Author Topic: Chasing NCAA history. No joke  (Read 1907 times)

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
on: January 27, 2018, 09:57:03 pm
Football 1-11
Basketball 4-14
Current combined record 5-25

Im 99.9% sure the 49ers finish easily as the worst football basketball program in 2017-18 academic yr in NCAA and FBS

What we need to find out is this the WORST football - basketball season combo in NCAA history? 

Im guessing we go 3-7 to finish the season and finish 7-21.

Emailing Elias sports tomorrow to see what they say.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:58:45 pm by metro »

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:58:59 pm
In '70-'71, VMI went 1-10 in football and 1-25 in basketball.

Their football was considered D1 at that time.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 12:06:51 am
In '70-'71, VMI went 1-10 in football and 1-25 in basketball.

Their football was considered D1 at that time.

Are you telling us it's been almost FIFTY YEARS since a school was as bad as us in both football and basketball combined? 

Thanks Judy and Phil.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:20:10 am
UNC-Chapel Hill had a promotion called Boy Scout Day where Scouts in uniform were admitted for 50 cents or $1. I saw the Tar Heels beat VMI 62-14, or so in 1970.

VMI's basketball teams were dreadful in that era, too. The coach of that 1-25 team, Mike Schuler, was later the coach of the Trailblazers. 

Northwestern was 1-31 in football in the late '70s-early '80s over a three year stretch. Their basketball teams were bad then, too.

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 04:17:13 am
Vmi has been d1, but we're they 1a?  Im thinking they were 1aa?

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:33:02 am
Vmi has been d1, but we're they 1a?  Im thinking they were 1aa?

That split was in 1972. So I’m sure VMI was playing mostly “IAA” competition, just wasn’t called that yet. With thatnsaid, we are splitting hairs.

Point still stands, we are historically bad in the two sports that matter most. And every year we don’t break loose from being terrible, it’s going to get harder to do so. Our next three hires could not be more important.

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:53:06 am
1954 Citadel Football 2-8

Basketball 0-17
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 10:31:42 am
What is sad  is that not only are we this awful at the two revenue sports, UTEP and Rice are equally bad. Three embarrassingly bad programs in a single conference.

At least Rice has baseball status to hang their hats on.

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 11:02:03 am
Thanks Judy.....Great legacy.

Submarley734

• Senior
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 01:44:19 pm
But I thought she is Iconic, and one of the most respected ADs in the country. That's what the article said............

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 01:57:23 pm
Boston College went 3-9 in football and 7-25 in basketball in the 15-16 academic year.  They also did not win a conference game in either sport and were the first school to do that since the 70's.  To note two of their three wins in football were against FCS teams who combined to win four games. 

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 05:29:48 pm
Boston College went 3-9 in football and 7-25 in basketball in the 15-16 academic year.  They also did not win a conference game in either sport and were the first school to do that since the 70's.  To note two of their three wins in football were against FCS teams who combined to win four games.
I'd say we are worse than that. 

What's upsetting is the current admin seethes at these type discussions because they think they get a 20yr mulligan starting football.  I think we all EXPECT 1-3 win football seasons early but NO EXCUSE to compliment it with 315 RPI hoops.  As Judy said at ODU "football will make all your flaws evident.".

chidave

• Junior
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 06:02:16 pm
So we possibly could have lowest combined 1-A win total since the split? Wow every time I think we hit bottom I find I’m wrong.

And while the obliteration of the basketball program under Rose is worse than the failures of the football programs, the success of UTSA, ODU, Ga St, shows how poorly we have executed there was well. We may be the worst start-up in NCAA history.

The legacy of Judy Rose, the two revenue sports in shambles.

We can’t hire the new AD soon enough.

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 08:45:11 pm
So we possibly could have lowest combined 1-A win total since the split? Wow every time I think we hit bottom I find I’m wrong.

And while the obliteration of the basketball program under Rose is worse than the failures of the football programs, the success of UTSA, ODU, Ga St, shows how poorly we have executed there was well. We may be the worst start-up in NCAA history.

I wouldn't call Georgia St start any better than ours so far.  They have been playing since 2010 and have a worse overall win percentage. 

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 09:04:20 pm

I wouldn't call Georgia St start any better than ours so far.  They have been playing since 2010 and have a worse overall win percentage.
The discussion is combined fball bball season.  Ga St had a sweet 16 in hoops a few years ago.  And some respectable hoops seasons book ending that.

I think Judy and Phil are completely  godsmacked right now how the historical year proceeded here.  6 mo ago they were fully expecting 4-7 type football and 17-13 hoops season. 

Instead they got 1 of the WORST in modern 1A (FBS) history of combined revenue sports

chidave

• Junior
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 09:21:42 pm
I would trade our football team with Ga States in a second. If last year wasn’t proof enough, they’ve also been to bowls two of the last three years. We beat them in 2015 and now are not competitive against them.

The also bought Turner Field and converted it into a football stadium. They’ve made massive investments in football while we’ve had Judy Rose.

As Bob Dylan said though “The Times They are A-Changing”, we’ve hit the bottom and with the new AD it’ll be time begin rebuilding from Rose’s legacy.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 09:31:03 pm

George State made a bowl game their third year of FBS. We were lucky to steal one win in our third year of FBS. Charlotte is light years away from a bowl appearance.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:33:22 pm by JaMiNNiNeR »

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 08:37:46 am
I would trade our football team with Ga States in a second. If last year wasn’t proof enough, they’ve also been to bowls two of the last three years. We beat them in 2015 and now are not competitive against them.

The also bought Turner Field and converted it into a football stadium. They’ve made massive investments in football while we’ve had Judy Rose.

As Bob Dylan said though “The Times They are A-Changing”, we’ve hit the bottom and with the new AD it’ll be time begin rebuilding from Rose’s legacy.
They bought turner field and are adapting it.  They are going to build a new baseball facility and they have 2 developers working on the area in between downtown atlanta and turner field to convert the sports area into housing and mixed use (basically everything this school needs).

They've passed us
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 08:49:46 am
While this is depressing, I am slightly thankful that this kind of info is getting us a new AD and slightly optimistic that the new AD can turn things around.

I went to Hattiesburg and walked around USM’s campus earlier this month.  This school looks more like Campbell than a peer institution.  Everything seems to be going well at the university but athletics.  I’m banking on this new hire to take us to the next level.

I wrote on an earlier thread that the six Saturday’s in the fall are my favorite of the year.  I can’t imagine how much I would enjoy it if we were good.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 11:32:01 am
Comparing us to others is pointless. All we need to know is that we are putrid. Period

charlottewkndbuzz

• Walk On
Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 08:34:22 pm
Not sure what thread to put this in, but on the way home from Ikea exit 43 driving towards concord mills...right before exit 46 there is a sign off the highway that says something like 2017 NCAA champions UNC tar heels. It's a new sign, never noticed it before. Wth is that doing there and why is it so close to our university exit. It's not a billboard but like one of those adopt a highway looking signs. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow. Ridiculous though imo being so close to our uni.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 08:40:46 pm
Not sure what thread to put this in, but on the way home from Ikea exit 43 driving towards concord mills...right before exit 46 there is a sign off the highway that says something like 2017 NCAA champions UNC tar heels. It's a new sign, never noticed it before. Wth is that doing there and why is it so close to our university exit. It's not a billboard but like one of those adopt a highway looking signs. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow. Ridiculous though imo being so close to our uni.

Welcome to Friday.  DOT is removing sign.
Mahna Mahna

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:37 pm
Gregory to GT

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 10:20:40 pm

clt hopes you are unable to take the pic. clt also hopes that nc dot loses the sign

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos