Author Topic: SMOKE: Jim Utter tweated: "I hear bidness is about to pick up" -Coaching Change?  (Read 33545 times)

ninerball49

• Senior Captain
  • is that trips?
A lot of our current and former athletes read this board.  I find that so horribly embarrassing.  Differing opinions isn't the correct terminology.  To a certain extent we're all supposed to be supporting the team in one way or another.  Some do that differently than others but if you're rooting for the team or players to fail or literally just dragging them down with every post, then, literally, WHY would you argue that you're here other than to draw needless attention to yourself...which, quite obviously says a lot about a person especially if they're going to sit there and make a picture just to troll on this thread...you've got to be kidding me.  Go outside.  Touch a basketball.  I guarantee with every dribble, the things said about our players will change tenfold. 

I know that I've been following our basketball team every year since 05-06 religiously.  We haven't been to the dance since then and we really haven't had many successful seasons.  But I know that I've seen us win at Clemson, vs. Wake, GT, etc etc etc and many other memories that can never be taken away.  I've met a lot of the players on each of these teams that haven't been overly successful, and I can tell you with absolutely no doubt that every single one of them worked their ass off every day while in school to entertain the very people that always (if they do unfortunately visit this place) insult and degrade their hard work and commitment to our University.

I've heard a lot of others say things like "players shouldn't read this" or that they should expect it when coming to a message board.  That's not completely untrue, but they still have that right and they DO come here.  It's quite obvious reading this thread that no one likes to have their opinions or their fandom constantly insulted and bashed.  Imagine what that would be like if you were actually putting work in every day for the entertainment of these same people that are supposed to be your fellow students and in some cases your friends (most players I've met and talked to are very approachable).  At the end of the day, everyone is human and no one likes being trashed all the time especially from a group they're constantly working hard to entertain/impress.

Sports is obviously a very emotional outlet for just about everyone involved.  Everyone knows that.  I'm sure we've all been devastated about most of what's taken place the past couple of years on the court.  You don't think our players feel the same way when they work at it every day of their lives?  Again, I feel there's a huge difference in voicing a dissenting/different opinion and literally just trashing our program/players/staff and trying to look good when WE lose.  And if you're arguing that trashing our University/players/staff isn't for self-promotion, please, sell me, WTF IS IT for?

We ARE a family and at the end of the day it seems like it is barely remembered by anyone much less the majority.  The fight for football was barely a whisper if that when I first arrived at this school.  This board made it happen.  Would it have happened either way?  At this point in time, I seriously doubt it.  However, the point is, at one time, we were unstoppable and united in forcing pursuit of a goal that was once thought impossible and that was less than a decade ago.  Now it's just every man for himself and who can be more right about how bad we might lose.  The same person who says the board didn't help with football would probably say it doesn't affect players when they read stuff like that. 

Would it affect you?  On second thought, it doesn't matter.  Because at the end of the day you're not out there busting your ass every day for the fans, no matter what they say about you when they think you're not around.  I feel like each and every one of us is a better fan than that.  Food for thought
we have football

clap clap clapclapclap

Niner89

• Senior Captain
Great Post, Ninerball49 !
I told him to call 911 . . . because the house is . . . on FIRE.

NewNiner

• Senior
Excellent post, NinerBall49.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
I can tell you with absolutely no doubt that every single one of them worked their ass off every day while in school to entertain the very people that always (if they do unfortunately visit this place) insult and degrade their hard work and commitment to our University.

Again, I feel there's a huge difference in voicing a dissenting/different opinion and literally just trashing our program/players/staff

I don't respect former or current players who trash our current situation. Jones writing on Derrio's FB wall saying we need to fire Major, the AD and bring back Bobby is disrespectful to this university. The same university who paid for him to have a free ride to not take it seriously and fail out his senior year. I don't respect a player who tweets pictures during the Fordham game. Derrio having his own FB picture that says "Free Derrio". Doing that is in the self interest of that player and not for the team. If you are not getting the minutes...that sucks but support the team and the university. Bobby getting fired and Spears going on a mission. "I am gonna miss Bobby's wife yelling from the stands", etc. If I remember correctly, Moxley even wrote on his wall on FB trying to keep him going saying everything was going to be alright.

These players are getting a free education and the students are paying athletic fees and the fans are paying their hard earned cash to allow them to play. We take time and money out of our lives to support the team and to have some of the actions we have seen lately is disrespectful to us. Three drug suspensions last year and one this year. Mayfield has a kid and gets caught with drugs. It is just not right. Lee had a kid and he was a professional on and off the court. I will respect that everyday of the week.

9erken

• Senior Captain
I've heard a lot of others say things like "players shouldn't read this" or that they should expect it when coming to a message board.  That's not completely untrue, but they still have that right and they DO come here.  It's quite obvious reading this thread that no one likes to have their opinions or their fandom constantly insulted and bashed.  Imagine what that would be like if you were actually putting work in every day for the entertainment of these same people that are supposed to be your fellow students and in some cases your friends (most players I've met and talked to are very approachable).  At the end of the day, everyone is human and no one likes being trashed all the time especially from a group they're constantly working hard to entertain/impress.
I agree with this, the idea of what it is to be a fan has definitely changed. Not that people never criticized players or coaches before, but it's gone to another level where fans seem to feel much more entitled and driven to criticize mistakes when the team doesn't happen to win (I've done it myself during and after games). It seems like there's more fans that really focus on the negative. Probably has something to do with the outlandish amounts of money and media attention involved now, and the semi-anonymous nature of the internet.

Of course, the problem with a messageboard is that now all that bashing is more public and more permanent. Talking with a fellow fan while watching a game rarely gets to team members and pretty much disappears after the conversation ends (the chat box is similar, but more public). On the message board, it sits there waiting for anyone and everyone to read it. I try to remember that when posting on here, whatever you say about someone should be something you're willing to say to their face.

That said, I'm definitely one of the people that says the players/coaches should never come on and read this board. I wish it were otherwise, but you're always going to have some negative fans in a large fanbase, some people with clear agendas to undermine the program, and fans of other teams trolling. And even if there's lots of positive comments, its usually the one or more negative comments that can really stick with you and it still hurts.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Ken, chat box is only visible to registered users who are logged in on the site.

I can see what would draw a player to the board as they are younger.  Coaches on a message board, they should simply have important things to do.

s9er

• Head Coach
We are not unique in how we react to losing.. Especially extended losing. Damn near every school in America goes batshit when things go south.. A two game losing streak @ Kentucky is seen as the end of the world. We aren't crazy, we definitely are reactionary, but we are 100% passionate. We are college basketball fans.

Lutz4Life

• Sophomore
Holy s*** I take one day off from NN.N and come back to 8 pages of this... I hate all of you. Even you GTG pricks. NLP too.
Quote from SalukiTalk.Net

PatokaSaluki:
"Theres a difference. There is no parity like there is between us and SLU, where we exchange home wins, Charlotte just pretty much owns us no matter where the game is."
:49ers:

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
some people who post here were involved i don't who but thank you for doing your part in getting football

I have been following this board for nine years

probably the people who attack others on the board were not those who were instrumental  just coattailing so how do i know

when i first came on i was respectful for the most part gave s*** to fans of others schools

but this place has changed and certain people have become more self-important 

then that silly green tinted glasses was developed it just isn't very good what can you say  "there's no accounting for taste"

Roasty

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
  • DERP!
    • http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com
some people who post here were involved i don't who but thank you for doing your part in getting football

probably the people who attack others on the board were not those who were instrumental  just coattailing so how do i know

when i first came on i was respectful for the most part gave s*** to fans of others schools

then that silly green tinted glasses was developed it just isn't very good what can you say  "there's no accounting for taste"

[picture]

There is nothing wrong with either term, but I assure you that user is neither Liberal nor Atheist.

NovaNiner

• Senior

Funny image.  Did you know that they have maps in Australia with them on the top? 

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos