Author Topic: Serious list. Next 49er coach  (Read 12639 times)

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:45 am

Lutz may have the most wins, but that doesn't make him the best. I think you'd have to give that title to Lee rose.  He took a brand new nobody program and arguably had the best team in the country..........
[/quote]

Lee was a great coach, but the team he inherited from Bill Foster was not a "nobody team".  Foster's '74-75 team lost only 3 games and would have gone dancing if they had a field of 64 back then. 

Rose's trademark was taking over teams already loaded with talent and making them better.
[/quote]

EXACTLY !
Rose's biggest contribution was using his ties to Rupp to get us an invite to the NIT and got us some recognition, finally.

LutzII is my first choice because of where the program is right now....we need excitement and hope.
Scheyer would be my second choice because of the fire he had as a player and the knowledge he's
received under K.   If he could hook up with a couple good recruiters, he might take us back to the
level we want to be !

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 10:44:51 am
I dont want Miller.  There are literally hundred of coaches with no ties to chapel hill to choose from.
Who cares? A ton of people want Danny Morrison for AD, but he is a Carolina grad at least for his masters...but I guess he's ok right?

YES, he is. He doesn't come form the Chapel Hill athletic "family".

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 10:48:40 am
I still like LeVelle Moton, and would love to see him as coach here.  Don't think this administration would hire him, for various reasons, but think he would be a good choice.  JMHO.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 10:51:19 am
Whoever is the next coach I donít think this is a quick turnaround. We arenít going from 13th/14th in the conference to the top four in one or two seasons. The fans should really hold back a lot of criticism until after the third season.

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 10:56:02 am
Whoever is the next coach I donít think this is a quick turnaround. We arenít going from 13th/14th in the conference to the top four in one or two seasons. The fans should really hold back a lot of criticism until after the third season.

☝️☝️☝️☝️ Nailed it

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 10:59:25 am
hard to keep waiting, but as long as I see progression I'll give him time. We never saw that with prices teams.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 11:31:18 am
I am going to hold any coach to the typical 3rd year rule for a turnaround. By that time, the program should be showing some serious forward momentum.

That said, I made my comment because I think there are coaching hires who could turn this thing around fairly quickly. I really like that Forbes has recruited and won everywhere he has been. I think that's the kind of guy you need who can win here, early on. Recruiting in CUSA wont phase him. 

Also, this is a good time to hire. MTSU and WKU are creating the kind of 1-2 punch that starts to lift the entire league. That gives a new coach two programs to target and the possibility of selling an at large opportunity to recruits.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 11:39:17 am

Chances of a quick turn around are slim, but the one great thing about basketball is that the right talent CAN turn things quickly.  I guess what I am saying is no matter who it is we need to expect 3-4 years to get it straight, BUT we can hope that it goes faster than that with the right coaching hire.
Mahna Mahna

raleighniner20

• Walk On
Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 11:43:50 am
What's Mark Gottfried up to?

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 11:52:14 am

Chances of a quick turn around are slim, but the one great thing about basketball is that the right talent CAN turn things quickly.  I guess what I am saying is no matter who it is we need to expect 3-4 years to get it straight, BUT we can hope that it goes faster than that with the right coaching hire.

what will be known INSTANTLY is the type kids they go after and get.  I want to see us recruiting A10, AAC, and CUSA kids.  When you see that + effort on the floor + high IQ basketball = matter of time

no more beating out Charleston Southern, Cambell, PC for ballers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:03:54 pm by metro »

NLP49

• Administrator
  • Walk On
Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 11:54:35 am
My current list:

Steve Forbes (my personal top candidate)
Earl Grant
Nick McDevitt
Pat Kelsey
Jon Scheyer
Travis Steele
Ron Sanchez
Jeff Capel
Tom Crean

Now this is a good list.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 12:59:21 pm
Steve Forbes
Joe Dooley
Tim Cluess
John Becker
LeVelle Moton
Ben Jacobson
Earl Grant
Nathan Davis (not enough of a sample?)
Mike Davis (retread problem?)
Nick McDevitt

Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

TRLeader

• Senior
  • When one door closes...open it again. It's a door!
Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 01:20:12 pm
If not Lutz....Sanchez is interesting.

I would love Sanchez to come in and get a little UNC Cheat going on here....maybe we get busted...maybe not. 
But, c'mon...to be able to reference our coach as...wait for it....Dirty Sanchez!?!?!

That would be wicked awesome!!!

Niner Nation wanted football...we got football
Niner Nation wanted Judy gone....Judy's gone
Niner Nation wanted the Tarhole sign gone from I85...the sign in gone

Name Change.......YOU'RE NEXT!!!!

49ER9ER

• Walk On
Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 02:18:42 pm
1) Bobby Lutz (has to make the shortlist)

Everybody else:
Steve Forbes
Joe Dooley
Tim Cluess
John Becker
LeVelle Moton
Ben Jacobson
Earl Grant
Nick McDevitt

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 03:35:44 pm
Bobby burnt lots of bridges on his way out along with showing an attitude that I am not sure we would to revisit.  I would like to see new blood in AD and coaches.

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 04:28:49 pm
If our new AD has to hire Lutz he/she has few contacts.
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 04:34:09 pm
My best bet is we'll hire someone we haven't heard of.  Not saying that's a bad thing.
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 05:20:52 pm

Everybody else:
Steve Forbes
Joe Dooley
Tim Cluess
John Becker
LeVelle Moton
Ben Jacobson
Earl Grant
Nick McDevitt
Ben Jacobson would never leave Northern Iowa for a program like this. Even if we were a top 4 cusa teams it is at best a lateral move.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 05:29:36 pm

Everybody else:
Steve Forbes
Joe Dooley
Tim Cluess
John Becker
LeVelle Moton
Ben Jacobson
Earl Grant
Nick McDevitt
Ben Jacobson would never leave Northern Iowa for a program like this. Even if we were a top 4 cusa teams it is at best a lateral move.

Thats where a new AD comes in.  The ability to sell a vision is something that Judy couldn't do.  IF and it is a big IF we can leverage our advantages and potential this could be a great job.  Any new AD taking the job is taking this because of a belief of where we can be.  If they can sell that vision to potential coaches, donors and businesses, we are poised to take off.
Mahna Mahna

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 10:18:12 pm
clt says we need a really good shooter who has never visited campus.

Alumni93

• Walk On
Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 10:29:59 pm
When Lutz was the coach,  the players always believed they could win.  They were never intimidated.  It didn't matter where or who they played.  They were prepared.  You always knew they were going to play good defense and Lutz would pull out some unique defensive scheme if needed.  Lutz would rarely sit down and would work as hard as the players. 

I'm still concerned how long this search is gonna drag on for an AD.  Best case scenario is they're gonna have to walk in off the streets and immediately make their first hire. 

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #46 on: January 29, 2018, 10:34:02 pm
New AD will already have good idea on a basketball coach.
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #47 on: January 29, 2018, 10:39:27 pm
When Lutz was the coach,  the players always believed they could win.  They were never intimidated.  It didn't matter where or who they played.  They were prepared.  You always knew they were going to play good defense and Lutz would pull out some unique defensive scheme if needed.  Lutz would rarely sit down and would work as hard as the players. 

I'm still concerned how long this search is gonna drag on for an AD.  Best case scenario is they're gonna have to walk in off the streets and immediately make their first hire.
Bookmark this post.  AD hired by wk1 of March. 

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 07:29:48 am
I just hope Turnkey has been proactive and has candidates ready to interview, and the candidates
get proactive in researching what needs to be done, so some action takes place before the
mass transfers and asking out of LOI's begins.

Make NN great again !

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 07:38:23 am
I just hope Turnkey has been proactive and has candidates ready to interview, and the candidates
get proactive in researching what needs to be done, so some action takes place before the
mass transfers and asking out of LOI's begins.

Make NN great again !

Part of the reason you hire a firm for hires is they already have contacts and a database.  It's why many schools use firms for coach openings too. Allows them to move at a quicker pace.

Remember how Judy liked to do everything herself? Spread resumes out on the kitchen floor and wine and dine the coach at outback?  Hopefully all of that is in the past. 
Mahna Mahna

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos