Author Topic: How did you guys miss this?  (Read 5683 times)

gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
    • http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 10:53:26 pm
Quote from: Over40NINER;309032
Those South Bama fans just don't get it.  If one of them wants a football team........ that's why they have U-Bama-Tuscaloosa and Auburn.  I bet they weren't even listening when the former U-Bama prezs came down to talk them out of football.

Nicely played, Spangday.

"We did a market survey of how people know us, and we got everything. There was UNCC, UNC, NC Charlotte (and) just plain North Carolina. We were all over the board, and it was like, nobody knows who the heck we are....We hate the UNC on it." - Charlotte AD Judy Rose

R49er

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 07:09:30 am
Wonder what the data would show if we ran a comparison of Mobile to Charlotte.  What is the potential "new" sports market. What is the growth of the city and the area ...not to mention a side by side comparison of the two universities.  There are some similar points I would bet, with the exception that Charlotte is the city with the most potential in the South and perhaps one of the most progressive cities in the nation. Fact is, and it may be a big issue, we are a long way from "Raleigh" and the political mafia may be thinking other things.  They want to keep the green in Raleigh (even if it were to come from new fans - students and not students alike.  I would be willing to bet this really is a "mean green" issue if you get to the root of it all.  Cant wait to hear with the announcement will be for Charlotte.  It will have a long time effect on the city and the university.  It will also have an impact on the legacy of the leadership at hand and how they are perceived in the future.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 09:08:25 am
Quote from: R49er;309057
Wonder what the data would show if we ran a comparison of Mobile to Charlotte. What is the potential "new" sports market. What is the growth of the city and the area ...not to mention a side by side comparison of the two universities. There are some similar points I would bet, with the exception that Charlotte is the city with the most potential in the South and perhaps one of the most progressive cities in the nation. Fact is, and it may be a big issue, we are a long way from "Raleigh" and the political mafia may be thinking other things. They want to keep the green in Raleigh (even if it were to come from new fans - students and not students alike. I would be willing to bet this really is a "mean green" issue if you get to the root of it all. Cant wait to hear with the announcement will be for Charlotte. It will have a long time effect on the city and the university. It will also have an impact on the legacy of the leadership at hand and how they are perceived in the future.

I'll go out on a limb here and say Charlotte is already larger then Mobile, is growing faster, and overall just a more prosporous area.

thelew1014

Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 10:54:44 am
Quote from: Over40NINER;309032
Those South Bama fans just don't get it.  If one of them wants a football team........ that's why they have U-Bama-Tuscaloosa and Auburn.  I bet they weren't even listening when the former U-Bama prezs came down to talk them out of football.

Watch it.:angry:

thelew1014

Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 10:57:47 am
Quote from: R49er;309057
Wonder what the data would show if we ran a comparison of Mobile to Charlotte.  What is the potential "new" sports market. What is the growth of the city and the area ...not to mention a side by side comparison of the two universities.  There are some similar points I would bet, with the exception that Charlotte is the city with the most potential in the South and perhaps one of the most progressive cities in the nation. Fact is, and it may be a big issue, we are a long way from "Raleigh" and the political mafia may be thinking other things.  They want to keep the green in Raleigh (even if it were to come from new fans - students and not students alike.  I would be willing to bet this really is a "mean green" issue if you get to the root of it all.  Cant wait to hear with the announcement will be for Charlotte.  It will have a long time effect on the city and the university.  It will also have an impact on the legacy of the leadership at hand and how they are perceived in the future.

Mobile isn't much... it's not growing nearly as fast as Charlotte, is about half the size (or less), and nobody in Mobile gives a rat's ass about USA.  You think it's bad for a Charlotte fan in Charlotte... In Alabama, you are brought home from the hospital wearing either a Crimson shirt or an orange shirt... and that's how it is for life.

gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 12:38:01 pm
I sent a letter to Mr. Dubois...and got a response

Chancellor Phil,

It was recently brought to my attention that the University of South Alabama voted to add a NCAA-sanctioned football program in December of 2007, upon which I felt an urge to contact you.

Upon reading the official press release, there were several comments made by USA President Gordon Moulton which caught my attention:

"This effort is really about the students and alumni, and bringing them closer to the University," said Moulton.  "We also believe this will strengthen our already close relationship with the community"

"This is an historic day for the University of South Alabama and our athletics department," Director of Athletics Joe Gottfried said. "With the future of intercollegiate athletics driven by football, we are excited as we enter a new era. College football will have a major impact on our athletics program, our university, Mobile and the surrounding communities.

Mr. Dubois, as a resident of the Charlotte area, I do sincerely hope you do not underestimate the impact a college football program would have on enabling UNC Charlotte to become a part of this international city. I applaud your efforts to proceed with caution, because money is indeed everything. A sound financial plan is fundamental a prerequisite to moving forward, but again, I hope you do not underestimate the broader impact this decision can have on the future of Charlotte's greatest university. In a Q&A discussion with the student newspaper, USA President Moulton wrapped up the discussion by saying, "If we break even financially, and our students, alumni, faculty, staff and other constituencies are brought closer to their university, then football will have been a success."

The Charlotte community is waiting, and we are anxious to support this ambitious program. Nevertheless, I do believe that you love this University and this Great City, and so I trust that whatever final decision you make will indeed be in the best interest of the University, and the community.

Thank you very much for your time, and for your hard work.

Mr. Jay Sulahry
Resident of Charlotte, NC

"We did a market survey of how people know us, and we got everything. There was UNCC, UNC, NC Charlotte (and) just plain North Carolina. We were all over the board, and it was like, nobody knows who the heck we are....We hate the UNC on it." - Charlotte AD Judy Rose

gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 12:47:02 pm
And here's the response...

Thanks, Jay.  I’m looking hard at the report and other information I need to make a good decision.

If the U. of S.   Alabama president thinks he’s going to “break even financially,” then he has been smoking something.  As you probably know, there are only a small number of Division I programs that “make money.”  Nearly all are heavily subsidized.  The question is whether the subsidy is worth it.  In our case, we’re not allowed to use state dollars, so the subsidy falls upon the students.  I’m looking at the question of how we keep that subsidy as reasonable as possible.

More later, of course.

Phil

UNCCTF

• Assistant Coach
Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 12:50:51 pm
If the U. of S. Alabama president thinks he’s going to “break even financially,” then he has been smoking something.

It's pretty damn funny that he said that.

gotLutz

• Assistant Coach
Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 12:52:46 pm
Quote from: UNCCTF;309178
It's pretty damn funny that he said that.

Yeah I know right. I read it five times just to make sure.

UNCCTF

• Assistant Coach
Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 12:53:24 pm
Quote from: gotLutz;309180
Yeah I know right. I read it five times just to make sure.

I've met Phil a few times.  He's a very funny dude.

Noreaster

• Senior
Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 10:49:48 pm
Quote from: fishniner;309013
Noreaster, do what??????

Neo is a character in The Matrix.  It's a movie trilogy...perhaps you've heard of it?  You did ask what a Neo is, did you not?

thelew1014

Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 11:47:06 pm
Quote from: Noreaster;309323
Neo is a character in The Matrix.  It's a movie trilogy...perhaps you've heard of it?  You did ask what a Neo is, did you not?

Or perhaps he is relating to the "Neoneoneo... SPORIN!" scene from Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Semi funny movie which pales in comparison to Kung Fu Hustle.  That's some funny **** right there.

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 05:44:58 pm
I think it funny they're talking about having connection to getting into CUSA with the GMAC Bowl's help. I was recently told that even if Charlotte could get the Tire Bowl to hook up CUSA, WE wouldn't stand a snowball's chance getting back in! So who's the wrong here? The CUSA guy or the folks at Mobile's newspaper?

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 01:29:46 am
Quote from: ninerID;275257
I get what you are saying, but they'll go Division IA in 4 years, bottom line, we are using scare tactics if we honestly think it takes $400 per student.

Where have you seen $400?  The only two numbers that have ever been mentioned in the study are $250 and $300.
Can I get an $820??  Going once...

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 06:29:21 am
Quote from: ninerID;275257
I get what you are saying, but they'll go Division IA in 4 years, bottom line, we are using scare tactics if we honestly think it takes $400 per student.

Where have you seen $400?  The only two numbers that have ever been mentioned in the study are $250 and $300.
Can I get an $820??  Going once...
The numbers ID references are to the increase in the student fee, which is what the SGA poll was asking about, IIRC.

Regardless, the student fee for athletics was only $182.50/semester in 2004-2005. It is now $401/semester.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos