Author Topic: Serious list. Next 49er coach  (Read 12161 times)

Colorado49er

• Freshman
Reply #150 on: February 12, 2018, 04:00:44 pm
I say grab Kennedy up right away.  A proven track record in a P5 conference should translate into success here.

It would probably take a quick move on our part to lock him up.  Kennedy is supposed to step aside today effective at the end of the season.

It is probably contrary to CHP and his minions to move that fast on anything even if it is the best route to go.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #151 on: February 12, 2018, 05:14:44 pm
I say grab Kennedy up right away.  A proven track record in a P5 conference should translate into success here.

It would probably take a quick move on our part to lock him up.  Kennedy is supposed to step aside today effective at the end of the season.

It is probably contrary to CHP and his minions to move that fast on anything even if it is the best route to go.

No way we can do this before the AD is hired.  Doing so would be enough to make candidates take a pass on the job.  If you are going to hold the new AD responsible for bringing winning back, you have to let them make the hire.
#unc-CHeatingPays

amnesiac

• Junior
Reply #152 on: February 12, 2018, 09:50:35 pm
to add to Kennedys many credentials..... he Won the SEC tourney in 2013.

That is quite recent.... he will probably be a strong candidate for an AAC job.  If one comes open.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #154 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:15 pm
This team compared to an NCAA bubble team has one starter, one 6th man / spot starter,  about 4 role players, and some warm bodies. We are probably 3 transfers away from having a decent team. I'd really like to see someone come in that could finish building the roster and give JD and White a shot at a winner next season.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #155 on: February 13, 2018, 05:46:00 am
This team compared to an NCAA bubble team has one starter, one 6th man / spot starter,  about 4 role players, and some warm bodies. We are probably 3 transfers away from having a decent team. I'd really like to see someone come in that could finish building the roster and give JD and White a shot at a winner next season.

Pretty much what I was trying to say.

There is talent on the team, but not much and certainly not enough.
Mahna Mahna

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #156 on: February 13, 2018, 07:47:05 am
clt says this job would be attractive if beans was still on the roster

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #157 on: February 13, 2018, 08:27:46 am

John Davis is a 6th man on a bubble team.  White is 8 mpg roll player.  Garvin too.  The other 10 never see the floor on NCAA bubble team. 

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #158 on: February 13, 2018, 08:44:27 am
Can't disagree.
Would love to see Milos stick around and see what he could become in his junior and senior years.

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #159 on: February 13, 2018, 09:03:13 am

John Davis is a 6th man on a bubble team.  White is 8 mpg roll player.  Garvin too.  The other 10 never see the floor on NCAA bubble team.

Its Jon not John...the guy has played for three years and you can't even spell his name right? 

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #160 on: February 13, 2018, 09:26:30 am

Its Jon not John...the guy has played for three years and you can't even spell his name right?
get off my lawn!

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #161 on: February 13, 2018, 09:32:06 am

get off my lawn!

Nah your lawn is too nice for me to get off of....

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #162 on: February 13, 2018, 11:33:06 am

I guess that's why after 2 years here, Jon was invited to (and did well according to all reports) the 2 most highly regarded off-season guard camps in the Nation. One was Chris Paul's camp, the other I can't remember who runs it. 

NinerT

• Walk On
Reply #163 on: February 13, 2018, 11:53:49 am
Davis would start on 90% of d-1 schools.
From all accounts, he was one of the better players at both Nike Elite and CP3 camps. Getting doubled and triple teamed night in out will take it's toll on anyone. We lack talent around him

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #164 on: February 13, 2018, 12:16:20 pm

I guess that's why after 2 years here, Jon was invited to (and did well according to all reports) the 2 most highly regarded off-season guard camps in the Nation. One was Chris Paul's camp, the other I can't remember who runs it.
Does it really matter?  We are 315 in rpi.  Our talent level is atrocious.  The hair splitting is insane.  Ok, he could maybe start on a bubble team.  You good now?  Our team still has the physical DNA of a glorified under 25 YMCA team.  We can't run, jump, shoot, nor have length required to compete.  You guys live a fantasy of you think we are just 1 good coach away. 

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #165 on: February 13, 2018, 12:22:38 pm

Does it really matter?  We are 315 in rpi.  Our talent level is atrocious.  The hair splitting is insane.  Ok, he could maybe start on a bubble team.  You good now?  Our team still has the physical DNA of a glorified under 25 YMCA team.  We can't run, jump, shoot, nor have length required to compete.  You guys live a fantasy of you think we are just 1 good coach away.

I donít think anyone thinks a coach alone fixes this mess.  I think the point is we have a few, very few, pieces.  We can also hope that new coach maybe uncovers talent that we are not using or cultivating ala JB.   That would be a pleasant surprise not an expectation. 

Whoever comes in has their work cut out given the transfers likely to occur, commitments released and the lack of talent on the roster.

Regardless of anyoneís feelings on talent and coaching next years team will look drastically different and thatís good if we want to start improving.
Mahna Mahna

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #166 on: February 13, 2018, 12:24:48 pm
Read my lips.

JON Davis will flop in Europe.  Not hating on him, good player.   But if he's that good we would be far better off the last couple years.  He's not a game changer. 

Time will tell.  Some of you treat him like Henry Williams. 

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #167 on: February 13, 2018, 01:03:53 pm

Wow, you singled out Jon and were wrong......now its about us "splitting hairs"  ::) [size=78%].....ok
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:54:38 pm by 919R »

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #168 on: February 13, 2018, 01:26:24 pm

I donít think anyone thinks a coach alone fixes this mess.  I think the point is we have a few, very few, pieces.  We can also hope that new coach maybe uncovers talent that we are not using or cultivating ala JB.   That would be a pleasant surprise not an expectation. 

Whoever comes in has their work cut out given the transfers likely to occur, commitments released and the lack of talent on the roster.

Regardless of anyoneís feelings on talent and coaching next years team will look drastically different and thatís good if we want to start improving.

I agree this is not going to be a one year fix as it is going to take a few recruiting cycles to rebuild the talent gap with have.  Hopefully new blood will help some of the existing players play above what they have shown now.  Couple that with some solid new players them maybe in the next couple years improvement will start to show.  I wouldn't be shocked if next year the team has a similar record as I am certain a few players will be transferring leave even more holes.  Whoever the next coach is has to be afforded some patience of a couple years before anyone expects the team to be above .500 record. The turnaround could happen quicker but I think it will take the perfect circumstances for that to occur.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #169 on: February 13, 2018, 02:00:50 pm
Patience will come with a hard playing team.  Thatís the biggest indictment of the current squad.  Their disinterest in playing.  Mentally this team tapped out.

Give me a team that busts their ass and plays tough D and Iíll give the new guy time. You donít have to be the most talented team - but you do have to play your ass off.  I was never the best basketball player but I rarely let a guy get by me and I busted my ass.  All I ask is that a team plays like that. 
Mahna Mahna

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #170 on: February 13, 2018, 02:03:42 pm
Patience will come with a hard playing team.  Thatís the biggest indictment of the current squad.  Their disinterest in playing.  Mentally this team tapped out.

Give me a team that busts their ass and plays tough D and Iíll give the new guy time. You donít have to be the most talented team - but you do have to play your ass off.  I was never the best basketball player but I rarely let a guy get by me and I busted my ass.  All I ask is that a team plays like that.

I agree with that 100%.  I can get more excited about hustle plays that highlight reel dunks.  If I leave knowing the team played hard but just was outclassed by talent I can live with that.  What I can stand is laziness and lack of discipline from any team. 

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #171 on: February 13, 2018, 04:35:47 pm
 :-[

+1000
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

CivilNiner

• Walk On
Reply #172 on: February 13, 2018, 06:47:49 pm
I've never seen what everyone else does in Davis. I think he is a solid player- definitely a starter on most G5 teams and maybe half of the P5 teams out there. But give me P Henry over Davis any day of the week. Only thing Davis has over Henry is shooting.

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #173 on: February 13, 2018, 07:16:58 pm
I've never seen what everyone else does in Davis. I think he is a solid player- definitely a starter on most G5 teams and maybe half of the P5 teams out there. But give me P Henry over Davis any day of the week. Only thing Davis has over Henry is shooting.

The team with more points traditionally wins the game.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #174 on: February 13, 2018, 11:12:24 pm

The team with more points traditionally wins the game.

Lol.  Yeah, that shooting thing is kind of important.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos