Author Topic: 49er's to play in Grady Cole Summer League  (Read 30247 times)

LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Reply #50 on: June 23, 2010, 02:33:02 pm
Mayfield at 6:00.  Any word yet on Briscoe? 

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #51 on: June 23, 2010, 02:58:29 pm
It was kind of hard keeping up with which guys were Niners without a program.  I don't remember everyone by sight, but I do some of them.  I'd also like to know who some of the others are, but we get nothing.

So what was with the DJ saying to some hottie, "Everyone go & see Cheryl?''  What is she a stripper or a hooker or something?  I'm not going to ask her, what are you in front of her 3 sons. :))

Y'all missed Chisox17 getting pulled out of the crowd to play.  He had 15 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, & 2 3's (including the game-winner.)  They carried him off on their shoulders.

I wanted to say hey to Lewis' parents, but I'm not sure what the NCAA allows me to say, so I didn't say anything.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:01:18 pm by stonecoldken »
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

NLP

Reply #52 on: June 23, 2010, 04:20:32 pm
I wanted to say hey to Lewis' parents, but I'm not sure what the NCAA allows me to say, so I didn't say anything.
Definitely the right decision.  Because they have a son we're recruiting, it's a no-no to talk to them despite also being Colby's father.  No sense risking trouble when they're could be NARCs in the crowd (coaches for other programs).

Hooner49

• Senior Captain
  • #namechangenow
    • University Name Change Campaign
Reply #53 on: June 23, 2010, 04:51:51 pm
Braz tonight at 7
(08:50:08) The_White_Samurai: 90% of farts that come from a diet such as Hooner's result in bleeding.

(10:25:26) NLP49: Dude, you're not Hooner. Only Hooner is.
(10:25:32) NLP49: And even he doesn't rub it in our faces.

(11:59:07) Charlotte2002: hooner's honesty is admirable

Chisox17

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://www.ninerreport.com
Reply #54 on: June 23, 2010, 05:37:27 pm
Heading over to see Mayfield play in just a few min.
2010 NNN POSTER OF THE YEAR

Chisox17

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #55 on: June 23, 2010, 09:39:24 pm
Ok I just got back from watching a few games with NLP...

FIRST GAME:  Dijuan, DA, and Demario Mayfield played.  Dijuan was his usual self.  Blazing fast with some awesome dishes.  DA was DA, took a ton of shots, made a couple threes.  Demario Mayfield barely played, and when he did, they hardly ever passed him the ball.  However, he still managed about 8 or 9 pts.  I think he was 3-4 from the ft line (the only miss coming after being iced for ab 5 min when they tried to fix the clock) had a nice dunk, and a couple layups if I remember correctly.

SECOND GAME:  Curtis Withers, Braz, and Lamont played for McNasty.  Man I miss Curt!  The dude is a monster and could not be stopped under the basket.  I know he's lacking NBA height, but I think he really should be in the league.  Braz had another quiet game, though he did have at least one dunk, and played some solid D.  Mack looked really good.  He looks like he's been woking really hard on his conditioning and had a smooth all around offensive game.  I wish we could have had him for one more year.

THIRD GAME:  Ok now this is where it gets interesting...  Shamari and Anjuan played VS Derrio, Briscoe, and JT Thompson.  Shamari was an absolute tank and could not be stopped.  Even the bigger guys in this league have no shot at guarding him.  Anjuan looked good as well, didn't score a lot, but had some nasty takes to the basket.  Derrio looked phenomenal.  He had some great drives to the basket, had some nice passes including a ridiculous through-the-legs in transition pass, and his jumper looked silky smooth.  I'm looking forward to a big year from him.  JT Thompson... man, I wish we could have landed him.  He looked like a man amongst boys.  He had two or three dunks that were just absurdly nasty, one of them coming off an Iverson-esque crossover.  Dude can play.

Jamar Deuce Briscoe.... OK first half.. he played about 5 min or so and looked really good.   He mainly was looking to distribute, but also had a sweet pull-up midrange jumper and a couple nice drives to the basket.   Second half.. granted I wasn't on the bench and don't know exactly what happened, but NLP can back me up on this story.  About halfway through the second half, Briscoe got pissed for not playing enough and took off his jersey.  It was clear the coach wanted to put him in, but noticed he had taken off his jersey.  You could tell the coach was having a "wtf are you doing, are you kidding me?" talk with him.  Meanwhile Briscoe just sulked and wouldn't look him in the eye.  On top of this, Briscoe was the only one who wouldn't join the team in the huddle during timeouts.  You could see Derrio a couple times try and convince him to come join them, but Deuce wanted to sulk instead.

I REALLY hope this isn't a sign of things to come.  There's nothing I hate more than a player who only cares about himself.  Sokool, what's the deal with your boy!?  Major won't put up with this crap I can tell you that right now.

Anyways, that's what Ive got.  NLP, feel free to add in what I missed.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 09:52:34 pm
that really makes me nervous what you said about briscoe. i heard some rumblings from the north carolina central fans about him being selfish but i dont think you want to believe that about a new player. this kid needs to get this straightened out or he is gonna look back in three years and wonder why is playing in europe instead of the nba. we are only as good as briscoe this season.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #57 on: June 23, 2010, 10:01:01 pm
as far as braswell, did he just not play hard, not get enough shots or not play well? i wish he was going against withers. that would be a great way to get ready for the physicality of the season.

Chisox17

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #58 on: June 23, 2010, 10:10:27 pm
ninerfan55, I've read the same things as you mentioned about what nccu fans had to say about Briscoe.  I really hope this doesn't become a problem.  I'll agree that he should have played way more, but sulking and quitting on your team in the middle of a game is no way to show you're pissed.  Just play your ass off while you're in the game, then talk to the coach afterwards. 

As for Braz, he plays hard, but this league is very guard oriented.  Even the best post players don't get fed the ball much.  This is especially true for team Mcnasty (Jeff McInnis' team), which he is on.  I wouldn't worry about him not scoring.  Like I said in an earlier post, if he got the ball more and focused on doing his own thing, he could probably average 25+ pts. 

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #59 on: June 23, 2010, 10:16:26 pm
ninerfan55, I've read the same things as you mentioned about what nccu fans had to say about Briscoe.  I really hope this doesn't become a problem.  I'll agree that he should have played way more, but sulking and quitting on your team in the middle of a game is no way to show you're pissed.  Just play your ass off while you're in the game, then talk to the coach afterwards. 

As for Braz, he plays hard, but this league is very guard oriented.  Even the best post players don't get fed the ball much.  This is especially true for team Mcnasty (Jeff McInnis' team), which he is on.  I wouldn't worry about him not scoring.  Like I said in an earlier post, if he got the ball more and focused on doing his own thing, he could probably average 25+ pts.

that's all i wanted to know about braswell. is it just me or is mccinnis not very good? i watched this guy last year in the league and he made one shot the whole game, and it was at the buzzer. this was despite taking about forty. im different than most basketball fans in that i enjoy watching to bigs go at it more than two guards. do you remember who any of our guys were playing against? any notable names?

Chisox17

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #60 on: June 23, 2010, 10:25:49 pm
Nah didn't recognize anyone that our guys were playing against.  And yes, for a former NBA player, McInnis is not very good.  He made some nice shots tonight though.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #61 on: June 23, 2010, 10:27:06 pm
i would love to hear a recap from anyone else that was there tonight.

NLP

Reply #62 on: June 23, 2010, 10:37:19 pm
I echo what Chisox said.

About Briscoe:  The knee-jerk reaction is to say he's selfish.  But remember he paid his own way as a 'walk-on' with our team last  year as an out-of-stater.  Does that strike you as selfish?  He's just got to remember a lot of these guys know each other and have been playing together for years. 

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #63 on: June 23, 2010, 10:39:31 pm
I echo what Chisox said.

About Briscoe:  The knee-jerk reaction is to say he's selfish.  But remember he paid his own way as a 'walk-on' with our team last  year as an out-of-stater.  Does that strike you as selfish?  He's just got to remember a lot of these guys know each other and have been playing together for years.

i understand that but i don't think there is an excuse for what he did. also, what is your analysis of how everyone played?

Ruckus42

• Junior
Reply #64 on: June 23, 2010, 11:05:47 pm
The Briscoe thing makes me nervous. I hope Major addresses it with him. Even if it wasn't Charlotte 49er basketball, you still don't do that out there because it makes Charlotte 49er basketball look bad.
Always Bringin Da Ruckus!!

Chipper

• Junior
Reply #65 on: June 23, 2010, 11:26:16 pm
The Briscoe thing makes me nervous. I hope Major addresses it with him. Even if it wasn't Charlotte 49er basketball, you still don't do that out there because it makes Charlotte 49er basketball look bad.

Briscoe needs to get this s*** out of his system NOW.  There's still plenty of time before November. 

sokool

• Sophomore
Reply #66 on: June 24, 2010, 12:15:03 am

Briscoe needs to get this s*** out of his system NOW.  There's still plenty of time before November.

Duece's behavior tonight completely unacceptable and out of character. Dont get nervous guys this was a first, a lesson learned and it's highly unlikely you'll see that reaction again.

The kid obviously really wanted and expected to have an unbiased opportunity to play tonight.This being his 1st time before Charlotte fans and public. If not starters minutes at least equal minutes. When that did not happen, competitive drive and emotion became an issue. We want and need high profile, skilled athletes like Briscoe, who have that extreme desire to compete. However they also need to be able to handle adversity in a mature and responsible way.   

Duece will bounce back and i'm confident that we 49er fans will be very proud of him on and off the court. If he plays tomorrow lets hope the coach gives him more PT. From what Chisox says he played very well in the 5 minutes he got and deserves to play more. Even if he is the new kid on the block.

Chisox thanks for the updates I FEEL LIKE I'M ON THE FRONT ROW. ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:55:16 am by sokool »

Chisox17

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #67 on: June 24, 2010, 08:08:20 am
sokool, thanks for the response, and I hope you're right.  Hopefully this was an isolated incident. Like I said, I completely agree that it was BS that he barely played in the first half.  However he needs to realize there's a much more mature way to handle the situation.  And no problem for the updates, I love doing it!  And a big thanks to moss for keeping me upated about who's playing and when.

Powerbait

Reply #68 on: June 24, 2010, 09:02:10 am
I'm not disagreeing that he couldn't have handled it better, but we have no idea what transpired on the floor to make him react that way. 

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #69 on: June 24, 2010, 09:42:13 am
Hope he's not a head case, but I've played on teams like these before and not got to play much and it pissed me off too.  I didn't make a scene, I just didn't go back.
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #70 on: June 24, 2010, 09:50:51 am
Let's wait and see how things play out before jumping to conclusions. As NLP said, this kid paid his way for a year to be here, let's give him a chance.

NLP

Reply #71 on: June 24, 2010, 11:38:44 am
Hope he's not a head case, but I've played on teams like these before and not got to play much and it pissed me off too.  I didn't make a scene, I just didn't go back.
It wasn't a scene.  We just noticed because we're there specifically to see him.  He was still talking to his teammates on the bench, just didn't want to have anything to do with the 'coach'
The coach is that "Old School" guy who's been playing in that league for a million years and has the salt and pepper hair that's more salt than pepper now.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #72 on: June 24, 2010, 11:48:12 am

that's all i wanted to know about braswell. is it just me or is mccinnis not very good? i watched this guy last year in the league and he made one shot the whole game, and it was at the buzzer. this was despite taking about forty. im different than most basketball fans in that i enjoy watching to bigs go at it more than two guards. do you remember who any of our guys were playing against? any notable names?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Jeff McInnis fan.  But to be fair, dude has to be 35+ now.  It's not like you're seeing a 25 year old McInnis.  Anybody that has a 10+ NBA career has to be decent.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Powerbait

Reply #73 on: June 24, 2010, 11:52:36 am
It wasn't a scene.  We just noticed because we're there specifically to see him.  He was still talking to his teammates on the bench, just didn't want to have anything to do with the 'coach'
The coach is that "Old School" guy who's been playing in that league for a million years and has the salt and pepper hair that's more salt than pepper now.

Yeah, I don't get the impression he is selfish either.  It was an isolated event at what is basically organized pick up games. 

sokool

• Sophomore
Reply #74 on: June 24, 2010, 12:05:26 pm

Yeah, I don't get the impression he is selfish either.  It was an isolated event at what is basically organized pick up games.

NLP how did Briscoe look in the time he played? Ballhandling,passing,scoring ect.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos