Author Topic: The Braves Are Not Going to the Playoffs  (Read 14320 times)

Pork Chop

• Senior
on: September 14, 2010, 08:05:12 pm
I'll be sure to bump this thread back up in early October.

Hudson has run out of gas.  The rest of the starting rotation has gotten significantly worse.  Pitching doesn't right itself in September.

The bats are good and the bullpen is good.  However, the juggernauts of Philly and Colorado are going to win far too many games this month for Atlanta to keep pace. 

Philly's big 3 starters will start for the Atlanta series Sep 20-22.  I will be in attendance for game 2!  The Fightins' should be a game or two up going into that series.  After that series Philly will be 2-5 games ahead of Atlanta.  The series in Atlanta at the end of the season will not be played for the division.  Philly will have clinched.  Atlanta will be playing for it's Wild Card Life.

All that's needed to complete this very probable senario is for San Francisco and/or San Diego to play well.   The West is getting the Wild Card.

So, good job this year, Bravos.  Sorry it just has to end with such a pathetic whimper.
"You sir are the greatest poster ever." - NLP

"I don't know if the ban stick is big enough to take the 'Chop man down." - Niner Advocate

"Pork Chop's 'stache deserves its own thread." - Hooner49

Two Millionth Fan at a home 49er basketball game 11/24/2003

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:39:05 pm
Phillies 3 starters will be tough in the playoffs.  Braves have a chance, I think the Padres are gone.  I think wildcard will be Braves or Rockies/SF. 

I would pick SF for the division and wildcard will come down to the wire.  I'm torn, Asheville's Minor league squad is a Rockie affiliate so I've seen lots of the guys come through, but I still like the Braves.
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

Jersey Niner32

• Sophomore
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:06:50 pm
One of the best threads ever.
Niner Basketball
-The team that is always one year away (maybe this year will be it? :49ers:)
:49ers:

"Jersey Niner has good taste in one of his professional sports franchises.  He gets my vote."  -Pork Chop

Ruckus42

• Junior
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:20:16 pm
I'm a big braves fan, but I'm afraid you may be right. It isn't over just yet. I said from day 1 that the Phils would win the East, however, I think the Braves can still get the wildcard. They don't have near the lineup that the Phillies have. I  thought the Phils had the best team in the NL from day 1 and now that they have Oswalt to go with Halladay I completely feel that theyre the team to beat in the NL.
Always Bringin Da Ruckus!!

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:25:26 pm
Phillies' front office is basically a bunch of idiots though.  Signed Halladay for more than they could have kept Cliff Lee for, I didn't get that.
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:30:48 pm
I'll be sure to bump this thread back up in early October.

Hudson has run out of gas.  The rest of the starting rotation has gotten significantly worse.  Pitching doesn't right itself in September.

The bats are good and the bullpen is good.  However, the juggernauts of Philly and Colorado are going to win far too many games this month for Atlanta to keep pace. 

Philly's big 3 starters will start for the Atlanta series Sep 20-22.  I will be in attendance for game 2!  The Fightins' should be a game or two up going into that series.  After that series Philly will be 2-5 games ahead of Atlanta.  The series in Atlanta at the end of the season will not be played for the division.  Philly will have clinched.  Atlanta will be playing for it's Wild Card Life.

All that's needed to complete this very probable senario is for San Francisco and/or San Diego to play well.   The West is getting the Wild Card.

So, good job this year, Bravos.  Sorry it just has to end with such a pathetic whimper.

Just like a Philly fan to start running their mouth after they finally get to the top of the NL East.  Better hope your predictions come true Nostradamus, or you're going to get a lot of crow to munch on.   :p
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

Pork Chop

• Senior
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:08 pm
How's Cliff Lee doing now?

Amaro, the Phillies' GM is new, and acknowledged his error.  Lee would've demanded Sabathia to stay in Philly.  So it may have actually been cheaper to get Oswalt.  Houston did chip in some money.  I wasn't nearly as upset about this as were many of the fans.  I feel his biggest gaff was signing Pedro Martinez last year.

"I don't know if the ban stick is big enough to take the 'Chop man down." - Niner Advocate

Pork Chop

• Senior
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:54 pm
I've been running my mouth to Brave fan friends all year.  This is just the first time I've done it on NNN.

NLP

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:37:23 pm
Go Redlegs.

X-49er

• Head Coach
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:39:05 pm
How's Cliff Lee doing now?

He just brought the defending World Champs batting order to a grinding halt, which is why the Rangers traded for him.  He's better than Oswalt and Hamels.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2010_09_12_nyamlb_texmlb_1

I've been running my mouth to Brave fan friends all year.  This is just the first time I've done it on NNN.

Just don't throw up on anyone, please.   :p
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

Pork Chop

• Senior
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:45:16 pm
3-5 since joining Texas with an ERA around 4.25

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 09:51:27 pm
I'm glad the Braves are in the league.  They're the only team my Bucs can win 2 of 3 from.

FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

X-49er

• Head Coach
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 10:08:59 pm
3-5 since joining Texas with an ERA around 4.25

Yes, and pitching with a sore shoulder prior to Sunday.

I'm glad the Braves are in the league.  They're the only team my Bucs can win 2 of 3 from.

This - is why the Braves can't seem to get over the hump.  They lose 2-3 to a team 30+games under .500.  Just got shut out by the Nats and their 50-year-old pitcher.

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 10:29:29 pm
Obviously Pork Chop doesn't know Roy Oswalt's career ERA numbers vs. Atlanta.

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:33 pm
whooo go Phillies!!! god I hate the Braves.

This just in: 2 games up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:35:36 pm by Universal Niner »
“All that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universal”

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 10:55:41 pm
Go Cubs!!!

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 08:50:51 am
The Braves were dead to me once Ron Gant was no longer there.  Put a fork or tomahawk (sp?) in them, they are finished.

Ron Gant should un-retire.

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 09:33:44 am
If you look back throughout the years generally 91-93 wins get's you in the playoffs, there are exceptions but this is generally the case. If they play 500 ball they will have 91 wins. I think the Braves are either going to totaly melt down ie. mets of a few years ago and miss everything, or they are just in a slump and will get hot when it actually matters into October.  They have the 3rd best ERA in the NL and are tied for second in Runs scored with Philly and the Rockies.   The teams that are going after them have just as many holes as the Braves do.  Will be interesting to see, what happens over the next 16 games.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

ConcordNiners

• Junior
Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 09:50:53 am
This is not surprising if you have watched them the last few years. 

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 11:21:27 am
I know this is just smack talk from a Phillies fan.  But you're not really telling Braves fans anything they don't already know.  We already know we've been struggling the past few weeks.

Now, had we gone .800 over the past few weeks and still lost the division lead, that would be a whole different argument.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

49bottlesOFbeer

• Walk On
Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 12:16:49 pm
As a Braves fan my only hope is that they have been playing dead as of late and will get hot very soon and carry some momentum into the postseason (if they even make it). 

Based on past experience I don't think this will happen, they are renowned choke artists.  The bad news is that every game from here on out is against a NL East opponent.  They typically suck playing against teams in their division which is a shame when you consider how bad 3-5 of them actually are this year. 

I would hate to see Bobby Cox go out without a post-season appearance but oh well.  They still have 6 games left with the Phillies; I think it will come down to the last series against the Phillies which is played in Atlanta.  Here's hoping for a WILD CARD if nothing else.   

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 03:35:17 pm
Lost another one today to the Nats 4-2

49bottlesOFbeer

• Walk On
Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 03:53:23 pm

"NO! You rotten bums! You overpaid weenies! I *detest* you! You're all garbage! All of ya! Back up the truck! Back it up!"

Cha_49

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 09:13:55 pm

"NO! You rotten bums! You overpaid weenies! I *detest* you! You're all garbage! All of ya! Back up the truck! Back it up!"

You movie freak! lol 

Funny reference though lol
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. What I can do, I ought to do, and what I ought to do, by the Grace of God, I will do."
Engraved on Ms. Bonnie Cones Memorial

Pork Chop

• Senior
Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 02:13:23 am
Oh wow, I'm going to in attendance when Halliday is attempting to pick up his 20th win.

smile emoticon

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos