Author Topic: Football assistant coaches  (Read 2117 times)

Alumni93

• Walk On
on: January 17, 2018, 10:59:46 pm
So we have the following changes on the coaching staff

Offensive Coordinator/QB coach - Montgomery replaces Mullen
WR coach - ? Replaces Gary
Defensive Coordinator- ? Replaces Wallerstedt
Inside linebacker coach - ? Replaces Wallerstedt
Defensive line coach - ? Replaces Lambert who was interim replacement for Curry. Lambert has hard enough time focusing on the game.  He can't coach a position also. 

So we are having the tryout meeting on Friday.  Our season ended almost 2 months ago and we still have all these openings on the coaching staff?

49erCC

• Sophomore
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:01:48 pm
Give Montgomery the HC job and lets get moving on things!!

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:23:04 pm
http://charlotte49ers.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

If you look at that, we have 8 FT coaches. We are allowed 10, used to be 9 but they just added 1 more.

Skalaski replaced Curry and is over Special Teams.

I'm thinking Brad Queen may be the 9th assistant:  https://twitter.com/coachbradqueen - check his bio

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:05:35 am
Still no DC.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:17:19 am
clt says we should have coaching tryouts as well.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:34:10 am
Still no DC.
Wouldn't shock me if Lambert handles defense. That is his background.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:37:55 am
Still no DC.

I've heard that's the plan.
Mahna Mahna

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:49:15 am
Still no DC.

I actually really like that idea.  With the extra assistant now, it takes the load off of somebody else, and allows for more player development, which is going to have to be our forte at this level. 

I think they are going to bet the farm on a grad transfer at QB. 

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 10:54:23 am
Still no DC.

Good, so he will have no one to blame but himself when we field the worst defense in the conference.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 11:50:03 am
Guess Lambert is a trendsetter if he goes w/o a named DC. We'd be only program in the country doing that.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 12:18:50 pm
Still no DC.

I actually really like that idea.  With the extra assistant now, it takes the load off of somebody else, and allows for more player development, which is going to have to be our forte at this level. 

Couple of things.
As the defensive line was young and wasnít too bad, they could actually become a strength next season.  Iím still concerned with the LBís and I have no idea what we have in the defensive backfield as we play such terrible schemes and zones.
A good qb could make this team respectable.  We have good, not great rbís who got fewer yards than they should due to the box being stacked.  If the freshman WRís are decent and a new qb can get them the ball, we might not lose 45-14 every week. 
Maybe we lose 35-28 instead.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

BusterC417

• Freshman
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 01:35:41 pm
Still no DC.

What in the heck....are you serious??? Is that common? I have never heard of not having a DC.

mojoniner

• Freshman
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 01:54:40 pm
Will we even have the 10 coaching spots filled?

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 02:26:49 pm
Still no DC.

What in the heck....are you serious??? Is that common? I have never heard of not having a DC.

Have you ever heard of the Dubois Rose method?
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 02:27:29 pm
Sounds like Brad Queen has been promoted from grad assistant to a defensive assistant coach position.  We have 2 open vacancies remaining.

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:13 pm
Lambert will definitely hire a DC, anyone saying Lambert is going to be the DC is wrong. He will have lots of input in our defense but you canít be a HC and a DC at the same time.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 03:10:35 pm
There are plenty of schools that have their head coach call offensive or defensive plays.  There are many NFL teams that do as well.   In fact, with Lambert knowing his own situation, I'd be more surprised if he wasn't planning to take a more active role with the defense.

We save money by not naming a DC, allowing us to pay our lower level coaches more, or pay Shane Montgomery more. 

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:38 pm
There are plenty of schools that have their head coach call offensive or defensive plays.  There are many NFL teams that do as well.   In fact, with Lambert knowing his own situation, I'd be more surprised if he wasn't planning to take a more active role with the defense.

We save money by not naming a DC, allowing us to pay our lower level coaches more, or pay Shane Montgomery more.

I'd prefer a DC that knew what he was doing.Lambert showed us his chops as the ST coach.. No thanks

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 03:33:14 pm

We will hire a DC, Lambert may end up calling plays but we will have someone else with the DC title.

You wonít find one HC at the FBS level with an OC/DC title next to their name.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 03:37:42 pm
Lambert has one year left.  I don't really care what he does.

EDIT:  I take that back.  Be outlandish.  Give sportswriters something to write about other than the losses each week.  Wear a kilt and talk in a brogue in the post-game press conference.  Call everybody Skipper.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:41:17 pm by Nugget »
#unc-CHeatingPays

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 03:53:06 pm

We will hire a DC, Lambert may end up calling plays but we will have someone else with the DC title.

Mike Leach at WSU... I believe Paul Johnson at GaTech is also both HC and OC

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 03:56:50 pm
Lambert has one year left.  I don't really care what he does.

EDIT:  I take that back.  Be outlandish.  Give sportswriters something to write about other than the losses each week.  Wear a kilt and talk in a brogue in the post-game press conference.  Call everybody Skipper.

If he's going to be outlandish, I prefer he surprise everyone by going undefeated instead of wearing a kilt.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 03:58:20 pm

Montgomery makes almost $8k less than Mullen. We didn't up our investment there.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 04:07:49 pm

Mike Leach at WSU... I believe Paul Johnson at GaTech is also both HC and OC

To be fair, I understand what he's saying.  Mike Leach has an OC... he just doesn't have to do the same amount of work as most OC's.

With that said, many of college football's brightest minds are head coach/playcallers. To this list you can add:

Scott Frost
Dan Mullen
Chip Kelly
Lincoln Riley
Gus Malzahn
Scott Satterfield

There are far fewer head coaches that call defensive plays, but it wouldn't be unheard of.

tasheets

• Walk On
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 04:10:39 pm
Still no DC.

Couple of things.
As the defensive line was young and wasnít too bad, they could actually become a strength next season.  Iím still concerned with the LBís and I have no idea what we have in the defensive backfield as we play such terrible schemes and zones.
A good qb could make this team respectable.  We have good, not great rbís who got fewer yards than they should due to the box being stacked.  If the freshman WRís are decent and a new qb can get them the ball, we might not lose 45-14 every week. 
Maybe we lose 35-28 instead.

28? You are assuming we upgrade the PK!!!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos