Author Topic: Soccer/Futbol (Football) thread  (Read 96556 times)

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #450 on: July 23, 2015, 09:50:13 am
So how many players & coachers are getting fired for this sh*t?  Fing Jamaica?  They're just a bunch of pot head Rastas.

Jamaica is actually a decent team.  I watched them play in the Copa America against teams such as Argentina.  Yes, they lost, but only 1-0 and gave all those teams good games.  I had a feeling this one would end the way it did and after all that flurry of attack by the US in the first have that resulted in no goal it just seemed like it wasn't going to be the US's day.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #451 on: July 23, 2015, 09:57:48 am
So how many players & coachers are getting fired for this sh*t?  Fing Jamaica?  They're just a bunch of pot head Rastas.

Jamaica is actually a decent team.  I watched them play in the Copa America against teams such as Argentina.  Yes, they lost, but only 1-0 and gave all those teams good games.  I had a feeling this one would end the way it did and after all that flurry of attack by the US in the first have that resulted in no goal it just seemed like it wasn't going to be the US's day.
I was really impressed with Jamaica, playing in Copa definitely prepared them for this tourney.

Still think the US should have won, but the attack was disjointed and we didn't convert our chances when given. Really could've used a healthy Jozy Altidore to push around the Jamaican defenders, Johannson and Dempsey could not find the space to create.

Guzan had to put in one of his more forgettable appearances the same day Howard announces he's ready to come back. Never trust an Aston Villa man.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #452 on: July 24, 2015, 01:34:34 am
The penalty that Mexico was given at the end of regulation was one of the worst penalties I have ever seen. I wouldn't have blamed panama if they had walked off the field.

What's the point of the smaller nations playing if they are just going to gift Mexico to the final.

That's TWO games in a row that they were gifted penalties in the dying minutes.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #453 on: July 24, 2015, 08:57:06 am
The penalty that Mexico was given at the end of regulation was one of the worst penalties I have ever seen. I wouldn't have blamed panama if they had walked off the field.

What's the point of the smaller nations playing if they are just going to gift Mexico to the final.

Wonder if "EL CHAPO" is in control ???

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #454 on: July 24, 2015, 10:13:00 am

Agreed. They have been getting every big call. The first penalty is probably the worst penalty I've ever seen called. I'm not even 100% sure that the ball touched his arm at all, but even if it barely grazed it, to adjudge that he gained an advantage from it and that it wasn't inadvertent is just too blatant to ignore. But that wasn't even the only big call that was awful. The straight red card for the high arm, which is usually just a normal foul, maybe a yellow in some cases, was a complete joke too, and that happened in the 25th minute! The fact that Mexico still needed another gift really says something for how little they deserved this game. The 2nd penalty was at least justifiable, but they haven't called that in some other games so it's still a favorable call.

This Gold Cup for Concacaf is really about ensuring that 1) the final isn't something like Panama-Jamaica, 2) the playoff game for the confederations cup happens, which earns Concacaf a lot more money, so the US couldn't win the gold cup (not that they played well enough to win anyway), and 3) that Mexico is the team that plays in that game, so that it definitely sells out. The referee was clearly instructed to help Mexico win, and he did everything in his power to make sure that happened.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #455 on: July 24, 2015, 10:23:06 am
By the way, on that 2nd penalty, replays suggested that the Mexican player was offside, so they didn't really deserve that penalty either.

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #456 on: July 26, 2015, 04:58:39 pm
Not that interested in the Gold Cup final  since the US is out.  I did watch the NYCFC vs Orlando City FC match today though.  Entertaining 5-3 NYC victory with Pirlo making his MLS debut.  This match marked the first MLS match ever where 3 World Cup winners were on the same field. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:23:57 pm by VA49er »

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #457 on: July 26, 2015, 07:09:45 pm
Appears Drogba will sign with Montreal.

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #458 on: July 26, 2015, 07:56:05 pm

Agreed. They have been getting every big call. The first penalty is probably the worst penalty I've ever seen called. I'm not even 100% sure that the ball touched his arm at all, but even if it barely grazed it, to adjudge that he gained an advantage from it and that it wasn't inadvertent is just too blatant to ignore. But that wasn't even the only big call that was awful. The straight red card for the high arm, which is usually just a normal foul, maybe a yellow in some cases, was a complete joke too, and that happened in the 25th minute! The fact that Mexico still needed another gift really says something for how little they deserved this game. The 2nd penalty was at least justifiable, but they haven't called that in some other games so it's still a favorable call.

This Gold Cup for Concacaf is really about ensuring that 1) the final isn't something like Panama-Jamaica, 2) the playoff game for the confederations cup happens, which earns Concacaf a lot more money, so the US couldn't win the gold cup (not that they played well enough to win anyway), and 3) that Mexico is the team that plays in that game, so that it definitely sells out. The referee was clearly instructed to help Mexico win, and he did everything in his power to make sure that happened.

Conspiracy at the CONCACAF level would be tough to make happen as there are too many competing interests at the top.  FIFA referees have been know to take $ in the past so it's not unimaginable that one or more could be on the take.  Of course just bad officiating is not too unrealistic either but both Panama and Costa Rica have asked CONCACAF to look into officiating irregularities in their games with Mexico.

US loss to Panama quite embarrassing.  Can't believe this team just knocked off three European powers including Germany.  They need to right this ship for World Cup Qualifying.  Fourth Place in CONCACAF will play Fifth place from Asia to qualify for Russia and based on the Gold Cup we certainly don't look like a top 3 team.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #459 on: July 26, 2015, 09:17:14 pm
Boy, howdy.  The glass-half-empty crowd sure is down on the USA team based on one game.

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #460 on: July 26, 2015, 09:26:39 pm
Boy, howdy.  The glass-half-empty crowd sure is down on the USA team based on one game.

One game?  This was an entire tournament and the U.S. didn't bring their A game.  Any thoughts on the tourney or is it your obsession with me that brought you here today?

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #461 on: July 26, 2015, 09:32:57 pm
Conspiracy at the CONCACAF level would be tough to make happen as there are too many competing interests at the top.  FIFA referees have been know to take $ in the past so it's not unimaginable that one or more could be on the take.  Of course just bad officiating is not too unrealistic either but both Panama and Costa Rica have asked CONCACAF to look into officiating irregularities in their games with Mexico.
I'm not sure it would be all that hard, given how easily the corruption has occurred in CONCACAF in the past. I bet competing interests would align very quickly if there were cash gifts involved, something that happened many times before for other decisions.

Even so, I would bet they could handle it with one or two people in a phone call or some other communication to the referees in terms of how they expect calls to be slanted else you won't be refereeing future matches, much like it has been done in the NBA in the past (somehow the refs come to understand who the people in charge want to win and have acted accordingly).

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #462 on: July 26, 2015, 09:52:27 pm

One game?  This was an entire tournament and the U.S. didn't bring their A game.  Any thoughts on the tourney or is it your obsession with me that brought you here today?
USA 6 Cuba 0.   

Nobody mentioned you, Mr " I-am-the-center-of-the-universe" .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:54:35 pm by 4ever niner »

NinerAdvocate

Reply #463 on: July 26, 2015, 09:54:07 pm
The US side was a trainwreck in those last two games. Poor showing at the Gold Cup. Beating up on a terrible Cuban side is not impressive.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #464 on: July 26, 2015, 09:57:50 pm
The US side was a trainwreck in those last two games. Poor showing at the Gold Cup. Beating up on a terrible Cuban side is not impressive.
I'm discounting the third place game. Nobody wants to play that game.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #465 on: July 26, 2015, 10:33:19 pm
The US will now have to beat El Tri for a spot in the 2017 Confederations Cup. It's a one off playoff game.

According to CBS Sports, the match will take place in the United States on October 9, 2015.

Need to get our crap straight by then. We didn't qualify for the last one. Last time we went was 2009, when we were beating Brazil 2-0 in the final, but lost 3-2.

Then a month later, we start WC qualifying.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:36:37 pm by NinerAdvocate »

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #466 on: July 27, 2015, 12:21:29 am
Wish that game was in Charlotte.

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #467 on: July 27, 2015, 10:11:54 am
Wish that game was in Charlotte.

Rose Bowl, 92k seating

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #468 on: July 27, 2015, 01:57:54 pm
I get 3rd place game sucks, BUT Bronze is better than nothing.  We definitely stepped in a turd.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #469 on: July 27, 2015, 04:05:12 pm
I get 3rd place game sucks, BUT Bronze is better than nothing.  We definitely stepped in a turd.

We WERE the turd.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #470 on: July 29, 2015, 11:30:45 pm
Mexico fans have to be elated.  Win the Gold Cup and Herrera gets fired.

I don't watch much MLS but have been entertained by the All Star game the last two years.  Nick Rimando looked really good tonight.  Shows you how good US goalkeeping is when he's going to be #3 starter soon with Howard coming back. 

Question of the day:  Is the MLS All Star team better or US team?

NovaNiner

• Senior
Reply #471 on: July 30, 2015, 08:23:15 am
Slight edge to the MLS.  Nine or so MLS All-Stars are on the US team.  Villa, Kaka, and Giovinco are the difference. 

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #472 on: July 30, 2015, 11:47:06 am
Who are the prominent players in Europe or Mexico right now?  That would help compare the MLS all-stars to USMNT, given the overlap of common players.

I can think of Howard, Guzan, and Yedlin in English soccer. Who else?

A few years ago,most of the best U.S. players played in Europe, but MLS keeps signing prominent USMNT players to play here. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I like to see MLS do well, but I also like to see USMNT players competing in tougher leagues.

NovaNiner

• Senior
Reply #473 on: July 30, 2015, 01:46:32 pm
Chandler...haha I kid.

Fabian Johnson, Aron Johannsson, Julian Green, John Brooks...and apparently Chandler plays well for his club but not for his country. 

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/usmnt-players-abroad

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #474 on: July 30, 2015, 03:37:20 pm
Chandler...haha I kid.

Fabian Johnson, Aron Johannsson, Julian Green, John Brooks...and apparently Chandler plays well for his club but not for his country. 

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/usmnt-players-abroad

I read that Julian Green will stay with Bayern this season but play for the U23's and not first team. 

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos