Author Topic: College basketball scandal  (Read 13376 times)

NinerWupAss and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #75 on: January 26, 2018, 11:41:16 pm
The NCAA runs the championships in the non-revenue sports. The P5 schools dominate those and need them for Title IX compliance. Maybe the P5 think they can run their own championships in those sports, but they would be a distraction and a duplication.

If the P5 break off from the NCAA, they'll still play non-P5 schools in basketball and football to pad their winning percentages. How many teams would play in a P5 basketball championship? 32 teams means almost half make the tournament. Without victories over non-P5 schools, the first round games would feature 28-5 schools playing 16-15 schools, without the David vs Goliath angle.   

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #76 on: January 27, 2018, 08:23:10 am
The NCAA runs the championships in the non-revenue sports. The P5 schools dominate those and need them for Title IX compliance. Maybe the P5 think they can run their own championships in those sports, but they would be a distraction and a duplication.

If the P5 break off from the NCAA, they'll still play non-P5 schools in basketball and football to pad their winning percentages. How many teams would play in a P5 basketball championship? 32 teams means almost half make the tournament. Without victories over non-P5 schools, the first round games would feature 28-5 schools playing 16-15 schools, without the David vs Goliath angle.

My money says their tv ratings will suffer without the upset potential of a Weber State defeating the tarholes, or the Cinderella effect of a strong non P-5 advancing to the Final Four.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Run49er

• Chancellor

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #78 on: February 13, 2018, 03:35:15 pm
Now the Feds need to drop the charges against everyone else, & apologize for nosing into the NCAA's business.  Separate the sport & state!
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #79 on: February 13, 2018, 03:50:58 pm
Now the Feds need to drop the charges against everyone else, & apologize for nosing into the NCAA's business.  Separate the sport & state!
FWIW, as the article points out, the reason the charges were dropped against Jonathan Augustine is because he is cooperating with the authorities.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #80 on: February 13, 2018, 05:20:36 pm
FWIW, as the article points out, the reason the charges were dropped against Jonathan Augustine is because he is cooperating with the authorities.
https://www.hobbydb.com/catalog_items/sing-like-a-canary

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #81 on: February 13, 2018, 05:38:04 pm
clt says to drop all charges. After CHeat got way with their fraud, no rules matter.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #82 on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:59 pm
Chapel Hill didn't cheat, they just got the NCAA to redefine integrity for them.
#unc-CHeatingPays

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #83 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:52 pm
Run49er, my Dad used to say if the only evidence you have is testimony of a snitch, then you have no evidence.

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #84 on: February 15, 2018, 02:09:44 pm
Tweeted by Mark Schlabach of ESPN:
Sources tell ESPN as many as 3 dozen Division I basketball programs could face NCAA penalties once evidence of FBI probe is public. "It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top. It's the team14th s that are already there."
6:27 PM · Feb 14, 2018

Plus link to his latest piece:

ESPN.com: Ex-Adidas execs, agent want federal charges dropped in corruption case
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:29:42 pm by Run49er »

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #85 on: February 15, 2018, 02:26:31 pm
ESPN.com: Ex-Adidas execs, agent want federal charges dropped in corruption case

And a follow-up tweet by Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports:
Judge in federal basketball corruption case denies the motion to dismiss brought forward by lawyers for Merl Code, Jim Gatto and Christian Dawkins. They’d argued essentially there were no victims. Judge emphatically disagreed.
10:42 AM · Feb 15, 2018

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #86 on: February 15, 2018, 06:16:29 pm
clt says nike must have bribed the NCAa with a larger check

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #87 on: February 15, 2018, 07:59:36 pm
Sources tell @YahooSports that the breadth and depth of material in discovery in the Basketball corruption cases will alter the sport of college basketball. Hall of Fame coaches, Lottery picks and top programs are all exposed to significant sanctions.  https://t.co/u8cwrw0VOZ

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #88 on: February 15, 2018, 08:21:53 pm
Sources tell @YahooSports that the breadth and depth of material in discovery in the Basketball corruption cases will alter the sport of college basketball. Hall of Fame coaches, Lottery picks and top programs are all exposed to significant sanctions.  https://t.co/u8cwrw0VOZ
What's a lottery pick got to lose?  What sanction....he is gone!

NinerNirvana

• Sophomore
Reply #89 on: February 15, 2018, 10:07:28 pm
If this is an FBI investigation, there will not be loss of scholarships, games and championships forfeited or fines paid.  People will go to prison, I assume.  Am I right?

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #90 on: February 15, 2018, 11:40:03 pm
If this is an FBI investigation, there will not be loss of scholarships, games and championships forfeited or fines paid.  People will go to prison, I assume.  Am I right?

Depends on if FBI provides info to NCAA
Mahna Mahna

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #91 on: February 16, 2018, 07:00:35 am
Just a reminder. 

It's not a crime to cheat.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #92 on: February 16, 2018, 07:20:13 am
Just a reminder. 

The cheating itself isn’t but the by-product is which means we have criminal elements involved at the highest levels of college basketball elite.
Mahna Mahna

NLP49

• Administrator
  • Walk On
Reply #93 on: February 16, 2018, 07:30:44 am
Just a reminder. 

The cheating itself isn’t but the by-product is which means we have criminal elements involved at the highest levels of college basketball elite.

It's a crime to get paid $100,000 in cash and not report it to the IRS. It's a crime for a company to pay money to people off the books.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #94 on: February 16, 2018, 07:47:19 am
clt asks if this is just adidas schools?

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #95 on: February 16, 2018, 09:45:42 am
After the NCAA revealed its true colors in the CHeat case, the pessimism is easy to understand. It really does come down to charges and convictions by the FBI. The NCAA will have a difficult time (though I am absolutely certain they will try!) deflecting this issue once the FBIs case becomes public and the evidence introduced in court or otherwise made public.

The FBI has investigative powers the NCAA never had, or would have used anyway. There's no stonewalling them. I am certain they will expose the scandal in full, and I suspect the NCAA will be working with the subject schools to work out as many deals as possible to keep facts and evidence as shielded as possible, but I imagine the political pressure to make everything public will be enormous once info starts leaking out in greater detail.

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #96 on: February 16, 2018, 09:56:45 am
The NCAA is impotent.  All the leverage is with the big schools.  Its basically a front to pretend its governed and the P5 tells them what to do.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #97 on: February 16, 2018, 11:25:50 am
The FBI is impotent.  Yahoo websites saying FBI investigated FL school shooter, & found nothing before hand, despite many complaints of threats.  Yet they have time for silly B-Ball investigation.  This is why people say F the gov't! >:D

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #98 on: February 17, 2018, 07:17:34 am
clt says CHeat has to be the least respected athletic program in the country

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article200074549.html

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #99 on: February 21, 2018, 08:25:27 pm
Pat Forde and Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports provide the latest.

Yahoo.com: Sources: Spreadsheets, wiretaps and bank records detail payment scheme in hoops corruption case
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:27:56 pm by Run49er »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos