Author Topic: Low Self Esteem? Post here.  (Read 19780 times)

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
on: January 17, 2013, 10:08:16 am
My curiosity has me tracking the Observer's coverage of Charlotte and Chapel Hill for the rest of the season.  I wish I would have started at the beginning of the season but the timing should still work.  At this juncture both teams seem to be fairly equal (Chapel Hill is 42 in the RPI and we are 60).  Chapel Hill has 15 games that will be covered remaining in the regular season.  We have 14 games including last night.  I'll keep tabs on other sports as well.  This is for the print edition only (and the one that arrives at my doorstep in Cabarrus County every morning).  Tallies include copy and photos.

January 17th- Charlotte vs. Fordham  60 column inches  (Donnie Smith MLS article-  additional 12)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:40:46 am by ninermike »

NLP

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:23 am
Do you have access to EBSCO? It would be a much more powerful tool for this type of analysis.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:59 pm
Why is the local paper covering a school 150 miles away?
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:13:55 pm
Are front page column inches going to be awarded a higher value than page 4 column inches?  Are pictures going to be included in the analysis?  If nay to both, I feel the analysis will be lacking. 

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Niner89

• Senior Captain
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:37:13 pm
My curiosity has me tracking the Observer's coverage of Charlotte and Chapel Hill for the rest of the season.  I wish I would have started at the beginning of the season but the timing should still work.  At this juncture both teams seem to be fairly equal (Chapel Hill is 42 in the RPI and we are 60).  Chapel Hill has 15 games that will be covered remaining in the regular season.  We have 14 games including last night.  I'll keep tabs on other sports as well.  This is for the print edition only (and the one that arrives at my doorstep in Cabarrus County every morning).  Tallies include copy and photos.

January 17th- Charlotte vs. Fordham  60 column inches  (Donnie Smith MLS article-  additional 12)
Call it "loco" paper all you want. But, you will be extremely disappointed since the disturber is located in Orange County.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:25:05 am by Niner89 »
I told him to call 911 . . . because the house is . . . on FIRE.

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:28:13 pm
Are front page column inches going to be awarded a higher value than page 4 column inches?  Are pictures going to be included in the analysis?  If nay to both, I feel the analysis will be lacking.

Photos are included in the column inches.  I'll make a note of front page as well but as a general rule front page means more column inches.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:43:57 pm
"ninermike?"

Is this Mike Persinger trying to BS us?  Surely someone with a UNC-CH diploma could come up with a more clever disguise.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Niner89

• Senior Captain
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 02:46:52 pm
"ninermike?"

Is this Mike Persinger trying to BS us?  Surely someone with a UNC-CH diploma could come up with a more clever disguise.
So, it is safe to change the name to Tarhole Mike. ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:59:12 pm by Niner89 »

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:12:23 pm
"ninermike?"

Yeah I've been on the board for 10 years under this disguise and I've finally found my moment to BS you. 

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:03 pm
"ninermike?"

Yeah I've been on the board for 10 years under this disguise and I've finally found my moment to BS you.

10 years on the board and 415 posts. You ARE THE FAN aren't you?
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NLP

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:29:50 pm
Man, you guys are worse than me. Stop Niner-on-Niner violence. Dude is just trying to answer a question using reproducible methods.

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 04:02:44 pm
Man, you guys are worse than me. Stop Niner-on-Niner violence. Dude is just trying to answer a question using reproducible methods.

Good observation NLP.  We'd have a lot more people posting on here if we didn't have such wankers ruining it for the rest of us.

Savio

• Senior
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 04:12:42 pm
we've beaten this dead horse for the past 15 years.

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:29 pm

Good observation NLP.  We'd have a lot more people posting on here if we didn't have such wankers ruining it for the rest of us.
Well, to be fair, we were a lot more hostile to each other when we were winning and were relevent.  Losing thinned the board out, not the "wankers".

And I think you have a good homework assignment but I think you have made the assignment too late in the year.  I have already seen at least 5 or 6 articles on nothing but Ole Roy.

If it were possible, I wish you could go back and see the war of words between Persinger and Over40niner.  Pure Venom- Classic.  It's why Over is a folk hero to Niners of all ages.
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

C49erMoose

• Freshman
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:46 pm

+1

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 05:08:43 pm
Stop wanking you wankers.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

Niner89

• Senior Captain

cltniners

Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59:41 pm
clt welcomes his good buddy mike p to rejoin the board.

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 06:05:49 pm

Because Charlotte has more UNC Chapel Hill fans than Charlotte fans, and they're a business.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

ninerball49

• Senior Captain
  • is that trips?
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 06:15:33 pm
I don't think Mike P has been here since gloating about Butch Davis' extension.
we have football

clap clap clapclapclap

cltniners

Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:17:43 pm

Because Charlotte has more UNC Chapel Hill fans than Charlotte fans, and they're a business.

clt says you missed a key point. UNC CHeat fans are illiterate.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 06:44:40 pm
Well, its all very nice to track what the Absorber prints. How are we to measure the stuff they haven't printed that was news everywhere else? They weren't exactly in the forefront in covering the disgraceful academic mess out of Chapel Hill. Do you count the front page headlines when Chapel Hill wins a game the same as our page 5C coverage? Do you take into account that all their still pictures from games seem to magically show Chapel Hill's opponent committing some rules infraction and yet never is a similar picture printed when it the Boys in Baby Blue are the perps?
Do you take into account that our beat writer is more like a beaten down writer marking time until retirement and failing in the meantime to remember our players names?
The O is a business for sure. That doesn't mean they are an innovative or smart business. If there are lots of Holes fans in Charlotte, does it follow that this demographic is encouraged by the Chapel Hill coverage to patronize the advertisers in the Observer. The UNC-CH grads probably could care less about the local rag's  coverage of their sports, as there  are better sources of information anyway and the Walmart fans are good customers of, well, Walmart and perhaps a few local strip clubs. The Observer is an "inside the box" entity with the box being located in 1980.
 :( :(

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:32 pm
I'll be the 1st to admit the O's coverage improved tremendously as soon as we really started sucking, but it has remained better.

Ninermike has ALWAYS been an avid supporter of the O.  He even ridiculed some of us when we complained that the Observer was the only daily paper in the state that refused to print (online and print version) the story about our baseball win over a highly rated UNC-chapel hill team.

He has always defended the O and their coverage of the tarholes.  He used to refer to us as "you Niners" until being called out about it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:51:09 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

niner007

• MemberPF
  • Freshman
  • AURIFEROUS
    • SCL
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 12:29:58 am
You guys just don't know what a tarhole is  :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Brea_Tar_Pits

- This space is for lease

Niner89

• Senior Captain
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 02:29:16 am
You guys just don't know what a tarhole is  :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Brea_Tar_Pits

I beg to differ . . . ;D

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:54:18 am by Niner89 »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos