Author Topic: Utter  (Read 35491 times)

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 10:23:30 am
   My point was simple: To point out hypocrisy by the usual suspects on this board who claim to be "real" 49ers fans.

In the span of 10 minutes after Friday night's game you saw:
   "We shoot too many 3s"   ... same thing said by same people every year here
   "We don't know how to play defense."  ... same thing said by same people every year
   "I can't believe we offered a scholarship to --------- (fill in any player here)"  ... same thing said by same people every year
  Powerbait's great wisdom: "Well, we'll be better next year." ... This after Game 1 and from the guy who wanted to fire coach ------ (fill in the blank, he's said it so much he's probably said it about all of them) years ago because fans were saying this all the time!
   And then the trashing of the players. Let's see, called them "cry babies,"  "Whiners" and a host of others.
   And to clear it up, my comments weren't about the program, the coach or any player.
    They were about YOU (likely most who wrote on this thread).

We shot 34 threes, made 8, that's too many now matter who you are.
We gave up 78 points to a team that was in the 300-350 range last year, that's bad D.
Sirin got killed on D and shot 1-8, he was obviously a project.

If we are all going to pull a Rasheed Wallace and say "both teams played hard" after every game, we might as well not even have a message board, we can get all our info from charlotte49ers.com.  J Felt, put it best, I'm just adding to his comment.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 10:25:39 am
Way to go team! You didn't play so well, but by golly, you tried hard! Aw shucks, maybe next time we'll get a bit luckier! Kudos to Gardner-Webb for being a jolly good sport!
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

shockerpat

• Walk On
Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 10:29:23 am
utter win

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:38 am
Is it too much to ask that a newspaper reporter just report the damn news as unbiased and professional as possible without getting into pissing matches on internet message boards?  Its so damn unproffesional.

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 10:41:42 am
Is it too much to ask that a newspaper reporter just report the damn news as unbiased and professional as possible without getting into pissing matches on internet message boards?  Its so damn unproffesional.

Utter threw away the professional tag a long time ago.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 10:42:11 am
Sorry we weren't as happy as you were after the loss. I was not surprised by the loss. I think we win if our bigs avoid foul trouble.  I guess we are to never say player X had a bad game, we might hurt his feelings. JB, Sirin and Derrio all had bad games. That is 1/2 of the scholarship players we had dress out. 1/3 of the scholarship guys fouled out.  We had 2 walkons playing meaningful minutes in the first half.  I think it's fair to put some blame on the Seniors that were suspended due to "team violations."  If they can't take that criticism, we have much bigger things to worry about.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 10:44:51 am
If they can't take that criticism, they shouldn't be playing college basketball at Charlotte, or any program with any sort of following.

FTFY.

We all pretty much support the team through thick and thin, but these players should know that playing a sport in front of thousands of people COULD eventually lead to criticism of your poor play.

Fire Scotty!!!

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 10:46:42 am

I can answer your rehetorical question if you'd like.

shockerpat

• Walk On
Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 10:59:05 am
If they can't take that criticism, they shouldn't be playing college basketball at Charlotte, or any program with any sort of following.

FTFY.

We all pretty much support the team through thick and thin, but these players should know that playing a sport in front of thousands of people COULD eventually lead to criticism of your poor play.
^
misses entire point Utter is making

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 11:01:12 am

FTFY.

^

Sorry, i had a hard time figuring out what his point was. It might've been before or after he rambled about "real" fans.

Fire Scotty!!!

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 11:02:56 am

FTFY.

^

Its not hard to do.  His post was almost incomprehensible. 

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:55 am
what makes a "real" fan?

HXC Niner

• Sophomore
Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 11:15:53 am
what makes a "real" fan?

Well first you land a paper column.  Then you talk s*** about the home team and how much they suck.  Then you finish it off by explaining how you weren't talking about the s***** team but instead the teams s***** fans bc everyone knows that is much better.

switchfoot

• Assistant Coach
Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 11:16:37 am
what makes a "real" fan?

According to some, you never criticize, complain, discuss, or point out any problem, or issue with a team. You just keep chanting Go Niners after every win or loss and don't dare complain if it's a loss. I post on a Braves forum as well and it's amazing how you have those who never want to hear anything negative or critical about a team even if and when the team struggles.

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 11:18:43 am
you have to admit, though true, it is kinda ironic all that was said (myself included) throughout that entire game. Pretty much the same stuff we've said since before Major got here. I believe the changes take time.

and for the record, I do think there is a fine line between what Jim was doing by making his statements and what all of you perceived[size=78%] it to be. He was making fun of a lot of the posters on THIS BOARD, not the program or a majority of its fans. I can assure you he didn't enjoy that loss anymore than any of us did - so be pissed he made fun of you, not that he made fun of our team, program, and fans.[/size]

Another thing, he didn't take any direct shots at anyones professionalism, looks, etc. - just what they typically say. Funny how we all get so much keyboard courage on here over criticism, isn't it?

Jim covered us proudly. I used to joke that he had the best job in the world covering the niners and nascar simultaneously, and he would agree. Some very unfortunate things happened over at the observer last year and he got called into another line that required a lot more time. I can almost guarantee you he would still love to be doing both. We didn't (and still don't) have much in the Observer, and thats unfortunate, but I thought Jim did a great job bringing us all the information he could. The real complaint should be that he wasn't made a full-time Niner journalist, but somethings are out of the employees hands.

Jim, feel free to correct any of my assumptions or understandings.

Now lets go win the Charleston Classic and put all this behind us. Winning cures all, right?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:20:32 am by zerogeneticsdc »
The University of Charlotte? I think so.

Representing Niner Nation on Rocky Top since 2010.

Jersey Niner32

• Sophomore
Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:18 am
   My point was simple: To point out hypocrisy by the usual suspects on this board who claim to be "real" 49ers fans.

"We don't know how to play defense."  ... same thing said by same people every year
   "I can't believe we offered a scholarship to --------- (fill in any player here)"  ... same thing said by same people every year
  Powerbait's great wisdom: "Well, we'll be better next year." ... This after Game 1 and from the guy who wanted to fire coach ------ (fill in the blank, he's said it so much he's probably said it about all of them) years ago because fans were saying this all the time!
   And then the trashing of the players. Let's see, called them "cry babies,"  "Whiners" and a host of others.
   And to clear it up, my comments weren't about the program, the coach or any player.

Since when are fans not allowed to criticize or point out potential similarities in teams that would be alarming? Utter = douche.
Niner Basketball
-The team that is always one year away (maybe this year will be it? :49ers:)
:49ers:

"Jersey Niner has good taste in one of his professional sports franchises.  He gets my vote."  -Pork Chop

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 11:40:33 am
you have to admit, though true, it is kinda ironic all that was said (myself included) throughout that entire game. Pretty much the same stuff we've said since before Major got here. I believe the changes take time.

That's what I took from his post. 

I made a point to avoid this board after Friday's loss so I'm not sure what was mentioned in the shoutbox. 

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 11:50:09 am
I think part of his point too was, for as bad as Lutz was to some people, Major was perfect to those same people, before he even coached a single game.  Defensive minded, man to man, maybe low scoring, less 3s.  But from what we've seen that might not be the case.  Of course he doesn't have "his" players just yet, so any fair judgment about Major is premature.  But with the same players, THUS FAR, it looks similar.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 11:51:56 am
If you watch the OSU, they aren't afraid to shoot 3's. However, their 3's tend to be more quality looks.  Major needs a chance with his guys first and it will take time to fully assess his abilities. So far, we've figured out his staff can recruit well.

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 11:52:27 am

Everyone who has ever been on this board knows you were WAAAYYY too close to the staff and refused to see any flaws that they may have had.  The problem most of had with your comments is that you seemed to take perverse pleasure in your Alam Mater losing to GW and it seemed like you were acting like a 3 year old sticking his tongue out saying , "See, told you so." 

For the record, if Bobby Lutz had gone 24-6 last year and made the Sweet Sixteen,  he would have kept his job and everyone would have loved to have him back.  We've missed the tourney 5 straight yrs and that is UNACCEPTABLE, just ask Bobby, he said so.

And for the record, I said Wilderness, Jones (I know- next game) and Spears were idiots for getting themselves banned and basically causing us to lose to GW- I stand firmly by it. 

And thanks for pointing out the hypocrisy- it really hurts coming from you.
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

Powerbait

Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 11:55:07 am
For starters, the gem I presented actually wasn't presented by me.  Someone else said that next year was going to be even worse and I said that was silly because we had a real recruiting class coming in next year.

Secondly, Utter came on right after the loss and lead with, "I love it."  He was gloating that we lost.  s9er repeatedly asked him "Why are you being a dick?" and he wouldn't respond.  Anyone that wasn't on here to see his little diatribe can take whatever interpretation from what he's saying now, but he was here gloating pure and simple. 

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 11:55:18 am
Unless a Fire Major thread was started I'd say the reaction was pretty tame considering we lost to GW....

Go look at the Wake board after their loss to Stetson. I'd say the reactions displayed on NNN were pretty natural/normal.

Powerbait

Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 11:59:17 am
I think part of his point too was, for as bad as Lutz was to some people, Major was perfect to those same people, before he even coached a single game.  Defensive minded, man to man, maybe low scoring, less 3s.  But from what we've seen that might not be the case.  Of course he doesn't have "his" players just yet, so any fair judgment about Major is premature.  But with the same players, THUS FAR, it looks similar.

There was only one person freaking out in the shoutbox after the game.  In fact, most of the people in there talking were upset that we lost, but understanding of why we lost.  Most of the comments were to the effect of, "we were down 4 players" and "this is major's first game with a new team, it is going to take time."  Not the same old s*** people were complaining about with the last coach that was here.  Utter is a tool and has a serious crush on Bobby Lutz.  I have no problem with him homosexuality, he just needs to direct it toward other gay men and stop having fantasies about our former head coach.  He might want to stop prowling campus for naive students too, that one is just creepy.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 11:59:49 am
If you watch the OSU, they aren't afraid to shoot 3's. However, their 3's tend to be more quality looks.  Major needs a chance with his guys first and it will take time to fully assess his abilities. So far, we've figured out his staff can recruit well.

Agreed.  From what I've seen so far, the differences are there has not been a Plavichish type 3 taken and it is constant man to man.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 12:02:11 pm
The players we had in the game at G-W were only capable of shooting the 3. Sirin, Colby, Morganstern, Barnett, etc. are not going to post up people, and Green tried to drive and got blocked like 5 times. I want to play more inside the 3 point line, but you can't do that with the players we had.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos