Author Topic: WKU Postgame  (Read 3674 times)

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 02:42:54 pm
I would think that most of us on this board would support our child quitting a team if it were their parent that got fired.  You would want to protect your child from all the backlash, having to answer questions, etc.  You may not have like Price or Hudson, but he was our best player the first nine games by far.  He was the only one keeping us in games sometimes.  As it has been mention, the player that has taken his place could not play defense against a middle school team.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 08:15:47 am
I would think that most of us on this board would support our child quitting a team if it were their parent that got fired.  You would want to protect your child from all the backlash, having to answer questions, etc.  You may not have like Price or Hudson, but he was our best player the first nine games by far.  He was the only one keeping us in games sometimes.  As it has been mention, the player that has taken his place could not play defense against a middle school team.

clt says you were watching another player than clt. he had no reason to start, and the team is better without him

73niner

• Freshman
Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 11:24:14 am
I think nothing of Hudson Price. He quite on his teammates because his dad got fired.
He quite on the assistant coaches that put time in coaching him.Iit wasn't only his dad that was
coaching him. He comes off looking bad in my book. He would rather not play if he
can't play for his dad. I guess that is the only reason Mark Price took  this job. Its not
like he really wanted it. Judy talked him into it. It is pretty obvious Price best coaching job
came in his first year, when his son was sitting out. They played hard every night out.
Since Hudson came eligible the team went down hill. is that a coincidence? I think not.
.    I think this whole coaching debacle is as plain as the nose on your face.  Hudson was not a bad player and the more minutes he got and the better he played, the worse other players became.  It was the beginning of the end for Mark as players quit on him.  What was he to do? Sit his son out or realize he was slowly losing the team by playing him.  Hudson being a senior, I think Mark believed he could ride the storm out till next season till there's no  Hudson.  Here's where I have an issue with Judy and the athletic department with not seeing the real issues and somehow make better decisions than firing Price and putting us in a worse financial position.  We'll never know if Mark would have taken us to the promised land (star power, NBA connections, respected name, etc.) but firing him mid season IMO was a total asinine move on Judy's part.  June can't come soon enough.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40:22 am
I think nothing of Hudson Price. He quite on his teammates because his dad got fired.
He quite on the assistant coaches that put time in coaching him.Iit wasn't only his dad that was
coaching him. He comes off looking bad in my book. He would rather not play if he
can't play for his dad. I guess that is the only reason Mark Price took  this job. Its not
like he really wanted it. Judy talked him into it. It is pretty obvious Price best coaching job
came in his first year, when his son was sitting out. They played hard every night out.
Since Hudson came eligible the team went down hill. is that a coincidence? I think not.
.    I think this whole coaching debacle is as plain as the nose on your face.  Hudson was not a bad player and the more minutes he got and the better he played, the worse other players became.  It was the beginning of the end for Mark as players quit on him.  What was he to do? Sit his son out or realize he was slowly losing the team by playing him.  Hudson being a senior, I think Mark believed he could ride the storm out till next season till there's no  Hudson.  Here's where I have an issue with Judy and the athletic department with not seeing the real issues and somehow make better decisions than firing Price and putting us in a worse financial position.  We'll never know if Mark would have taken us to the promised land (star power, NBA connections, respected name, etc.) but firing him mid season IMO was a total asinine move on Judy's part.  June can't come soon enough.
It's not about June, she's done. She has no authority anymore. Fancher was meeting with Dubois this week, if Judy had power, that wouldn't have happened. She's done and just collecting a check for a few months.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 03:42:19 pm
It's not about June, she's done. She has no authority anymore. Fancher was meeting with Dubois this week, if Judy had power, that wouldn't have happened. She's done and just collecting a check for a few months.
FWIW, I would assume Rose is attending the 2018 NCAA Convention in Indianapolis this week.

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 03:45:00 pm
FWIW, I would assume Rose is attending the 2018 NCAA Convention in Indianapolis this week.
#junket

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 04:43:14 pm
I understand Hudson transferring
I believe Uchebo had something to do with first year
Transferring to what? he's out of eligibility. I could see him doing if he was
a freshman or a sophmore

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 04:48:40 pm
Why do you have to mention he was a star player? I know that's the only reason he got this job.
His playing skills have nothing to do with this. He was an awful coach that running the program
into the ground.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 04:54:46 pm
You seriously can't be coming down on a kid that quit b/c his dad got canned mid-season.  That's ridiculous
Yes I am. This is the real world. This ain't rec ball. Everything ain't going to go your way.
So you are okay with the best player on the team, in you'll opinion, quieting on the team
in mid season. I could see him doing it if he had eligibility left. He's a fifth year senior. He's done

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 04:55:55 pm

clt says you were watching another player than clt. he had no reason to start, and the team is better without him
I agree. He just played the most minutes. Good riddance to both Price's

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 05:09:16 pm

I don't think Hudson was great but he was better than Ajukwa.  I'd trade Ajukwa for him in a heartbeat.
Mahna Mahna

73niner

• Freshman
Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 12:36:43 am

I don't think Hudson was great but he was better than Ajukwa.  I'd trade Ajukwa for him in a heartbeat.
. With a really good center and a bunch of newcomers, Price did OK in his first year.  In fact I think he overachieved.  When this bunch of crybaby quitters decided to rebel against Price, it's set us back what may be years to right this ship.  I admit Price didn't handle the mutiny well but for all of you criticizing the Price's, you don't know how difficult the situation had become behind the scenes.  Price's coaching skills didn't get a fair shake and that's my beef with Judy's knee jerk decision.    I can see it now. Fancher is let go which probably means coach Simovic too.  Will the Serbs stay? I doubt it.  That pipeline to Europe may be our ace in the hole but I'm afraid that door is about to close.  One bad decision after another, will it ever end?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:51:29 am by 73niner »

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 06:27:51 pm

. With a really good center and a bunch of newcomers, Price did OK in his first year.  In fact I think he overachieved.  When this bunch of crybaby quitters decided to rebel against Price, it's set us back what may be years to right this ship.  I admit Price didn't handle the mutiny well but for all of you criticizing the Price's, you don't know how difficult the situation had become behind the scenes.  Price's coaching skills didn't get a fair shake and that's my beef with Judy's knee jerk decision.    I can see it now. Fancher is let go which probably means coach Simovic too.  Will the Serbs stay? I doubt it.  That pipeline to Europe may be our ace in the hole but I'm afraid that door is about to close.  One bad decision after another, will it ever end?
There are plenty talented players in this area that doesn't go a to Power 5 schools.
We need to get some of them and don't worry about a pipeline to Europe...

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 09:46:24 pm

We were the worst I've ever seen us be with Price as a coach. He was an awful coach, I'm sorry. I don't agree with the decision to can him mid season, but we were awful. and headed in the wrong direction He lucked into an excellent center that had no other options his first year. Uchebo masked a lot of our problems in year one that either were not, or could not be addressed by Price. He was a monumental failure as a head coach here and he showed no signs that he was pushing things in the right direction. We needed to rip that band-aid off, I just wish it were at the end of the season for optics.

You can call the current team crybaby quitters if you want, but these guys get 4 years to play college ball. It's not fair to them if their head coach is giving special priority to his son over them.

As for the Serbs, Ivo had nothing to do with us getting Supica, so if Supica leaves, it won't be because Ivo is no longer with the program. Ivo and Vasic are probably out of here even if Fancher is retained.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 10:01:03 pm

We were the worst I've ever seen us be with Price as a coach. He was an awful coach, I'm sorry. I don't agree with the decision to can him mid season, but we were awful. and headed in the wrong direction He lucked into an excellent center that had no other options his first year. Uchebo masked a lot of our problems in year one that either were not, or could not be addressed by Price. He was a monumental failure as a head coach here and he showed no signs that he was pushing things in the right direction. We needed to rip that band-aid off, I just wish it were at the end of the season for optics.

You can call the current team crybaby quitters if you want, but these guys get 4 years to play college ball. It's not fair to them if their head coach is giving special priority to his son over them.

As for the Serbs, Ivo had nothing to do with us getting Supica, so if Supica leaves, it won't be because Ivo is no longer with the program. Ivo and Vasic are probably out of here even if Fancher is retained.

I suppose there is a possibility that left alone Price would have left at the end of the season for the good of the program, but he doesn't strike me as a quitter and I think he really believed he could make this work.  Let's face it, we have a big stinking mess, but I think it may be best that everyone in the coaching community knows this far in advance that we have a head coach opening, and a new AD coming in.  We are what we are, but we are on their radar before the coaching carousel starts in earnest.
#unc-CHeatingPays

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:54 pm
I whole heartedly believe Price would have walked if the season continued the way it was going. And then we’d have more $$$ for Steve Forbes.

73niner

• Freshman
Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 04:10:22 am
     Niner National , what have you been smoking?  We've been bad defensively for a number of years now and this years group takes defense to the lowest level yet.  I contend the first thing that suffers when kids aren't hustling is defense.  To me"not hustling" means "I don't care".  Say all you want about the Price's but calling him "an awful coach" is a knee jerk remark considering the situation.  I have only 2 problems with Price. 1)bringing his son here was probably a bad decision (especially with this immature bunch) 2)Not having the ability to "nip in the bud" any locker room dissension that was going on.  "Awful" might apply to these 2 problems, but not "X's and O's because we don't know what he could do if Hudson weren't here and there were no dissension.  Guess we'll never know next year with Hudson gone, a few transfers out, and get lucky with 1 or 2 recruits, what might of been. Then and only then would I have called Price "awful" if things don't turn around.

73niner

• Freshman
Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 04:19:56 am
   An another thing.   Almost all my major life decisions were made by writing down the pros and cons.  I'd love for Judy to show me her list on firing Price.  I'm open minded enough to admit I may be wrong, but as the saying goes "I doubt it". 

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 04:49:41 am
     Niner National , what have you been smoking?  We've been bad defensively for a number of years now and this years group takes defense to the lowest level yet.  I contend the first thing that suffers when kids aren't hustling is defense.  To me"not hustling" means "I don't care".  Say all you want about the Price's but calling him "an awful coach" is a knee jerk remark considering the situation.  I have only 2 problems with Price. 1)bringing his son here was probably a bad decision (especially with this immature bunch) 2)Not having the ability to "nip in the bud" any locker room dissension that was going on.  "Awful" might apply to these 2 problems, but not "X's and O's because we don't know what he could do if Hudson weren't here and there were no dissension.  Guess we'll never know next year with Hudson gone, a few transfers out, and get lucky with 1 or 2 recruits, what might of been. Then and only then would I have called Price "awful" if things don't turn around.
Price was the worst recruiter in the ncaa.  He was also the least motivating guy imaginable.  But those are 2 prerequisites for working for JuBois so they got exactly what they like.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 06:27:45 am
Price was an outside the box hire, so I'll give them credit there.  I think the real issue is just Mark not being experienced with the college game.  Having to deal with recruiting, an administrator like Judy, college player attitudes vs pros, etc. 

Some of the s*** he had to deal with from Judy is nuts - like sharing their weight room time with women's teams.  I don't think he had a clue how to work with Judy.  I don't think he knew how to manage college players who didn't exhibit the standards that the pros he had worked with did. Bringing Hudson in was understandable, but probably added another dynamic to the mix he wasn't prepared for.

Is Mark a bad coach? I have no idea.  Is Mark a bad college basketball head coach? Yes.

I'm with Ross though.  He didn't need the cash.  Probably walks away at the end of the season with a negotiated buyout that saves us money.  Firing him mid season made us look stupid, the season isn't going to end any different and it cost us money.  Atleast she didn't extend him and then let him goblike the last two coaches.   

As for Mark not being a quitter, look at his coaching resume.  He never stays long.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:03:41 am by NinerWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 08:57:22 am
Price was an outside the box hire, so I'll give them credit there.  I think the real issue is just Mark not being experienced with the college game.  Having to deal with recruiting, an administrator like Judy, college player attitudes vs pros, etc. 

Some of the s*** he had to deal with from Judy is nuts - like sharing their weight room time with women's teams.  I don't think he had a clue how to work with Judy.  I don't think he knew how to manage college players who didn't exhibit the standards that the pros he had worked with did. Bringing Hudson in was understandable, but probably added another dynamic to the mix he wasn't prepared for.

Is Mark a bad coach? I have no idea.  Is Mark a bad college basketball head coach? Yes.

I'm with Ross though.  He didn't need the cash.  Probably walks away at the end of the season with a negotiated buyout that saves us money.  Firing him mid season made us look stupid, the season isn't going to end any different and it cost us money.  Atleast she didn't extend him and then let him goblike the last two coaches.   

As for Mark not being a quitter, look at his coaching resume.  He never stays long.

clt hopes you are just joking about sharing time with Karen’s team

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 09:32:17 am

clt hopes you are just joking about sharing time with Karen’s team

Was Karen's team also allowed to practice during prime practice hours, forcing our men's team to practice in the wee hours of the morning?
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos