Author Topic: Serious list. Next 49er coach  (Read 12636 times)

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 07:50:35 am
I just hope Turnkey has been proactive and has candidates ready to interview, and the candidates
get proactive in researching what needs to be done, so some action takes place before the
mass transfers and asking out of LOI's begins.

Make NN great again !

Part of the reason you hire a firm for hires is they already have contacts and a database.  It's why many schools use firms for coach openings too. Allows them to move at a quicker pace.

Remember how Judy liked to do everything herself? Spread resumes out on the kitchen floor and wine and dine the coach at outback?  Hopefully all of that is in the past.
We good as long as Dubois listens to outsiders.  These guys know who the next 10 ADs are in waiting.

And the "resumes on my kitchen floor"
is something that depresses me lol.  Haunting.  How that flew as normal this day in age...

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 09:15:43 am
clt hopes this question is asked of potential AD candidates

Do you consider yourself a servant leader? And if not, do you aspire to be a servant leader?

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #52 on: January 30, 2018, 09:29:07 am
I just hope Turnkey has been proactive and has candidates ready to interview, and the candidates
get proactive in researching what needs to be done, so some action takes place before the
mass transfers and asking out of LOI's begins.

Make NN great again !
Odds are those kids ask out of LOI's no matter what. They aren't going to have any connection to the school. Could the new staff have the opportunity to recruit them, sure. But I'd imagine all 3 are released.

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #53 on: January 30, 2018, 09:36:45 am
We are good as long as search firm is given a successful format to choose from. These guys can get you whatever you want.  Hopefully what is presented to them as criteria is a successful model for us going forward. I have my doubts based on what has transpired under the CHP reign.
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #54 on: January 30, 2018, 09:58:45 am
We are good as long as search firm is given a successful format to choose from. These guys can get you whatever you want. Hopefully what is presented to them as criteria is a successful model for us going forward. I have my doubts based on what has transpired under the CHP reign.

This is my great fear also.  That what CHP outlines as the important items for our program are not the things which will allow us to have sustained success.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #55 on: January 30, 2018, 10:02:49 am
We are good as long as search firm is given a successful format to choose from. These guys can get you whatever you want. Hopefully what is presented to them as criteria is a successful model for us going forward. I have my doubts based on what has transpired under the CHP reign.

This is my great fear also.  That what CHP outlines as the important items for our program are not the things which will allow us to have sustained success.
Dubois is an academic and he's been distracted from that for MONTHS with this stuff. I fully believe he wants someone to lead athletics and he can focus back on academics. I believe the fanbases interests are going to be upheld here during the process and we are not going to see a Judy clone.

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #56 on: January 30, 2018, 10:04:45 am

DOBA.  Make no mistake all the garbage Dubois has stated the last decade about 17 sports, integrity, cusa soccer attendance, clean program, etc is coming from UNC telling Dubois that success of 49ers on field doesn't matter in his job. 

However, I am hoping we hit the perfect storm.  Anger, frustration, ridicule, and general time consumption Dubois has put into sports that last 3 months, then maybe he is ready for a real AD.  If Dubois is on his way out soon, maybe he makes a good hire for CHARLOTTE and not UNC, since he doesn't have to worry about his next decade of employment.  If Dubois had 20 more years to be in UNC system, he hires another cuck
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:07:46 am by metro »

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #57 on: January 30, 2018, 10:05:45 am

Dubois is an academic and he's been distracted from that for MONTHS with this stuff. I fully believe he wants someone to lead athletics and he can focus back on academics. I believe the fanbases interests are going to be upheld here during the process and we are not going to see a Judy clone.

On top of that let's remember that Judy was basically fired by Phil.  He felt pressure.  Probably from some donors and I imagine BOT members. He isn't going to want to screw this up.  I'm not positive it's gonna be a home run, but I do think what 2k said is right.  Phil wants this off his plate and more important he doesn't want big donors and BOT asking him about athletics.

I think he is gonna hire someone that SHOULD be able to get the job done.  With all hires though ya never know.
Mahna Mahna

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #58 on: January 30, 2018, 11:56:43 am
Bobby Lutz should not be considered for the HC position period. I think we can offer him a roll such as Senior Associate Athletics Director of Basketball. It should end there, I have respect for what Bobby did during his time here, know hes a great guy and Niner, and I sure miss being able to talk with him at Lutz Live. But taking Bobby is bunting to get on base, and we need a home run.

1) Tom Crean: Can recruit and dug Indiana out of an awful hole. His fans turned on him due to lack of Final Fours, our expectations are not that high. He will probably go after UConn job.
2) Steve Forbes: Rolling through the SoCon the last two seasons, he can probably get a better job than Charlotte though.
3) Nick McDevitt: Been stable at Asheville, always one of Top 2-3 teams
4) Jon Scheyer: top candidate with no HC experience, apparently great recruiter for Coach K. His name, as a player, might mean enough to keep the players in Charlotte.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

mojoniner

• Freshman
Reply #59 on: January 30, 2018, 12:24:46 pm
Bobby Lutz should not be considered for the HC position period. I think we can offer him a roll such as Senior Associate Athletics Director of Basketball. It should end there, I have respect for what Bobby did during his time here, know hes a great guy and Niner, and I sure miss being able to talk with him at Lutz Live. But taking Bobby is bunting to get on base, and we need a home run.

1) Tom Crean: Can recruit and dug Indiana out of an awful hole. His fans turned on him due to lack of Final Fours, our expectations are not that high. He will probably go after UConn job.
2) Steve Forbes: Rolling through the SoCon the last two seasons, he can probably get a better job than Charlotte though.
4) Jon Scheyer: top candidate with no HC experience, apparently great recruiter for Coach K. His name, as a player, might mean enough to keep the players in Charlotte.

I believe Capel is the big recruiter at Duke.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #60 on: January 30, 2018, 12:46:42 pm

I believe Capel is the big recruiter at Duke.

I'm aware of this, I would not object to Capel, but he has already flamed out as a head coach. I cut my list off at four because I was done pooping. He would be in the Top Ten.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #61 on: January 30, 2018, 01:09:32 pm
This would be lowest salary Crean had in 20 years.  I'd take him but seems unlikely.  No way I work for half my rate 13 years ago (assuming our new coach gets 750k)

https://marquettewire.org/2439379/tribune/tribune-news/crean-signs-contract-extension/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:14:37 pm by metro »

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #62 on: January 30, 2018, 02:00:02 pm
This would be lowest salary Crean had in 20 years.  I'd take him but seems unlikely.  No way I work for half my rate 13 years ago (assuming our new coach gets 750k)

https://marquettewire.org/2439379/tribune/tribune-news/crean-signs-contract-extension/
probably just depends on other opportunities and how much he wants to be a head coach.  If he doesn't have any other prospects of being a head coach he may not care. It's not like he absolutely needs the money.

He's a long shot at best, but id lpve ro have him. I could see him turning things around quickly like Stansbury at wku (though we are far worse than they were when they hired him).

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #63 on: January 30, 2018, 02:09:55 pm
Maybe our new AD will let NNN decide the who the next coach is.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #64 on: January 30, 2018, 03:08:52 pm

probably just depends on other opportunities and how much he wants to be a head coach.  If he doesn't have any other prospects of being a head coach he may not care. It's not like he absolutely needs the money.

He's a long shot at best, but id lpve ro have him. I could see him turning things around quickly like Stansbury at wku (though we are far worse than they were when they hired him).

Not a big Crean fan, but he would probably do well AND he probably would also remember how great an atmosphere that Halton Arena CAN have-----from those years visiting with Marquette.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #65 on: January 30, 2018, 03:14:43 pm
clt says crean is great on pardon my take.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #66 on: February 01, 2018, 11:58:03 am
I know I shared my candidates in a post earlier, but here's a write up on my thoughts:  https://agent49.net/mbb-coaching-candidates-v1/

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #67 on: February 03, 2018, 03:03:55 pm
I add coach k. He will be available when scheyer takes over after today's loss.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
#unc-CHeatingPays

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #69 on: February 03, 2018, 04:49:05 pm
https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/958468276018929664

That Twitter acct just lost every oz of cred.  Of Odom returns holy hell....

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #70 on: February 03, 2018, 06:03:33 pm
https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/958468276018929664

That Twitter acct just lost every oz of cred.  Of Odom returns holy hell....

Yeah because since Odam left Charlotte he has only coached teams to above .500 records.  By the way UMBC had combined for a total of 41 wins in the seven season prior to his arrival last year. 

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #71 on: February 03, 2018, 06:36:21 pm
Odom was coach but Major was still running the show. He has proven he can win and he proved as an assistant he could recruit.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #72 on: February 03, 2018, 06:39:14 pm
If our big answer is to hire UMBCs coach, then why did we even fire Judy?

Nothing against Odom, but we need a serious turnaround, not another hopeful reach. We could have kept Odom before.

That Twitter account is preaching the same low hanging fruit that got us where we are now. We need a generational hire. At minimum we need Jeff Mullins 2.0.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #73 on: February 03, 2018, 07:31:55 pm
clt says he should get a a call.

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #74 on: February 03, 2018, 08:36:24 pm
If our big answer is to hire UMBCs coach, then why did we even fire Judy?

Nothing against Odom, but we need a serious turnaround, not another hopeful reach. We could have kept Odom before.

That Twitter account is preaching the same low hanging fruit that got us where we are now. We need a generational hire. At minimum we need Jeff Mullins 2.0.

Interesting you could argue that Price was an attempt at Mullins.  Former NBA player without NCAA head coaching experience.  What everyone should be wanting is a coach who has some experience at recruiting and coaching with some success.  Who cares what their name is if they have a decent track record that is better than throwing a dart at a board and hoping it sticks on some coach.

By the way UMBC isn't that much below the other levels of schools in Conference USA other than we might would pay him a bit more.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos