Author Topic: Contract with TurnKey  (Read 3604 times)

winsel1081

• Walk On
Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 09:51:07 am
Two things that donít jive.

1.  What we pay is not holding us back and is acceptable.

2.  Itís going to be very hard to rebuild basketball with P5 system.

I think by the pay they are meaning that more money to a coach or AD doesn't equal success.  It is more about finding the right person not how much you can pay a coach.  It might be easier to entice certain coaches the more money you can offer, but that will never guarantee that coach or AD is a success.

As for the difficulty in rebuilding basketball that reference is to what you can sell to recruits.  Hence the less marquee games a school can schedule the harder it can be to get some recruits.  The question I would have had for them would have been what are you defining as a successful rebuild.  At this point finishing with a winning record would be quite a feat for the next coach to pull off within the first three years.  I don't think the P5 changes would only have a very minimal effect on that part of the rebuild.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 09:58:15 am

The challenge with P5 is that with those leagues growing the available OOC games is shrinking as they expand conference schedules.  That puts teams in lesser leagues in a challenging spot as they need those marquee OOC games for their NCAA resume.  Thatís the challenge.
Mahna Mahna

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 10:26:53 am

I think by the pay they are meaning that more money to a coach or AD doesn't equal success.  It is more about finding the right person not how much you can pay a coach.  It might be easier to entice certain coaches the more money you can offer, but that will never guarantee that coach or AD is a success.

As for the difficulty in rebuilding basketball that reference is to what you can sell to recruits.  Hence the less marquee games a school can schedule the harder it can be to get some recruits.  The question I would have had for them would have been what are you defining as a successful rebuild.  At this point finishing with a winning record would be quite a feat for the next coach to pull off within the first three years.  I don't think the P5 changes would only have a very minimal effect on that part of the rebuild.

Consultantís position on the rebuild was with basketball the numbers are lower.  A few transfers/jucos/impact freshman and you can flip a team quickly.  Gotta get right coach for that.

With football, even with the right coach the sheer number of players to turn over makes the quick turn around a bigger challenge.

Also from a budget point of view I think he was saying what we pay is competitive for where we are.  It was not a statement that what we pay is competitive with Bama.  He did acknowledge that the money gap between top P5 schools and mid majors keeps growing.  Which took us down the fund raising discussion and what a terrible job we do.
Mahna Mahna

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 11:08:58 am

Consultantís position on the rebuild was with basketball the numbers are lower.  A few transfers/jucos/impact freshman and you can flip a team quickly.  Gotta get right coach for that.

With football, even with the right coach the sheer number of players to turn over makes the quick turn around a bigger challenge.

Also from a budget point of view I think he was saying what we pay is competitive for where we are.  It was not a statement that what we pay is competitive with Bama.  He did acknowledge that the money gap between top P5 schools and mid majors keeps growing.  Which took us down the fund raising discussion and what a terrible job we do.

For football we arenít shooting for the stars. We want to play in some bowl games and not be a complete embarrassment every time we take the field. Longer term start to replicate ECU and UCF.

Basketball we want to be a conference contender and make the post season every other year. We should continue to pursue Cincinnati level success.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:12:11 am by JaMiNNiNeR »

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 11:18:36 am
Heís right football can be built with money we are paying, but basketball we need to pay more to get out of this mess. We arenít happy with top 125
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 11:38:48 am
Heís right football can be built with money we are paying, but basketball we need to pay more to get out of this mess. We arenít happy with top 125

Our total all in package isnít bad and when we consider we keep paying two coaches we have the resources to pay very well if we can stop paying 2.  Part of the reason why firing Price was such a terrible move.

Basically the consultant was saying our budget and financial resources are good enough to win in this league, do that and the resources will grow to step up.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:38:01 pm by NinerWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 11:47:55 am

Our total all in package isnít bad and when we consider we keep paying two coaches we have the resources to pay very well if we can stop paying 2.  Part of the reason why firing Price was such a terrible move.

Basically the consultant was saying out budget and financial reaources are good enough to win in this league, so that and the resources will grow to step up.
Also I think key for everyone to keep in mind. The more you win, the more money you bring in. If we start winning 4-7 games every year in football and making bowl games the budget will grow and possibly lead to less student fees because people are donating more, selling more tickets/merchandise, etc etc.

I will say I do like the timetable, to have an AD in place by 4/1. That is huge for the basketball hire and also give the new AD a chance to evaluate football spring practice and kind of see what we are working with.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Head of Barstool 49ers, follow us on twitter and Instagram @barstool49ers

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 11:56:54 am

Kilometerpete

• Walk On
Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 04:48:39 pm
To the alumni that are taking time to talk to Turnkey thank you that is a lot on your shoulders. I do not know if yall meet again. I am sure yall know what yall are looking for in the new AD but if you havent heard of the new Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon he is the type of persona in my opinion we need. The hurricanes are in the midst of the longest playoff drought at 8 years and have never been a "hockey town" but he is doing a lot of things to help.
1. He is open and telling fans his goals and plans. We have discussed we need an AD to be open
2. butts in seats, he sold lower level seats for dirt cheap to increase fan experience. aka lower ticket prices than davidson
3. he changed the entrance for the players to make it more intimidating. aka new traditions or start 49er football traditions
4. my personal favorite he is embracing the roots and playing brass bonanza and selling whalers apparel. aka smoking norm aka a CORNBREAD MAXWELL jersey
he is also seen with fans and not in some box somewhere. Thought i would share my opinion. Maybe one of yall will get something out of this, if not welp i tried.

PS Track team has conference championships this week

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 05:01:29 pm
To the alumni that are taking time to talk to Turnkey thank you that is a lot on your shoulders. I do not know if yall meet again. I am sure yall know what yall are looking for in the new AD but if you havent heard of the new Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon he is the type of persona in my opinion we need. The hurricanes are in the midst of the longest playoff drought at 8 years and have never been a "hockey town" but he is doing a lot of things to help.
1. He is open and telling fans his goals and plans. We have discussed we need an AD to be open
2. butts in seats, he sold lower level seats for dirt cheap to increase fan experience. aka lower ticket prices than davidson
3. he changed the entrance for the players to make it more intimidating. aka new traditions or start 49er football traditions
4. my personal favorite he is embracing the roots and playing brass bonanza and selling whalers apparel. aka smoking norm aka a CORNBREAD MAXWELL jersey
he is also seen with fans and not in some box somewhere. Thought i would share my opinion. Maybe one of yall will get something out of this, if not welp i tried.

This. Every word. And put the students back in 104.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 01:30:48 pm

Students are in 104, but you have to be a student 49er Club member to sit there.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Head of Barstool 49ers, follow us on twitter and Instagram @barstool49ers

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 01:59:41 pm

Students are in 104, but you have to be a student 49er Club member to sit there.

clt says that isn't working.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 04:37:18 pm
Here is the job listing for University of North Carolina Ė Charlotte | Director of Athletics

http://turnkeysearch.com/2018/02/12/university-of-north-carolina-charlotte-director-of-athletics-charlotte-nc/

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 05:47:02 pm
honesty and humility including constant vigilance and compliance with the rules;

#humbleservant
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:14:53 pm by ghostofclt »

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 05:55:35 pm
honesty and humility including constant vigilance and compliance with the rules;
how about our Chancellor Dubois find some humility

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 07:59:40 pm
How about building winning teams?  How many Alabama football seniors will graduate this year?  No one but their mama cares, but everyone cares about how many get drafted.  How many people saw the video of Big Larry getting his diploma and how many saw the video of him getting drafted from his living room?  Degrees should be personal goals and Championships should be AD goals.  A championship team with a 90% graduation rate is a bonus, but it is also a Unicorn, the tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 09:50:41 pm
Here is the job listing for University of North Carolina Ė Charlotte | Director of Athletics

http://turnkeysearch.com/2018/02/12/university-of-north-carolina-charlotte-director-of-athletics-charlotte-nc/

I suspect this started as a Turnkey template and they worked with Charlotte to make it ours.

Assessment: Develops and implements a rigorous evaluation process for assessing the competitive excellence, academic success, and administrative integrity of each of the Universityís intercollegiate athletic programs and for making such adjustments in personnel or budgetary support as may be necessary.

The parts I underlined are some of the most interesting.  Assuming that nothing went into this that we did not sign off on, this would represent a different approach.  I can think of a few coaches that should be concerned by this.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:52:22 pm by Nugget »
#unc-CHeatingPays

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #42 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:14 pm

How many of you clicked the "Apply Now" button and completed the application???  As a long-time member of this board and armed with the insights so eloquently expressed, my application is strong!

metro

• Sophomore
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 02:10:06 pm

How many of you clicked the "Apply Now" button and completed the application???  As a long-time member of this board and armed with the insights so eloquently expressed, my application is strong!
Only issue with this job....worst boss in NCAA

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 03:42:56 pm

Only issue with this job....worst boss in NCAA

A shitty day as athletic director is still better than a great day doing the boring s*** I do!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #45 on: February 15, 2018, 05:40:35 pm

I thought about it but my cover letter game is weak.

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 06:35:22 pm
The search resume should be very simple..."We need the EXACT OPPOSITE of prior A.D.

Wish I could get over it.I know it's not healthy or productive...But I still wish Judy was " Barred for life" from campus...from athletic events....from any mention within the state of N.C.....Ok...I feel a little better now.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos