Author Topic: Our next AD  (Read 7590 times)

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 12:42:57 pm
The biggest question for Morrison is will this be a job he will have a chance to succeed in.  Will he have the supoort and resources to do what he  knows needs to be done to be successful.This will probably be his last rodeo.  If our reputation is as  toxic as it sounds like then it could be difficult.

I wonder how many people in the department are updating their resumes. It has to be an anxious time for them.
Phil will hand the keys to someone that can keep athletics issues away from him. We have enough financial support (and Danny could bring even more of that), that I think he's have the tools to do whatever he needs to do.

I've had several jobs and updated my resume.  Welcome to 2018 gang.  Stale doesn't fly unless your killing the market.  Clearly were not

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 12:53:12 pm
The biggest question for Morrison is will this be a job he will have a chance to succeed in.  Will he have the supoort and resources to do what he  knows needs to be done to be successful.This will probably be his last rodeo.  If our reputation is as  toxic as it sounds like then it could be difficult.

I wonder how many people in the department are updating their resumes. It has to be an anxious time for them.
Phil will hand the keys to someone that can keep athletics issues away from him. We have enough financial support (and Danny could bring even more of that), that I think he's have the tools to do whatever he needs to do.

I've had several jobs and updated my resume.  Welcome to 2018 gang.  Stale doesn't fly unless your killing the market.  Clearly were not

I think we just took the training wheels off our situation. Judy was very deliberate. Next hire will either steer us direct into the sewer drain, or put us on a Harley with Hellís angels. 

Those that believe there is a toxic flavor in our AD also believe it has been removed. There is no lack of resources here. Remember we have the 2nd largest budget in NCAA among teams who didnít put a team in any NCAA tourney. This next hire is crucial to rally donors, efficiently use student fees, and hire coaches.

49erCC

• Sophomore
Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 02:34:04 pm
Is Morrison even interested?
again, do we know this

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 02:58:05 pm
Morrison would be a temporary fix to get everything sorted out and stable and headed in the right direction, honestly not a bad thing.

However, I wouldn't mind pulling someone from a power 5 school that has experience with a winning football and bball program, not elite but where those teams are winning.

Also what will be key is do they clear house in the AD or not? I think it's needed, everything needs to go, need new ideas and voices especially when it comes to marketing our athletic brand.

We need so much overhauled from branding, to on the field/court performance, to handling donors, establishing relationships within the city to benefit us. However, I am hopeful!
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Head of Barstool 49ers, follow us on twitter and Instagram @barstool49ers

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 03:34:18 pm

Agree.  I think Morrison would stand a good chance of keeping our big donors on board, and a new AD should be able to increase donations significantly in excess of whatever  we pay them.  I think he could do this.  He is no roll of the dice.  This guy has been there, done that.
#unc-CHeatingPays

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 03:55:58 pm
Morrison would be a temporary fix to get everything sorted out and stable and headed in the right direction, honestly not a bad thing.

However, I wouldn't mind pulling someone from a power 5 school that has experience with a winning football and bball program, not elite but where those teams are winning.
.   You mean like TCU?

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 04:02:01 pm

.   You mean like TCU?
Hell yeah!

jfickett

• Walk On
Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 04:41:52 pm
Underrated is that Morrison is an academic, with a Ph.D., which probably earns him a baseline of respect in Phil's eyes. Phil may trust him a little more to handle the department and stay more hands off. Which would be better for everyone.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 05:04:37 pm
clt suggests Morrison be AD, then roll into chancellor.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 07:29:52 pm
Underrated is that Morrison is an academic, with a Ph.D., which probably earns him a baseline of respect in Phil's eyes. Phil may trust him a little more to handle the department and stay more hands off. Which would be better for everyone.

That was my read as well. Morrison and Dubois may actually hit it off. I think he is far and away the safest, most common sense hire. As to whether he is interested, we do not know, but it certainly would be convenient for him if he was. He said when he quit the Panthers that he was interested in getting back into the collegiate ranks. Whether that was just teaching, or becoming an AD again is unknown. However, let me clarify that there are ADs that teach classes as well, so he could go that route possibly.

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 09:58:36 pm
I think I like the associate AD at Clemson if D Morrison is not interested. Canít say he hasnít seen an explosion at that school, with even basketball starting to ride footballís coattails to success. Whether he has the age/experience/moxie to insist upon it being his vision, his plan, are unknowns.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 11:26:50 pm
I think I like the associate AD at Clemson if D Morrison is not interested. Canít say he hasnít seen an explosion at that school, with even basketball starting to ride footballís coattails to success. Whether he has the age/experience/moxie to insist upon it being his vision, his plan, are unknowns.

I donít see how working at Clemson can relate to Charlotte. Completely different universe and dynamic than Charlotte.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #37 on: January 07, 2018, 09:56:51 am
Is there any chance that our next AD has already been selected, but we are waiting until later to make the announcement? Yes, I know that we do not normally plan this far in advance, but some other schools have on occasion. A good example is Huggins going to Kansas State.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:58:43 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #38 on: January 07, 2018, 10:06:19 am

I donít see how working at Clemson can relate to Charlotte. Completely different universe and dynamic than Charlotte.

Great AD talent will not be tied to having experience at similar institutions. 
Mahna Mahna

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #39 on: January 07, 2018, 10:08:15 am
Is there any chance that our next AD has already been selected, but we are waiting until later to make the announcement? Yes, I know that we do not normally plan this far in advance, but some other schools have on occasion. A good example is Huggins going to Kansas State.

I think there is a good chance contacts have been made and some individuals identified but I doubt it's all the way to being hiring.  Phil isn't the type to jump the gun like that.  He's going to follow a process.
Mahna Mahna

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #40 on: January 07, 2018, 11:04:40 am
Dear trustees, Dubois, and search committee,

Write this down.  Here are the boxes the new AD must check or your life will be miserbale immediately:

1.  No policy wonk.  The lady at Arkansas is a big hell no.  Worked in ncaa 10 years?  Nuclear war if she's hired.

2.  Do not hire an administrator.  We need the Zig Ziglar or ADs.  Wolf of Wall Street level skills.

3.  If the press conference hire has triggers like "clean program, we have 17 sports, right type kids, soccer attendance, winning isn't most important, athlete experience, etc....  We will come after you with no lube.  Deadly serious

4.  Look south.  No A10 or Northeast persona.  Raid the SEC.  Also while your at it, absolutely no UNC blood. 

5.  See UCF and copy every page of playbook.  Youth, swagger, compete.  Morrison gets Mulligan on age.

6. Social media.  If your hire doesnt have active Twitter, it's a no.  It's 2018.  Danny Morrison gets slight exception same as above. 

7.  Make it known status quo is unacceptable and the AD must behave 180 degrees opposite of the DMV mentality

8.  Read every last #49erfestivus hastag on Twitter.  Fix them. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:07:48 am by metro »

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #41 on: January 07, 2018, 11:24:01 am

Also what will be key is do they clear house in the AD or not? I think it's needed, everything needs to go, need new ideas and voices especially when it comes to marketing our athletic brand.

We need so much overhauled from branding, to on the field/court performance, to handling donors, establishing relationships within the city to benefit us. However, I am hopeful!

I don't think this is necessarily true.  It is extremely possible that there are a lot of good ideas getting shot down by the current leadership.  I would like to see the new AD come in with a vision and see what ideas the current staff has to getting to that vision.  If there are no good ideas then you must go find people at that point.  No need to clean house just for sake of cleaning house, but it will happen to an extent by itself naturally.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 11:51:01 am

I don't think this is necessarily true.  It is extremely possible that there are a lot of good ideas getting shot down by the current leadership.  I would like to see the new AD come in with a vision and see what ideas the current staff has to getting to that vision.  If there are no good ideas then you must go find people at that point.  No need to clean house just for sake of cleaning house, but it will happen to an extent by itself naturally.
You bring up a fair point and it may very well be true. However, I just feel like branding has been a bit underwhelming in recent years.

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #43 on: January 07, 2018, 08:31:14 pm
I donít think itís a good idea to just limit the AD talent pool to just the south. Especially to just sec schools. Hell charlotte probably has more in common with programs like Georgia Tech, Miami, and Pitt in terms of  benefits  challenges and culture compared to any sec school. And I would rather be the next Miami than the next South Carolina. As for keeping out unc blood I can understand why but that would likely rule out danny Morrison since he is a unc alumni.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

NinerNirvana

• Sophomore
Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 09:18:17 am
There are many things that I would like to see changed by the new AD.  However, one important thing that Judy Rose did for the image of athletics is that she insisted that the athletic teams be called the Charlotte 49ers .  A policy to that effect was created some 17 years ago.  However, with a new AD and a chancellor that we know is not supportive of a name change for the university, I am concerned that the new AD may decide to revert to calling all 49er teams by the  UNC Charlotte moniker.  How do we prevent this from happening?

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #45 on: January 08, 2018, 09:25:53 am
There are many things that I would like to see changed by the new AD.  However, one important thing that Judy Rose did for the image of athletics is that she insisted that the athletic teams be called the Charlotte 49ers .  A policy to that effect was created some 17 years ago.  However, with a new AD and a chancellor that we know is not supportive of a name change for the university, I am concerned that the new AD may decide to revert to calling all 49er teams by the  UNC Charlotte moniker.  How do we prevent this from happening?
Just a guess, but I think Dubois probably doesn't do anything to rock the boat in athletics over the next couple of years.  He has to have an exit plan to cement his legacy, get his name on a building, and ride off into the sunset.  Putting out fires is not going to be part of his plan.
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 10:14:51 am
Just a guess, but I think Dubois probably doesn't do anything to rock the boat in athletics over the next couple of years.  He has to have an exit plan to cement his legacy, get his name on a building, and ride off into the sunset.  Putting out fires is not going to be part of his plan.

His building will probably be a medical building in Chapel Hill.
Mahna Mahna

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:05 am
Article on Morrison when he took the position at SC.  Some quotes of interest:

http://www.sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/hrsm/about/news/2017/morrison_danny.php#.WlOLnVWnGpo

Morrison is one of the few professors of practice that South Carolina has appointed. The specialized position is designed for individuals who can teach from exceptional professional expertise, but Dr. Morrisonís Ph.D. and background in academia make him a particularly rare candidate. 

In addition to his doctorate, Morrison earned his B.A. in mathematics from Wofford College and his M.Ed. in administration and supervision from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Morrison says he is looking forward to getting back to one of his alma maters and to his love for education.

ďThereís nothing like being around students,Ē Morrison said. ďLearning goes both ways, so it is a real opportunity for me to learn from the students and also from the wonderful faculty.Ē

Morrison said he hopes his variety of experiences in a 42-year career in sports and education will be a benefit to his students. He also said he plans to impart a lesson stressed often throughout the Panthers franchise.

ďHard work, harmony, teamwork, listen, respect Ė those are the values the Panthers organization lives by and they are fundamentals that can be applied to any organization,Ē he said.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 04:07:37 pm

His building will probably be a medical building in Chapel Hill.
May said building be torn down because it does not fit well with the surroundings.

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #49 on: January 09, 2018, 01:54:23 pm
Dear trustees, Dubois, and search committee,

Write this down.  Here are the boxes the new AD must check or your life will be miserbale immediately:

1.  No policy wonk.  The lady at Arkansas is a big hell no.  Worked in ncaa 10 years?  Nuclear war if she's hired.

2.  Do not hire an administrator.  We need the Zig Ziglar or ADs.  Wolf of Wall Street level skills.

3.  If the press conference hire has triggers like "clean program, we have 17 sports, right type kids, soccer attendance, winning isn't most important, athlete experience, etc....  We will come after you with no lube.  Deadly serious

4.  Look south.  No A10 or Northeast persona.  Raid the SEC.  Also while your at it, absolutely no UNC blood. 

5.  See UCF and copy every page of playbook.  Youth, swagger, compete.  Morrison gets Mulligan on age.

6. Social media.  If your hire doesnt have active Twitter, it's a no.  It's 2018.  Danny Morrison gets slight exception same as above. 

7.  Make it known status quo is unacceptable and the AD must behave 180 degrees opposite of the DMV mentality

8.  Read every last #49erfestivus hastag on Twitter.  Fix them.

Translation, version 1: Here are our rules, but Danny Morrison gets a pass on whatever rules his hire would break.

Translation, version 2: Just hire Danny Morrison and be done with it.
DUCK FAVIDSON

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos