Author Topic: UTC Disaster  (Read 4395 times)

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 09:47:39 pm
At this point the best thing Price can do for our program is leave in a blaze of glory, and tell all about how much harder Judy makes things than they have to be. 

For the record, I don't think price is that bad.  I think when you get handed chicken crap it's really hard to make chicken salad.  When you have somebody dumping chicken crap on your head while you are trying to make the chicken salad, the best you are going to do is an e-coli outbreak. 

Even if Mark Price were the worst coach alive, which he isn't, at some point this crap has to fall on Judy.  How people choose not to see that is beyond me.
You can't blame the AD for how bad Price's team has looked this year. She is the same AD Alan Major had. Major teams
competed against Power 5 teams, not lose by 25. Major teams played hard. Clayton & Henry brought it every night. Blaming
the AD is total crap. Quit blaming the AD & look at what's on the court.

I think you can blame them all.  It isn't either/or it's and.  Major wasn't good.  His teams beat bad teams and were terrible in conference play.  He was a bad head coach.  Prices teams have looked even worse.  Like Major, his first team appears to be his best team.  He is the head coach of a bad team.  Unlike Major I think Price is aware of this and will step down.  The common denominator in hiring bad coaches is Judy.
Mahna Mahna

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 09:51:40 pm
At this point the best thing Price can do for our program is leave in a blaze of glory, and tell all about how much harder Judy makes things than they have to be. 

For the record, I don't think price is that bad.  I think when you get handed chicken crap it's really hard to make chicken salad.  When you have somebody dumping chicken crap on your head while you are trying to make the chicken salad, the best you are going to do is an e-coli outbreak. 

Even if Mark Price were the worst coach alive, which he isn't, at some point this crap has to fall on Judy.  How people choose not to see that is beyond me.
You can't blame the AD for how bad Price's team has looked this year. She is the same AD Alan Major had. Major teams
competed against Power 5 teams, not lose by 25. Major teams played hard. Clayton & Henry brought it every night. Blaming

We had unwatchable poor quality basketball then and now. Letís not have revisionist history and reminisce about the Major years. Some of us remember when Charlotte actually had real success.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 09:59:52 pm

I think you can blame them all.  It isn't either/or it's and.  Major wasn't good.  His teams beat bad teams and were terrible in conference play.  He was a bad head coach.  Prices teams have looked even worse.  Like Major, his first team appears to be his best team.  He is the head coach of a bad team.  Unlike Major I think Price is aware of this and will step down.  The common denominator in hiring bad coaches is Judy.
Majors first team was not his best. His third team was.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 10:48:48 pm

Majors first team was not his best. His third team was.

Record wise maybe.  Had Phil Jones stayed on that team I think it makes NIT easily. 
Mahna Mahna

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 11:55:39 pm
The team is Priceís problem... continual bad hires are Judyís fault though. Donít defend her sheís as much at fault for bad hires and mismanagement as the coaches are for running the team.
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 09:20:35 am

If Alan Major tenure is your example of success, then Your expectations are properly managed.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 09:58:01 am

If Alan Major tenure is your example of success, then Your expectations are properly managed.

But wait!  According to Judy and Phil, Major would have been the best coach we ever had if he had not had health issues.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 09:01:04 pm

But wait!  According to Judy and Phil, Major would have been the best coach we ever had if he had not had health issues.
Major's alopecia should not have made him a bad coach.

NinerNurse

• Walk On
Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:33 pm

Major's alopecia should not have made him a bad coach.
Lol thatís fugged up!

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 11:17:18 pm
What's changed? Oh wait, we're recruiting to a bottom dweller league with brutal travel and no natural recruiting areas for ourselves.  Throw in recovering from the gap in recruiting that happens when a coach is sick and pushed hard to leave by boosters. Then the next one has all the prior coaches recruits leave the pipeline as often happens...

Yet most blame that 100% on the ad and coach but don't mention what drove the move and most people's support for it.
This borders on a Presidential level of self awareness. It comes off as ignorant and immature board crap that no admin will take seriously. I also find the fire Judy chants despicable.

I don't excuse the lack of fire I'm seeing from the players nor the decision to cut costs during a decline (which personally made me cut away back on my support). But you have to develop a little more nuanced view of the factors here instead of just ranting to fire persons x y z. There is no panacea to getting out of this mess. Somehow we need to get out of CUSA or the league needs to miraculously improve which seems pretty unlikely.
I doubt anyone agrees with this 😉

Does anyone have any ideas other than firing people?

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 11:36:32 pm
What's changed? Oh wait, we're recruiting to a bottom dweller league with brutal travel and no natural recruiting areas for ourselves.  Throw in recovering from the gap in recruiting that happens when a coach is sick and pushed hard to leave by boosters. Then the next one has all the prior coaches recruits leave the pipeline as often happens...

Yet most blame that 100% on the ad and coach but don't mention what drove the move and most people's support for it.
This borders on a Presidential level of self awareness. It comes off as ignorant and immature board crap that no admin will take seriously. I also find the fire Judy chants despicable.

I don't excuse the lack of fire I'm seeing from the players nor the decision to cut costs during a decline (which personally made me cut away back on my support). But you have to develop a little more nuanced view of the factors here instead of just ranting to fire persons x y z. There is no panacea to getting out of this mess. Somehow we need to get out of CUSA or the league needs to miraculously improve which seems pretty unlikely.

Thanks for chiming in, although you made the case for firing Judy with a failed hire of Price, descent into irrelevancy thanks to our shitty league we moved to under her watch, etc.

Judy got us here. We shouldnít fire her because itís mean? Where do you work? Donít your bosses get fired for leading the way into failures? If not, Iíll get a job there.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 12:39:17 am

The few hardcore fans we have left, find the manner in which Judy has run a once good program into the ground despicable. She never earned her position, it was handed to her. Virtually every decision that she has had to make on her own has been the wrong one. She had a good foundation and a solid basketball coaching tree handed to her. Once she deviated from that tree and had to evaluate coaches for herself, we got garbage.

This program is where it is because the administration, both Judy and Phil, have no idea how to run a competitive athletic department. They want to run this s*** like the Mayberry rec league and not a D1 program with a $32 million budget.

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 12:45:56 am
Why'd we move to that league? I assume you wanted football like most? Did you object to the move? I made this point 3 of 4 years ago and most everyone said the league was no issue.

It sounds like you have no ideas other than to fire someone again. So fine...

Does anyone though?

Are we locked to having all sports in CUSA so that a basketball move is held back by football ? I don't know anything about football other than the results haven't been good. If football moved down somewhere until ready could basketball move up?
It'd be great on many levels to be back in the A10.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 01:53:08 am
We made the move because we had to.  We made it 10 years too late because of our current leadership.  I too had reservations about the move to C-USA.  Was worried about our basketball, but our basketball has under achieved even for the league.  We are nowhere near our potential and I put that firmly on our current leadership.  I have no faith in them any more.  NONE.  ZERO.  My expectations are so managed that I EXPECT them to fail miserably in everything they do, and somehow, some way, they EXCEED my expectations and fail even more miserably.  It's tragic.

Ideas?  We've been listing common sense ideas on this site for years.  We b**** about everything on this site down to the smallest detail.  I'm sure they've been relayed to the AD, but they continue down the same road expecting different results - definition of insanity.  This fan here is at the end of his rope.  We HAVE to have fresh ideas and fresh people running our AD like a D1 program, not like a rec league.

I'm sure there are people that are out there that could get us where we need to go, but I think that won't ever happen with our current leadership.  Our AD needs a CULTURE CHANGE.  Funny, it was a CULTURE CHANGE that they preached about when they let Bobby go and brought in Alan Minor.

end rant - I'm going to bed.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 06:29:59 am

The only way we could blame our conference is if we were winning in the A10 and upon arrival to CUSA it all fell apart.  That isn't how it happened though.  We were failing in the A10.  We are recruiting to the same conference as some of our peers who appear to know how to win.

When we start finishing in the top half of this terrible league then we can complain.  Until then we are just one of the programs that makes this a bad league.

A solution without firing people? I'm pretty sure we have been making suggestions for years, decades even.  So many of our issues aren't rocket science, but the solutions appear to be too "complex" for our leadership to understand.  There are two individuals who have watched over our complete failure.  The responsibility for our current situation is in them.  Blaming football or our conference for our current debacle is removing the burden from where it belongs.  If they can't lead us to success, which they have shown they can't, then they shouldn't be here.   If they won't recognize that and depart on their own then they must be ushered out.  Judy has had multiple opportunities to leave on a high note.  The fact that she's overstayed her time is on her.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:49:27 am by NinerWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 06:48:07 am
MT has years of sun belt level facilities that moved to CUSA and they are 14th.

It isnít the cusas fault we are a dumpster fire.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:42 am
clt says this chat page does come up with many good ideas that could easily be implemented by the AD and school.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:12 am

Elrod, I find your post to be well intentioned, and I want to honestly respond to all aspects of it. 

First you said we have no natural recruiting areas, but I find this to be false.  The city of Charlotte has plenty of talent for all sports.  We just have to sell them a product that makes them want to stay here.

Second, are you aware many of those transfers are stating on twitter their transfer was a result of athletic department leadership? 

Third, Of course we supported CUSA, we had no other option.  Mike Tranghese told Judy in the 90's that we would be left behind without football, and we were.  The Judy hate is not new on this board.  In fact, I joined this board to defend our AD as a student.  I was wrong.  Football has brought the disdain to a larger portion of our fan base. The people on this board have been ready for new leadership for some time now.

Fourth, I find calling for a 64 year old woman's job pretty distasteful as well.  Can you imagine how poor she is at her job that now thousands are ok with it?  We all have jobs here.  Were all regular people.  We all know the current political climate.  I can assure you nobody here wouldn't be doing what we are doing if we didn't know we are right. 

Finally, I think that we have a very nuanced view if you care to stick around to hear it.  We have listened and responded to your perspective.  Do you care to listen and respond to ours?

My ideas:
I love what UMass has done, with basketball in a good league, and a football independent.  I think there's much more upward mobility.

I think we need a much more vibrant donor base. Whales are good, but our booster club should have much more common folk. 

We have to stick to our recruiting plan again.  Are you following that?  Our recruiting is a nightmare.

We have to stop extending coaches on knee jerk reactions following one decent season. 

These are an AD's responsibility in my view. 

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 07:58:52 am

You have to understand the history of how we got to where we are, and the statements made by the AD along the way.  Many of us have a much different experience with our basketball team than others.  I wouldn't say that CUSA is where any of us want to be other than the baseball team, but it was our best option when bringing on football.  Judy could have started football two decades ago and was even warned that the school was going to be booted from the original CUSA.  This included these teams:

Cincinnati
Louisville
Marquette
St. Louis
East Carolina
DePaul
Memphis
Houston
South Florida
TCU
UAB
Tulane
So. Miss.

So 6 of these teams are in the AAC, 1 in the A10, 1 in the ACC, 1 in the Big 12, 2 in the Big East, and 2 are with us in CUSA.  We were a perennial top 3 team in this league in basketball.  Now we are with and in a worse position than 2 of these teams (UAB and So. Miss.)  I believe there was only one person in charge from the time that we were in that league to where we are today.  There is no justification for that person to be around.  Upper management refuses to remove that person so you are witnessing the anger of alumni. 

As far as ideas, the biggest thing to help everyone where we are would be to blow up the G5, create regional conferences, and try to rebuild these schools this way.  We missed the boat, probably for decades to come for getting in a P5 conference.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 08:15:26 am

This borders on a Presidential level of self awareness.

No one, the AD or fans, expected CUSA to be this bad in basketball. Most didn't expect the divide between the p5 and everyone else to become even worse. The return on investment has diminished when you consider the factors you mentioned as well as a few others (travel, funds, ticket sales, etc.).

All of what you referenced is true. We took a risk. Right now it doesn't look like it was for the best.

That being said, if you are in a bottom conference you should be aiming to be the big fish in the small pond. Especially when you consider our basketball history. There is no excuse for being 12th, 13th, etc. in a league this bad. And not just once, but continually.

My nephew moved from a great school district in Connecticut to a poor school district in eastern NC. At first he and my sister in law were complaining about it (despite it being her decision to move). I challenged him to use the background that he has and use his new environment as an advantage to try to be top of his class and get good grades so he can rack up the scholarship offers. Now he is kicking ass and I am super proud of him.

We moved neighborhoods and then let our standards drop so much that now we are bottom a class that we used to make fun of. That is what is completely inexcusable. You want to bring up the fact that we changed conferences, which is a moot point* currently, but the fact is that CUSA is so awful there is no reason for us to keep getting worse. That is all on Judy & Phil.

*though if you were to bring it up, it's still Judy's fault because we should have changed conferences 10+ years earlier

*edit*

People keep bringing up the fact that Major left the cupboard bare. This would be a legit excuse if we got better every season. The fact that Price's first year, the year that Major supposedly left him nothing, was his best year proves that this is a BS excuse and proves our point exactly. It's on him to recruit players. He has juniors on this team that he recruited. He has transfers and Jucos that he recruited. Three years in should not be this bad and we should not get worse every year. That proves our point.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:17:53 am by Ben H »

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #45 on: December 13, 2017, 09:06:04 am
To summarize:

Judy was told in 2000 we would receive a bid to the Big East if we started football (she finally admitted this a few years later).  We did nothing and then watched Cincy Louisville, and others wave bye to us.  The shitstorm that followed was a result of this.  Even then, Judy did not want football. It is time for new leadership.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:08:37 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 09:32:02 am
3 cusa teams slated to be top 70 rpi.  its not impossible as some too often suggest here

this list screams one thing to our peers: wtf is going on at Charlotte?  we are easily most underperforming team in league with our history

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/CUSA.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:38:02 am by punchdrunk »

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 09:40:27 am
To be clear I'm not arguing for or against new leadership. I'm saying FireJudy Chants are distasteful to me and make me not want to attend games. It seems to mostly be kids piling on and most of them probably don't know much about it. It's just fun to fire people. I also think firing someone without having any ideas on what the new person would be tasked with doing differently is no way forward.

Some good points have been made about the mistakes the AD made and the list of schools we were associated with is pretty damning all right. I don't know why the big east boat was missed or if the administration would agree it was even possible. I also don't know why davidson can have football and A10 bball while we can't. I guess it all comes back to over reaching on what level to start the program at? Would it make sense to roll that back?

I do know we are mediocre in a bad league. Establishing a new recruiting pipeline takes quite a while when you're not a winner. But, are we missing out on kids who went to other bottom leagues or were they recruited by a top 10 league. Most kids are not going to stay home in that situation.

Dowless you said "As far as ideas, the biggest thing to help everyone where we are would be to blow up the G5, create regional conferences, and try to rebuild these schools this way.  We missed the boat, probably for decades to come for getting in a P5 conference." .
I don't understand, what is G5?

ImFromClayton you said "
My ideas:
I love what UMass has done, with basketball in a good league, and a football independent.  I think there's much more upward mobility.

I think we need a much more vibrant donor base. Whales are good, but our booster club should have much more common folk. 

We have to stick to our recruiting plan again.  Are you following that?  Our recruiting is a nightmare.

We have to stop extending coaches on knee jerk reactions following one decent season. 

These are an AD's responsibility in my view. "

I don't know what recruiting plan we're not sticking to but your post makes sense to me. If we could come up with a succinct list of ideas like this perhaps the admin would listen and provide some answers.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #48 on: December 13, 2017, 09:51:08 am
elrod,
since you claim #firejuyrose is distasteful, where is your post on MANY distasteful things Ju-Bois combo has done?  The bar of taste was not lowered by fans but admin. 

mightymitchfan

• Junior
Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 10:00:15 am
To be clear I'm not arguing for or against new leadership. I'm saying FireJudy Chants are distasteful to me and make me not want to attend games. It seems to mostly be kids piling on and most of them probably don't know much about it. It's just fun to fire people. I also think firing someone without having any ideas on what the new person would be tasked with doing differently is no way forward.

Some good points have been made about the mistakes the AD made and the list of schools we were associated with is pretty damning all right. I don't know why the big east boat was missed or if the administration would agree it was even possible. I also don't know why davidson can have football and A10 bball while we can't. I guess it all comes back to over reaching on what level to start the program at? Would it make sense to roll that back?

I do know we are mediocre in a bad league. Establishing a new recruiting pipeline takes quite a while when you're not a winner. But, are we missing out on kids who went to other bottom leagues or were they recruited by a top 10 league. Most kids are not going to stay home in that situation.

Dowless you said "As far as ideas, the biggest thing to help everyone where we are would be to blow up the G5, create regional conferences, and try to rebuild these schools this way.  We missed the boat, probably for decades to come for getting in a P5 conference." .
I don't understand, what is G5?

ImFromClayton you said "
My ideas:

These are an AD's responsibility in my view. "

I don't know what recruiting plan we're not sticking to but your post makes sense to me. If we could come up with a succinct list of ideas like this perhaps the admin would listen and provide some answers.

So people chanting fire Judy Rose makes you want to stop attending games but the product we are putting on the floor doesnít?

I think what the administration is doing off largely the backs of student fees is just as distasteful if not downright criminal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:01:48 am by mightymitchfan »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos