28:23 pm
Quote from: 919R;274766
I can't believe how fast they are doing it. They just brought it back up this summer and they've already given the official go-ahead AND they're going to start playing in 2009. Talk about a fast-track!!! Dang....

:ohmy:

Well it's apparent that they understand the whole risk/reward concept. How we haven't caught onto it yet is beyond my understanding.

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 03:31:50 pm
I had really hoped we would be FBS team #121 (Western Kentucky will make #120 this upcoming Fall), oh well! Congrats to USA. Hope we are #122

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 03:47:19 pm
The only thing I have to say about the amount of time slotted is that we are taking a conservative approach that ensures our program will stay and have the best foundation to grow.  You have to realize the difference here.  We want to compete at the very top.  I don't see USA reaching as high as we are.  Additionally, if our admins say we start 2012 but we start in 2010 or 2011, people are happy.  But if they set an aggressive date of 2009 and then end up 2010, then people get ticked.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the timeline for us moved up, but I guarantee that Charlotte will compete where we need to.
Go NINERS!

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 04:36:42 pm
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10516598

Student fees will go up by drum roll. . . . . . . .$300 a year.  That's right, a 15k student institution will need just $300 a year, while a school that could have at least 35K students when football starts is talking upwards of $400?

Let's get real.

UNCCShannon

• Sophomore
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 04:43:46 pm
I don't know else to say but DA*N!!  Hell if they can do it why can't we.  I am sick and tired of the board and committee debating the idea of getting a program, just do it already!  Charlotte needs football and needs it soon.

One question I ask is can we get the required 15,000 avg. for I-A football?

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 06:16:33 pm
My only assumption here is ...  You get what you pay for.  We want more!
Go NINERS!

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 06:38:02 pm
Quote from: ChevEE;275254
My only assumption here is ... You get what you pay for. We want more!

I get what you are saying, but they'll go Division IA in 4 years, bottom line, we are using scare tactics if we honestly think it takes $400 per student.

TheProvider

• Freshman
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 07:56:18 pm
Quote from: ninerID;275257
I get what you are saying, but they'll go Division IA in 4 years, bottom line, we are using scare tactics if we honestly think it takes $400 per student.

Where have you seen $400?  The only two numbers that have ever been mentioned in the study are $250 and $300.

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 10:12:02 am
Quote from: TheProvider;275281
Where have you seen $400? The only two numbers that have ever been mentioned in the study are $250 and $300.
the student vote (probably the most important piece of the pie towards football to date) that was held had values up to $400

scare tactic was harsh, but I'll stand firm that it is unrealistic.  

I mean student fees are to offset what isn't brought in through alumni and corporate donors.  We will have more than 2x the students they do when football starts, I bet anything our athletic foundation is bigger than theirs, they are even a younger school than us (less alumni), and Mobile is a town that was hurt finacially by Katrina.  I just find it hard to believe that the $$$ per student is basically the same.

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 07:14:02 pm
http://www.dothaneagle.com/gulfcoasteast/dea/sports.apx.-content-articles-DEA-2008-02-02-0009.html

WOW FAST TRACK

USA will play in 2009 as a Club team.
USA will play in I-AA for 2010 and 2011.
USA will play in I-A and Sun Belt beginning in 2012.

C-USA has contacted USA about future membership, due to their tiein to the GMAC Bowl.

Named Joey Jones their head coach, he is former head coach of Birmingham Southern during their startup process.

mineshaft

• Junior
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 08:39:59 pm
It's Alabama...football is king down there.  They don't have to think twice.  Folks in our area still think that football is such a big "risk".  Grow up and recognize that there are no sports without football.
"I invented the internet"- Al Gore

fishniner

• Sophomore
Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 09:20:00 pm
What's a NEO?  Where the "F" have you been?  Hiding under a Niner rock?  Geez...........

Noreaster

• Senior
Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 09:46:28 pm
Quote from: fishniner;308998
What's a NEO?  Where the "F" have you been?  Hiding under a Niner rock?  Geez...........

Stuck in the Matrix, perhaps?

fishniner

• Sophomore
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 10:07:43 pm
Noreaster, do what??????

gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
    • http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com
Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 10:19:32 pm
Quote from: Neo;274637
“This effort is really about the students and alumni, and bringing them closer to the University,” said Moulton.  “We also believe this will strengthen our already close relationship with the community

Is our University listening? Isn't this what we're trying desperately to do?

The University of South Alabama over the past four decades has grown from a startup urban institution to a comprehensive university with an ever-increasing traditional and residential student body. Throughout the maturing of the institution to its present status as one of Alabama’s fastest growing universities, the issue of NCAA-sanctioned intercollegiate football has arisen at numerous junctures.

Sounds a lot like us, eh?

USA, with the assistance of external consultants, undertook a comprehensive review of the costs and benefits of such a program and gauged community interest through various means, including a season ticket drive.

Are we talking about fantasy dollars or was this something else?

The football issue again arose this summer and was independently fueled by the Student Government Association, The Vanguard student newspaper and a group named “Students who Stand.” During the fall semester, a petition was arranged and over 2,500 signatures were presented to Moulton at the basketball home opener on Nov. 11.

We should pay attention to this. I hope we don't underestimate the importance of having SGA leadership which is pro-football, getting pro-football letters into our student newspaper, and continuing the efforts of our pro-football student organization, CFI.

“This is an historic day for the University of South Alabama and our athletics department,” Director of Athletics Joe Gottfried said. “With the future of intercollegiate athletics driven by football, we are excited as we enter a new era. College football will have a major impact on our athletics program, our university, Mobile and the surrounding communities.

Again, is anyone from our administration listening?

"We did a market survey of how people know us, and we got everything. There was UNCC, UNC, NC Charlotte (and) just plain North Carolina. We were all over the board, and it was like, nobody knows who the heck we are....We hate the UNC on it." - Charlotte AD Judy Rose

gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 10:26:26 pm
Gordon Moulton, President of the University of South Alabama, had this interview in the South Alabama student newspaper "The Vanguard". I think everyone should read it....

[media]http://www.southalabama.edu/footballproposal/vanguardqa.pdf[/media]

Direct link: [http://www.southalabama.edu/footballproposal/vanguardqa.pdf]

"We did a market survey of how people know us, and we got everything. There was UNCC, UNC, NC Charlotte (and) just plain North Carolina. We were all over the board, and it was like, nobody knows who the heck we are....We hate the UNC on it." - Charlotte AD Judy Rose

gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 10:31:07 pm
By the way, there is a freakish amount of information that CFI will find incredibly useful on the USA's football website. Check out the links on the left.

http://www.southalabama.edu/footballproposal/index.html

Over40NINER

• Athletic Director
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 10:37:30 pm
Those South Bama fans just don't get it.  If one of them wants a football team........ that's why they have U-Bama-Tuscaloosa and Auburn.  I bet they weren't even listening when the former U-Bama prezs came down to talk them out of football.
This post was sponsored by Over40NINER......... the NNN 2009 POY.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos