Author Topic: Serious list. Next 49er coach  (Read 12635 times)

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #175 on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:42 pm
I've never seen what everyone else does in Davis. I think he is a solid player- definitely a starter on most G5 teams and maybe half of the P5 teams out there. But give me P Henry over Davis any day of the week. Only thing Davis has over Henry is shooting.

The team with more points traditionally wins the game.

Lol.  Yeah, that shooting thing is kind of important.

So is stopping another person

NLP49

• Administrator
  • Walk On
Reply #176 on: February 14, 2018, 08:39:35 am
Davis's defense is about the worst I've ever seen. But we've had few players who have ever gotten as hot as Davis can or finish at the rim like can.
There's some good, there's some bad. As a guy who's been here three years I'd love to see what a new coach can do with him him but if he wants to transfer and sit a year to play a year that's the breaks.

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #177 on: February 14, 2018, 09:24:43 am
Davis's defense is about the worst I've ever seen. But we've had few players who have ever gotten as hot as Davis can or finish at the rim like can.
There's some good, there's some bad. As a guy who's been here three years I'd love to see what a new coach can do with him him but if he wants to transfer and sit a year to play a year that's the breaks.

The things I notice with Davis on defense are he overplays too much, is not the quickest defender, and at times just seems to be conserving energy.  I have wondered at times if he didn't have to do so much on offense, and his minutes were cut to around 28-30 would he be a better defender.  The question I always wonder is he lazy on defense or is some of his defensive issues caused by the failures as a whole on the team.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #178 on: February 14, 2018, 10:32:48 am
I'm assuming the worst is Ajukwa. He's literally the worst defender I've seen in my 17 years following the program. On or off the ball, I'd love to see the ppg he gives up, easily 20+.

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #179 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:46 am
AMEN !!!!!

Jon's problems are weak lazy passes and losing to bal dribble driving.
Either these guys around him just aren't that smart, or the coaches have them so damn confused on what they're supposed to be doing, that they're afraid to do anything.
A Dub is the only only that crashes the glass.....everyone else stands and watched or heads down court.
Ajukwa is a waste of a scholarship.
And Hazlem has shown a few flashes of having a low post game, but the perimeter game allows teams to sink in on him and Milos.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #180 on: February 14, 2018, 11:44:55 am
I'm assuming the worst is Ajukwa. He's literally the worst defender I've seen in my 17 years following the program. On or off the ball, I'd love to see the ppg he gives up, easily 20+.

Ajukwa is the worst defender I have ever seen in a Niner uniform since I started following the program in 1990.   The fact he gets major minutes tells you all you need to know about our approach to defense.  Thatís on the coaches.
Mahna Mahna

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #181 on: February 14, 2018, 01:44:27 pm

Ajukwa is the worst defender I have ever seen in a Niner uniform since I started following the program in 1990.   The fact he gets major minutes tells you all you need to know about our approach to defense.  Thatís on the coaches.
Even you, a terrible judge of talent, can see how bad he is.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #182 on: February 14, 2018, 01:51:09 pm
I agree.  Ajukwa is a worse defender/minutes played than Roney White.  :D

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #183 on: February 14, 2018, 01:53:41 pm

Even you, a terrible judge of talent, can see how bad he is.
I miss telling us how awesome Judy is.  Tell us some more.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #184 on: February 14, 2018, 02:13:58 pm
I've never seen what everyone else does in Davis. I think he is a solid player- definitely a starter on most G5 teams and maybe half of the P5 teams out there. But give me P Henry over Davis any day of the week. Only thing Davis has over Henry is shooting.

It's all important.  Screening, shooting, rebounding, passing, defense.  But generally speaking, scoring is at the top of the list.

Have to go back to Bill Russell, where the MVP was also the best defender in the NBA?

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #185 on: February 14, 2018, 02:25:05 pm

It's all important.  Screening, shooting, rebounding, passing, defense.  But generally speaking, scoring is at the top of the list.

Have to go back to Bill Russell, where the MVP was also the best defender in the NBA?

Actually I believe Jordan, Olajuwon, David Robinson all won the MVP and Defensive player of the year in the same year. 

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #186 on: February 14, 2018, 03:59:35 pm
Both of them drive (or drove ) me crazy. Henry constantly out of position going for the "home run" steal. Davis trying to do too much on the offensive end. Both guys have talent, though.

CivilNiner

• Walk On
Reply #187 on: February 14, 2018, 07:27:32 pm

Good point. Thats why westbrook won over harden last year.

Henry is a better defender, rebounder, passer, and chemistry/hustle player. They are/were both great players and I think it's close. But I've just never understood all the praise for Davis as an NBA talent. I hope he makes it but I don't see it with his game today.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • When one door closes...open it again. It's a door!
Reply #188 on: February 14, 2018, 07:36:21 pm
Henry is a better defender, rebounder, passer, and chemistry/hustle player. They are/were both great players and I think it's close. But I've just never understood all the praise for Davis as an NBA talent. I hope he makes it but I don't see it with his game today.

I'd take P. Henry all day every day over Davis.  The only thing Jon can do better than P. Henry is shoot...sometimes....and only seems to score well when you don't gameplan for him.  Henry could contribute in a lot of ways and made his presence felt even when he wasn't scoring.

I agree with the sentiment that I'm not sure what all the NBA hype was based on recently with Davis.  If he could create his own shot and penetrate at an NBA level....CUSA level competition would not be able to make him look this bad even with double teams.  He's good...and he's the best we've got right now...but he's nothing next level "special" at all.
Niner Nation wanted football...we got football
Niner Nation wanted Judy gone....Judy's gone
Niner Nation wanted the Tarhole sign gone from I85...the sign in gone

Name Change.......YOU'RE NEXT!!!!

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #189 on: February 15, 2018, 10:24:03 am

I'd take P. Henry all day every day over Davis.  The only thing Jon can do better than P. Henry is shoot...sometimes....and only seems to score well when you don't gameplan for him.  Henry could contribute in a lot of ways and made his presence felt even when he wasn't scoring.

I agree with the sentiment that I'm not sure what all the NBA hype was based on recently with Davis.  If he could create his own shot and penetrate at an NBA level....CUSA level competition would not be able to make him look this bad even with double teams.  He's good...and he's the best we've got right now...but he's nothing next level "special" at all.

Henry was a better defender, and Davis is better offensively.  Henry was going to compete every minute of every game, and Davis has sometimes looked disinterested early on this season, but I think that's because he was struggling at the start of the season.  Henry didn't really get a shot at the next level because he was not able to show that he would be able to score consistently at the next level.  Davis, if he is guarded one on one, can get to the basket generally whenever he wants, but is usually doubled.  His shot is inconsistent, and I believe he needs another year of college, but do think he can play at the next level (NBA).

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #190 on: February 15, 2018, 11:20:31 am
Tremendous interview here with Andy Kennedy:  https://twitter.com/TweetsByHarris/status/963638352120606721

NinerT

• Walk On
Reply #191 on: February 15, 2018, 11:26:35 am
I think they had contrasting styles. Henry was a absolute pitbull defender, whereas Davis at times looks disinterested. I actually would have loved seeing them play together. I think Davis playing 40 min a game, along with having no one else who can get the ball up the court plays a factor in his turnovers as well as the lack of defense. Henry played an avg of 28-30 min a game with better players. I liked them both for different reasons. Far as Davis being a pro, I think remains to be seen. Although he does have another year left. Both talented players in there own right!

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #192 on: February 15, 2018, 11:41:18 am
So coaches.

It sounds like Kennedy would be a fairly popular hire, but I'm not sure he'll still be around when the new AD is ready to make a move.  Obviously this will be first priority, but it will still be a few months after the season, I think, before we announce a hire.  With that said, Tom Crean, maybe? 

From the "off the beaten path" club:
Nate Oats
TJ Otzelberger
Craig Smith
Bob Marlin (too old?)
John Becker (would love to have him, but probably won't leave)

Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #193 on: February 15, 2018, 11:45:11 am
So coaches.

It sounds like Kennedy would be a fairly popular hire, but I'm not sure he'll still be around when the new AD is ready to make a move.  Obviously this will be first priority, but it will still be a few months after the season, I think, before we announce a hire.  With that said, Tom Crean, maybe? 

From the "off the beaten path" club:
Nate Oats
TJ Otzelberger
Craig Smith
Bob Marlin (too old?)
John Becker (would love to have him, but probably won't leave)

We are going to be smack in the middle of the March madness of coach hires/fires.  New AD will be here and his 1st priority (just my gut)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #194 on: February 15, 2018, 11:46:43 am
New AD will be here in time to facilitate the new MBB hiring during the normal cycle for MBB.

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #195 on: February 15, 2018, 11:52:28 am
New AD will be here in time to facilitate the new MBB hiring during the normal cycle for MBB.
March 11.  NCAA starts.  3 weeks  :)

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #196 on: February 15, 2018, 11:55:07 am

Henry was a better defender, and Davis is better offensively.  Henry was going to compete every minute of every game, and Davis has sometimes looked disinterested early on this season, but I think that's because he was struggling at the start of the season.  Henry didn't really get a shot at the next level because he was not able to show that he would be able to score consistently at the next level.  Davis, if he is guarded one on one, can get to the basket generally whenever he wants, but is usually doubled.  His shot is inconsistent, and I believe he needs another year of college, but do think he can play at the next level (NBA).

I was never that high on P.  His defense was always based on gambling and I felt like he could have been a much better leader.  With that said rarely did you question his effort.  JD I also have not been as high on as others, I think he is a really good player, but I never really bought into the NBA talk.  Right or wrong - in my mind if you are NBA good, especially in this conference, you should be able to get your team finishing in the top half of the league.  I guess I see both guys as flawed players, who probably could have benefited from better coaching and better supporting casts.  They both had limitations in their games, but they both would have either been starting or playing quality minutes at the majority of other D1 programs. 

Our issue hasn't been the Ps or JDs of our program over the last decade.  It has been the rest of the cast and the person calling the shots.  With a new guy coming in we have a chance to reset the program - again.  This hire has to be the right guy, the program has both feet in the grave and dirt is being shoveled on us.  We really can't afford the new AD to miss on this guy.
Mahna Mahna

NLP49

• Administrator
  • Walk On
Reply #197 on: February 15, 2018, 12:45:21 pm
Good talk.

Now that Andy Kennedy is available I'd give him serious consideration. I put him well above Tom Crean, personally.

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #198 on: February 15, 2018, 04:39:00 pm
I think our next coach will already have connections to new AD.
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #199 on: February 15, 2018, 04:44:02 pm
I think our next coach will already have connections to new AD.
Agreed, it's all about who do you know.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos