Author Topic: 49er Club cuts benefits  (Read 3958 times)

gamer

• Senior
on: January 03, 2005, 08:27:44 am
From what I have read, the 49er club will be offering less to the members next year. No pregame meal for Green Jacket members, and no printed copy of the Nugget. I have no concern with what the Green Jacket members recieve, but there is a related problem here. In a thriving buisness or charity, or whatever you relate to, the idea is to grow, to take in more money, and to provide better services. Things are not as they should be when the people who are supporting the club are recieving less benefits for more money. Some changes are in order to get the 49er club back on the right track.
The greatest boon in the popularity of Chapel Hill sports was the advent of cash registers that automatically figure change.

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 08:42:10 am
The pre-game meals will still be held, but the members who give between $1500-$3000 will have to buy a $75/per person season meal ticket.  I suppose those giving over $3000 will still recieve the meal with no additional cost.  The expense involved in feeding folks is enourmous, and the club is trying to maintain its profit margin so the money can be used where it is intended instead of on overhead.  $75 for 14-15 meals like those that are served is still a good deal.  I would gladly pay that to eat if they would allow me.

The Gold Nugget is worthless for anyone who halfway pays attention to our sports teams.  The information is 1-2 months old by the time you get a copy of it.  Having an online version will allow for a cost savings and for more up-to-date information.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 08:58:06 am
Originally posted by gamer@Jan 3 2005, 08:33 AM
From what I have read, the 49er club will be offering less to the members next year. No pregame meal for Green Jacket members, and no printed copy of the Nugget. I have no concern with what the Green Jacket members recieve, but there is a related problem here. In a thriving buisness or charity, or whatever you relate to, the idea is to grow, to take in more money, and to provide better services. Things are not as they should be when the people who are supporting the club are recieving less benefits for more money. Some changes are in order to get the 49er club back on the right track.
Ok.  The gamer scam is over.  There's no way he's a student.  The information about the 49er club was mailed out last week and went to 49er club members only.  Sounds more like he's a disgruntled alum to me.

While you're at it, can you print the entire letter that explains how costs of the athletic program have skyrocketed over the past 5 years.

jcl49er

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 09:01:08 am
Originally posted by X-49er@Jan 3 2005, 08:48 AM
The Gold Nugget is worthless for anyone who halfway pays attention to our sports teams.  The information is 1-2 months old by the time you get a copy of it.  Having an online version will allow for a cost savings and for more up-to-date information.
Couldn't agree more.  I have no problem admitting that my copy goes straight from the mailbox to the trash can after very briefly thumbing it through it, while basically just checking out the photos.  It's not cheap producing/mailing out literature like that and I think it's a smart move to go to an online version.

And since I'm poor, the other change (with pregame meals) won't affect me.

But with that said, I understand how much the cost of athletic programs increases over time and I'm okay with any changes they deem necessary to save some money or use the money in more beneficial ways.
Quote from: Emerson
What you do is so loud that I cannot hear what you say.

NormanNiner

• Junior
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 09:09:38 am
-_-

NLP

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 09:34:44 am
Here's my succinct thoughts on gamer's little obsession:

The cause >> The perks

gamer

• Senior
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 08:03:42 am
Okay, so the stuff they give isn't that good. The club should do something to bring in more members and money. Taking benes away isn't going to help that much if the stuff is just junk anyway.
The greatest boon in the popularity of Chapel Hill sports was the advent of cash registers that automatically figure change.

X-49er

• Head Coach
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 08:21:45 am
Are you a member Gamer?
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

gamer

• Senior
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 08:27:24 am
Read Lefty's post. He wouldn't mislead you, would he?

HP49er

• Chancellor
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 08:29:55 am
At the risk of making several posters upset here, not sending out media guides to everyone contributing $500+ should provide for at least two scholarships.  That's probably about $10 per member receiving one, considering the cost of printing and postage.  I'm not sure how many members there are at those levels since I don't have a game program nearby.
WDKWWDK

X-49er

• Head Coach
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 08:31:34 am
Read Lefty's post. He wouldn't mislead you, would he?

That still doesn't answer my question.  Even if you are a disgruntled alum, you aren't necessarily a 49er Club member.  You could have found out the info from a friend or fellow season ticket holder.

X-49er

• Head Coach
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 08:38:53 am
At the risk of making several posters upset here, not sending out media guides to everyone contributing $500+ should provide for at least two scholarships. That's probably about $10 per member receiving one, considering the cost of printing and postage. I'm not sure how many members there are at those levels since I don't have a game program nearby.

It wouldn't upset me, so long as I knew that was the reason I didn't get mine.  I'm in the range you proposed for not giving the media guides to, which currently do get one.  If they need to make cuts, make them.  Just let everybody know the reason so they don't feel as if they're getting shorted.  I just figured that in seasons past when I didn't get mine that somebody forgot or skipped me on the list.

gamer

• Senior
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 08:42:52 am
Originally posted by HP49er@Jan 4 2005, 09:35 AM
At the risk of making several posters upset here, not sending out media guides to everyone contributing $500+ should provide for at least two scholarships.
I understand that not sending out the programs will help, (although two scholarships sounds very optomistic) but the point is that providing less is not the way for a thriving buisness to operate. The club should be attracting new members and bringing in more money at least as fast as it spends it.

gamer

• Senior
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 08:54:33 am
Originally posted by X-49er@Jan 4 2005, 09:44 AM
Just let everybody know the reason so they don't feel as if they're getting shorted.  I just figured that in seasons past when I didn't get mine that somebody forgot or skipped me on the list.
 Thats a good point, and several weeks ago there was a thread on why some members hadn't gotten their programs. Even as we were discussing it, even as Lefty was calling for the moderators to do something about me for making multiple posts on the subject the programs arrived and were sent out. The same  was essentially true for the other bennies that went out late.
 I am not saying this was any more than a coincidence, but if so would it have been too expensive or difficult for the 49er club to send a note saying things were late arriving and would be sent out soon?

HP49er

• Chancellor
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 09:05:06 am
gamer, there was discusussion of where the media guides were on this board, and in fact they were late in arriving ffrom the printers so yes it was coincidence.  They were not available to the media at the LBSU game.  I think they did a pretty decent job in getting them sent out as soon as they arrived, which if I recall, cost about $3.50 each to mail.
WDKWWDK

LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 09:22:08 am
Gamer, just so we're clear.  Are you a student or 49er club member?

NormanNiner

• Junior
Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 11:13:42 am
Originally posted by LeftyNiner@Jan 4 2005, 09:28 AM
Gamer, just so we're clear.  Are you a student or 49er club member?
Neither.

gamer

• Senior
Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 12:50:41 pm
Originally posted by NormanNiner+Jan 4 2005, 12:19 PM-->
QUOTE (NormanNiner @ Jan 4 2005, 12:19 PM)
\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
<' + '/div>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t