Author Topic: When was the last time we were relevant????  (Read 1335 times)

elvis

• Walk On
on: January 14, 2018, 10:55:56 pm

God, I remember the games on ESPN against Cinn etc... Storming the court with Dicky V in the house.  Jay Bilas going on TV touting us............I look at our records over the last 15 years...............  Huggy Bear still talks about his Cinn vs Clt games.....

WHAT HAPPENED

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 07:09:17 am

God, I remember the games on ESPN against Cinn etc... Storming the court with Dicky V in the house.  Jay Bilas going on TV touting us............I look at our records over the last 15 years...............  Huggy Bear still talks about his Cinn vs Clt games.....

WHAT HAPPENED
This happened

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:47:10 am
I have a feeling this thread will be depressing and sad. Hopefully I can refrain from clicking into this thread again.

But an easy answer, since we got booted from the old cusa.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:00:38 am
February 20th, 2010.  I was at that game.  Our last sellout.  We were 18-7 and were up in a big game against Xavier, trying to snap a 2-game skid.  That was the last time we were relevant in basketball.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:25:25 pm
February 20th, 2010.  I was at that game.  Our last sellout.  We were 18-7 and were up in a big game against Xavier, trying to snap a 2-game skid.  That was the last time we were relevant in basketball.

I was at that game, as well. Le sigh.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:30:18 pm
The bottom line is this. We were relevant under Jeff, Melvin, and Bobby. We have not been relevant under Alan and Mark.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:38:14 pm
The bottom line is this. We were relevant under Jeff, Melvin, and Bobby. We have not been relevant under Alan and Mark.
But got right type kids 40. 

elvis

• Walk On
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 10:16:23 pm

No way I started this question to be a negative thread.............   I think it is an important question.  What do people consider relevant in Football or Basketball???  Obviously the current administration can't answer that question.  Is .500 in football good enough?  a bowl game every 3-4 years?  NIT or NCAA every 2-3 years? 

The Administration must at least on the surface understand the importance of sports from a revenue and student recruitment standpoint or they would not have invested the money to start football.  But it seems we are lost.

I just want to Gage from Students and Alum's how do we define success in the short term?  I am a long time niner and remember that every year we "expected" to go to the NCAA tourney every year and were pissed if we didn't. 

is success now just making our conf tourney, which has been a struggle?

elvis

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 10:34:36 pm

No way I started this question to be negative

I don't think any of the responses have been negative.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Alumni93

• Walk On
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 11:36:07 pm
Well I see this as a multi tiered answer.

When were we last relevant? Football - I think opening Day of the first season.  You know it's like the bright shiny car when you drive it off the lot.  We had publicity and energy.  As far as competitively, we have never been relevant in football.  Basketball - we were last relevant our last year in the original Conference USA. 2005.  That was the last year we made the NCAA tournament. 

Now, what does success seem like to me.  I've got a short term and long term answer and they're kind of related to each other. 

In the short term, success for football will mean getting to that bowl eligible consistently and getting above .500. In basketball, short term success would be getting one of the top 4 seeds and getting a bye in the tournament.  Being a ncaa bubble team, maybe NIT. 

Now quickly in both sports, we are going to need to be relevant in both sports before the Power 5 conferences split from the NCAA.  We are going to need to be good enough that they consider adding us to one of those conferences. I think long term success for basketball would be like the late 90s.  A team that's always in the running for conference championships.  A team with a home court that no team wants to enter.  A team that consistently makes the NCAA tournament and wins a game or two. For Football, I think a team that qualifies for bowls, not the bowls at 6-6 but gets to 8 or 9 wins and plays in decent bowl games. 

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 11:46:31 pm
Id be curious for an avid college basketball fan that is not from North Carolina or old cusa team fans to answer when was the last time we were "relevant".

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 07:54:36 am
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

elvis

• Walk On
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 08:32:12 pm

No way I started this question to be negative

I don't think any of the responses have been negative.

I agree with you, none have been negative at all, I was responding to one response saying this thread will be sad and depressing or something like that.   I am merely trying how "we" should realistically measure success in the short term and long term???  Based on how far we have fallen in the two major revenue producing sports, are our expectations as fans too high? In my humble opinion, I feel we have waiting long enough for the "process" to happen, sorry PHL to steal your phrase.  Is it time to come to grips with this is how it's going to be.. you are what your record says you are..

just want to gage

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos